Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:08 AM

Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier (37281 Views)

Egypt Vs Nigeria AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 0 on 29th March 2016 / Nigeria Vs Tanzania : AFCON Qualifier (0 - 0) ON 5th September 2015 / Nigeria Vs South Africa: AFCON Qualifier (2 - 2) On 19th November 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 10, 2014
Flango:

B4 d construction of d new wembley we have today, England play matches in stadia across d country and they always had d studium filled to capacity. Reason because football belongs to d fans/masses and nt d londoners only. The locals are always excited when d national team is brought to their locality, We see this happening in other parts of europe. England play all their games in wembley presently 'cos their's a contract keeping them there 'til 2017. Mind u d English FA has plans to review that at d end of d contract. Wembley currently doesn't get filled up especially if England is playing against d so called small teams.

lies! When Wembly was being reconstructed, England played their matches at Old Trafford only and no where else!

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
Flango:

B4 d construction of d new wembley we have today, England play matches in stadia across d country and they always had d studium filled to capacity. Reason because football belongs to d fans/masses and nt d londoners only. The locals are always excited when d national team is brought to their locality, We see this happening in other parts of europe. England play all their games in wembley presently 'cos their's a contract keeping them there 'til 2017. Mind u d English FA has plans to review that at d end of d contract. Wembley currently doesn't get filled up especially if England is playing against d so called small teams.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by sokarsenal(m): 10:11pm On Oct 10, 2014
alentyno:

the bolded alone gives me more joy more than the stadium itself.

Btw anyone has an idea of how much PH to Uyo costs by flight bus? grin grin
. Ph to uyo by bus is 1000 naira, suv ( mostly toyota sienna) is 1,200......from waterlines

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 10, 2014
I heard someone saying the football powerhouses in Europe play their matches just anywhere. Thats abolutely untrue. Italy plays only at the Stadio Olympico. Germany Plays only at the Berlin stadium with Blue tracks (what a beautiful track). I don't know where spain plays but i think its the Bernabeu. Portugal plays only at the Estadio de luiz. Russia plays at the that stadium Man U last won the Chanpions league. Wales still play at the Millenium stadium. Etc
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by lusciouslex: 10:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
austinbrown:
insult ur father
Your mom wants to make me your Step-father. Is that hurtful and insulting enough for you?
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 10, 2014
wheeladealar:
Akwa ibom stadium is classy,stylish and sophisticated,Akpabio is a blessing to akwa ibom state.I just wish all other state governors would think more about serving their people than stuffing their pockets.we have only two governors in this country.one is Akpabio of akwaibom,and the other is Fashola of Lagos.others are just full of shit and stinking of mediocrity.

i am actually disappointed at the LASG

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by yousee(m): 10:26pm On Oct 10, 2014
omar22:
I dont know why the NFA took an international game to a stadium thats in the middle of nowhere?

and 30k capacity, is that the best Nigeria could come up with?

Akwa Ibom or Uyo is not a football crazy city and its not central for all the fans to get to..

Nigeria needs a stadium that will create a hostile atmosphere for the opposition, not one that will make our opponent feel like they are playing at home.
See me see wahala o! You wash ball rich kalabar man?

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by sokarsenal(m): 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Flango: 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2014
craziebone:

lies! When Wembly was being reconstructed, England played their matches at Old Trafford only and no where else!

St Andrews' (Birmingham City). St Andrews' didn't host an Englnad international during this period. All the others hosted one game. Portman Road hosted England's 3-1 victory over Croatia in a friendly match in August 2003. The Riverside Stadium was the venue for a Euro 2004 qualifier in June 2003, in which England beat Slovakia 2-1. Pride Park's only international came in May 2001 when England beat Mexico 4-0 in a friendly. Old Trafford hosted the most England games, 14. Stamford Bridge followed with 4 matches, while St James' Park, Anfield, and Villa Park all hosted three matches. The City of Manchester Stadium held 2 games. Other stadiums to host one game over this period are the Stadium of Light, Walkers Stadium, St Mary's Stadium, Upton Park, and White Hart Lane.
I rest my case.

