Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,900 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 AM

Panama (Central America) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Panama (Central America) (7661 Views)

Naija in the Central America/Caribbeans (Barbados), Pls Lets Meet Here / Travelling To Belize (central America) With Assurance Of Working Permit / Have Any Nigeria Study Or Live In Belize Central America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Panama (Central America) by samboribo(m): 2:08am On Nov 06, 2008
good day, people!

i was just wondering if there's anyone here that currently lives in panama or has been to panama. i would also appreciate any useful views shared in this thread about work, school, life etc for a foreigner in panama for those who have some knowledge about this central american country.

thank you!

cool cool
Re: Panama (Central America) by shotster50(m): 1:55am On Nov 10, 2008
Panama is a big destination for retirees ( that is retired people from western countries, going to spend the rest of their lives there).
Panama has one of the lowest costs of living in all Central and South America. Colombia is cheaper if you don't mind being an occasional kidnap/robbery victim. Actually many legitimate Colombians have moved to Panama and are setting up businesses here. Honduras is cheaper but there is no infrastructure for medical, phones, internet etc. Ecuador has little infrastructure but it sure is cheap. Belize isn't so cheap and has little infrastructure. Costa Rica is not really cheaper and has a serious crime problem plus there are no longer benefits for Expats and you would have to pay income tax on your offshore income like retirement, social security etc in Costa Rica. Mexico has a serious crime problem with drug gangs executing mayors and police chiefs their first day in office and kidnappings are common. It is debatable if Mexico is cheaper than Panama but they do tax offshore income in Mexico so it is probably more expensive for this reason alone and the crime situation makes it hazardous. I am sure you could find some safe areas in rural Mexico but then you have no infrastructure like internet, phones, cell phones, good highways, medical, good water, etc. So that brings us back to Panama which is the only country that seems to have it all - no taxes on offshore income, extremely low crime (lowest crime rate in Latin America), great food (not good, great), very good internet at USA prices, good phones, good cell phones, cable and satellite TV, friendly people, the ability to buy just about anything you can buy in the USA probably for the same price or less, many consumer goods at a fraction of the USA prices, nice climate, 2.5 hours by plane to Miami and so forth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama (Central America) by samboribo(m): 8:43am On Nov 10, 2008
@shotster
thanks for that concise, but highly comprehensive note on Central America. could you buzz me anytime on Y! chat (id right under my NL username) so we can relate more.

really appreciate, bro!

cool
Re: Panama (Central America) by OGUNS2002: 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2008
shotster50:

Panama is a big destination for retirees ( that is retired people from western countries, going to spend the rest of their lives there).
Panama has one of the lowest costs of living in all Central and South America. Colombia is cheaper if you don't mind being an occasional kidnap/robbery victim. Actually many legitimate Colombians have moved to Panama and are setting up businesses here. Honduras is cheaper but there is no infrastructure for medical, phones, internet etc. Ecuador has little infrastructure but it sure is cheap. Belize isn't so cheap and has little infrastructure. Costa Rica is not really cheaper and has a serious crime problem plus there are no longer benefits for Expats and you would have to pay income tax on your offshore income like retirement, social security etc in Costa Rica. Mexico has a serious crime problem with drug gangs executing mayors and police chiefs their first day in office and kidnappings are common. It is debatable if Mexico is cheaper than Panama but they do tax offshore income in Mexico so it is probably more expensive for this reason alone and the crime situation makes it hazardous. I am sure you could find some safe areas in rural Mexico but then you have no infrastructure like internet, phones, cell phones, good highways, medical, good water, etc. So that brings us back to Panama which is the only country that seems to have it all - no taxes on offshore income, extremely low crime (lowest crime rate in Latin America), great food (not good, great), very good internet at USA prices, good phones, good cell phones, cable and satellite TV, friendly people, the ability to buy just about anything you can buy in the USA probably for the same price or less, many consumer goods at a fraction of the USA prices, nice climate, 2.5 hours by plane to Miami and so forth.
good explaination, hope it helps
Re: Panama (Central America) by samboribo(m): 10:52pm On Nov 10, 2008
please, more opinions can come in.

thanks!

cool
Re: Panama (Central America) by fe32(m): 4:20pm On Feb 08, 2009
samboribo, please i need gist on this panama thing
Re: Panama (Central America) by promise2(f): 9:05pm On Feb 09, 2009
could you please tell me more about BELIZE, i may do my master in that country, can i be able to get part time job while i school?

Can someone also get part time job as a student in Panama.

pls how do you categorize these two countries in terms of Studying there and surviving?

If any one also know how to get their student visa will also appreciate, i mean the pprocess of getting the visa.
Re: Panama (Central America) by promise2(f): 12:29am On Feb 10, 2009
SAMBORIBO,

Which school do you intend to apply in Panama? any info on the school fees?
Re: Panama (Central America) by fe32(m): 9:05am On Feb 12, 2009
promise2 and samboribo, abeeg any info on these two , panama and belize, am about tryin to get a belize visa, info on jobs and schools please, specially panama
Re: Panama (Central America) by cutieme(m): 2:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
Hello anyone here in.panama please tell us how to get the visa. o
Re: Panama (Central America) by blackcherry: 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2021
Bros & sis, do we have any Nairalanders living in Panama? I am learning & curious how life is there. For a single person, no kid in please.
Re: Panama (Central America) by noskcid(m): 4:49am On Jun 05, 2021
What’s visa like in Panama and what are the procedures?
Someone should please explain
Re: Panama (Central America) by Btcking49ja: 11:44am On Jun 09, 2021
Dem no gree reply oooo

(1) (Reply)

Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad / How Much Is UAE Flight Ticket(cheapest) / Dubai Of 1990 Vs Dubai Of 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.