Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,035 members, 7,799,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

The Mother's Role - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Mother's Role (2991 Views)

Guess Who Is The Mother And Who Is The Daughter? / The Mother Who's Proud To Parade Naked Infront Of Her 13-year-old Son / How Do I Leave The Mother Of My Baby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mother's Role by wandevincent(m): 7:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
A mother has two roles in her life,
One is the mother, the other the wife.
One brings to life a child to love,
A perfect being sent from above.
The other to love her man through life,
To which she sometimes pays the price.
She loves her man but won’t give in,
To protect her child through thick and thin.
The wife will lie, the mother protects,
The marriage struggles, on the child reflects.
The child grows up and drifts are made,
The role of mother will gently fade,
The wife’s role strengthens as three makes two,
And now the mothers role is new.
She now has three roles in her life,
The mother, the grandmother and still the wife.
The older she gets the more roles she lives,
These roles make her happy because she gives.
As she is nearing the end of her days,
She looks back on all her fondness with praise.
She would never trade all the hard work at all,
She watches them grow, and waits for her call.
Once she has gone and left loved ones behind,
All her roles are remembered as one of a kind.

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by prettiest1(f): 8:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
God help me be a good wife to my husband and a wonderful mother to my children.

Ima ima, you will be so lucky a man to have me and I'll be very happy to be your one and only.

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2014
Yep that's it... A woman's role in life is to be a mother and wife. Rubbish post! This thread is for lazy people without ambition.

4 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 9:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
A person can be a wife and mother plus other things. Being a mother and a wife is not a small role so there's nothing that makes it a lazy person's ambition. Unless of course they intend to do a shoddy job of it.

3 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
kandiikane:
Yep that's it... A woman's role in life is to be a mother and wife. Rubbish post! This thread is for lazy people without ambition.
You come across as a puma. You dey jump.

3 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 1:51am On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
A person can be a wife and mother plus other things. Being a mother and a wife is not a small role so there's nothing that makes it a lazy person's ambition. Unless of course they intend to do a shoddy job of it.
If you cannot read don't refer to a post. How can it be a lazy person's ambition when my post read lazy people without ambition.

@topic:
Question:
Man: what do you want to do or be in life or what role would you want to play in society?

Woman: i want to be a mother and wife.

Only an aimless person would think this is perfectly ok.

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 7:06am On Oct 08, 2014
No need to be insulting. I understood you perfectly the first time.
And my post still stands.
Some women choose being only mothers and wives as their sole lives' careers. It is not aimless.

Do I admire women who combine motherhood and full/part time careers? Yes.
Will I advice someone I know to be a full time stay home mom? Probably not.
Could I be a full time stay home mom? No.

Not because it is a demeaning roles but because one can't foresee the changes that might take place in a spouse and suddenly the sacrifices she has made to in order to be ALWAYS available for her family might then very well turn against her. (Among other PERSONAL reasons)

You might think it is aimless but I'm very sure a family that chooses to have a stay home mom has an AIM for making such a choice.

The most important thing is that it has to be HER CHOICE and not one borne of a husband's you-are-a-woman-and-your-place-is-in-the-kitchen opinion.

kandiikane:

If you cannot read don't refer to a post. How can it be a lazy person's ambition when my post read lazy people without ambition.

@topic:
Question:
Man: what do you want to do or be in life or what role would you want to play in society?

Woman: i want to be a mother and wife.

Only an aimless person would think this is perfectly ok.

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2014
Cococandy I did not insult you, if I did you would know.
As I have written try to read because it just seems like you just want to oppose my statement just for opposing stake. Nothing is wrong with being a mother and wife, I never said it was. My problem is with this statement, "a mother has two roles in life" the op meant a woman because a mother doesn't necessarily mean a wife and a wife doesn't necessarily mean a mother. If you don't find that statement demeaning then I guess you are the type I am talking about. You are arguing baselessly because the point I made has nothing to do with a wife and mother but to those whom's only aim in life is to become a wife and mother and those who believe that's the only things women are there for. It's like saying, all I want to do is become a gold digger, in many relationships it is the man who provides financially therefore your role in society is to sit and eat that money.
Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
No need to be insulting. I understood you perfectly the first time.
And my post still stands.
Some women choose being only mothers and wives as their sole lives' careers. It is not aimless.