2 Likes

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 10, 2014
craziebone:

Not true. From 2001- first quarter of 2007, England played at the:

Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
Old Trafford (Manchester) and
Anfield (Liverpool)
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by sokarsenal(m): 10:43pm On Oct 10, 2014
omar22:
I dont know why the NFA took an international game to a stadium thats in the middle of nowhere?

and 30k capacity, is that the best Nigeria could come up with?

Akwa Ibom or Uyo is not a football crazy city and its not central for all the fans to get to..

Nigeria needs a stadium that will create a hostile atmosphere for the opposition, not one that will make our opponent feel like they are playing at home.
. Middle of nowhere?, the new stadium at.
uyo?, how can one type so confidently in
ignorance.
This is true though......with the quality of
the stadium
.....it should have atleast been more than
40k capacity......and yes Nigeria (federal
government) didn't build the stadium, it
was built by a state government........give
them some credit. Talk of akwa ibom not
being central.....then your argument could
hold water.....lagos isn't central also and
'central' abuja hardly has its 60k capacity
filled,,,,,,,,,but talk about Uyo not being a
football crazy city and show your
ignorance, a small street in a football
viewing center in uyo had over 300 people
watching stoke city vs sunderland, just to
watch victor moses play and there are like
2 other viewing center in that
street........and yet u think they wouldn't
come out to watch him
live?..........True......national stadium,
surulere did that (hostile atmosphere)
.......teslim balogun stadium was tried it
didn't create that same effect......the
northern stadium like sani abacha
stadium in kano has that 'hostile
atmosphere'........but those places are
literally BOKO HARAM HOSTILE
ATMOSPHERE

2 Likes

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Arbiola(f): 10:46pm On Oct 10, 2014
SOUTH AFRICANS PLS BEWARE OF THESE BOKO BOYS,THEY'RE VERY DANGEROUS OH.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Flango: 10:48pm On Oct 10, 2014
CFCfan:

Not true. From 2001- first quarter of 2007, England played at the:

Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
Old Trafford (Manchester) and
Anfield (Liverpool)

Guy abeg leave that one...
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Flango: 11:06pm On Oct 10, 2014
craziebone:
I heard someone saying the football powerhouses in Europe play their matches just anywhere. Thats abolutely untrue. Italy plays only at the Stadio Olympico. Germany Plays only at the Berlin stadium with Blue tracks (what a beautiful track). I don't know where spain plays but i think its the Bernabeu. Portugal plays only at the Estadio de luiz. Russia plays at the that stadium Man U last won the Chanpions league. Wales still play at the Millenium stadium. Etc

Why do u show such level of ignorance in a public forum?
Italy's game this break will be held in palermo. B4 d world cup, they had games in Naples, Parma and other places. They play in turin, sicily, verona, etc.
Germany's last game vs ireland i think was played in d Signal d' Iduna park. They also played in other venues. 4 spain, i can't even remember when last they played at the Bernabue.
SMH 4 ur ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by babyboy3(m): 11:14pm On Oct 10, 2014
CFCfan:

The Uyo stadium is expandable to 60,000

You Cant double the size of that very stadium unless you knock it down and build it again.

No chance
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by starlingbawa(m): 11:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
Good one!!!
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2014
babyboy3:

You Cant double the size of that very stadium unless you knock it down and build it again.

No chance

Julius Berger says otherwise. I'm guessing the base of the roof was made wide enough to support the addition of an extra tier of seating. Of course, the roof would have to be taken down during expansion.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by babyboy3(m): 11:23pm On Oct 10, 2014
Flango:

Guy abeg leave that one...

Yes they did move the games around the Eng vs Turkey was at the Stadium of Light, but thats a 45k Stadium, Anfield is also 45k
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by eljimmah: 11:24pm On Oct 10, 2014
alentyno:

just #1200.....

