Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Watching Movies With Laptops - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Watching Movies With Laptops (4473 Views)

Pls Whats The Best Pc App For Watching Live Football,movies And News? / Laptop For Watching Movies,gaming &browsing / Anyone With Laptops For Sale? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watching Movies With Laptops by Faraidi(m): 6:12pm On Oct 06, 2014
Hello, folks I want to know if watching movies on laptops always can affect the performance.
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by slap1(m): 6:25pm On Oct 06, 2014
No it won't. Constantly playing HD games can affect it, depending on the strength of your system.
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by koseepaaro(m): 6:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
OP, affect its performance in what are? My take on you watching movie on your laptop is that you can use your laptop to watch movie for a whole week without shutting down the laptop. But the only two things that I would tell you on this is that: (1) make sure that you place your laptop on a flat object (preferably, on a flat table) any time you put it ON. And (2) do not play the movie direct from your laptop's DVD Drive, as playing it direct from the DVD Drive of your system can easily damage the DVD Drive. Instead, first copy the Movie from the CD or DVD plate onto any other storage media like flash memory or your laptop hard drive and be playing the movie direct from there. Good luck to you my brother.
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by Olarewajub: 7:47am On Oct 07, 2014
Is it advisable for one to be charging his laptop and browsing simultaneouly? If No, how do we go about this?
koseepaaro:
OP, affect its performance in what are? My take on you watching movie on your laptop is that you can use your laptop to watch movie for a whole week without shutting down the laptop. But the only two things that I would tell you on this is that: (1) make sure that you place your laptop on a flat object (preferably, on a flat table) any time you put it ON. And (2) do not play the movie direct from your laptop's DVD Drive, as playing it direct from the DVD Drive of your system can easily damage the DVD Drive. Instead, first copy the Movie from the CD or DVD plate onto any other storage media like flash memory or your laptop hard drive and be playing the movie direct from there. Good luck to you my brother.

1 Like

Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by koseepaaro(m): 9:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
@Olarewaju, it is advisable. But there is a step you have to be taking to ensure that the battery of your laptop last longer as expected - each time the battery is 100% fully charged, disconnect the charger (power adapter) from the laptop and continue to use the laptop while it is still running on only the battery until the battery runs down to 20% or 25% battery charge remaining. At this point, connect the charger and let the battery charge up to 100% before removing the charger again. Continue using your laptop this way and see how many years the battery would serve you. Note: leaving your laptop connected to AC power all the time (even, when the battery is already 100% fully charged) can shorten the life span of the battery. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by Hotdiamond(m): 10:18pm On Oct 08, 2014
koseepaaro:
@Olarewaju, it is advisable. But there is a step you have to be taking to ensure that the battery of your laptop last longer as expected - each time the battery is 100% fully charged, disconnect the charger (power adapter) from the laptop and continue to use the laptop while it is still running on only the battery until the battery runs down to 20% or 25% battery charge remaining. At this point, connect the charger and let the battery charge up to 100% before removing the charger again. Continue using your laptop this way and see how many years the battery would serve you. Note: leaving your laptop connected to AC power all the time (even, when the battery is already 100% fully charged) can shorten the life span of the battery. Good luck to you.

i read somewhere that Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful, because as soon as the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop.

However this is not advisable when your battery has excessive heating issues caused by laptop hardware.
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by koseepaaro(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2014
Hotdiamond:

i read somewhere that Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful, because as soon as the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop.

However this is not advisable when your battery has excessive heating issues caused by laptop hardware.
So, why are you contradicting yourself? Are you not saying the same thing that I said? My brother, don`t mislead people with your post. The point is that it is not advisable for one to leave a laptop that is already 100% fully charged plugged to AC power source 24/7 as long as that laptop still remains power ON, just to avoid shortening the life span of the battery. Shikena!
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by tosyne2much(m): 1:19am On Oct 13, 2014
That is the distinction between a laptop and a mobile phone.. Technology is changing everyday.. How does it even sound to the ear, removing and plunging your laptop when it gets to 100% and drain it to about 25% b4 charging it again?
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by negga4al(m): 9:14am On Oct 14, 2014
tosyne2much:
That is the distinction between a laptop and a mobile phone.. Technology is changing everyday.. How does it even sound to the ear, removing and plunging your laptop when it gets to 100% and drain it to about 25% b4 charging it again?

Listen to @koseepaaro! He is absolutely correct. The technology behind batteries for phones and laptops are absolutely different. Make your research on it.

If you want a last longing enjoyment on your battery, just complete the cycle of charge your laptop till it reads 100% fully charged, unplugg your charger from power, run your laptop on battery till you reach at least 70-75%, then charge again. Repeat the cycle.

As for playing movies, well the only problem here can be battery drain. Your battery drains faster depending on the quality of the movie you're watching (in terms of pixels/resolution - 240p, 320p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc; the lesser the better)

Do not watch movies DVDs using ur DVD ROM drive, as it can drain ur battery faster and also weaken the lens, thereby damaging the drive.

I hope this helps. Otherwise consult with Mr. Google.

NB: based on personal experience, my last (A Dell Vostro 1500) laptop battery problem after one year of use. It was purchase brand new. Why? Always using it on power regardless if it is 100% full or not.

Now that I got to know the truth behind a long lasting laptop battery, I presently use a Dell Inspiron 5520, 3years running, battery still kicks at 4 to 3hrs depending on usage.
cheesy

Cheers!
Re: Watching Movies With Laptops by chux76(m): 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
As regards the battery life,that is so correct. Leaving the battery still plugged in after it is fully charged reduces the life span of the batter. My Lenovo Thinkpad T510 which I bought brand new over 3yrs ago had a battery life of 7hrs 20mins when I first bought it,fast forward 3yrs after,it barely last up to 30mins now even with battery stretch enabled.
Cause: Since I bought the laptop,the only time I unplug is it when I move it around or take it out with me,since my work is mostly online,it is constantly plugged in,I also use an inverter so you can imagine that most times,there is always power going into the laptop,to make matters worse,I run the laptop,sometimes 3days at a stretch(not even shutting it down or putting it in hibernation when going to bed). Now the resultant cause,a near dead battery,and getting an original replacement now would set me back over 18k if I am to purchase directly from the manufacturers,so I'd say,unplug the laptop from the mains once the battery is fully charged and only reconnect when the level has dropped enough.

My 2kobo though

(1) (Reply)

Konica Minolta Bizhub C451, 450, 350, 253, 250 For Sale .......call 08134815845 / Change The Screen Of Your Ipad, Epad And Iphones And Their Batteries / SUPER MINT!!! LENOVO LEGION Y540 17" RTX 2060, 32GB RAM 420k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.