Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! (890 Views)

Fellow nairalander's Please Let's Share Our 1st,Current Or Final CGPA/GP. / Help, A Nairalander needs accommodation. / Advice A fellow Nairalander (Medical Student) In Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 8:28am On Oct 01, 2014
Here is my predicament;
I wrote the last Jamb exam and scored 186, so my sister told me to do a change of course and institution. I was frustrated and disappointed at the same time because I've never thought of going to any other school that do not offer Medicine and Surgery as a course. I later obliged her and change the course to Biochemistry and institution to FUTO, reason been that it is a federal school and accepts 180 with no further research about the school since the exercise will be closing earlier and Jamb hadn't released the cut-off mark. I thought twice though and asked myself "even if UI accepts 180 will you make medicine and surgery?". My answer was an emphatic 'NO'. I was left with no hope afterwards. I eventually registered for FUTO's post utme. The day came and I head to the designated center to write my exam. I scored 254 which constitutes 63.5%. Now I've been admitted but actually the exam was just to test myself, no intention of studying Biochemistry in FUTO, I have passion for Medicine not because of wealth or fame but because of the benevolence, empathy and clemency coupled with nobility involved. The same sister wants me to go and do my registration knowing fully that the money (#40,000 acceptance fee) is going to be a waste because I'll be writing the next jamb and will opt for Medicine and Surgery but now in UNN. I know if I choose to go with the Biochem. I'll later in future regret, which I'm trying to avoid, because I won't be fulfilled. But, I'm now stocked with "the other side of the coin", "what if this is your opportunity" said my sister.

Now to you my able Bosses, scholars and erudites, what's your take/advice on this issue?

P.S. My parent ain't rich to cope with a waste of fund.
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by naturally: 8:40am On Oct 01, 2014
Take up the futo offer and still write the jamb. Maybe the biochem will be of more benefit to you, who knows
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by PROCTOR: 8:48am On Oct 01, 2014
Why not take a look at it from this angle
are u sure of making jamb next year
and if u do,what of putme and u know d cutoff for mbbs is usually high.they might still end up giving u another course
i'd advice u go for d admission and try your luck again next year
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 01, 2014
what's your definition of fulfillment?
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 9:21am On Oct 01, 2014
naturally: Take up the futo offer and still write the job. Maybe the biochem will be of more benefit to you, who knows
Limited funding bro
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by eleojo23: 9:36am On Oct 01, 2014
I understand your predicament. But I'm not comfortable with you putting all your eggs in one basket (medicine and surgery). I would have asked you if medicine is the only course you think you can study but you've already stated that you think you'll find fulfilment there. I am not sure what made you say that but I think you should open yourself up to more possibilities of success/fulfilment outside medicine and surgery.
Years back when we were applying for Jamb, most of my mates were bent on going for medicine but only a few got it in the end. I know one of them who later opted for nursing and she did not regret it (from my conversation with her).

You really need to consider some things here.
1. Are you really sure that you won't find fulfilment (whatever you define it as) anywhere else apart from the field of medicine? Must it really be medicine and surgery? No other medical/related course would do? You have not been in the professions before so you should not conclude that you won't find fulfilment in any of them apart from medicine. It may be this mindset that will actually rob you of fulfilment if you later find yourself in any of these other professions. You need to open up your mind to possibilities. Life doesn't usually go one a straight and rigid line.
2. I am praying that you get medicine the next time you try but perhaps you did not get it, are you willing to go on trying knowing that time waits for no man?
You said you want to apply for UNN and from what I know, many persons (thousands actually) apply for the school so the competition is very stiff. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what your decision implies.
3. I advice that you take up the biochemistry and write the jamb next year. If you eventually get it, I believe money will come from somewhere for you to process your admission (it's your dream course we are talking about here!). This will have you covered on both sides so that you won't have to loose both.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 01, 2014
Do the biochemistry, pass with a first class....then register for Medicine/transfer to University of Ibadan's Medicine Faculty....at 400level.
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 11:44am On Oct 01, 2014
PROCTOR: Why not take a look at it from this angle
are u sure of making jamb next year
and if u do,what of putme and u know d cutoff for mbbs is usually high.they might still end up giving u another course
i'd advice u go for d admission and try your luck again next year
That's why I input "the other side of the coin"
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 11:47am On Oct 01, 2014
eleojo23: I understand your predicament. But I'm not comfortable with you putting all your eggs in one basket (medicine and surgery). I would have asked you if medicine is the only course you think you can study but you've already stated that you think you'll find fulfilment there. I am not sure what made you say that but I think you should open yourself up to more possibilities of success/fulfilment outside medicine and surgery.
Years back when we were applying for Jamb, most of my mates were bent on going for medicine but only a few got it in the end. I know one of them who later opted for nursing and she did not regret it (from my conversation with her).

