Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,414 members, 7,800,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview (19059 Views)

Secretary Screaming Loud Under The Influence Of Bad Boss In Office / How To Spot A Bad Boss Before You Start A New Job / How To Spot A Bad Boss Before You Start A New Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 01, 2014
Horrible bosses are too common in the workplace. In fact, one out of five workers have had a bad boss.

When searching for a new job, it’s important to find one you’ll enjoy and a boss who is a pleasure to work for. While it’s not always easy to have the best of both worlds, there are a few warning signs of a bad boss you can spot during a job interview:

1. They arrive late to the job interview without notice.

When a manager shows up late to an interview without informing you, you’re probably safe to assume he doesn’t value your time. Additionally, this behavior might be a sign the manager doesn’t enjoy his job.

2. They display poor body language.

Is the manager constantly watching the clock? Did they avoid making eye contact with you during the interview? This type of negative body language is a strong sign that the manager isn’t interested in performing the job interview.

3. They ask illegal interview questions.

If a manager asks questions about your religion, credit history, or marital status, it’s a good sign the manager isn’t trained on ethical interview practices.

4. They ask simple interview questions.

A good manager asks interview questions that challenge candidates to showcase their expertise. However, if the manager asks questions they could find answers to in your resume or cover letter, it’s a sign they’re not putting effort into learning about your experience.

5. They lack a clear vision for the company.

Does the manager have a difficult time explaining the company’s mission or culture? It could be a sign they don’t know what’s going on within their own company.

6. Their office is extremely disorganized.

Do you walk into the office and there are messy piles of papers left and right? Does everything just seem cluttered? If a manager can’t gain control of his office, it might be a sign he doesn’t have control of his team.

7. They won’t tell you why the last employee left.

During the job interview, it’s OK to ask about employee turnover. However, if the manager refuses to answer your question or makes a rude remark, it might be a sign that the company isn’t a good place to work for.

8. They can’t answer your questions about the position.

If you constantly stump the manager with questions about the position or company, it’s a good sign he's not very engaged with his work.

9. They display red flags of previous bosses you’ve had.

Although it’s important to go into each job interview with an open mind, you want to be aware of familiar characteristics of a bad boss.

For example, does the manager seem scatter-brained during the job interview? This characteristic might remind you of a previous boss you had who was disorganized and failed to lead your old team.

10. They can’t tell you how you’d fit into the organization.

If you ask the manager what goals they’d have for you once hired and they can’t provide a response, it’s a good sign that the position you applied for isn’t a priority for them.

What are some ways you’ve spotted a bad boss during a job interview?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by twaintoy(f): 12:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
True. They are aggressive and arrogant.

5 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by KillerBeauty(f): 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
Y is dis in family section?

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2014
They downgrade you at the slightest chance

They ask question and are impatient to receive an answer.

They are harsh,proud and dictative and no matter how hard you try to impress them,they just won't notice.

16 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by justi4jesu(f): 3:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
KillerBeauty: Y is dis in family section?

i wonder

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
Odilafta: They downgrade you at the slightest chance

They ask question and are impatient to receive an answer.

They are harsh,proud and dictative and no matter how hard you try to impress them,they just won't notice.

Did you experience all of these? cheesy
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
Vanellope:

Did you experience all of these? cheesy
Trust me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by CharlieMaria(m): 5:41am On Oct 02, 2014
I see.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by soloxxng: 5:41am On Oct 02, 2014
Ur boss is ur boss whether u like him or not tongue
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 5:41am On Oct 02, 2014
OP, I am sorry, but I don't think you made sense. Some bosses do this to unsettle prospective job seekers or lure them into a false sense of security. If you feel the place and job is what you need, don't fall for what you see on interviews.

I like the picture that accompany your post. The shoes on those chaps and socks! I have a thing for shoes and matching socks.

