Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke (10548 Views)

A List Of Great Players Who Failed As Coaches / Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
They earned colossal amounts of pounds and dollars in careers that spanned many years from Europe to Asia but they most probably did not put enough aside to tide them over a football career that could end almost as soon it started. They flew and rode the best cars at the heights of their careers and bought things without batting an eye. This list is not exhaustive though some of the players are trying to regain their footing after some of their investments went kaput!

1. Celestine Babayaro
The former Super Eagles star and most probably the best cultured left-back that has played for Nigeria played for some of the biggest clubs in both England and Belgium declared himself bankrupt at a court in Croydon in 2011.
At a time in his career, Cele, as he was famously known, was amongst the highest paid African players in the world as he earned a tidy pile of ‘cash’ stated to be between £25,000 and $30,000 per week at Chelsea.
He was reported to have lived an expensive lifestyle both here in Nigeriaand England. Stories went round of how he blew thousands of Pounds in buying exotic items and also partied hard with friends.
According to a BBC report, Celestine
Babayaro "financial troubles became
apparent to his neighbours, with one
saying that his usually beautifully kept
house, began to look a bit unkempt,
with the garden overgrowing and the
conservatory falling down".

2. Ifeanyi Udeze
Most Super Eagles supporters in the
early years of the new century will be
familiar with Ifeanyi Udeze, the
explosive left-back was a key member
of the national team between 2000 to
Sadly, things have took a turn for the
worse for Udeze as sources close to the
player revealed that the former World
Cup star is neck deep in debt after
squandering the substantial fortune he
gained during his playing days on high
stake gambling and other luxuries.
Udeze who featured for AEK Athens,
PAOK FC, and West Brom while active,
is also said to have a particular
preference for locally manufactured gin
(Kparaga) and he can also been seen
indulging in street gambling with some
undesirable elements around his
neighbourhood.

3. Taribo West
Former Super Eagles defender, Taribo
West is perhaps the most successful
Nigerian centre-back in history. At the
height of his career, he was regarded as
one of the best defenders in Europe and
was a key member of the Inter Milan
squad between 1997 and 1999 and was
also part of the victorious Olympic gold
winning dream team side in 1996.
However, despite featuring for top sides
in Europe such as AC Milan, Derby
County, Kaiserslautern, Partizan and a
brief spell in the Middle East with
Qatari side, Al-Arabi Doha, Taribo is
said to be in financial deep waters as
the millions he made during his playing
days seems to have been washed away
by in a Tsunami. He also made a bad
investment in his marriage but now can
be seen on Lagos streets preaching
and trying his hands in winning souls
for God a vocation he undertook
towards the end of his career.

4. Victor Agali
Victor Agali formed a formidable striker
partnership with Nwankwo Kanu which
was fondly dubbed the ‘Twin Towers’.
The tall and lanky stubborn forward
was particular loved by Super Eagles
fans due to his proficiency in aerial
duels.
His tall physique and his imposing
stature saw him lace his boots for top
European sides such as Olympique
Marseille, Hansa Rostock, Schalke 04,
and Nice.
However, sources close to the player
revealed that the former Super Eagles
star is not doing too well financially.
Apparently, despite earning an average
pay of £25, 000 per week while in
Germany, some failed investments and
a clearly lavish lifestyle has seen him
scrapping financially. Agali was last
seen hosting a Reality TV show in
Lagos.

5. Chikelue Iloenyosi
Chikelue Iloenyosi may not be up to the pedigree of players mentioned earlier in terms of achievement, but he did made a career playing football and quite a profitable one at that. He was part of the national U-20 side that featured in the World Youth Championship in Nigeria in 1999. He also won four caps with the Super
Eagles. He is famous for his marriage to Nollywood star, Stephenie Okereke that was annulled by a Lagos court after it was discovered that he was legally married to another woman in the United States at the time he took Stephenie to the altar. However, despite featuring for clubs in Turkey, Libya, Australia and Saudi Arabia, Iloenyosi is not doing too well financially at present. Sources claim that the defender has delved into fashion designing with a keen interest in men’s clothing.

Please note that this is not an attempt to smear the individuals mentioned. Feel free to add your comments on the persons listed or any other person you feel should be on the list in the comment
www..com/5-nigerian-players-who-haveggone-broke#sthash.REwWbYOu.gbpl

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
Lol did u just say dt about Taribo West? Kai Nigerians sha,u guys know hw to F someone up sha,am choking with laughter

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 1:31pm On Oct 09, 2014
fabiano09:
Lol did u just say dt about Taribo West? Kai Nigerians sha,u guys know hw to F someone up sha,am choking with laughter
What's funny here?
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2014
Emmysteve:
What's funny here?
He also made a bad
towards the end of his career....

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
fabiano09:

He also made a bad
towards the end of his career....
Lol i see but what is that bad investment he did in marriage? Have never heard anything concerning that
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by buskie13(m): 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2014
although i don't like Mikel.....but i can't pray such to happen to him.....may God restore them once again.....
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
Babayaro is so cute.. Pink lips... No homo.. He is the greatest left back Nigeria had ever produced.. I will rank Taiye Taiwo ahead of ifeanyi udeze at left back.. I have forgotten the name of the braided fair guy that once played for CSKA Moscow.. These guys are far ahead of elderson echiejele at left back.. I hope he learns from their football skills not financial mismanagement..

