Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? (6383 Views)

How Biblical Is Church Wedding? / Why Is Church Politics Worse Than Nigerian Politics / Is Church Attendance Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 2:42pm On Sep 28, 2014
If we should tackle things truthfully.

Been a Christian does not etauls going to church. It means Been Christlike.

You attend olumba olumba does that make you a christian??
No.

You attend Christ embassy, Coza, redeem, does all this make u a christian ? No.

With the above points of mine. I rest my case that you Ned not go to church to call yourself a Christian
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 3:04pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus: Dbestmax

And how does that relate to it been compulsory going to a church

Does that relate to it been a must to going to church?

Those are the lies perpetrated by the bible. However I will answer this from a non atheist point of view.

Mr how does her church or your church gathering prooves a gathering in gods name??

She said this church have misunderstanding about money and others.

Also which church in Nigeria is clean?? Is it Synagogue or Christ embassy? Or catholic?

All these churches have croaches. Members too are hypocrite that pretends to be Christ like. Some are benchbwarmers.

Do you callball this gathering in the lords name

These church gathering have wrong beliefs and interpretation and practuse is this gathering in gods name?

I never said it's a a place dwelled by god I only emphasize the contrary.

You shoot yourself. You shoot yourself at the bolded. Do you now agree a christian must not go to church to worship god??

Beside what makes you term the church a holy place

Also support arguments with scriptural verse. Thank you
I don't Argue frnd...I can only put it to u...
U segregated my points to counter them but ur counter points are totally clueless...
David clearly stated it in psalm 122 v 1 saying.and I quote.'I was glad when they said let us go into the house of the Lord'..
Psalm > 133 v 1 Also stated.. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!..My brother 4get about wat hapens in chrches 2day ..d point is wat mind did u as an individual come into the church with....bt know it now that there is joy in worshiping d Lord together with ur brethren...for in unity and peace we are stronger...so if u ask d question wether u hav to be in church to worship God...its totally 'YES'
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Donsheddy: 3:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
Going to church is nt an automatic ticket to heaven. We re the temple of the most high and nt d buldings we go to every sunday. Bt we go to chc to learn mre nd to have mre undastanding of the world of God.
If ure obedient and also u do wat God ask us to do. Then ure a christain
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 3:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
Dbestmax:
U segregated my points to counter them but ur counter points are totally clueless...
David clearly stated it in psalm 122 v 1 saying.and I quote.'I was glad when they said let us go into the house of the Lord'..
Psalm > 133 v 1 Also stated.. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!..My brother 4get about wat hapens in chrches 2day ..d point is wat mind did u as an individual come into the church with....bt know it now that there is joy in worshiping d Lord together with ur brethren...for in unity and peace we are stronger...so if u ask d question wether u hav to be in church to worship God...its totally 'YES'

David been glad when he was told going into the house of God have nothing to do with what the Poster ask. One person can be happy going into the house does it mean another is

Psalm talks about dwelling in Unity. So how did you arrive to this as support for church going.

Its ironic how you say today church should be ignored meanwhile the poster talks about today church.

Dbestmax in trying to give opinions o not act stupid by support your god or beliefs accept faults where there is.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 3:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
geophyscist: most people equate christian as church going and i think you are one of them.

[b]constant teaching
of the word of God opens up your life to a new
meaning[b]
Note the bolded..that is d guy's point..spiritual growth is about interaction with ur fellow brethren..it makes u grow faster spiritually..as a true chrsitian bro u [b]have[b] to be in church..its never said "must"..cos staying in your own house to worship could open doors to distractions from withersoever..hope u get me
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by geophyscist: 3:31pm On Sep 28, 2014
Dbestmax:
op there is no church in heaven.only righteousness is recognise.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 4:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

David been glad when he was told going into the house of God have nothing to do with what the Poster ask. One person can be happy going into the house does it mean another is

Psalm talks about dwelling in Unity. So how did you arrive to this as support for church going.

