Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections (38306 Views)

7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections / Pure Cranberry! Not Concentrates! Wipe Out Urinary Tract Infections Out ! / How To Use Onions To Treat Urinary Tract Infections, Dry Cough, Hypertension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Eyop: 11:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are the second most common reason people visit their doctors each year. Men get UTIs, but they are much more common in women — more than eight million women head to their doctor for UTI treatment annually. And 20 percent of these women will get a second UTI.

If you’ve ever had a UTI, you’ll probably never forget the symptoms. It usually starts with a sudden and frequent need to visit the potty. When you get there, you can squeeze out only a little bit of urine, and that’s usually accompanied by a burning sensation in your bladder and/or urethra. In more extreme cases you may end up with fever, chills, back pain, and even blood in your urine.

The good news is that there are many home remedies you can try to prevent or remedy a UTI. Go to the next page to learn more.
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Neither the Editors of Consumer Guide (R), Publications International, Ltd., the author nor publisher take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading or following the information contained in this information. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Before undertaking any course of treatment, the reader must seek the advice of their physician or other health care provider.

1. Baking Soda
UTIs that last longer than two days require medical intervention. Untreated UTIs can infect the kidneys and turn into a much more serious problem. To help prevent a UTI from developing or nip one in the bud, try adding 1 teaspoon baking soda to a glass of water as it may help ease your infection. The soda neutralizes the acidity in your urine, speeding along your recovery.

2. Blueberries
Blueberries and cranberries are from the same plant family and seem to have the same bacteria-inhibiting properties. In one study, blueberry juice was found to prevent UTIs. Since you’re not likely to find a gallon of blueberry juice at your local store, try sprinkling a handful of these flavorful, good-for-you berries over your morning cereal.

3. Cranberry Juice
Many studies have found that drinking cranberry juice may help you avoid urinary tract infections. It appears that cranberry juice prevents infection-causing bacteria from bedding down in your bladder, and it also has a very mild antibiotic affect. Drinking as little as 4 ounces of cranberry juice a day can help keep your bladder infection-free. But if you tend to get UTIs or are dealing with one right now, try to drink at least 2 to 4 glasses of cranberry juice a day. If pure cranberry juice is just too bitter for your taste buds, you can substitute cranberry juice cocktail . It seems to have the same effect as the pure stuff. Take note: If you have a UTI, cranberry juice is not a replacement for doctor-prescribed antibiotics in treating your infection.

4. Pineapple
Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapples. In one study, people with a UTI who were given bromelain along with their usual round of antibiotics got rid of their infection. Half the people who were given a placebo plus an antibiotic showed no signs of lingering infection. Eating a cup of pineapple tastes good and may just help rid you of your infection.

5. Water
If you tend to get urinary tract infections, be sure to drink plenty of water — about 8 eight-ounce glasses a day. You should be urinating at least every four to five hours. If you are currently dealing with an infection, drink buckets of water to fight it off. Drink a full 8 ounces of water every hour. The river of water in your system will help flush out bacteria by making you urinate more frequently.
You can also heat up some water on the stove and pour it into a hot water bottle. Place the water bottle on your lower abdomen to help ease any pain caused by the infection.

6. Vitamin C
Some doctors are prescribing at least 5,000 mg or more of vitamin C a day for patients who develop recurrent urinary tract infections. Vitamin C keeps the bladder healthy by acidifying the urine, essentially putting up a no-trespassing sign for potentially harmful bacteria.

7. Do’s and Don’ts
DO use it. When you’ve got to go, go. It sounds simple, but how many times have you held it — when you’re in a business meeting, when you’re stuck in traffic, when you’re at a concert and the lines are too long. If you hold your urine, you’re more likely to get a backup of bacteria and end up with an infection.

