Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? (2168 Views)

Fortran / How Can I Create Multiplication Table Using Qbasic And Fortran? PLS HELP! / FORTRAN And COBOL Languages: Are They Obsolete? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by CHIMSKY(m): 1:30am On Oct 06, 2014
These used to be the happening programming languages around here back then.Now people say they are obsolete.What do you think?
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 8:49am On Oct 06, 2014
Only ignorant people think Fortran is obsolete.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2014
Its not obsolete:
microsoft and google are hiring for(mula) Transcedental programmers.
They're many killer apps being written in FOR-TRANS , i just dont remember their names.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 10:03am On Oct 06, 2014
Like i said, only ignorant people.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2014
Fortran remains the most used and best language for Scientfic computation, I expect scientist to understand. Also the fastest high level language.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 12:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
I get it. On d tiobe index fortran is in d top ten.

On amazon recent fortran,cobol books ar sold.

You cant seem to distinguish btwn a dead niche language going nowhere and only existing to maintain legacy systems and thriving blooming languages.

Stop throwing the scientist buzzword around. Fortran thrives in its setting cuz scientist ar dull slow minded folks wen it comes to technology adoption.
The are d ones holdg on to the lid of fortran's casket. Same as the financial world has refused to pull cobol out of life support.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2014
CHIMSKY:
These used to be the happening programming languages around here back then.Now people say they are obsolete.What do you think?

I don't think this programming languages are obsolete, just that, it is been taught in all our higher institutions, and when you graduate, you tend to move to a more popular programming language.

I used to be very good in BASIC programming language. When I was still in uni. I would do any kind of assignment from any department and get paid.

I can also remember doing a complex assignment for a final year chemical engineering students with FORTRAN when I was in third year (3/5).

Would love to see any Nigeria firm using this programming language, since it is been taught in our higher institutions.

1 Like

Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 9:06pm On Oct 06, 2014
No time to argue with idiots. cool
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 9:23pm On Oct 06, 2014
Javanian:
No time to argue with idiots. cool
because you hav nothing logical to say other than throw hollow buzzwords around.
Hallmark of a vain daftie.
*Wonder how u really are in real life. Snooty and vain. *

1 Like

Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 9:36pm On Oct 06, 2014
phatjoe50:

I don't think this programming languages are obsolete, just that, it is been taught in all our higher institutions, and when you graduate, you tend to move to a more popular programming language.

I used to be very good in BASIC programming language. When I was still in uni. I would do any kind of assignment from any department and get paid.

I can also remember doing a complex assignment for a final year chemical engineering students with FORTRAN when I was in third year (3/5).

Would love to see any Nigeria firm using this programming language, since it is been taught in our higher institutions.

i wud vouch for their obsolence.
Newer or mainstream languages continually evolve to incorporate the best most salient discoveries in computer science.
Except for lisp, which has been hailed as the perfect,language,if any such label cud b used,
: Homoiconicty feature (code is data . U write code as it will b parsed) and d macro feature
(read up on it.)
, also lisp is based on a mathematical model(lambda calculus), which makes it purer.
Most languages gravitate towards lisp.

most languages from old eras hav fallen behind by failing to keep up with modern advances in cs.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 06, 2014
asalimpo:

i wud vouch for their obsolence.
Newer or mainstream languages continually evolve to incorporate the best most salient discoveries in computer science.

I totally disagree bro, have you taken your time to check out how micro controllers work, and some of the programming language that work with it.
Btw
I once saw a project where the best programming language that could interface with the Hardware properly is BASIC.

Basic is a language well known for interfacing with hardwares.

It's just a choice of preference sha.
I can't categorically say they are obsolete.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 12:09am On Oct 07, 2014
phatjoe50:

I totally disagree bro, have you taken your time to check out how micro controllers work, and some of the programming language that work with it.
Btw
I once saw a project where the best programming language that could interface with the Hardware properly is BASIC.

i'll admit i know very little about hardware. But i do know tht hardware doesnt evolve at d pace of software. Modern software has evolved towards making d programmer easily describe d problem and program it thn think about hardware.
Python,clojure,java,haskell,scala - far away from d machine.
All of them hav inbuilt memory management facilities decades ago d programmer wudve to this etc.
Many,the best ar mathematically very rigorous.

