Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop (2005 Views)

Oya Which One Fine Pass Between Miss OAU And Miss Unilag / Miss Unilag Rewarded With A New Car While The Most Brilliant Gets A Laptop / Why Do Most Brilliant Guys/Ladies Use Glasses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Justice629(m): 10:16pm On Oct 06, 2014
Damilare Babajide, a 4th year law student at the University of Lagos (Unilag), over the weekend took home a brand new car and other unnamed perks after emerging winner of the 2014 Miss Unilag pageant. Ms. Babajide’s windfall immediately ignited a debate among students and lecturers, with some criticizing the material rewards bestowed on a so-called beauty queen when the same university hands a mere computer and some cash to winners of its demanding debate contest.

One lecturer, who asked for anonymity, said he was troubled that the car and other gifts to the university’s beauty queen far outstripped the prizes given on September 10 to the winner of the university debate competition. Zainab Olaitan, a 2nd year political science major at Unilag who won the university’s rigorous academic debate competition, was awarded N100,000 and a laptop computer.

The lecturer also noted that last year’s winner of the debate competition, Ms. Mary Adegunloye, received a laptop and N50,000. “I understand that the university management was planning to give the same paltry sum of N50,000 cash prize this year to the winner of the debate, but decided to double the cash prize because of criticisms from some lecturers and student leaders,” said the source.

Reacting to the disparity in gifts for the beauty contest and the debate competition, a few students told correspondents that the relatively small reward for intellectual achievement was likely to affect the academic morale of students on campus.

http://www.chichinwaafrica.com/2014/10/beauty-vs-brains-miss-unilag-gets.html?m=1

Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by 1stola: 10:31pm On Oct 06, 2014
lol!
sex rules the world.
case closed.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Justice629(m): 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
1stola:
lol!
sex rules the world.
case closed.

We live in a society where promiscuity is highly encouraged while moral intelligence is negelected.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by heavenmade(m): 10:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
Moral decadence
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
naija men,valuing sweet kpekus over intelligence since 404 BC.cheesy

1 Like

Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Aidy97(f): 11:34pm On Oct 06, 2014
Its no news
If a spelling bee winner can get 25k or a maths competition winner can get 100k only and a project fame winner gets 10million
That's nigeria for u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by mesoade(m): 11:45pm On Oct 06, 2014
Beauty without intelligence is a display of cosmestic foolishness.

Mind you,i'm not equating brilliancy with intelligence.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by mesoade(m): 11:47pm On Oct 06, 2014
Aidy97:
Its no news
If a spelling bee winner can get 25k or a maths competition winner can get 100k only and a project fame winner gets 10million
That's nigeria for u
No,it's not in nigeria alone,it's all over the world.

Sometimes i just sitdown and wonder why a doctor that works 7days a week saving lives should earn less than a footballer that plays atmost twice in a week.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by DermalCarotene(f): 1:05am On Oct 07, 2014
This didn't start today..
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by LegendarySage(m): 1:07am On Oct 07, 2014
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by ChuckVentures(m): 1:57am On Oct 07, 2014
I'm not surprised at all. Everybody wants to live a celebrity lifestyle.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Nobody: 2:39am On Oct 07, 2014
A hugely dangerous trend for the nation is it is left unchecked... Intelligentsia is the very pulse that drives a nation. While only a handful would make it to the very top of non academic endeavors such as entertainment and sports, almost everyone who has an education has received a great boost towards self sufficiency.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by ayanbaba2(m): 5:11am On Oct 07, 2014
Comment reserved...
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Acidosis(m): 7:27am On Oct 07, 2014
The ROI (Return on Investment) of a beautiful girl to a company is higher than that of a 'brilliant' one. Who says beautiful girls aren't intelligent?

I believe the contest is company sponsored; hence, the company has little to gain from a first class student. As a matter of fact, most of these companies (telecoms, etc) have lots of pending first class and sharp 2-1 resumes.

I really do not blame them; is Ekiti not the Nigerian state with the highest number of PhD holders? What's the impact of PhD degrees on the state?

Companies pay advitisers, models, etc more than hard working staff. It's all about RETURN ON INVESTMENT, not the number of linear equations you can solve on paper.

...and if I'm asked, I will say a 200 Unilag student is intelligent. How do I know?
She passed her O'level papers, utme, and 100 courses.

I have a 7year old nephew who received 1m for simply participating in a 35 seconds TV advert for a fruit juice company. Meanwhile, the same company barely pay entry level degree holders N70k monthly. Its all about the ROI. This same advert, I believe must have yielded more returns for the company, (than what the dude rolling in an office chair can give).

