Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,888 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? (56382 Views)

Spare Me Yoruba Obas Supremacy Battle, Says New Ooni. Showers Praises On Tinubu / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) / Directed At Nigerian Teenagers In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Naijasinglegirl: 2:45pm On Oct 01, 2014
In my course of 'blogwhoring' some entertainment and fashions blogs, the images I see from bridal shower events aroused my curiosity.
Photos of happy ladies holding pink balloons, wearing crowns, blushes, cakes etc.

It seems this western trend has become an important segment in the series of Nigerian pre-wedding events.

Last year, my colleague that was about to tie the knot kept pestering one of her 'daddies' for money to host her bridal shower party.
I thought this was the responsibility of the groom-to-be? Or maybe the groom-to-be is not into western culture? Or the bride didn't want to feel left out?
She made it look like a do or die event.

I had questions to ask but I didn't want to come across as jealous so I had to keep my mouth shut.

A few weeks ago, a friend told me to accompany her to the market to buy items she needed for her bridal shower party. When we got there, I was surprised to see her buying egusi, vegetable leaves, palm oil, goat meat etc. Why would she be buying stuffs like that when this was more of a western thing? I needed to be at the party to see things for myself but alas, I wasn't invited.

The only solution to satisfy this curiosity was to gate crash a random bridal shower since NSG friends/colleagues didn't deem her worthy enough to send an IV.

Finally, I had the opportunity last weekend. I went for a book launch in a hotel and on getting inside, some ladies dressed in skimpy clothes walked past me with balloons to the left wing of the hotel.

I didn't know when I aborted my initial mission and followed them.

''You are here for Esther's bridal shower right?'' one of them asked me.
'
'Yes'' I replied

I couldn't believe my luck.

I was led to one of the mini-suites where I met about 18 other unfamiliar faces including the bride. I had to act cool to avoid suspicion.

The bride-to-be was looking more like a widow than a bride and she wore her crown like it was a crown of thorns.
It was more like she was forced to host the party.

Other females were dressed in bum shorts with the exception of me, the uninvited guest.
I sat at the far end of the king-sized bed looking like an election observer.

The party better be worth it, I prayed silently.

Forty minutes gone and the party was yet to start. I was getting impatient! Were these people awaiting the arrival of Toke Makinwa or what?

Every time I made a decision to leave, the party inviting cake seemed to tell me 'loser, don't you want a bite of me? and then I'd find myself replying ''ok, ten more minutes."

Finally, the MC, one slim girl with the driest sense of humour arrived.

The first thing she said was ''Because your name is Esther and you are bleached does not make you established.''

All the bush girls were laughing hysterically at this 1967 joke except me. (These girls need to read my blog. Lol)

She continued cracking more dry jokes.

The only thing that made me laugh with them was the MC's face. Her hideous makeup was funnier than her jokes.

Afterwards, we were called out one after the other to give a one minute speech about the bride. I was the first and the MC refused to take no for an answer.

''Esther is a good and nice girl, she's getting married and I'm so happy for her'' I blurted out ignorantly.

At least I got her name right, thanks to the girls I followed in.
Afterwards, we were called out for truth&dare game. Me, being the first once again.

I was dared to call my boyfriend on speaker to tell him I miss kissing him.

I just stood in front of all them scrolling my contacts. I saw my daddy's number, I saw my friends boyfriends numbers, I saw my brothers number. I got to letter Z and no boyfriend number.

Then it hit me! I am Naija Single Girl without a boyfriend. I didn't have the strength to explain that to these daughters of Eve so I hurriedly dropped my N1000 fine. Literally, society charged me for being single. *sobs*

After the other girls had played the game, it was time for refreshment.

One of the girls started sharing hot coke and cabin biscuit of all things.

See, I don't know about you reading this but the amount of cabin biscuits I ate while in primary and secondary school are not less than 3781 pieces (yup! I kept count).

''Is this all you have?'' I asked the girl that handed me the biscuits with boiled coke.

''Ehen'' she rudely replied

''What of that cake over there?''

''We are not cutting it! Its for the wedding!!''
I was pissing her off already.