Do I admire women who combine motherhood and full/part time careers? Yes.
Will I advice someone I know to be a full time stay home mom? Probably not.
Could I be a full time stay home mom? No.

Not because it is a demeaning roles but because one can't foresee the changes that might take place in a spouse and suddenly the sacrifices she has made to in order to be ALWAYS available for her family might then very well turn against her. (Among other PERSONAL reasons)

You might think it is aimless but I'm very sure a family that chooses to have a stay home mom has an AIM for making such a choice.

The most important thing is that it has to be HER CHOICE and not one borne of a husband's you-are-a-woman-and-your-place-is-in-the-kitchen opinion.

very well said.

3 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 1:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
I would say you're the one getting worked up over nothing.

1) I said a woman can be a wife and a mother among other things. Meaning that she doesn't have to be limited to that if she desires more for herself.infact I'd rebel seriously if anyone tried to dictate to me what my limit in life should be.
(I'm surprised you don't know that about me...yet)

2) I said it has to be HER choice. Not one borne out of other people's opinions. You know,the kind of people who will tell a woman to aspire less just so that she won't be 'too big' for her husband.

3) I don't recall posting any comment which agrees totally with the OP that a woman has only two roles in her life. So what are you on about?

4) The only disagreement I have with your post is that you said if a woman decides to adopt only those two roles for herself,then she is lazy and ambitionless.
I'll only advice such a woman on the possible disadvantages of being a stay home mom and also tell her to find a man who likes such too.

While I'll argue anyday in favor of a woman doing more with herself than being a stay home all round mom and wife,I recognize that some women actually sacrifice their careers to adopt such roles and it doesn't reek of lack of ambition.it is what they feel they need to do.

Mind you I also know that there's a difference between the i-cant-get-a-job kind of women who hide under being a stay home mom to cover their asss and those who made the conscious decision to devote their 24hrs a day to being a mom and wife.

Pls re read this post over and over again.
I don't like being misunderstood.

kandiikane:
Cococandy I did not insult you, if I did you would know.
As I have written try to read because it just seems like you just want to oppose my statement just for opposing stake. Nothing is wrong with being a mother and wife, I never said it was. My problem is with this statement, "a mother has two roles in life" the op meant a woman because a mother doesn't necessarily mean a wife and a wife doesn't necessarily mean a mother. If you don't find that statement demeaning then I guess you are the type I am talking about. You are arguing baselessly because the point I made has nothing to do with a wife and mother but to those whom's only aim in life is to become a wife and mother and those who believe that's the only things women are there for. It's like saying, all I want to do is become a gold digger, in many relationships it is the man who provides financially therefore your role in society is to sit and eat that money.

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2014
^^^ both of them are confusing each other
Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 1:27pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
I would say you're the one getting worked up over nothing.

1) I said a woman can be a wife and a mother among other things. Meaning that she doesn't have to be limited to that if she desires more for herself.infact I'd rebel seriously if anyone tried to dictate to me what my limit in life should be.
(I'm surprised you don't know that about me...yet)

2) I said it has to be HER choice. Not one borne out of other people's opinions. You know,the kind of people who will tell a woman to aspire less just so that she won't be 'too big' for her husband.

3) I don't recall posting any comment which agrees totally with the OP that a woman has only two roles in her life. So what are you on about?

4) The only disagreement I have with your post is that you said if a woman decides to adopt only those two roles for herself,then she is lazy and ambitionless.
I'll only advice such a woman on the possible disadvantages of being a stay home mom and also tell her to find a man who likes such too.

While I'll argue anyday in favor of a woman doing more with herself than being a stay home all round mom and wife,I recognize that some women actually sacrifice their careers to adopt such roles and it doesn't reek of lack of ambition.it is what they feel they need to do.

