Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,199 members, 7,780,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:49 PM

How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House (1478 Views)

How To Stop Your Dog From Eating Poo / Shipping A Dog From USA To Nigeria / Importing A Dog From South Africa Or The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:23am On Sep 30, 2014
I have a male German shepherd, 9 months old and he's started marking my house as his territory. its annoying because the urine smells really bad. does anyone have any tips to help me stop him from doing this?
I stay in an upstair and he doesn't pee or poop in the house, normally take him downstairs to pee and poop so don't say I didn't potty train him
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by oluomoadebayo: 11:39am On Sep 30, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect: I have a male German shepherd, 9 months old and he's started marking my house as his territory. its annoying because the urine smells really bad. does anyone have any tips to help me stop him from doing this?
I stay in an upstair and he doesn't pee or poop in the house, normally take him downstairs to pee and poop so don't say I didn't potty train him

Restrict his movement at the moment and only let him go out to poo on the leash. .
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by Eveezy(m): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2014
The fastest way for u to reduce marking is for u to get ur dog neutered/castrated. That way that behaviour would be reduced tho since ur dog has already started, it would be hard or take a longer tym b4 it reduces, and I doubt most Nigerians would want to spay or neuter any of their dogs because frm recent observations, everyone that owns a dog, wants to breed them. So if u rily wana stp d marking, dts d only way u can cos it cannot be totally eradicated
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by chucky234(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
Eveezy: The fastest way for u to reduce marking is for u to get ur dog neutered/castrated. That way that behaviour would be reduced tho since ur dog has already started, it would be hard or take a longer tym b4 it reduces, and I doubt most Nigerians would want to spay or neuter any of their dogs because frm recent observations, everyone that owns a dog, wants to breed them. So if u rily wana stp d marking, dts d only way u can cos it cannot be totally eradicated
Seconded.
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by maxtum(m): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
Wow! Marking of territories by Animal is nature at work and there is no solution to solving this equation. This same thing implies to human as well! Why do you mark your space of fight for a particular space? Cause you feel its your right to protect what belongs to you!.

Animals mostly males do this to let other males and female know that this area belongs to them, this helps in mating and scaring of intruders including your visitors. Scents omits from all living things and this try's to over shadow a previous scent and that what necessitate the aggressions/submission in Animal.

So, the only way is to let the dog stay in his/her corner!
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:32am On Oct 01, 2014
I have no intention of breeding the dog but I don't wanna neuter him. there's no other dog in my house so I don't see any reason for him to be trying to stake out a territory
Re: How To Stop A Dog From Marking The House by Eveezy(m): 5:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect: I have no intention of breeding the dog but I don't wanna neuter him. there's no other dog in my house so I don't see any reason for him to be trying to stake out a territory
It doesn't necesararily mean that there must be dogs in d compound b4 it marks, marking is different frm dominance character, marking enables oda dogs aware that that is their teritory, all dogs within or outsyd ur compound nd it is usually don by matured males only, it isn't trying to fight for space or trying to make one portion for himself, when I was younger, when ever a dog marks I used to say he is trying to tell oda dogs who may sniff dere again dat "I was here" meaning it is his own, dogs re intelligent enuf to leave dat part if dey sniff anoda dog marking scent. So it can be further explained in relationship to humans as like for example, u buy a book nd then write ur name on it to make people that may see d book to identify it as ur own nd anyone who stil steals d book or cancels ur name nd write his, has challenged ur authority. Just same wit dogs nd marking. Neutering reduces it bt it is nt an assurance dt it can be totally eradicated

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of Raw Meat Feeding For Dogs / Kids Deserve Love Too / Russia Sends France Puppy After Police Dog Dies In Paris - NY Daily News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.