Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant (17131 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / FG, China To Fund $5bn Mambilla Power Plant / FG Signs $1bn Mou On 1,000MW Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Orina(m): 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday flagged-off the first phase of the $1 billion Azura-Edo power plant, the first fully privately financed independent power plant (IPP) in the country, located in Ihovbor/Orior Odemwende communities of Edo State.

He called on communities around the country who are hosts to several federal, state and private sector projects to play their roles as there is development in partnership.

This is even as he said the Federal Government will continue to ensure that the growth of the electricity industry becomes self-sustaining and sustainable.

Speaking at the groundbreaking of the Azura-Edo independent power plant in Edo State, the president said, “I want to use this opportunity to call on all the local communities around the country who are hosts to several federal, state and even private sector projects, that have been hindered by community disruptions, to recognise that in partnership there is development and so, everyone must play their roles”.

He added, “My administration is fully committed to continuously improving the framework and enabling environment based on sound policy formulation, access to long-term low interest finance, and transparent and consistent regulatory guidelines”.

The first phase of the Azura-Edo IPP is a 450 megawatts greenfield, open cycle gas turbine power station, with a total capital cost of $735 million. It represents the first phase of a 1,500 megawatts power plant facility.

It is the first fully financed private sector power plant project. It is also the first power generation project to receive the World Bank Partial Risk Guarantee and Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) support.

The IPP project, a 450-megawatt of new generation capacity, which is expected to be completed by early 2017, has attracted almost a billion dollars, mainly in foreign direct investment, into the power sector, comprised of $700 million in construction of the power plant, and $300 million in associated gas supply infrastructure.

The president said he was greatly encouraged at the progress made so far towards reforming the power sector, since the launch of the road map on power sector reform back on August 26, 2010.
He said the flag-off of the project is the first signal from the global financial industry that the years of work that the Federal Government has dedicated to the reform of the power sector, in order to attract private sector developers and financing, is finally yielding results.

According to President Jonathan, the Azura project demonstrates without a doubt, that “we have laid a strong foundation on which we are building a sound and sustainable electricity industry, with great expectations for robust growth in the sector. However, success in any endeavour does not happen by accident, but is facilitated by sound decisions, conscious effort, and immense persistence”.

He further said government is committed to irreversibly repositioning the Nigerian power sector as a pivot for the attainment of the nation’s developmental targets.

“We are also maintaining our policy push for increased diversification of our energy, expanding investments in large hydro power projects through public-private partnerships, and the provision of necessary support to accelerate the exploitation of our coal resources”, he said.
http://businessdayonline.com/2014/10/jonathan-flags-off-first-phase-1bn-azura-edo-greenfield-power-plant/#.VDgbHl2t-o8

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by inereunwa1(m): 8:44pm On Oct 10, 2014
Welcome development! Wow I made fp! First of all i give God all the glory, and a big thanks to my lovely mother for giving birth to me, and to oga seun for this wonderful forum and a hail all nairalanders: first to comment, space bookers etc. And a big happy birthday to me come october 27!!

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Obinoscopy(m): 10:17pm On Oct 10, 2014
inereunwa1:
Welcome development!
Yes it is. Kudos to Oshiomhole.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by jking001(m): 10:54pm On Oct 10, 2014
Nice one GEJ.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by naughtylagosguy(m): 12:16am On Oct 11, 2014
We need more of this so that we can enjoy improved power supply in the country.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by ddooskie(m): 12:16am On Oct 11, 2014
More of this.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Debraino: 12:17am On Oct 11, 2014
Dats kool

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by modupeaderonke(f): 12:17am On Oct 11, 2014
GEJ till 2029.......................

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by lonelydora: 12:17am On Oct 11, 2014
Fresh air still coming from GEJ.

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by lovingD(m): 12:19am On Oct 11, 2014
Ok,thats good.

To send your greeting/wishes click like today na my birthday

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by edgyslim: 12:21am On Oct 11, 2014
Another white elephant project. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by chimerase2: 12:22am On Oct 11, 2014
Nice mister president alias efere opku kudos cheers! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by iceberylin(m): 12:22am On Oct 11, 2014
2015 ĨŚĤ angry
Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 11, 2014
Well done Mr president and Kudos to Oshiomole. I really love this guy, especially his pattern of dressing. wink

Most of y'all haterz kept saying the project has nothing to do with my beloved Jona or Oshiomole. When Luck Igbinedion was governor of Edo State, Aba in Abia state na London when comparing the whole of Edo state. Buh today there is so many changes and development in Edo state when last I visited. Let's appreciate good things and don't allow hatred explode in our stomach like IED explosive grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 11, 2014
I wish I was involved in this largesse

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by blemon44(m): 12:22am On Oct 11, 2014
GEJ is really doing a great walk but what i still don't understand is why some people are hating, i just don't get it.
As for me and my family we will vote Goodluck till the world ends.

24 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 11, 2014
Don't be suprise my fellow nairalander if you visit the site and see for yourself that all this talk about this and that is merely publicity stunt #say no to corruption

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by mcocolok(m): 12:24am On Oct 11, 2014
Everyday na so so flag... Later, breeze go blow the flag lost

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Babyboy1986(m): 12:24am On Oct 11, 2014
Ok
Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by rufychuks: 12:24am On Oct 11, 2014
I hope this isnt another charade. Power Stations are being launched everytime but no major improvement in power supply. Lets hope this is the real deal.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Willgates(m): 12:25am On Oct 11, 2014
.. .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Babyboy1986(m): 12:26am On Oct 11, 2014
Who cares if you vote he or not.
blemon44:
GEJ is really doing a great walk but what i still don't understand is why some people are hating, i just don't get it.
As for me and my family we will vote Goodluck till the world ends.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 11, 2014
voltron:
I wish I was involved in this largesse

grin
Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by buoye1(m): 12:27am On Oct 11, 2014
Supermods make una go crash!!!!abi na winch una B?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by odepacy: 12:28am On Oct 11, 2014
Tanx jona

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by tempest01(m): 12:30am On Oct 11, 2014
If it is every region to himself in power generation, I think each region will have to harness it's resources well in order to provide electricity, and it will lead to improvement...this centralization of a thing though

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by tempest01(m): 12:31am On Oct 11, 2014
If it is every region to itself in power generation, I think each region will have to harness it's resources well in order to provide electricity, and it will lead to improvement...this centralization of a thing though

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 11, 2014
edgyslim:
Another white elephant project. SMH

Sadist. Must you always show urself with all ur negative opinion? Nothing Jona have done u ever liked. I have been noticing ur comments angry

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by patriotic007: 12:33am On Oct 11, 2014
LET THE TRANSFORMATION GO ON....GEJ TILL 2019

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by scribble: 12:36am On Oct 11, 2014
Well it is what it is

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by rufychuks: 12:37am On Oct 11, 2014
Obinoscopy:
Yes it is. Kudos to Oshiomhole.
How does this concern Oshiomole? That the project is situated in Edo State doesn't mean the state government played any role in its creation. According to the article, it was privately funded and backed by the federal government and world bank.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-off First Phase Of The $1bn Azura-Edo Greenfield Power Plant by lilprinze: 12:40am On Oct 11, 2014
Patiently waiting for those enemies of progress called APC (Anti progressive Change) to condemn this good development.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Data Shows CBN Not Defending Naira With FX Reserves - Businessday / Tony Elumelu Foundation And UNDP To Empower Only Northern Nigerians? / Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.