Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? (5954 Views)

What's Your Favourite Food? And Your Bad Table Manner: Share With Us / Confess Your Bad Table Manners And That Of Others You Hate. / Why Is Africa Foods Very Smelling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
This happened today and I decided to share it with my e-buddies. I got pretty hungry within the day and had to go for lunch with friends (not in a fast food though) - when we got there, immediately they served us, I picked up my spoon and smelt it (stylishly) : now this is a habit that I formed over the years - it's now reflex - I must smell my spoon before eating.

I do it everywhere, @weddings, child dedications...I have lost count of how many times my husband/family/friends have told me to stop it - but I can't cry. Let me take us back to how I formed this habit.

I think it should be about 6yrs ago, when we relegated my kid sis (the smallest sis) into the kitchen dept., she was about 10/11yrs then. She had the weirdest way of washing dishes. One day she served my food - the spoon was already inside the rice...when I started eating, I kept noticing this 'cockroach like smell'. I checked the plate, the tray, my mind didn't even go to the spoon.

Then bang...I smelt the spoon and I threw up immediately, it was the damn spoon - I felt like beating that lil-witch that day. It destabilized my system for days (I kept throwing up)...so since then, I don't care where/when/how...I smell my spoon/cup before using to eat, except I washed it myself.

The question is
:- Is this habit of mine that bad, my friends couldn't stop talking about it today. embarassed
:-Does anyone else do this? I don't want to believe I'm alone. cry

Dedicated to Chibwike /Priscaoge kiss

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by chibwike(m): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
FTC..on ur first thread....now you can clap for me
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by chibwike(m): 7:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
Thank you for the acknowledgement...i only smell plates or cups before i use them, to knw if the detergent used in washing it is still there, buh for spoon...nah..i use it straightaway witawt smelling
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Priceless24(f): 7:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's a bit weird, but I always check my cutlery and use a napkin to clean especially the forks because many people don't wash the prongs properly. But if you are so sensitive about it why don't you try carrying your own cutlery, that way you wash it yourself and don't have to keep smelling others.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by icekream(m): 7:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Front page!
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
Priceless24:
It's a bit weird, but I always check my cutlery and use a napkin to clean especially the forks because many people don't wash the prongs properly. But if you are so sensitive about it why don't you try carrying your own cutlery, that way you wash it yourself and don't have to keep smelling others.

hahaha...I carry to work o, but what about weddings? Wouldn't it be weirder that I bring out spoons from my clutch like one kiddie in boarding house? Hahahaha

Everyone keeps saying it's weird, how exactly is it weird? It's precautionary motive na embarassed

Yeayea, much love from me to you @Chibwike #e-hugs#

1 Like

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by LEERICIST(m): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
I don't think it's a bad table manner.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by eigmaticme: 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
I don't smell the cutlery but I wipe it before using.

What I smell is the food and almost evryone I know dislikes this, but if it doesn't smell right to me then I am not eating it...even if na gold dust dem use spice am
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Ploy(m): 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
I do it everywhere too
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ploy:
I do it everywhere too
ahhha, my peeps kept saying I'm definitely the only human that does it grin. Let me show them that we're now two.

eigmaticme:
I don't smell the cutlery but I wipe it before using.
What I smell is the food and almost evryone I know dislikes this, but if it doesn't smell right to me then I am not eating it...even if na gold dust dem use spice am

lmao...your own got me laughing out loud here. I think yours is worst...hahahaha.
I stylishly smell the plate too, then I also blow my straw - in case there are baby cockroaches inside...lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
My lil brother does the same thing,and no matter how you scold him from now till tomorrow,he won't change. You can scream your lungs out for all he cares so i learnt to always rinse my spoon and plate before dishing...in public,when served food,i wipe with the serviette tho i forget sometimes and eat.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by eigmaticme: 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

ahhha, my peeps kept saying I'm definitely the only human that does it grin. Let me show them that we're now two.

lmao...your own got me laughing out loud here. I think yours is worst...hahahaha.
I stylishly smell the plate too, then I also blow my straw - in case there are baby cockroaches inside...lol

My dear the fear of cockraoches is the begining of wisdom. I have countless stories to tell you on why I hate them but let me spare you the details.
Any roach I find in my kitchen deserves a medal for it to have escaped me.

