Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents (27882 Views)

Anja Ringgren-Loven Helps More Nigerian Children (Photos) / Hahha.. This Is How You Explain Sex To Nigerian Children. PICTURES / Caught My Neighbour's Kids Having Sex...should I Tell Their Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by lebesgue(m): 3:36pm On Oct 08, 2014
all4naija:
Respect and Nigerians are two different things. When have Nigerians suddenly become respectful?! lipsrsealed Not those shady display of cultutral norms looking for means to swindle you of your money. Please, take that cultural primitiveness to somewhere else. Nobody is going to take this seriously because most Nigerians I have met are arrogant and irritating in their puffiness. They would even want to take advantage of you if you respect them. I have stopped respecting my people for long having see that they use it to take advantage of you.

My brother I tire o. An insightful poster earlier asked why our country is so corrupt given our unique upbringing, and this is a question that has bothered me for so long.
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Richie0974: 3:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
vikel2104:
I pulled this off a blog. Enjoy.

The Nigerian Experience
Nigerians are so big on respect. They love to be respected and they teach their children to respect everyone older than they are, even if they’re just two minutes older. Please whatever you do, do NOT greet a Nigerian elder with ”hi” or ”hello”, it does not end well;
You: Hi aunty
Aunty: Ehn? Hi kwa? Can’t you say ‘Good Afternoon
There may or may not be ensuing slaps. I believe respect is also the reason why children are not allowed to drink malt, No? Even in weddings! The servers will pass by you or give you coke, Fanta or Sprite if you’re not an adult.

-No one punishes like Nigerian parents. It’s a fact. The fear of your parents is also a very good place for wisdom to start. When you have committed, your parents will call you by your full name (Chukwuemeka Obinze Nwokolo) and after a dialogue that is actually a monologue of them shouting rhetorical questions like; ”Am I your mate??- at you, they will proceed to either flog you or hit you with anything from a spatula to slippers. God bless you if their weapon breaks on your body, because then you will be beaten for the loss of the weapon. grin Also, do not attempt self defense, you might destroy the weapon and like I said, that doesn’t help you.
And do not try to run, they will throw things at you and catch up with you. So, don’t do it.
Also, whatever you do, do NOT respond to any accusation your Nigerian parent makes because it will be held against you.

”Why are you just coming home?? You were with that boy again abi??”
”Daddy.. we just went to…”
”Shut up! Are you talking back at me??”

-Nigerian parents are the lords of sarcasm and bitter irony. When your father calls you ”my friend”, it’s not good. They also have the habit of calling your name a specific number of times (they know this number) designed to instill fear and then they’ll ask- ”How many times did I call you??” - when you’ve done wrong. They’ll say things like - ”Ask me!’ ‘ when they don’t know the answer to your question or ”oya beat me!” when you try to defend yourself against them.

They’ll tell your teacher to flog you, yes, they might plead with her to flog you very well if you do wrong. You might be fortunate to have parents on the other side of the spectrum who’ll come with a cane to flog your teacher after she has flogged you. smiley

-Try not to correct your Nigerian parents, especially in English related issues. If they’re in a good mood, they’ll laugh and say;
”Ha! It’s not my language oh!”
If they had a bad day?
”So, you now have no respect abi? Is that what they’re teaching you in that your school?”

-Nigerian parents are not pro dating. They are pro marriage. They expect to see a prospective husband or hear about someone coming to ”knock door” when you’re twenty five but they expect you to never date anyone.

They are not the greatest in sex education either. This is what happens in most Nigerian homes when the girl begins to menstruate;
”Ehen, Amaka. Now, if a man just touches you, you’re pregnant oh!” grin
-They were all straight A students in their time. You have no business failing any course.
”Mummy, I had 90% in Mathematics!”
”Ehn… Where’s the other 10%?”
Daddy interjects: In my time, I had 98%
minimum! grin
Well, what can we do? This is why Nigerian students do very well everywhere.

-Nigerian parents do not understand the
song choices of this generation.

Nigerian parents are very squeamish about saying ”I love you”. You have to say it first. Many Nigerians have never actually heard their parents say ”I love you” to them. They love you, they’re just shy. I know, it’s cute.

-If you were raised in a Nigerian home, especially if you’re female, you’ll know that every morning, you should sweep the house and its environs. Basically, you clean every day like a health inspector is coming to visit. The only problem is that Nigerian mothers are stricter than the average health inspector.

-NO NIGERIAN PARENT WILL PAY YOU FOR DOING CHORES.
”I’ll use the money to feed you. Who pays your school fees??”
They will even make you wash dishes and clothes when you have a dishwasher and washing machine. Do you want your husband to send you home?. No?

I love Nigeria. I love my parents and all Nigerian parents and every time I see other children who weren’t raised properly, I’m grateful to my parents for teaching me courtesy, respect, self sacrifice and patience. Appreciate your parents! They love you.

Let's hear your funny experiences growing up as a Nigerian.
First page!!

It hurts me 2 c Nigerian parents.....tend 2 b d 1s dat instill discipline and respect in their wards the most in d world ....but in d world Nigeria is 1 of d most corrupted....Should we say the Children don't listen 2 their parents or d children change wen they grow up

Source: http://ihundasmusings.com/2013/05/08/being-nigerian/
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by debrihachi(f): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2014
hydeka:
My mum could shout your name when you're miles away and what is she calling you for? To get her the tv remote that is just a few steps away from her on the center table. grin
shít I guess all parents do dat.... my dad was 2 steps away from da remote n he knew I was slping n he shouted my name several tyms I tot it was something serz n he was like bring dat remote. ..wtf
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by geniusbami(m): 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2014
I still laugh at myself when I recall one afternoon when, out of excitement, I slammed a 'show glass' door close and that caused the glasses to fall off and break. I immediately became morose and sick at the same time. I had to locate him immediately and report myself, so my punishment might reduce. I located him in his friend's shop & dread of the possible consequences didn't allow me speak audibly, they had to take the words out of my mouth. When everyone there got the clear picture, they so laughed at me. Even my dad couldn't do anything afterward. Though, out of natural instinct or practise, he stil said "U will see" ;-)

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by akposking(m): 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2014
Odilafta:
My Dad: Odi,so you scored 15/20?

