Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum (2480 Views)

Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Rip Videos / A Forum For All Nigerian Students / How Do I Create A Forum On My Website? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 10, 2008
please, i need someone to tell me how i can create a forum in Dreamweaver8 using ASP.

Kindly tell me what to do.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by pie1ect(m): 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2008
Sorry bro, I don't program with ASP.
Even if I did, I'd find it hard to start answering the question you've posed.

Really, why is it so important to create a forum [/b]in [b]Dreamweaver [/b]with [b]ASP shocked?

If you need a head-start, head over to Sourceforge and I'm 100% certain you'll get a forum application written in ASP. I know about Forum Plus!. Whether it's still a SourceForge project, I don't know. But I'm sure if you typed in something like "ASP Forum", you'll get nothing less than 20 relevant results. Instead of trying to set the record for most unwarranted project start-up, you could go through actual source codes and learn faster.

Really, I don't know why people don't visit sourceforge more.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 10, 2008
Why create it yourself? You can download many free forums that install in minutes with all the work already done for you. You can easily customize them also to look the way you want. Easier, cheaper and faster.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by MrCrackles(m): 3:31pm On Nov 10, 2008
Ask Seun
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by kelechiodo(m): 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2008
Dear why not download the software using fantastico in your cpanel. On the other hand, can you tell how i can intergrate dreamweaver with asp. What softwares do I need to install for ASP to run with my Dreamweaver. For now, I make use of Dreamweaver with PHP but I need to run it with ASP
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Mustay(m): 5:00pm On Nov 10, 2008
rickky421:

Why create it yourself? You can download many free forums that install in minutes with all the work already done for you. You can easily customize them also to look the way you want. Easier, cheaper and faster.

EXACTLY.

Download the shizzle and save your self off the stress.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 10, 2008
i actually downloaded snitz 2000 forums written in ASP but the issue is how to create one using dreamweaver and my downloaded pages.

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by pie1ect(m): 9:53pm On Nov 10, 2008
@ deji

You need to be clearer because I think a lot of us on here are confused as to what you really want to do. You already have Snitz Forum software which you are supposed to install on your webserver, but you still want to create [/b]one using [b]dreamweaver. How does Dreamweaver figure in the picture OR are you trying to [b]develop [/b]a brand-new forum software from scratch which looks like Snitz forum?

I'm pretty sure Snitz forum is not that difficult to install on your server, if you already have one.

@ Kelechi

You don't normally need additional software to create ASP pages in dreamweaver, at least not with Dreamweaver 8. I'd say upgrade your dreamweaver to a more current version. Make sure you have a server which can handle ASP files though.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 10, 2008
@pie1ect

god bless u bro.

i downloaded the snitz ASP pages but i dont know how to upload to a webserver.

i already have my IIS installed and configured but the next thing undecided angry I dont know!

I'm a newbie though I wanna learn embarassed

Need more help
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by pie1ect(m): 1:43am On Nov 11, 2008
@Deji

I'm not too sure about IIS, but this is the standard way things of this nature are done

[list]
[li]Open up your Windows explorer, then navigate to the folder you initially configured as your DocumentRoot (IIS).[/li]
[li]Copy your Snitz forum folder (I presume you had to unzip it) into your DoumentRoot folder.[/li]
[li]Open your web browser and type in the URL of your Snitz folder. [/li]

On your local machine, that would probably be http://localhost/Snitz and on a remote server, that would be something like http://www.yourdomainname.com/Snitz.

Your Snitz Installation page should show up and from there on, just follow the instructions and you should be safe.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
[/list]
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 16, 2008
@ pie1ect,

THanks brother for the snippet, I appreciate!

But I still have some problems. I unzipped the snitz forum and decided to configure it on my localhost. But all I get is a message,

Database Setup,

Your strDBType is not set, please edit your config.asp
to reflect your database type.

I read the readme file and still I am stuck. Is a domain name needed before I get a forum up and running? Cant I test the workability of the forum on my localhost?

All these questions are running through my mind and I need help urgently.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by pie1ect(m): 12:53pm On Nov 17, 2008
Deji

Your strDBType is not set, please edit your config.asp
to reflect your database type.

This is simply ASP speak for "You have not set your database type in your config.asp file.
Look for the file in your Snitz installation folder and modify the following parameter:

strDBType = ""
If you intend to use a MySQL server then within the quotation signs, enter "mysql" same goes for SQL server, access, MySqli or anything else that's out there.

Be sure that you have a database configured to work with your webserver.
Also, make sure to comment out unsed lines (Just a tip).

You can usually run most asp, asp.net, php applications on your local machine, with the right configuration of course. You don't need a domain name for testing out your applications.

Let me know how you progress.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 17, 2008
@pie1ect

Thanks for the support. i was able to go through the readme file and got info on installation. the problem lies with the connection strings.

I cannot find the path of the database i.e snitz forum2000.mdb i used all options provided but none worked. Please help me out.

I'l like to know if I must have a domain name before the forum can run or can i run it without been connected online?
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by pie1ect(m): 2:37pm On Nov 18, 2008
You don't need a domain name to run you Snitz forum except you are ready to go Live.

Your localhost server will do just fine. In that block where you have the connection strings, [b]uncomment [/b]the line which points to the location of your .mdb file.

Currently, it should be in your installation folder.

That should be all.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by sesantoke(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2009
Go to your cpanel and look for fantastico icon and then look at the info on the left or qwherever depending on the host you are using. look out for PHBB. click on it and follow instructions carefully.

I will help you FREE if you want it.

Sesan
Re: Can Someone Tell Me How I Can Create A Forum by C2H5OH(f): 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2009
cake

(1) (Reply)

What Does Nairaland Forum(2)mean? / Submit Your Website For Candid Review / Phishing Tools (professional Phishing Page)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.