DO consider cotton. Anything that comes into close contact with any of those ultra-personal areas should be cotton. Women should wear cotton underwear or cotton-lined panty hose to help stay fresher and dryer. Guys should go for boxer shorts.
DON’T drink alcohol. Alcohol is an irritant to your bladder, just what you don’t need when you’re dealing with an infection.
DO cut the caffeine. Also avoid caffeine-loaded drinks such as caffeinated soda pop, coffee, and tea. Caffeine can irritate the bladder, which is the last thing you need when a UTI has taken hold.

DO pull out a nonprescription pain reliever. Taking acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or aspirin can help ease the pain during your infection.
DO follow the rules for making love. If you have trouble with UTIs, be sure you and your partner clean up before making love. After you make love, head to the bathroom to urinate and get rid of any potentially harmful bacteria. And try using a condom instead of a diaphragm. Diaphragms may promote UTIs.

DO go with the flow. After urinating, be sure to wipe from front to back to keep bacteria from getting close to the urethra.
These home remedies can help you prevent a UTI or eliminate one already in progress. However, be sure to check with your doctor, especially if a UTI lasts longer than two days.

Source:
health.howstuffworks.com

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by justi4jesu(f): 6:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Nice. cheesy cheesy
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by CharlieMaria(m): 6:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Ok
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by kennyonthrone(m): 6:01am On Sep 27, 2014
OP give us the Nigerian version.....blueberry ni!blackberry kor!

7 Likes

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by TRADELYN: 6:02am On Sep 27, 2014
grin Prevention is better than Cure grin

A good intimate wash would be ideal for prevention.
Sadly, it's not too common in Africa today.

Interestingly, many "House Wives" are now earning "free" money by selling this product to their friends, relatives, neighbours, members in clubs/churches/mosques, etc...with zero complaints recorded (we would love to mention some names here if we are allowed by some Nairalanders).

As the Marketing Consultant for a leading intimate wash in Nigeria, we are looking for those who are already dealing in any type of feminine products. Or those who have great influence (connection) on ladies/women like in groups, clubs, unions, etc.

Right now, we are managing a brand of FEMININE INTIMATE WASH; this is needed by every lady/woman. We will give you all the supports you need to succeed. Trust me, the profit per unit is from 50% and relatively affordable by all. We need SOLE DISTRIBUTOR per state nationwide. Whoever is interested should email tradelyn@gmail.com for more details grin cheesy grin
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Nobody: 6:11am On Sep 27, 2014
Also, original gbogbonishe...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Nobody: 6:12am On Sep 27, 2014
Lower abdominal pain
Dizziness, tiredness,body ache and underflow of menstruation (it only comes twice a mnth instead of normal 7 days) nd,tasteless urine

@Op, what can u classify d above Symptoms as?
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by erayo2GCA(m): 6:13am On Sep 27, 2014
thanks for the info
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by micholalo(m): 6:15am On Sep 27, 2014
erayo2GCA: thanks for the info

cool
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by mainheart(m): 6:21am On Sep 27, 2014
guys to stop alcohol, not today. only ginger and kaikai that infection would not near your household again.hmmmmm nice information

2 Likes

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 27, 2014
I got scared when I saw your headings. Thought you wanted to tell me to put baking soda in 'my factory' shocked shocked
...Thanks. #bookmarked

2 Likes

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Yustash001(m): 6:27am On Sep 27, 2014
9ice one...@op
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by EmmaOgbu(m): 6:29am On Sep 27, 2014
Pale
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by DesChyko: 6:32am On Sep 27, 2014
Great article.
The best of them all seem to be the blueberry/cranberry options, both of which I've never ever come across in my life, either alone or as an ingredient in any food source.
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by AMAKAVIOLA: 6:36am On Sep 27, 2014
And d list continuessss
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by idyobot: 6:38am On Sep 27, 2014
Interresting and educative
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by calobinna(m): 6:43am On Sep 27, 2014
ismokeweed: Also, original gbogbonishe...
nice stuff OP
follow this link bro if you want weed to be legalized www.nairaland.com/1889887/thread-those-love-weed#26056777
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by zigger(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Thanks@ op but did u say "if u tend to get UTI drink plenty of water"
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by klodike(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2014
When we have antibiotics, why suffer yourself with low potent treatment and risk complications. If u have symptoms, please go to hospital and see a doctor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Eyop: 6:51am On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie: I got scared when I saw your headings. Thought you wanted to tell me to put baking soda in 'my factory' shocked shocked
...Thanks. #bookmarked
cheesy grin Madame, can you please explain the emboldened cheesy?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Smartlux(m): 6:55am On Sep 27, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Eyop: 6:56am On Sep 27, 2014
olatunji21: Lower abdominal pain
Dizziness, tiredness,body ache and underflow of menstruation (it only comes twice a mnth instead of normal 7 days) nd,tasteless urine

