Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola (1725 Views)

Photos From Set Of Kunle Afolayan's Most Anticipated Film ‘The CEO’ / Kunle Afolayan's OCTOBER 1: Critic's Review / Photos From The Premiere Of Kunle Afolayan’s “October 1″ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola by Topsido(m): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2014
Review of Kunle Afolayan's October 1
By Tope Apoola (LitCaf)

October 1's plot is deep, but the depth is not there for everyone to see. Watching the movie at the Cinema, I had muttered this severally, appalled that Kunle Afolayan had improved so much after the almost disappointing outing in "The Figuring", his former attempt at doing Nigeria proud in the film making industry. Little wonder Kunle was not the writer of this latest piece, but we must honor him for being such a good, passionate director. This should serve as a lesson to film makers. They are better off sticking with what they know how to do best. I am a gentleman but I'd easily remove my shirt to combat anyone who tries to cast any doubts on Kunle's gift as a film maker.

In October 1, a movie set in Ilara Mokin town of Ondo State, a Police Inspector, Waziri, was commissioned to unravel the mystery deaths that was plaguing the town of Akote. His assignment was to be concluded before the October 1 1960 Nigeria's independence day. Kunle has been criticized by certain reviewers for making it all too easy for viewers to discern who the culprit was, but such opinions does nothing than show how one-dimensional their judgment of what makes a good movie is. October 1 is not, and does not pretend to be a detective movie, the thriller is not in who did what but why he did it. From the movie, the young prince suffered no psychotic symptoms, the film took time to depict this; he was proud, but sane enough to recognize and respect ordinary people..at least outwardly. His interaction with police inspector Afonja (Aderupoko) was real,and this is commendable, for only a few will not fall for the temptation of letting him act cocky towards the half literate Police officer in their movie. One more subtle observation that endears me to this movie is that the funny parts were never forced. The idea was "if the viewers catch the humor, fine, if not, fine". That ought to be the spirit of comedy. Kunle was able to make his viewers laugh and he achieved this honorably. Still talking about the small things Kunle did to trip me, it is the fact that he never seized the moment to dwell on the persons of Awolowo or any historical figure of the time. As cheap as this may seem, many Nollywood movies would have fallen for it. We all know what external involvement and investment does to creativity. One would expect that Kunle would exhibit some subservience in his 2 million dollar- Toyota sponsored, Mike Ade Ojo sponsored, Lagos State supported movie. Funke Akindele was not so brave in her sequel to the bluckbuster, Jenifa. She easily fell faced down to the god of Glo and other benefactors and lost me barely halfway into her then highly anticipated movie. Not for Kunle, he must be in life, a person of cynical temperament..and this speaks volume in his choices. Unlike many Nollywood movies, there was no overacting, or overdoing. The movie progressed smoothly, almost naturally from start to finish without boring the viewers.

To the philosophical minded viewers, October 1 presents immense entertainment revolving around the old question of what the face of evil looks like. Even the Hollywood that we agree Nollywood must aspire to hardly do justice to this. An experience running 6-years is enough to cause resentment in anyone, said a cast. This is indeed academic! For anyone who wants to feel pride for being Nigerian, or who wants to have a brilliant illustration of how 1960 Western Nigeria looked like- October 1 is a must watch.

There are many deep sides to October 1, many of which are hushed. This is one movie that bravely courts controversy. I mean potentially-bitter ones! Kunle cares less about political correctness but his patrotism towards Nigeria is palpable, almost to a 'criticisable' extent. The film makes no apologies in its opinion about homosexuality, peadophilia. This is a proudly African movie- in many ways and many times better than Biyi Bandele's Half Of a Yellow Sun. It is another proof that great things can be done at home! As for the controversies, I will not be the one to disclose the teacher's mother is late, but like I said, the depth of this movie may never be apparent to some, even if it is being put to their face. October 1 is the best movie from Nigeria yet.
Re: Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola by sholay2011(m): 1:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
Thanks for the review. 'Would see it later this week.
Re: Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola by homesteady(m): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2014
brb
Re: Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola by TheFury: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2014
This is by far one of the worst movie reviews I have ever seen. No coordination whatsoever. Ahn ahn!!!! You can say whatever you like o, but this here is a very shoddy piece.

You mustn't do a review just to take cheap shots @ what you feel other people's opinion about the movie are. And I know you know what I mean. The movie is quite good but your reasons for doing this review are more subjective than objective. Anyone sez otherwise is deceiving you.
Re: Review Of Kunle Afolayan's "October 1" Movie By Tope Apoola by Topsido(m): 11:34am On Apr 10, 2017
TheFury:
This is by far one of the worst movie reviews I have ever seen. No coordination whatsoever. Ahn ahn!!!! You can say whatever you like o, but this here is a very shoddy piece.

You mustn't do a review just to take cheap shots @ what you feel other people's opinion about the movie are. And I know you know what I mean. The movie is quite good but your reasons for doing this review are more subjective than objective. Anyone sez otherwise is deceiving you.

I share same view as you.

(1) (Reply)

Justice League:throne Of Atlantis(watch Trailer) / Creed II 2018 Full English Movie Download Hd CMA BLOG (cmabrains.com) / Richard And Titiana: What Next After BBA 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.