Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu (3962 Views)

Nizamiye Hospital Opens In Abuja(pictures) / Shoprite Opens In Ibadan / Intercontinental Hotel Opens In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:35pm On Oct 07, 2014
[b]A Somali bank installed the country's first Automated Teller Machine in the capital city of Mogadishu, a move seen by many as a "big step forward" for the country, the BBC reported.

"I have been staying in Mogadishu for longer than I originally planned, so I ran out of cash," Omar Hassan told the news agency. "I couldn't believe my luck when I heard about the new cash machine."

The report said the machine was installed by Salaam Somali bank and, although the country's main currency is the shilling, the machine will dispense the popular U.S. dollar.

ATMs have long been ubiquitous in major cities around the world. Time magazine reported that the first teller machine was pitched by inventor John Shepherd-Barron to Barclays bank and the first machine was installed in 1967. The report points out that, like most inventions, Barron's claim is a matter of dispute.

But Barron, who died in 2010 at the age of 84, told The Telegraph that he came up with the idea lying in his bath tub after returning home from a trip to the bank because it was closed.

"I told him I had an idea that if you put your standard Barclays check through a slot in the side of the bank, it will deliver standard amounts of money around the clock. He said, 'Come and see me on Monday morning.'"

[/b]
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by mployer(m): 3:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
Are you serious?
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
mployer:

Are you serious?

Yes sir
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Omimah: 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
OP, it is Automated Teller Machine or ATM. You don't need to write machine after you might have written ATM.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
The war over there really affected them..... we thank God for this development
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
Omimah:
OP, it is Automated Teller Machine or ATM. You don't need tood write machine after you might have written ATM.

Correct yourself before correcting others

Teacher!!! How does your comment stop Somalia from having their first ATM Machine

undecided undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by godofwar666(m): 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
Somalia in 21st century first atm
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by DaGC(m): 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
Honestly didn't know there were countries still without ATMs before now.
Good development for them. Hope they improve more.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by edoyad(m): 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
chelseabmw:

Teacher!!! How does your comment stop Somalia from having their first ATM Machine

undecided undecided

Lol

Those effing Somalis
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by godofwar666(m): 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
Omimah:
OP, it is Automated Teller Machine or ATM. You don't need to write machine after you might have written ATM.
na see pot wey dey call kettle black no quote me
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Omimah: 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
chelseabmw:

undecided undecided
Thank you for pointing out my mistake, I've corrected it.
@Post. It is surprising, considering the fact that almost every country in Africa has been using ATM.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:53pm On Oct 07, 2014
edoyad:

Lol

Those effing Somalis

Lol your people grin
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Omimah: 3:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
godofwar666:
na see pot wey dey call kettle black no quote me
I corrected my mistake before you quoted me. I'm sorry. The OP has left his.

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by chelseabmw(m): 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
Omimah:

Thank you for pointing out my mistake, I've corrected it.
@Post. It is surprising, considering the fact that almost every country in Africa has been using ATM.

The war over there was a big disaster
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
they are "skinnies" according to "Black Hawk Down".
Those Boko Harams want us to be like that too, but God pass dem!
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Omimah: 4:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
chelseabmw:

The war over there was a big disaster
Yes. A lesson to Nigeria that the current insurgency needs to be curtailed. Already Nigeria has been placed side by side Somalia as a failed state.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by englishmart(m): 4:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Something we've been enjoying since 1962 naim them dey celebrate?

People Wey we better pass plenty o.

Lest I forget, OP, that thing is ATM. Not ATM machine.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by mainheart(m): 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
so dis our Nigeria is ahead of some country
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
See what insurgency, war etc can cause! It's a great pity, I pray my country find it's salvation soon.
A lesson for those block heads agitating for war.

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
Thank God for Chief Olu Obasanjo's foresight...we would have been a laughing stock by now grin

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Sparrow13: 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
Congratulations to all Somalis, gwoza residence your freedom to is on the way

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Pavore9: 7:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
l am imagining the kind of security that ATM will have as e be say Somali na Al-Shabab playground.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by valicious1(m): 8:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
mployer:

Are you serious?
Keneking:
Thank God for Chief Olu Obasanjo's foresight...we would have been a laughing stock by now grin
englishmart:
Something we've been enjoying since 1962 naim them dey celebrate?
People Wey we better pass plenty o.
Lest I forget, OP, that thing is ATM. Not ATM machine.
Keneking:

See them celebrating and boasting over their ignorance and mediocrity. Nigeria had her 1st ATM in the year 1989, 22 solid years after after the machine was introduced to the world and 19 years after the end of the Nigerian civil war. Somalia had theirs in the year 2014, just 6 years after the end of their conflict, yet you guys have the guts to spew rubbish forgetting say anytime wey u wake 4rm sleep na ur own morning be dat.

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by tpia1: 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
Where is axum or any of his monikers to explain this.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Isiterere(m): 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
and some mofos will be saying Nigeria is a failed state? Smh ...
Imagine Somalia getting it's 1st ATM; Nigeria will be great despite the trouble we're facing....

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by cirmuell(m): 8:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
Omimah:

Yes. A lesson to Nigeria that the current insurgency needs to be curtailed. Already Nigeria has been placed side by side Somalia as a failed state.
you guys should stop typing trash all over the internet just cuz you have access to internet...what made Nigeria a failed state dimwit?

1 Like

Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by Omimah: 8:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
cirmuell:
you guys should stop typing trash all over the internet just cuz you have access to internet...what made Nigeria a failed state dimwit?
Read my post again, I never said our country is failed, but people do say it. An American musician, I guess Alicia keys, said it in her new song. Google it.
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by cirmuell(m): 8:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
Omimah:

Read my post again, I never said our country is failed, but people do say it. An American musician, I guess Alicia keys, said it in her new song. Google it.
google what? so Alicia's "we are here" is what defines your country abi? angry guy dede o
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by mekadinho(f): 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
chelseabmw:

Yes sir
Is this what Shekaru the vir.gin seeker wants for North Easterners?
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by sekzy99(m): 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Mogbe!
Re: Somalia's First ATM Machine Opens In Mogadishu by courage54(m): 9:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
Thank God Nigeria is still better than some people. But we can be better with Buhari as the president.

Sai BUHARI.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG: N6 Billion Oyo Ogbomosho Road Approved. / Ashia Visit To The Us(photoshop Gone Wrong) / Troops At Parisu, Shekau's Headquarter In Sambisa - SK Usman (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.