Its ironic how you say today church should be ignored meanwhile the poster talks about today church.

Dbestmax in trying to give opinions o not act stupid by support your god or beliefs accept faults where there is.
Actually d poster didn't bring me ds far but u..ur own post did.for me to make u understand wat d poster is saying..I had 2 make some deviations...listen to me..the problems we are having in churches today is as a result of the ignorance of some hypocritic brethren in the church who use the house of God as a business ground..so poster I think you shud hold on to ur own faith and don't allow wat is hapning around d church bring u down..we're all human beings so the enemy wud alwes try to sow a seed of discord amongst the brethren to put them in disarray..although Mariole dosent go 2 chrch shaa..

And u YMODULUS...saying "One person can be happy going into the house does it mean another is"...ds is my reply

As a child of God u shud be happy going into the presence of your Creator..for he said in the book of
Matthew > 11.28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
So no mata wat the problem is you shud be happy going into the presence of the lord knowing he can change watever problem u might be facing..
A saying once put it that..."A problem shared is half solved"..so going to church and sharing ur problems with ur brethren could just be where god want your solution to come from...(Am not saying people shud go to churches and start seeking for alms)

No Arguments..Am still putting it to you....As a christian u have to(not Must) be in church to get all the concentration you need and to share thoughts with ur fellow brethren for a faster and better spiritual development...
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 4:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
geophyscist: op there is no church in heaven.only righteousness is recognise.

Try comprehend ur own point brother...
Heaven is already known to be a place where GOD dwells...so y seek a church in heaven when u are already in his presence..been in a Church on earth to worship God is lik trying to tap a feeling of wat heaven feels lik(the togetherness d oneness d unity..d joy)that is d aim of a church...so to make heaven u must be righteous...there u are correct...
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by marieolae(f): 4:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
Donsheddy: Going to church is nt an automatic ticket to heaven. We re the temple of the most high and nt d buldings we go to every sunday. Bt we go to chc to learn mre nd to have mre undastanding of the world of God.
If ure obedient and also u do wat God ask us to do. Then ure a christain
thanks alot
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by 10thangel(f): 5:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

You need to ask yourself is there a God at the first place.

I will neglect the fact am Atheist and answer you from a neutral perspective but outside the four walls of the religion thought or dogma.

there is no command in scripture which says that a believer in Christ must attend a church building in order to worship God? This is true. Also, there are no examples of any follower of Christ going to a church building to worship God. They worshipped God by their obedience to Him in every area of life, every day of their lives. They did not worship Him by giving only one hour of their time every week to some temple made with hands.

A "Church" is basically a temple made with hands. Does God dwell in temples made with hands? Scripture tells us:

Acts 7:48, "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:24, "God...dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Keep in mind that the real question we seek to ask is not whether we are to worship, but how we are to worship. Perhaps the question is also where we are to do that. Are we able to do these things only in a building whose mortgage payments are being paid by a State-incorporated ecclesiastical institution, or may we obey them in our homes, or in a context of decentralized, informal, voluntary gatherings? The question before us is, need we "attend church?" Need we hear the "sermons" of special priests in order to obey the Biblical commands to exhort one another and discuss the Scriptures? Can we obey these commands if we only "attend church"?

Answer is no

O yes, there is no place that said you must enter a building to worship God but the Bible said in Heb 10:25 that we shld nt neglect the fellowship of believers. This is because, after salvation, there is spiritual growth and for you to experience one, u need fellowship. Fellowship helps to strengthen your faith when you rub minds together. I am not a pastor, just a believer but on my bed, I receive info from God, so I believe without doubt that there is God. You only need to have a personal relationship with God be4 u can know of His existence. Thanks
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 10:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
Dbestmax:

Noo Arguments..Am still putting it to you....As a christian u have to (not Must) be in church to get all the concentration you need and to share thoughts with ur fellow brethren for a faster and better spiritual development...