Mind you I also know that there's a difference between the i-cant-get-a-job kind of women who hide under being a stay home mom to cover their asss and those who made the conscious decision to devote their 24hrs a day to being a mom and wife.

Pls re read this post over and over again.
I don't like being misunderstood.

How can you say you don't like being misunderstood when you have not made yourself to be understood. Stop quoting me if you don't get the point I made because all this your long post is baseless and has nothing to do with my first post.

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2014
eighTHREAD:
^^^ both of them are confusing each other

She is the one confused here because she is arguing something very different to what I posted.

kandiikane:

If cococandy you read the bolded and still cannot comprehend it then I don't see why you are quoting me.
Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 2:23pm On Oct 08, 2014
But my first post didn't quote you smiley
You could have just read and passed.

I don't know what so hard to understand in me saying that I don't agree with you that a woman who choose to be a full time wife and mother is ambitionless.

Anyway never mind
kandiikane:

How can you say you don't like being misunderstood when you have not made yourself to be understood. Stop quoting me if you don't get the point I made because all this your long post is baseless and has nothing to do with my first post.

3 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:

You misunderstood her statement. Read it again. A feminist would understand her point.

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 08, 2014
Ehh op do you know how strong the words 'role in life' are? Life? Ha! shocked or did you mean to type role in the family?? Nawa oo ...

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 2:49pm On Oct 08, 2014
Her point is that a woman who chooses to be ONLY a wife and mother has no ambition. And I disagree. It is that simple.

I think feminism is about CHOICE. Not being made to do what you don't want to do because that's what the society expect from one as a woman. We are in agreement in that aspect.

Meanwhile I don't agree with the Op that those are the only roles a woman has in life. So if she didn't start reading my post with the mindset that I'm concurring with the OP,she wouldn't have misunderstood me.
Both of them are being extreme and I don't agree with either of them.

A woman can decide to be more than a wife and mother and it won't make her a 'bad woman'
(Contrary to OP's)
also a woman can decide to be ONLY a wife and mother and it won't make her ambitionless.
(Contrary to kandi's)

Key word. CHOICE.

I think I'm done here

datalossvictim1:

You misunderstood her statement. Read it again. A feminist would understand her point.

4 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
Her point is that a woman who chooses to be ONLY a wife and mother has no ambition. And I disagree. It is that simple.

I think feminism is about CHOICE. Not being made to do what you don't want to do because that's what the society expect from one as a woman. We are in agreement in that aspect.

Meanwhile I don't agree with the Op that those are the only roles a woman has in life. So if she didn't start reading my post with the mindset that I'm concurring with the OP,she wouldn't have misunderstood me.
Both of them are being extreme and I don't agree with either of them.

A woman can decide to be more than a wife and mother and it won't make her a 'bad woman'
(Contrary to OP's)
also a woman can decide to be ONLY a wife and mother and it won't make her ambitionless.
(Contrary to kandi's)

Key word. CHOICE.

I think I'm done here

Hmmnn I understand your point of view and find it interesting. Perhaps the word ambition is subjective. I had defined and interpreted it as having a career outside the home(family) and influencing the world in general, especially when the term is relating to a woman/mother. I will now take your view on board that being a housewife qualifies as an ambition. Hmmnn I like that.

hmmnnn another interesting point that we 'agree' on. My contention is actually with feminists who think all women should abide by their principles. That is where my use of the term choice comes in.

I honestly doubt the op meant to write life. He must have meant family. But I'm waiting for his reply.

Again your interpretation of ambition is something I have to take on henceforth...

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 08, 2014
datalossvictim1:

look at how feminists are confusing and disagreeing with each other on this thread. grin One will soon come here and start talking about first wave, second wave and third wave as if we are at the beach. Feminism is just confusion.
Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
But my first post didn't quote you smiley
You could have just read and passed.

I don't know what so hard to understand in me saying that I don't agree with you that a woman who choose to be a full time wife and mother is ambitionless.