So if basic,is d best for hardware,the reason isnt far fetched: its grammer is simple and its rules are relatively few.
Makg it easier to model in hardware.
How wud you model c++ e.g in hardware! The hardware wud b terribly slow.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Djtm(m): 3:30am On Oct 07, 2014
asalimpo:
Its not obsolete:
microsoft and google are hiring for(mula) Transcedental programmers.
They're many killer apps being written in FOR-TRANS , i just dont remember their names.
lmfao.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Djtm(m): 3:36am On Oct 07, 2014
Javanian:
Fortran remains the most used and best language for Scientfic computation, I expect scientist to understand. Also the fastest high level language.
I've not seen Fortran used anywhere. I'm quite alright ignorant when it comes to fortran matters. your post is what we were told when I took Fortran in school (scientific stuffs). I really don't see what it is being used for. Even in hardware programming people use c or assembly mostly. mind educating me about what Fortran is being used for?
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by GodMode: 5:30am On Oct 07, 2014
phatjoe50:

Btw

People should stop displaying ignorance on this thread... There is something called "Hardware development language or hardware design language or hardware description language".
As for u and asalimpo those languages are old and slow.

As in, how can someone who claims to be a programmer say this:
asalimpo:

i'll admit i know very little about hardware. But i do know tht hardware doesnt evolve at d pace of software. Modern software has evolved towards making d programmer easily describe d problem and program it thn think about hardware.
Python,clojure,java,haskell,scala - far away from d machine.
All of them hav inbuilt memory management facilities decades ago d programmer wudve to this etc.
Many,the best ar mathematically very rigorous.

So if basic,is d best for hardware,the reason isnt far fetched: its grammer is simple and its rules are relatively few.
Makg it easier to model in hardware.
How wud you model c++ e.g in hardware! The hardware wud b terribly slow.

Assembly,C and C++ are the fastest programming languages that exist and can be combined with hardware description languages(hdl). Even Java is used in hardware development.

If there are any old languages I'll advise peeps to learn it'll be C,C++ or Java.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Nobody: 5:38am On Oct 07, 2014
GodMode:

Assembly,C and C++ are the fastest programming languages that exist and can be combined with hardware description languages(hdl). Even Java is used in hardware development.

If there are any old languages I'll advise peeps to learn it'll be C,C++ or Java.

From experience or ignorance undecided
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 6:06am On Oct 07, 2014
@Godmode
your missing d point. I know of hdl e.g verilog. A popular hard ware description langs.

The issue,is implementing software in hardware.
An example is Lisp machines.
The machines natively ran lisp.
But to do required heavy tradeoffs.
The language may need to b simple for better performance.
Java,c++ mayb2 complex to run efficiently in hardware.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 6:13am On Oct 07, 2014
Djtm:

I've not seen Fortran used anywhere. I'm quite alright ignorant when it comes to fortran matters. your post is what we were told when I took Fortran in school (scientific stuffs). I really don't see what it is being used for. Even in hardware programming people use c or assembly mostly. mind educating me about what Fortran is being used for?

Finally, someone that wants to learn.

I created a thread on it a few weeks back.

https://www.nairaland.com/1916479/what-favorite-language-numerical-analysis

Fortran is the fastest language for numerical computation, yes, it beats even the mighty C at this. Few days back, i tried writing a program to compute Gauss Jacobi iterative sequence in both fortran and C. The fortran result was simply stellar when compared to that of C. Also, i achieved it in far fewer lines of code. No language has better libraries for numerical computation than fortran, it is only rivaled by Python's SciPy and an of course a lot of other libraries in C. Yeah, it is probably not used in 'Production Code' but to say it is 'obsolete' is wrong. It it still very much used.

On a side note, Fortran is used in computationally intensive areas such as numerical weather prediction, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational physics and computational chemistry. It is one of the most popular languages in the area of high-performance computing and is the language used for programs that benchmark and rank the world's fastest supercomputers. (Wikipedia)

3 Likes

Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by GodMode: 6:20am On Oct 07, 2014
asalimpo:
@Godmode
your missing d point. I know of hdl e.g verilog. A popular hard ware description langs.

The issue,is implementing software in hardware.
An example is Lisp machines.
The machines natively ran lisp.
But to do required heavy tradeoffs.
The language may need to b simple for better performance.
Java,c++ mayb2 complex to run efficiently in hardware.