Me: yes,I actually scored the highest.

My dad: If you could score 15,what made you fail the other 5?

Me: Daddy,the questions were difficult o

My dad: Shut up,I'm talking,you are talking,who is to listen?
were u referring to urself. You see this why i told u to stop eating kpomo the last time. Now come to my room let me give u head. Now? Yes i mean now.!!!
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Justeenaleo(f): 6:13pm On Oct 08, 2014
^^^^^
Ochocinco!
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by iaatmguy(m): 6:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
Too hilarious but too long
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
bigfrancis21:
Victor Enahoro
on May 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

There was one time I went to a hospital, and they were forcing one little boy to drink his medicine which of cus he didn’t like. To my ernest surprise the mother wrapped this little boy like an anaconda, used her fingers to shut his nostrils leaving the poor boy with no choice but to open his mouth AND GULP!! went in the medicine.That was some 6 yrs ago and I still haven’t recovered from that.

grin grin

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 08, 2014
ruffhandu:
I remember once when my elder brother claimed there wasn't enough salt in the soup we all ate.
Without consulting any of the stakeholders, he added extra salt in the soup. My kid sister, who quarreled with the guy-man that afternoon and they were not in talking terms as at that night, cried to my mum in protest. My mum came and confirmed the story from us, and next, she added more salt in the soup and asked the guy to keep eating. She dished us new soup to continue the supper. The dude never tried such shit without due consultation subsequently.

grin grin grin
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 08, 2014
Rapzino:
My mum raised all four of her sons alone, ever since our dad passed away in 1998. You can misbehave in the daytime, but be ready for her koboko @4a.m; she won't wake you but her cane will. There is no dish we can't prepare, hehehe it was hard for us getting girlfriends then. Now we understand and love her, she's the best!

Oh, she certainly is the best
Hope you're taking good care of her now? cool

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by TemmyTee82(f): 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2014
I don laff tire o!!!

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Rapzino: 7:37pm On Oct 08, 2014
IrishKez:

Oh, she certainly is the best
Hope you're taking good care of her now? cool
sure, we owe her everything.

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
Rapzino:
sure, we owe her everything.

Sure you guys do..!

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Rapzino: 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2014
IrishKez:

Sure you guys do..!
it was hard growing up without a girl in the house.
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Rapzino: 7:48pm On Oct 08, 2014
IrishKez:

Sure you guys do..!
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 08, 2014
Rapzino:
it was hard growing up without a girl in the house.

Sorry about that, but that would make you appreciate women(your wife) in the future cool
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Rapzino: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2014
IrishKez:

Sorry about that, but that would make you appreciate women(your wife) in the future cool
that's right, right now i'm all for getting that B.sc and a good job.
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 08, 2014
Rapzino:
that's right, right now i'm all for getting that B.sc and a good job.

Oh, I see
Best wishes, and be good.
Bye!
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by chrisfocus(m): 8:10pm On Oct 08, 2014
Nigerian mothers don't have to say a thing to you when you're misbehaving when in public places. They only just have to make body gestures to you; like twitching thier nose, blinking, or some funny kind of head movement.

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by oluFELAxy(m): 8:17pm On Oct 08, 2014
When you do something wrong, and mum will modify it so that dad can hear.

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Rapzino: 8:23pm On Oct 08, 2014
IrishKez:

Oh, I see
Best wishes, and be good.
Bye!
amen and thank you
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 08, 2014

2 Likes

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Shollay20(m): 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2014
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by sharpchap: 12:15am On Oct 09, 2014
the times when somebody else will commit an offence and everybody whether you are involved or not will get lashed, from the eldest to the youngest.
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by bigfrancis21: 4:35am On Oct 09, 2014
Another common one I just remembered is when your mom wants you to sweep her room but she doesn't want to tell you directly, she'll start by telling you, 'Obiora go and get me the broom', and when you bring it and want to hand it over to her she'll be like, 'are you expecting me to sweep the room or what? angry', no be pesin go tell you make you begin sweep the room sharparly...LOL

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by DerMeister: 3:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
Tuktuk:
PROUDLY NIGERIAN. grin grin grin GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY. THESE AND SO MANY MORE ARE THE REASONS WHY WE ARE MORALLY UPRIGHT AND STILL TRY TO UPHOLD OUR CULTURE AND TRADITIONS WHERE EVER WE FIND OURSELVES IN THIS FAST CHANGING WORLD.CAN'T TRADE BEING A NIGERIAN FOR COUNTRY. shocked cool

Morally upright? Culture and tradition of what? From your post i'm deducing that nigerian police men, bus drivers, soldiers, politicians and some religious leaders didn't have nigerian parents!! undecided

1 Like

Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by ANIEXTY(m): 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
This is really true
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by okych16(m): 11:58pm On Oct 09, 2014
the word ''my friend'' in the mouth of a Nigeria parent means the opposit of it... @ op...this is a complete CV of a naija parent. Nice one
Re: The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents by Gorgeous58(f): 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2014
Great post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Man Forced Into An Arranged Marriage At 24 Shares How He Ends The Marriage / He Wants To Marry Me, But He’s A Married Man!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.