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by aris2014(m): 11:29pm On Oct 10, 2014
M4gunners:
The Stadium make sense die,my only concern is the Capacity just 30k too small.
That is the 1st build. And it can be expanded to 50k capacity in the future
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by babyboy3(m): 11:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
CFCfan:

Julius Berger says otherwise. I'm guessing the base of the roof was made wide enough to support the addition of an extra tier of seating. Of course, the roof would have to be taken down during expansion.

Look I have worked on building projects, to take that stadium to 60k they will have to put 2 tiers on top of the original stadium, and looking at the structure I dont think thats possible, One tier (30k) will be very be big and too heavy to handle by the original structure, the other option which Man City did with the Etihad stadium was to remove the running track and dig deep and turn it into a football only stadium but that will take it up around 45-50k max will be pushing their luck
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by ClickItBaby(m): 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
alentyno:

1000naira

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2014
babyboy3:

Look I have worked on building projects, to take that stadium to 60k they will have to put 2 tiers on top of the original stadium, and looking at the structure I dont think thats possible, One tier (30k) will be very be big and too heavy to handle by the original structure, the other option which Man City did with the Etihad stadium was to remove the running track and dig deep and turn it into a football only stadium but that will take it up around 45-50k max will be pushing their luck
Okay.
We'll see how the future of the stadium will be. The stadium only needs an additional 10,000 seats for it to host a World Cup group game.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by aris2014(m): 11:41pm On Oct 10, 2014
babyboy3:

No chance

Guy you are wrong, the space of future expansion is already there ok. When expanding a stadium you don't have to destroy it and rebuild it again. That's why engineer are involve not just ordinary builder . It can be expanded to 50 to 60k capacity
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 10, 2014
Without doubt Abuja stadium is still the best in Nigeria followed by Uyo.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by ProfyJay(m): 11:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
alentyno:

. With less than 1k you're good to go!

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by daveP(m): 11:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
CFCfan:

Maybe LASG could handover the Teslim Balogun stadium to the AFN as an athletics-only stadium.
a similar thought here too.

And it still beats me. Since we've been building tracks in almost all our stadiums, how many of them are utilized. Cant we just phase it out and build only fields? Its like an african thing(always track) is it hope or what?

@topic this stadium is truly world class. cool
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by daveP(m): 11:57pm On Oct 10, 2014
spanzed:
I don't care the stadium dem use...what I want is result,if them like like dem use kano pillars stadium tongue
lmao nembe city? grin
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by aris2014(m): 12:04am On Oct 11, 2014
babyboy3:

No chance

It can bros . Read through it and you will see it can be expanded to 60k. dailyindependentnig.com/2013/11/the-essence-of-akwa-ibom-olympic-stadium/
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 12:05am On Oct 11, 2014
daveP:
a similar thought here too.

And it still beats me. Since we've been building tracks in almost all our stadiums, how many of them are utilized. Cant we just phase it out and build only fields? Its like an african thing(always track) is it hope or what?

@topic this stadium is truly world class. cool
The tracks are meant to save money by not building a separate Athletics stadium. But I agree with you that the Nigerian/African of installing tracks in almost every stadium has to be jettisoned.
Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by daveP(m): 12:13am On Oct 11, 2014
CFCfan:

The tracks are meant to save money by not building a separate Athletics stadium. But I agree with you that the Nigerian/African of installing tracks in almost every stadium has to be jettisoned.
it has to. Unless AFN comes up with a very vibrant idea that would make every single lane to be useful. I rem the last time i entered Liberty. The tracks were used for a primary school Comp. That 'save money' itch should be set aside.

1 Like

Re: Uyo Stadium To Host Nigeria Vs South Africa 2015 Afcon Qualifier by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 11, 2014
daveP:
it has to. Unless AFN comes up with a very vibrant idea that would make every single lane to be useful. I rem the last time i entered Liberty. The tracks were used for a primary school Comp. That 'save money' itch should be set aside.
Yes, I reckon it wouldn't cost a lot to build a 2,000 - 3,000 seater Athletics stadium.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Treats His Girlfriend And Son To A London Dinner Date (photos) / VIDEO: Nigeria Beat Japan 5 - 4 (Rio Olympics) / Paul Pogba Spotted In Mecca For Ramadan (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.