Huh? What were these yahoo girls telling me? So the cake was a scam too? It was just a decoration in the room??

You broke Nigerian girls need to chill!

Bridal shower is not by force!

The pain I felt was so painful. Lol

The hot coke was beginning to burn my throat. Before I could think of a way to 'steal' my N1000 back from the truth & dare container, the sad looking bride-to-be had already pocketed it.

Literally, I was the chief sponsor of the cabin biscuit and these minions won't even give me my change which amounted up to N590.

They were no male strippers like it happens abroad, just some a-cups girls on low cut dancing azonto while we cracked our cabin biscuit.

I regretted not going for the book launch.

Is this what happens in a Nigerian bridal shower or did I miss my way?

http://www.naijasinglegirl.net

204 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by lovinam: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2014
Rotfl

10 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by pickabeau1: 3:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
funny post...

wehave inculcated too many western traditions and despised our own

nowadays pry schoools even celeb halloween n vals

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by iyatrustee(f): 3:27pm On Oct 01, 2014
So funny! cheesy

Next time no do MOGBO MOYA

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Varagous(f): 3:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
u ave a v.gud sense of humor @op.
got me lafin hard, pple around are bodered......#590 change indeed.
MORAL LESSON - copy not!

12 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by okonja(m): 3:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
This op and her post are confusng angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Naijasinglegirl: 4:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
okonja: This op and her post are confusng angry angry
K
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Naijasinglegirl: 4:07pm On Oct 01, 2014
pickabeau1: funny post...

wehave inculcated too many western traditions and despised our own

nowadays pry schoools even celeb halloween n vals

I tell yah
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
I just Love this Lady's sense of Humor... Bravo grin grin

*In Don Jazzy's* i dey follow you bumper to bumper grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by pickabeau1: 6:50pm On Oct 01, 2014
Naijasinglegirl: I tell yah

Our keenness to do follow follow..eh?
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by egopersonified(f): 8:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
Lol @ boiled coke.

2 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Gboliwe: 1:14pm On Oct 02, 2014
Hahahahaha funny experience. Try and go for another one to be sure this is what happens in the showers.

3 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Ishilove: 10:58am On Jan 07, 2015
Naijasinglegirl, it seems you rushed this update. So many (modified) errors, but very funny as usual. cheesy
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Vivly(f): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2015
modified*

''Because your name is Esther and you are bleached does not make you established.''

But this joke is funny Mehn!!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by ireneony(f): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2015
I was expecting to see some pix

4 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:00am On Jan 07, 2015
Y ask me?
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by fitzmayowa: 11:00am On Jan 07, 2015
Na wa o
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by kingstylo01(m): 11:00am On Jan 07, 2015
Am not a girl, so i don't know what to coment undecided

1 Like

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by adsamsom: 11:00am On Jan 07, 2015
Guduari.........................................
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by lawrencemleopo: 11:01am On Jan 07, 2015
grin

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by jammyunn(m): 11:01am On Jan 07, 2015
Interestingly, all stories from naijasinglegirl may be fiction and with sarcasm but learn from them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by bebe2(f): 11:01am On Jan 07, 2015
To answer ur question, No dats not d usual in the west, but trust naija to put its own spin on it.

its called hen party in these parts of the world.
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 07, 2015
yes and no

you see a lot of brides and bride maids in Nigeria when in that strata suffer from anxiety and short term mental impediment as a result of pressure and this makes them not to think straight grin

but there is also one thing I noticed you did

°°°°°°^°°°^°°°°°°°°°°YOU LIED °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
like this comment if you noticed it too

I reserve further comments sad

12 Likes

Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 07, 2015
Pretty much sums it up
Re: Is This What Happens At Nigerian Bridal Showers? by onihaxy: 11:02am On Jan 07, 2015
Noted
Very funny sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aderemi Sijuwade Buys Car For Labisi Folawiyo Hours Before Their Wedding / Alafin's Wife, Ajoke Celebrates Her 27th Birthday - Photos / Ooni Of Ife Signs $800m Mou With Arab Billionaire Ahmad Bin(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.