1 Like

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Tallesty1(m): 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
How clean is your nose?
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hahhahahahahahhahaaha cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Can't stop laughing I swear cheesy cheesy

Sorry Bae am not laughing @u seriously tongue tongue tongue angry angry but I can't help it grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Back to topic wink wink. Nne you are not alone oooo! Actually I have someone that does that alot, am surprised to see someone else with that habit I swear cheesy. That's my elder Sis sad sad sad I actually told her one day that if She's a little girl,I will keep spanking her and I got a heavy slap that day angry angry cry Up till today I don't know her reasons undecided undecided undecided

But Seriously cockroach sabi smell eeh undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by chibwike(m): 8:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

hahaha...I carry to work o, but what about weddings? Wouldn't it be weirder that I bring out spoons from my clutch like one kiddie in boarding house? Hahahaha

Everyone keeps saying it's weird, how exactly is it weird? It's precautionary motive na embarassed

thank you ma
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by naijaboiy: 8:34pm On Oct 15, 2014
Mehn no time o cheesy

I pounce on the food and eat especially when owu don hook man for long time grin

But it disgusts me when someone licks a spoon while eating food like custard,pap or garri undecided

I Hate it Like Hell angry

1 Like

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Priceless24(f): 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

You can be stealthy when bringing it out so people don't notice, at least when you're not with family, your family should be used to it by now, or you can curb how you and what you eat outside. For e.g instead of eating foods like rice and others that require cutlery, if you absolutely have to eat at occasions then eat stuff you can eat with your hands like chicken and small chops.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 8:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lol me I don't smell anything ooo, I only make sure I rinse it with water.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Priceless24(f): 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Lmao, I blow my straws too, and i try to scan each spoon of food just in case.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by naijaboiy: 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
priscaoge:
Lol me I don't smell anything ooo, I only make sure I rinse it with water.
You and kachi are using my font too embarassed
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
Tallesty1:
How clean is your nose?
hahahaha...Tallesty af kill me...
I have a very sensitive nose, I don't even have to bring it that close to pick out any smell

@priceless24: seems you know me personally from your comment o, I love swallow a lot, so these days i go for swallow @occassions,except it's unavailable or I don't fancy the available soup

@priscaoge: it's okay for you to laugh @me cry

I no wan laugh abeg @naijaboy, I hate that licking of spoons too. You carry the font come from ya village ba? Hahahaha
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Rapsainot(m): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Just learn how to smell them stylishly. You can later be an expert in it.

What am I saying?
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by lalasticlala(m): 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
babe at last u created a thread. nice one and nice Dp.

As 4 ur question, no I don't do that.
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by naijaboiy: 9:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

I no wan laugh abeg @naijaboy, I hate that licking of spoons too. You carry the font come from ya village ba? Hahahaha

Licking and biting of spoons piss me off angry

About the font,,its just that I'm so used to it and it's Like one of my TradeMarks on NL.
So when I see another person using it,,i feel like i'm being copied embarassed lol

Though i'm not the first to use it so it's not something serious smiley
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 9:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
naijaboiy:

You and kachi are using my font too embarassed

grin grin grin grin Shey na naijaboiy font ni grin
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
lalasticlala:
babe at last u created a thread. nice one and nice Dp.

As 4 ur question, no I don't do that.

Yes I did Sir...lol
I hope you gonna change the group I belong to now. Thanks @dp

I wonder what you're saying o @Rapsainot
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 10:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
@kachisbarbie ayamu not lafin @u mbok grin grin grin.

I forgot to congratulate u embarassed....Here is my congratulatory msg embarassed *Grabs Mic,clears throat*

I, Priscaoge a.k.a Creamberry heartily congratulate kachisbarbie on her Newly created thread here on nairaland! I pray that God will continue to touch your heart,mind,soul and body to always create threads. I will not forget to congratulate and personally thank unibenstudent and chibwike for teaching u how to create a thread. Because I know that u dont even know where the "create a new thread" feature is ever since u joined this forum. I can now beat my chest and say,"Yes Kachi is now a full member of this forum!

*drops mic*

2 Likes

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by dmjinc(m): 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
priscaoge:
@kachisbarbie ayamu not lafin @u mbok grin grin grin.

I forgot to congratulate u embarassed....Here is my congratulatory msg embarassed *Grabs Mic,clears throat*

I, Priscaoge a.k.a Creamberry heartily congratulate kachisbarbie on her Newly created thread here on nairaland! I pray that God will continue to touch your heart,mind,soul and body to always create threads. I will not forget to congratulate and personally thank unibenstudent and chibwike for teaching u how to create a thread. Because I know that u dont even know where the "create a new thread" feature is ever since u joined this forum. I can now beat my chest and say,"Yes Kachi is now a full member of this forum!

*drops mic*

lolll
Now ya blowing it outta proportion and making me shy,i dedicated it to Chibwike for taking out his time to explain to me how this works...and you - for steadily reminding me to do this.
You guys rock #NoLiez kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 11:44pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

lolll
Now ya blowing it outta proportion and making me shy,i dedicated it to Chibwike for taking out his time to explain to me how this works...and you - for steadily reminding me to do this.
You guys rock #NoLiez kiss

Now am shy embarassed embarassed embarassed

Still waiting for more threads from u grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by priscaoge(f): 11:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
dmjinc:

Brother do u smell ur cutlery before eating Or not and u are busy booking space cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Smelling of Cutleries A Bad Table Manner? by Baddestguyp(m): 11:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
I don't do that I rinse my dishes and cutlery before eating, simple

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is AMALA Now A Bad Food? / How To Prepare Amala With Abula / Affordable Cooking: The Current Price Of Refilling A 12.5kg LPG Cylinder Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.