4 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by bunmioguns(m): 5:42am On Oct 02, 2014
undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Sunnycliff(m): 5:43am On Oct 02, 2014
Having noticed all these, Wat next?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by sammieguze(m): 5:44am On Oct 02, 2014
Lol,

you are right but after nko?

You walk out?

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by moderatorr: 5:45am On Oct 02, 2014
They claim they know more than you do.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by fatlyn: 5:46am On Oct 02, 2014
As long as you pay my bills when I get the job,I really don't care.

There are no jobs and you expect us to be choosy? Op reason well

6 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by chinex276(m): 5:49am On Oct 02, 2014
Dats why its gud 2 be skilled (handwork), be ur own boss nd 4got doze arrogant errand boys dats parade demselves with suit nd tie dat luks lyk cutlass.
I worked as a cleaner at leadership news paper after my sec.SCHOOL, nd i know wat it takes 2 be a common cleaner, even a typist would want 2 tell u nonsence, even d GMD of d company was such an arrogant man, he talks 2 u as if he was talking d a dog, d day i knew all those big men in dat organisatn was d day dey were aving a meeting with a whyt man, o'boy come see inferiority complex at its peak, d whyt dude was jus comanding d pot bellied guys up 2 d point of telling him 2 pick d waste bin in d board room wea d meeting is 2 be held nd keep outsyd... D only thing i was hearing frm my ogas was: "YES SIR, YES sir, yes sir, yes sir"
2day i am an a boss nd nobody comes 2 my office no matter hw small it is nd spit shait... Even oga jona.

13 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by tempem: 5:50am On Oct 02, 2014
Lol... You are very funny, when one will be focusing on getting the job.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:51am On Oct 02, 2014
So true.

But, pessn wey don find work tire get choice?

The above is the exact reason the bad bosses get away with being bad.

That and the fact that companies rarely give employees any real training
in this country, keeping employees "cheap" and expendable!

*sighs*
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 5:55am On Oct 02, 2014
he
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by nwaobitex: 6:02am On Oct 02, 2014
ok, op
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by nwaobitex: 6:07am On Oct 02, 2014
gud writeup
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by mesoade(m): 6:09am On Oct 02, 2014
cry
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by PROCTOR: 6:21am On Oct 02, 2014
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by nenergy(m): 6:25am On Oct 02, 2014
Makes me remember horrible bosses. Nowadays, companies outsource recruitments, so the chances of seeing that nice interviewer again is almost 0.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Funniez: 6:30am On Oct 02, 2014
You as a jobee shuld focus on the job, not the jober.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by youngwolf(m): 6:31am On Oct 02, 2014
I once had an interview with a big four audit firm. When I entered d partners office he told me he just finished eating cake, so I was even happy tot he was in good mood. Dats was how the interview started, he started picking out the mistakes n flaws in my application form and transcript. Eg he said.."I know u met all the requirements for this job but I don't think you re good enuf", I asked why sir ..." He said u don't have enough As in your WAEC result..he was saying I had a 2.1 but my CGPA was not strong enough.
All in all he was jus trying to tell me he can't employ me for reasons best known to him alone. But I wondered during the interview why I was not asked a single question that tests my competency or knowledge at all.
Its all good now. I know better offers will come

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by habex050: 6:35am On Oct 02, 2014
So TRUE because they really need a helping hand and would definately hire you.
. Bad boss
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Missy89(f): 6:38am On Oct 02, 2014
You don't have the job yet you are already belligerent by trying to spot if your potential boss is good or bad?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by idealsico(m): 6:38am On Oct 02, 2014
Bad bosses the likes of Engr. Emeka Unachukwu.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Bsmartt(m): 6:49am On Oct 02, 2014
This is very true and educative.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:49am On Oct 02, 2014
Funny thing is that there are no hard facts in this piece. In fact, the boss you thought was bad could turn out to be your best friend and confidant

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank) May 2018 Internship Programme / The First Banks Digital Geek Recruitment. / Reps Move To Stop Contract / Casual Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.