There is absolutely nothing NEW a first class student can give a company whose workforce already consists of 70% first class and 2-1 holders; all they need might just be a funny advert created by "I go die" & voilla!! More millions will roll in!

Someone is also condemning ProjectFame. Let me ask; do you guys know the gain MTN made from Geoffery, Ruky, Emeka, etc? The truth is 5m, 2m, 1m & cars are mere peanuts when compared with the profit the company made from the contest.

Without these "s. illy" contests, most companies wouldn't be able to pay their workers.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by fowowe411: 8:27am On Oct 07, 2014
Sincerely I'm always amused by the way some people open their mouth and say "this shit happens only in Nigeria....".For christ sake academic and the entertainment industry are two different sectors,the that won the most brillant was awarded by the school authority and who told you the beauty queen was presented a car by the school?Many people just come here to criticise without necessarily studying a situation very well.For example in my school,this "Miss sumtin" is always organized every year and you have to pay #500 before entry because some stars will also be their but how many of you critising would have paid #500 to watch the debate? I'm sure very few if not none.So you see this is strictly business and not about rating beauty over brain.Moreover the world celebrities are they the most brillants?
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by fowowe411: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2014
Justice629:

We live in a society where promiscuity is highly encouraged while moral intelligence is negelected.
Promiscuity? Because she won a beauty peagant? Ride on bro!
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 07, 2014
When we hear the word 'pageant' what comes to the mind is beauty.
But, Is pageant solely about beauty?
If you have been an audience of a pageant contest, you sure would have glimpsed it is not just solely hinged on the beauty factor but on creativity laced with confidence, brilliance and intelligence as well. I happened to be a member of a pageant audience on one occassion. I was transfixedly wowed by a pretty lady who gave a finely stellar impromptu speech about cultism. A very perspicacious cum savvy lass. How did i know it was impromptu? The judge had asked her to pick a number from a series of numbers which had hidden questions tagged to them. It stands to reason that a beautiful nit-wit wouldn't and couldn't have given such a logically fine speech. When it came to the talent segment, this same contestant did a spoken-word poetry. So bonzerly was it done that it earned her a standing oviation from both the audience and Judges. All this happened in a school pageant contest. Watch the miss world beauty pageant and you will sussed out it is far more than a beauty contest. A debate competition is no more tasking than a pageant contest in the least. The only thing i find a trifle wrong was the paltry sum the winner of the debate was paid vis-a-vis that of the miss pageant winner given that it was in an academic environment. But again, it depends on the financial wherewithal of the organisers and sponsors of both contest.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Karleb(m): 9:43am On Oct 07, 2014
mesoade:
No,it's not in nigeria alone,it's all over the world.

Sometimes i just sitdown and wonder why a doctor that works 7days a week saving lives should earn less than a footballer that plays atmost twice in a week.

Abeg no just mention that football issue, infact e no even enter.

They joy or sadness and money a footballer gives cannot be compare to the one a doc will give in his whole carrier.

btw, I'm not saying docs are irrelevant and should be under paid o, ehn en.
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by profemoral(m): 10:20am On Oct 07, 2014
Are you a student in the science field, about
rounding up your project and in need of a
professional touch to help in snapping your tissue
slides using LCD digital microscope?
Due to the challenges and limited availability of
high quality digital microscope,
we fedrim photomicrograph provides you the
under listed services.
ONE MAGNIFICATION (your preferred choice)
N100 per slide (soft copy of photomicrograph
only)
N150 per slide (soft copy of photomicrograph
with interpretation)
TWO MAGNIFICATIONS (your preferred choice)
N120 per slide (soft copy of photomicrograph
only)
N170 per slide (soft copy of photomicrograph
with interpretation)
THREE MAGNIFICATIONS (your preferred choice)
N150 per slide (soft copy of photomicrograph
only)
N200 per slide (soft copy of phptomicrograph
with interpretation)
PLEASE NOTE - PRICES ARE NON INCLUSIVE OF
PRINTING (HARD COPY)
We can discuss/negotiate printing with you to suit
your demand.
Thank you
Fedrim Photomicrograph
call/whatsapp 08054790500
bbm 7e169f3f
Re: Miss UNILAG Get's A New Car While The Most Brilliant Girl Gets A Laptop by Justice629(m): 8:03am On Oct 08, 2014
fowowe411:
Promiscuity? Because she won a beauty peagant? Ride on bro!
Was not referring to beauty peagant and besides do you know how winners are picked?

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Technical Schools In Ibadan / Federal University Dutse [FUD] 2016/2017 Post-utme Admission Screening Exercise / Learn German, Chinese & French In Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.