Anyway never mind

Lol! Abeg comot joor! You didn't quote me but you referred to my post, same thing. It is hard to understand because it doesn't relate to the point of my initial post.

Do you believe as a woman your role in life is to be a wife and mother? Are you okay with being told because you were born with a vagina all you are to be is a wife and mother? If no, you shouldn't have quoted me.

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 5:16pm On Oct 08, 2014
datalossvictim1:
Ehh op do you know how strong the words 'role in life' are? Life? Ha! shocked or did you mean to type role in the family?? Nawa oo ...

Exactly my point!!! Thank you, someone with a brain! I guess the lazies without ambition won't get it because all they were born and brought up to be is to breed, please a man and get fat. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 5:17pm On Oct 08, 2014
eighTHREAD:
look at how feminists are confusing and disagreeing with each other on this thread. grin One will soon come here and start talking about first wave, second wave and third wave as if we are at the beach. Feminism is just confusion.

Shattap joor! You know nothing
Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 5:36pm On Oct 08, 2014
Ok. I don't want this to end on a note of misunderstanding.

Let me try again.
Is it your opinion that any woman who is ok with being told that her role in life ends at being only a mother and wife is ambitionless?
If yes I agree.

Is it your opinion that any woman who CHOOSES by herself to be only a mother and wife ambitionless? If yes. I disagree.

If yes to both,let's agree to disagree.

As for your questions I think my former posts answered them.
Peace. smiley

kandiikane:

Lol! Abeg comot joor! You didn't quote me but you referred to my post, same thing. It is hard to understand because it doesn't relate to the point of my initial post.

Do you believe as a woman your role in life is to be a wife and mother? Are you okay with being told because you were born with a vagina all you are to be is a wife and mother? If no, you shouldn't have quoted me.
Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 6:13pm On Oct 08, 2014
cococandy:
Ok. I don't want this to end on a note of misunderstanding.
Let me try again.
Is it your opinion that any woman who is ok with being told that her role in life ends at being only a mother and wife is ambitionless?
If yes I agree.
Is it your opinion that any woman who CHOOSES by herself to be only a mother and wife ambitionless? If yes. I disagree.
If yes to both,let's agree to disagree.
As for your questions I think my former posts answered them.
Peace. smiley

You are still asking baseless questions. Is your purpose in life to breed and please a man? If yes then you are aimless.

I don't think a man will take very well to being told their purpose in life is to breed several children and finance a woman.
Re: The Mother's Role by shizzle11(m): 6:26pm On Oct 08, 2014
kandiikane:
So are you in any way trying to say that the bolded is wrong?

Now calm down down, take a deep breath and understand this properly. Two things are involved, a mother and a wife.

A mother is not just supposed to give birth to kids, but be a 'real' mother her kids in the real sense of it (motherhood)

A wife isnt jsut supposed to be a life-long partner to a man she is married to, but a 'real' wife in the true sense of it. (emphasis on real with intent) i mean a woman who is to be the neck/pillar/supporter to the husband.

And if a woman as 1) a mother and 2) a wife performs these two roles perfunctorily as is expected, i dont see how her surgeon on earth becomes a failure or how she becomes synonymous to 'lazy people without ambition'. In other words, theres absolutely nothing 'rubbish' about this post, your opinion rather will be more suitable to be refered as such
Re: The Mother's Role by cococandy(f): 6:31pm On Oct 08, 2014
undecided as you wish
kandiikane:

You are still asking baseless questions. Is your purpose in life to breed and please a man? If yes then you are aimless.

I don't think a man will take very well to them being told their purpose in life is to breed several children and finance a woman.
Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 6:58pm On Oct 08, 2014
[[s]quote author=shizzle11 post=26974602]So are you in any way trying to say that the bolded is wrong?

Now calm down down, take a deep breath and understand this properly. Two things are involved, a mother and a wife.