@Op, what can u classify d above Symptoms as?

I will advise you to go see a medical practitioner. Those symptoms you listed are also associated with other ailments so a proper diagnosis will help pinpoint the particular area to address.
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by chronique(m): 7:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Nice one @ OP: what I still do not know,is how the problem gets to occur over and over again.
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 27, 2014
Eyop:
cheesy grin Madame, can you please explain the emboldened cheesy?

ahah, why not?
A factory just as the name implies:-
an industrial site, usually consisting of buildings and machinery, or more commonly a complex having several buildings, where workers(mine is just one worker mbok-it's a private factory) manufacture goods or operate machines processing one product(sperm-cells) into another(baby)

Hope you understand now? kiss

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by infogenius(m): 7:03am On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie: I got scared when I saw your headings. Thought you wanted to tell me to put baking soda in 'my factory' shocked shocked
...Thanks. #bookmarked

Factory? What does this "your factory" manufacture.I will like to know . Pls permit me to ask.

op: These home remedies can help you prevent a UTI or eliminate one already in progress. However, be sure to check with your doctor, especially if a UTI lasts longer than two days.

This tells it all. It is not a cure for a fully blown U.T.I but for prevention & reducing the spread of the one in progress.Visit ur dr, if d U.T.I is a fully blown one.

Some of its symptoms may include;

1. Cloudy Urine at times it is bad smelling and may contain some blood.

2. Pain and burning urination usually accompanied with urgent frequent urination.

3.Mild fever

In fact the symptoms are in close resemblance with symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 27, 2014
calobinna: nice stuff OP
follow this link bro if you want weed to be legalized www.nairaland.com/1889887/thread-those-love-weed#26056777
Na me come like igbo pass abi?
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Eyop: 7:09am On Sep 27, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

ahah, why not?
A factory just as the name implies:-
an industrial site, usually consisting of buildings and machinery, or more commonly a complex having several buildings, where workers(mine is just one worker mbok-it's a private factory) manufacture goods or operate machines processing one product(sperm-cells) into another(baby)

Hope you understand now? kiss
Madam i now understand you completely. Thank God you never attempted using Baking Soda in your factory because that would have been a disaster cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Iceking1(m): 7:12am On Sep 27, 2014
Kudos 2 uuu
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by sanyablaze(m): 7:16am On Sep 27, 2014
Would gonorrhea also ne considered as the UTI.
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by GWslim(f): 7:21am On Sep 27, 2014
DO YOU KNOW THAT GREENWORLD NIGERIA HAS PACKAGED ALL THESE ITEM LISTED IN A BOTTLE .VISIT www.greenworldherbalsupplement.org or call Omolola on 07037533426/08084260174
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by Chartey(m): 7:21am On Sep 27, 2014
Please disregard all these things and see your doctor. No joking with health!
Re: 7 Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections by calobinna(m): 7:23am On Sep 27, 2014
for those who love weed and want it to be legalized follow this link www.nairaland.com/1889887/thread-those-love-weed#26056777

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu NMA Election Ends In Violence, Ballot Papers Torn (Graphic Photos) / Ladies Beware: 6 Health Risks Of Wearing A G-string / 11 Signs Of Heart Disease That Should Not Be Ignored

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.