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 3:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
Daninya1:
Babayaro is so cute.. Pink lips... No homo.. He is the greatest left back Nigeria had ever produced.. I will rank Taiye Taiwo ahead of ifeanyi udeze at left back.. I have forgotten the name of the braided fair guy that once played for CSKA Moscow.. These guys are far ahead of elderson echiejele at left back.. I hope he learns from their football skills not financial mismanagement..
How can you rate Taye Taiwo ahead of Elderson Echiejile? Do you watch super eagles lately at all? Taiwo that often overlaps without cover? I am bewildered

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by dabossman(m): 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
A good thread for all those "stop beefing him, he is making his millions" crew.

You can hardly criticize any footballers (or even celebrity) these days without being called a hater beefing someone making his millions. Well, guess what, those millions can be filtered away in a jiffy.

No one is above criticism. I hope our music stars of today are listening and learning. Invest wisely and prayerfully.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by seankay(m): 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
Daninya1:
Chidi Ordiah and he played as a) not LB
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
busy body o p ...............

did anyone of dem come to ur house to beg for food?[img]busy body o p ...............

did anyone of dem come to ur house to beg for food?[/img]busy body o p ...............

did anyone of dem come to ur house to beg for food?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by mainheart(m): 7:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
And 4 out of 5 of them played back position, and Mikel is playing towards the same back position
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Wittylens(m): 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2014
Mikel More Than The Above Mentioned. Mikel Earns About #20Million Per Week At Chelsea.

I Believe He's Wise Enough And Will Invest Wisely.
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 8:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
Why are some people shouting Mikel! Mikel!! Do people care about Mikel this much
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Christmasdon(m): 8:45pm On Oct 09, 2014
Op. Where is Jay Jay Okocha. On that list.
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Emmysteve(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2014
Christmasdon:
Op. Where is Jay Jay Okocha. On that list.
Jay Okocha is never broke. Okocha is a big business man for your information.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by manuch(m): 9:50pm On Oct 09, 2014
poster u are joker Taribo broke. that story is trash. this is a guy that has estates in Lekki and Port harcourt. and properties in Italy and u.k .
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Chanchit: 10:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
Emmysteve:
How can you rate Taye Taiwo ahead of Elderson Echiejile? Do you watch super eagles lately at all? Taiwo that often overlaps without cover? I am bewildered

So after watching Taiye and Echiejile, you think Echiejile is better, well, I won't blame you, I blame Keshi. When Taiye is on the pitch, you will know he's on the pitch, but you can't say same for Bro Echi'.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Enahi(f): 11:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
manuch:
poster u are joker Taribo broke. that story is trash. this is a guy that has estates in Lekki and Port harcourt. and properties in Italy and u.k .
U can lie
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 10, 2014
seankay:

Chidi Ordiah and he played as a) not LB
Chidi odiah that's the name... The guy was so good and always busy minded...

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by kliq(m): 9:31am On Oct 10, 2014
Daninya1:
Babayaro He is the greatest left back Nigeria had ever produced.. I will rank Taiye Taiwo ahead of ifeanyi udeze at left back.. I have forgotten the name of the braided fair guy that once played for CSKA Moscow.. These guys are far ahead of elderson echiejele at left back.. I hope he learns from their football skills not financial mismanagement..
Heard of Ben Iroha?

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 10, 2014
kliq:

Heard of Ben Iroha?
yes,in the oldies..was a kid then,pls tell me more about him..
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2014
Femi opabunmi,who played for nigeria under 17 at d under 17 world cup,shooting stars,grasshoppers etc.he lost his sight when playing for grasshopper..he was d second highest goal scorer at d tournament.while playing for grasshopper in switzerland,he lived an extravangant lifestyle,even when he comes home he doesnt visit his family..i heard he traded his silver boot and bronze ball for money at adamasingba stadium in ibadan..his there wanderin around up till today.he claimed many of his friends deserted him when he had eye problem.
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by kliq(m): 4:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
Daninya1:

yes,in the oldies..was a kid then,pls tell me more about him..
Lol not too old though....Benedict Iroha played in the early nineties alongside Keshi,Siasia,Eguavon etc,he was a reliable leftback who also played for some European clubs.
I rate him above Babayaro(my opinion).

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Yello1(m): 4:58pm On Oct 10, 2014
dos who are broke are called brokers
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 10, 2014
Owu nah confirm ¡d¡ot,I swear.
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
Daninya1:

14 years in jail no be beans...you think sey 9ja police go accept that excuse?
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by dstnd: 9:35pm On Oct 10, 2014
Daninya1:
abbey george nko
Re: 5 Nigerian Players Who Have Gone Broke by aboyaji(m): 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
this is the reason why every man should have vision. Save for tomorrow

(1) (Reply)

Port Harcourt To Host Sierra Leone Vs Cote D’ivoire AFCON Qualifier / Leeds United Sack Marcelo Bielsa, Announce Replacement Tomorrow / Ranti Martins Soleye: A Promising Striker For Super Eagles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.