That settles it. And answers her question. Also that supports my view
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 10:23pm On Sep 28, 2014
10thAngel.

This is for you

-------++++++++++++++++++++++---------

Hebrews 10:25 has been used to try to convince people that they must not forsake going to church. In fact, it is the only Scripture in the New Testament that could remotely have been used in such a way. But it is wrong to use it this way.

The Greek and the context simply do not support it, and when we understand the true meaning of Hebrews 10:25, the entire idea of "going to church" as something we must do entirely falls apart.

The truth is that the ekklēsia (the word mistranslated as "church" in most English Bibles) is not something we go to; it is what we are. As Christians, we cannot forsake our assembly because we are always assembled before God. We are the assembly, the "called out" of Christ. (The literal meaning of ekklēsia is the "called out ones," but it was used by Greeks to refer to the people who were called out of the community to be members of the assembly.) Certainly, the Bible also speaks of the ekklēsia in a local sense as being in a city, according to (kata) houses or families, and as coming together (sunerchomai—literally, "come together"wink.

But it is never spoken of as something apart from us that we go to, nor is our coming together locally ever spoken of as a duty.

In summary,
, Hebrews 10:25 tells us not to forsake the promise and blessed hope (verse 23 and Titus 2:13) of our gathering to Jesus Christ at His coming (2 Thessalonians 2:1), which is the custom of some. Anciently, the Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection (see Matthew 22:23).
Today, many who call themselves Christians, such as liberal theologians and full- or hyper-preterists, do not believe in a literal and future return of Jesus Christ and resurrection from the dead. Others who once had the name Christian also forsake their hope. Saying "my lord delayeth his coming" (Matthew 24:48) and "the resurrection is past already" (2 Timothy 2:18) are both errors. Hebrews 10:25 tells us that instead of forsaking the promise and hope, we are to be encouraging one another, and so much the more as we see the day of His return approaching.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by 10thangel(f): 10:58pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus: 10thAngel.

This is for you

-------++++++++++++++++++++++---------

Hebrews 10:25 has been used to try to convince people that they must not forsake going to church. In fact, it is the only Scripture in the New Testament that could remotely have been used in such a way. But it is wrong to use it this way.

The Greek and the context simply do not support it, and when we understand the true meaning of Hebrews 10:25, the entire idea of "going to church" as something we must do entirely falls apart.

The truth is that the ekklēsia (the word mistranslated as "church" in most English Bibles) is not something we go to; it is what we are. As Christians, we cannot forsake our assembly because we are always assembled before God. We are the assembly, the "called out" of Christ. (The literal meaning of ekklēsia is the "called out ones," but it was used by Greeks to refer to the people who were called out of the community to be members of the assembly.) Certainly, the Bible also speaks of the ekklēsia in a local sense as being in a city, according to (kata) houses or families, and as coming together (sunerchomai—literally, "come together"wink.

But it is never spoken of as something apart from us that we go to, nor is our coming together locally ever spoken of as a duty.

In summary,
, Hebrews 10:25 tells us not to forsake the promise and blessed hope (verse 23 and Titus 2:13) of our gathering to Jesus Christ at His coming (2 Thessalonians 2:1), which is the custom of some. Anciently, the Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection (see Matthew 22:23).
Today, many who call themselves Christians, such as liberal theologians and full- or hyper-preterists, do not believe in a literal and future return of Jesus Christ and resurrection from the dead. Others who once had the name Christian also forsake their hope. Saying "my lord delayeth his coming" (Matthew 24:48) and "the resurrection is past already" (2 Timothy 2:18) are both errors. Hebrews 10:25 tells us that instead of forsaking the promise and hope, we are to be encouraging one another, and so much the more as we see the day of His return approaching.

