Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,748 members, 7,806,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates (999 Views)

Chief Zebrudaya Goes Back To School At 64 [PHOTOS] / President Jonathan Commissions 64 Almajiri Model Schools Today / 50% Of Teachers In Sokoto Are Stark Illiterates Says UBEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Omooba77: 7:24am On Sep 30, 2014
The National Mass Education Commission (NMEC) says Nigeria’s adult illiterate population stands at 64 million and described the figure as worrisome.
The Chairman of the Governing Board of the commission, Dr Esther Udehi, made this known on Monday in Awka during a courtesy call on the Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Nkem Okeke.
The visit was part of the activities lined up to mark the International Literacy Day (ILD) in the state.
Udehi said Nigeria’ s dream of attaining the Education For All (EFA) Goal 2015 would become elusive except something was urgently done to reverse the trend.
“It is a shame that in the 21st century we should be having such a number of illiterates. It is thing of concern to everyone.”
She said the ILD celebration was, therefore, an opportunity for the commission to drum up support for adult literacy.

The chairman tasked states to ensure that the 774 local government areas were well equipped and empowered to be the “hearts of advocacy” for literacy.
She noted that the laudable policies of government at all levels could not be achieved with such a large population of illiterates in the country.
“We all know that an illiterate is a danger, not only to himself, but to the society at large,” Udehi said.
In his response, Okeke said that the Anambra Government was conscious of the enormous challenges confronting the education sector, especially in terms of achieving the EFA Goal.
Okeke said the government was committed to ensuring that Anambra became one of the states with the largest population of educated people.
The deputy governor, therefore, pledged the state’s support for the non-formal education sector to achieve this set goal.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/09/29/nigeria-has-64-million-adult-illiterates/

Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Omooba77: 7:25am On Sep 30, 2014
Education is the bedrock of a nation; my wish for independence is that all Nigerians will be literate!
Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by omanifrank(m): 7:25am On Sep 30, 2014
we wil move forward
Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 30, 2014
They say Education is expensive try Ignorance. This indeed is worrisome.
Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Omooba77: 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
I was just thinking; does this mean that approximately half of Nigeria is illiterate? I don't agree with this figure....
Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by beatsbyj2g(m): 1:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
Oluwa oh!!! 64 million out of let's say 200millon this is more Dan worrisome coz it means about 32% or more are illiterate.

And with all this type of news jamb still insist on CBT .
Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Omooba77: 1:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
beatsbyj2g: Oluwa oh!!! 64 million out of let's say 200millon this is more Dan worrisome coz it means about 32% or more are illiterate.

And with all this type of news jamb still insist on CBT .
I assume children below 2 years are excluded.it is wearisome,I pray we all go to school oh......

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2014
Not surprised..Illiteracy and half education is dangerous.......And the factors responsible for such enormous statistics are; People's loss of interest and zeal to go to school because of the situation of things:bribery and corruption in high places,favouritism,nepotism and bad condition of educational sector..

Those who are supposed to motivate and enlighten people on the need to be educated are more concerned with politics and sitting on the fence..

Loss of hope in the betterment of Nigeria as those who are graduates are left to work as "errand boys,political thugs and keke napep drivers" because people at the helm of affairs continue to cart away billions of dollars,oiling the white man's machine(banks) without being prosecuted.

People are becoming comfortable with washing of cars to survive,than getting educated to make real cars because there is no such opportunity in our beloved Nigeria.

Make una no mind me o,I too talk..Tenk embarassed,we can still make it sha...I love my country,Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 64 Million Adult Illiterates by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
Mynd44,Obinoscopy,Farano please help take to fp

(1) (Reply)

Mass Failure Of Law School Exams:i Will Call You To Bar....says Chief Justice / 2015/2016 Sheffield Hallam University Scholarship For Nigerian Students / Delsu Student Asaba Campus Threatended To Shut School Over Unpaid Bursary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.