You really need to consider some things here.
1. Are you really sure that you won't find fulfilment (whatever you define it as) anywhere else apart from the field of medicine? Must it really be medicine and surgery? No other medical/related course would do? You have not been in the professions before so you should not conclude that you won't find fulfilment in any of them apart from medicine. It may be this mindset that will actually rob you of fulfilment if you later find yourself in any of these other professions. You need to open up your mind to possibilities. Life doesn't usually go one a straight and rigid line.
2. I am praying that you get medicine the next time you try but perhaps you did not get it, are you willing to go on trying knowing that time waits for no man?
You said you want to apply for UNN and from what I know, many persons (thousands actually) apply for the school so the competition is very stiff. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what your decision implies.
3. I advice that you take up the biochemistry and write the jamb next year. If you eventually get it, I believe money will come from somewhere for you to process your admission (it's your dream course we are talking about here!). This will have you covered on both sides because you won't have to loose both.
Your take is appreciated. Thank you sir.
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 11:49am On Oct 01, 2014
bushdoc9919: Do the biochemistry, pass with a first class....then register for Medicine/transfer to University of Ibadan's Medicine Faculty....at 400level.
Please, can you shed more light on this? It seems helpful. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by RoyalRoy(m): 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2014
Arinze96: Limited funding bro

I believe in following ones dreams. But there is something I noticed about you from your write up.

You do have a passion and love for medicine but you dont seem academically strong enough for it .

Dont get me wrong, you tried with your 180 cutoff mark but that's an average score for someone who wished to study a high profile course like medicine and surgery.

The post Utme score is also average which means you are not so outstanding enough to survive as a medical student.

Your sister has tried by setting you on a good path and like bushdoc9919 has stated you can work your ass off in biochemistry and cross over if you still have the passion.

A bird at hand is worth two in the Bush. Wise up bro.

1 Like

Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
Arinze96: Please, can you shed more light on this? It seems helpful. Thanks in anticipation.

Unfortunately I do not know much...apart from the fact that UI accepts first class science graduates into medicine
Re: A Fellow Nairalander Needs Your Help! by Arinze96(m): 3:50pm On Oct 01, 2014
RoyalRoy:

I believe in following ones dreams. But there is something I noticed about you from your write up.

You do have a passion and love for medicine but you dont seem academically strong enough for it .

Dont get me wrong, you tried with your 180 cutoff mark but that's an average score for someone who wished to study a high profile course like medicine and surgery.

The post Utme score is also average which means you are not so outstanding enough to survive as a medical student.

Your sister has tried by setting you on a good path and like bushdoc9919 has stated you can work your ass off in biochemistry and cross over if you still have the passion.

A bird at hand is worth two in the Bush. Wise up bro.
Thanks bro. I appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa University,ipetumodu Aspirants Meet Here / OFFICIAL CHEVRON SCHOLARSHIP PAST QUESTIONS (MUST READ) / Everything You Need To Know About Solar Collectors/ Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.