Act 2: 44. Thru out d bible, dre is always a meeting place, the tent, temple, synaguoge, upper room, house to house. always a place of fellowship. David said, I am glad when they say let us go to d house of d Lord. there is always a place. but spiritual growth depends on d individual but can be influenced thru fellowship.

from the last line of ur contribution "we are to be encouraging one another" How do u think one can encourage each other? From my own perspective, it can only be thru fellowship.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 11:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
[quote author=10thangel]

O yes, there is no place that said you must enter a building to worship God but the Bible said in Heb 10:25 that we shld nt neglect the fellowship of believers.

you just answered the marieolae the poster question
My dear Marieolae all the above points goes to show that you need not go to church to be a christian.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 11:15pm On Sep 28, 2014
10thangel:

Act 2: 44. Thru out d bible, dre is always a meeting place, the tent, temple, synaguoge, upper room, house to house. always a place of fellowship. David said, I am glad when they say let us go to d house of d Lord. there is always a place. but spiritual growth depends on d individual but can be influenced thru fellowship
How does this relate to been compulsory going to church to be call a christian??

david was glad when he went into the presence of the lord. he didn't say going to church is necessary to be a christian.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 11:51pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ymodulus:

That settles it. And answers her question. Also that supports my view
Note that there is a line btween christians and church goers..Church is a must 4 a tru christian ...so 4 u nt 2 b der means u're not .....case closed...u shudnt realy be tallking bout dis...a true atheist has notin 2 do wit God...
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 12:20am On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax:
Note that there is a line btween christians and church goers..Church is a must 4 a tru christian ...so 4 u nt 2 b der means u're not .....case closed...u shudnt realy be tallking bout dis...a true atheist has notin 2 do wit God...
are you implying am fake atheist?? i said it earlier that i will answer this from a neutral perspective keeping my atheist believe outside of which if i had decided to not let that be i would have just said there is no God of which there is none
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by viruz007(m): 1:06am On Sep 29, 2014
marieolae: ok my question is..can I worship God from my house? Without going to church..Is it really bad?

Speaking for myself, the Word said not to forsake the assembly of the saints... There's a feeling you get when you fellowship with your brethren in Christ than when you want to do it from the comfort of your home. There's a reason the early Christians gathered together, so that they could edify and help one another grow. Salvation is an individual race that requires team support. Am not God that will tell you if it's wrong or not, but let the Word be thy guide.

Cheers
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by MizMyColi(f): 6:58am On Sep 29, 2014
XketchDesigns:
You're welcome. However, it wasn't a complement. compliment

Fixed! grin
Thank Me Later wink

2 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by MizMyColi(f): 7:05am On Sep 29, 2014
Marieolae Dbestmax Tosyne2much ITbomb

Look,

“Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any
more than going to a garage makes you an
automobile.”.

And for what it's worth, I don't attend "Church"

Feel free to call me a Christian Atheist.

I don't believe in the God of most parts of the bible anyway wink

Ymodulus, you make me love Atheists.

Mwaaahh!
kiss
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by naijaboiy: 7:08am On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

Fixed! grin
Thank Me Later wink
You did that before me sad

Nice one grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by MizMyColi(f): 7:10am On Sep 29, 2014
naijaboiy:
You did that before me sad

Nice one grin

Lolest

Goodmorning cheesy
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by naijaboiy: 7:13am On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

Lolest

Goodmorning cheesy
Goodmorning Ma cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by tosyne2much(m): 8:43am On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi: Marieolae Dbestmax Tosyne2much ITbomb

Look,

automobile.”.

Mwaaahh!
kiss
yeah u ar so on point but still not going to church is not a bad idea

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 9:05am On Sep 29, 2014
MizMyColi: Marieolae Dbestmax Tosyne2much ITbomb

Look,

automobile.”.