A mother is not just supposed to give birth to kids, but be a 'real' mother her kids in the real sense of it (motherhood)

A wife isnt jsut supposed to be a life-long partner to a man she is married to, but a 'real' wife in the true sense of it. (emphasis on real with intent) i mean a woman who is to be the neck/pillar/supporter to the husband.

And if a woman as 1) a mother and 2) a wife performs these two roles perfunctorily as is expected, i dont see how her surgeon on earth becomes a failure or how she becomes synonymous to 'lazy people without ambition'. In other words, theres absolutely nothing 'rubbish' about this post, your opinion rather will be more suitable to be refered as such[/quote][/s]

You are one of the lazy people without ambition i mentioned, waiting for the day to say I do so you will have another person to be breastfeeding you.Rubbish!
Re: The Mother's Role by shizzle11(m): 7:06pm On Oct 08, 2014
@kandikane, ^why don't you quote me properly or were you simply in a haste to blab?.

You are just ranting anyway cos you still didn't just make any iota of sense with the garbage you just spewed. How can i wait for my wife to be breastfeeding me when I'm the man? you aren't making any sense as usual.

Punk.

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2014
kandiikane:

Exactly my point!!! Thank you, someone with a brain! I guess the lazies without ambition won't get it because all they were born and brought up to be is to breed, please a man and get fat. grin

Lmao @ get fat grin I don't even see how becoming a house wife can be classed as an ambition. If it really is then it is a selfish one. I hold no judgement if staying at home is what one wants but I see it as a necessity not and ambition. I mean you are supposed to take care of your home anyways undecided you just choose to do it 24/7.

Also imagine after going through secondary and tertiary education, one ends up confining themselves to the household. Where and when would one get the chance to broaden their horizon, contribute to their society and explore the world really... I actually like the bias society places on this issue.

Anyways make I go chop and get fat grin

2 Likes

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 7:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Lmao @ get fat grin I don't even see how becoming a house wife can be classed as an ambition. If it really is then it is a selfish one. I hold no judgement if staying at home is what one wants but I see it as a necessity not and ambition. I mean you are supposed to take care of your home anyways undecided you just choose to do it 24/7.

Also imagine after going through secondary and tertiary education, one ends up confining themselves to the household. Where and when would one get the chance to broaden their horizon, contribute to their society and explore the world really... I actually like the bias society places on this issue.

Anyways make I go chop and get fat grin

Lool, my point exactly. Yes oo, they are contributing more to the society by breeding as if they are the only ones capable of doing such. That education is a waste of time, money and resources. I know many women who become housewives due to circumstances but it's never something where they believe that it's their only role in life because once the baby reaches a certain age, they get up and go out to do whatever they need to do to contribute to the society.
[s]
shizzle11:
@kandikane, ^why don't you quote me properly or were you simply in a haste to blab?.
You are just ranting anyway cos you still didn't just make any iota of sense with the garbage you just spewed. How can i wait for my wife to be breastfeeding me when I'm the man? you aren't making any sense as usual.
Punk.
[/s]
So because you are a man you were never breastfed? And you think your post made sense? You are talking shyt. Stop referring to me, I don't like when my name is joined to ediotic posts.
Re: The Mother's Role by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 08, 2014
OP distinctly say mother, not woman, in his post and 24 hours there's weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Moreover, why can't people just be what they want to be without someone telling them they haven't dreamed enough or reached enough? If it doesn't hurt you, move on. Not everyone will buy your opinions or advice...

1 Like

Re: The Mother's Role by kandiikane(m): 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2014
Even if the op meant mother, his opening post is still rubbish because not every mother is a wife and not every wife is a mother therefore his opening statement should have been woman. It doesn't make sense to say every mother has two roles in life and that is a wife and mother. He already mentioned mother.

The statement hurts us women who believe that we are capable of much more than just breeding and pleasing a man. It sets us back almost 200 years.

I believe I made my point hours ago, if anyone still wants to thrash it out with my post you can do so without me. I'm out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help!!! / Nigerian Men Should Marry As Many Women As They Can - Dr. Umeham / What To Say About A Very Ugly Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.