Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,853 members, 7,806,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

African Thoughts/proverbs In The Bible. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / African Thoughts/proverbs In The Bible. (1402 Views)

Shocking thoughts By One Who Completely Read The Bible / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

African Thoughts/proverbs In The Bible. by Drusilla(f): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2006
This is just a post meant to be light hearted.
I like to find these things.

I will start and be adding stuff as I go along. List the Bible thought and then the African thought/proverb that matches it.

The bible

Eve & Food led to problems with God for mankind.

Traditional African thought

A Woman pounding yams hit God in the eye, He got mad and went far up in the sky away from mankind.

I have read many versions of this same story, all across the Continent. It's interesting to me in that, it is always a woman involved with some type of food that causes the split between mankind and God.

The same as the bible.

Do you know any other African traditional stories/proverbs/etc that match the bible?
Re: African Thoughts/proverbs In The Bible. by Drusilla(f): 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2006
The Bible

Jacob's ladder

African thought

Many many fairy tales, whathaveyou, speak of God or the gods being able to travel back and forth to heaven on stairs, ropes, ladders whathaveyou.

A lot of scholars treat this like some weird belief of Africans. But I recognized it immeadiately from the bible.

(1) (Reply)

So Many Churches, So Much Confusion: How Come? / First Fruit Offering / Ten Commandments Of Working In A Hostile Environment - Bishop T. D . Jakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.