Mwaaahh!
kiss
No body ever said goin to church makes u a christian...Mark my previous words I said as a christian..u have to not Must....bt its only compulsory dat u be in church if u call urself a tru believer
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 9:13am On Sep 29, 2014
Ymodulus:
are you implying am fake atheist?? i said it earlier that i will answer this from a neutral perspective keeping my atheist believe outside of which if i had decided to not let that be i would have just said there is no God of which there is none
I know u wia not born an atheist....something prompted ur switch of belief...So tel me wat realy is dat...cos I hav many friends who just got lazy of going to church or reading d bible and then tagged demselves atheists jst because dey feel d church is a bored zone..As an atheist wat do u believe in..dats wat I want to know.......
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax:
I know u wia not born an atheist....something prompted ur switch of belief...So tel me wat realy is dat...cos I hav many friends who just got lazy of going to church or reading d bible and then tagged demselves atheists jst because dey feel d church is a bored zone..As an atheist wat do u believe in..dats wat I want to know.......

Believe me. When I say he didn't just grow to be an atheist by not going to church.

I ought not to be speaking for him. But he has read more on Islam , Christianity and question several beliefs ,thoughts and doctrine.

I don't even want to go deep just as he said some things should not be pasted here on nairaland.

In summary he became an atheist because of a whole lot of factors and researches
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 11:10am On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax:

Man its a log story I must say.

But my beliefs are

1. No Go
2. No Hell Fire
3. Tithig is wrong
4. Soul are not Immortal
5. Many and many more. Can't just start listing
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 11:13am On Sep 29, 2014
Hadizy:

Believe me. When I say he didn't just grow to be an atheist by not going to church.

I ought not to be speaking for him. But he has read more on Islam , Christianity and question several beliefs ,thoughts and doctrine.

I don't even want to go deep just as he said some things should not be pasted here on nairaland.

In summary he became an atheist because of a whole lot of factors and researches
I see your point...bt I still don't see the reazon why people shud not acknoledge the fact that there is a supreme being who even brought them into this world...If u're(or he is) a true atheist clear me on hw u came into existence on why u breathe..on how the world u live in came to b..since u don't believe that there is a supreme being who made all these happen
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 11:22am On Sep 29, 2014
Ymodulus:

Man its a log story I must say.

But my beliefs are

1. No Go
2. No Hell Fire
3. Tithig is wrong
4. Soul are not Immortal
5. Many and many more. Can't just start listing

U're giving ur beliefs bro...
Wat I need to know are wat prompted them..
Jst lik me I believe in God because I acknloledge d fact that he made me and d whole universe..so as my creator my alleigance I pledge to him and no other...am I communicating??...

1 Like

Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Ymodulus: 11:45am On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax:

U're giving ur beliefs bro...
Wat I need to know are wat prompted them..
Jst lik me I believe in God because I acknloledge d fact that he made me and d whole universe..so as my creator my alleigance I pledge to him and no other...am I communicating??...

I tot u needed them.

Bro many things prompted them

1. Wickedness is the god who calls or potray himself as love
2. Lies in the bible
3. Inconsistency in the bible.
4. Religious lies
5. False Koran stories and inconsistency
6. General research about religion and self is desires
7. Inconclusive evidence of God existence.
So on and on bro.
Re: Is Church Attendance Required To Call Yourself A Christian? by Dbestmax(m): 12:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
Ymodulus:

I tot u needed them.

Bro many things prompted them

1. Wickedness is the god who calls or potray himself as love
2. Lies in the bible
3. Inconsistency in the bible.
4. Religious lies
5. False Koran stories and inconsistency
6. General research about religion and self is desires
7. Inconclusive evidence of God existence.
So on and on bro.

D part of d Bible people see as lies is the part they can't comprehend or read meaning into....D Holy bible was written with inspiration from the holyspirirt and so requires the HolySpirirt for interpretation as well...so can u tell me some parts of dat Bible u dim to be lies...
NB:Ds is no argument ....its sharing of thoughts..so we can actually speak out for wat our belief is

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Historically Analyzing The Crucifixtion And Resurrection Claim. / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? / God,Allah Do We All Serve Same God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.