They are not too complex... that's what most companies use.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
Javanian:

Finally, someone that wants to learn.

I created a thread on it a few weeks back.

https://www.nairaland.com/1916479/what-favorite-language-numerical-analysis

Fortran is the fastest language for numerical computation, yes, it beats even the mighty C at this. Few days back, i tried writing a program to compute Gauss Jacobi iterative sequence in both fortran and C. The fortran result was simply stellar when compared to that of C. Also, i achieved it in far fewer lines of code. No language has better libraries for numerical computation than fortran, it is only rivaled by Python's SciPy and an of course a lot of other libraries in C. Yeah, it is probably not used in 'Production Code' but to say it is 'obsolete' is wrong. It it still very much used.

On a side note, Fortran is used in computationally intensive areas such as numerical weather prediction, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational physics and computational chemistry. It is one of the most popular languages in the area of high-performance computing and is the language used for programs that benchmark and rank the world's fastest supercomputers. (Wikipedia)

the way som ppl think.
Does d average programmer write numerical analysis software?
Handle gigabyte size matrices in memory?
Infact all d math d average programmer uses is primary/secondary school arithmetcs.
Python has a robust math lib because scientist like python not because python is better than other languages.
Infact python is pretty slow and is akin to a scriptng language.

Fortran had been in use by d scientific community for a long time. They are used to it. Staid and slow to change technology. Even fortran was built for scientifc computation.
It has been optimized for such. Fortan has real and complex number objects baked into it.
C on d other hand is a GENERAL PURPOSE language. Just like c++,java,etc.
General purpose and specifc purpose are different . That doesnt mean fortran , cobol compare to modern languages in terms of advancement. Suitability for handling large scale software projects etc.
A sniper rifle can kill a fly half a mile away. Its purpose built for precision targets.
A general rifle will fail in that speed niche but may do more at shorter range.
While fortran may cheat for speed,its useless for modern day software development. Look at java etc,it has lots of scaffoldg,lots of layers. Not good for quick and dirty throw away programs but it comes into its own for large software. And has decent performance.
In these niche,real-world general purpose software development ,
fortran and co would b too primitive.
Can fortran , cobol excel at creating networked programs like those tht have networkg inbuilt into them?
Does fortran use time tested elegant design patterns?
Does fortran abstract database layers for the application programmer?
Does fortran hav world class ides?
Does fortran robust enterprise application frameworks ?
E.g can u approach ur boss and say foget using java ee,jboss, spring, we hav a fortan container for that?
Is fortran siuted for use by large teams of decentralized programmers?
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Javanian: 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
^^^ LMAO How is what you have just said different from what i have been saying?
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by Creatrixity(m): 8:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Contrary to popular opinion, while Fortran may not possess all the trappings,abstractions and convenience methods offered by most "modern" programming languages, it is an efficient language as regards to scientific and engineering applications.

Fortran has been used for every thing from plotting Burk lineweaver graphs to various transformations like C.N Yang super symmetric group ofi transformations.

Fortran is by no means outdated.

2 Likes

Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by asalimpo(m): 2:13am On Oct 08, 2014
Y isnt it used for video games, cad systems, ai etc arent these type of software not also highly mathematical?
Y isnt c,c++,c# used by d scientifc community over it? Dont tell me these languages are snail slow compared to fortran.
Python comes to mind.
Fortran isnt better than c,c++ .
It just camr bf them and the scientifc community embraced it.

For real world general software developmnt, fortran isnt even an option or even considered.
Re: Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? by GodMode: 7:16am On Oct 08, 2014
asalimpo:
Y isnt it used for video games, cad systems, ai etc arent these type of software not also highly mathematical?
Y isnt c,c++,c# used by d scientifc community over it? Dont tell me these languages are snail slow compared to fortran.
Python comes to mind.
Fortran isnt better than c,c++ .
It just camr bf them and the scientifc community embraced it.

For real world general software developmnt, fortran isnt even an option or even considered.

Their forming "scientists" on Nl programming section. Imagine "scientists" in a country where science is not really relevant.

What have this "nigerian scientists" built with the languages they are hyping on NL

(1) (Reply)

To The Programmers / BB OSv10 Ships With Qt C++ Libraries / What Mysql Select Type Can I Use For Picture/audio/video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.