Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Siasia Returns As U23 Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Returns As U23 Coach (1915 Views)

Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015 / Nigeria Vs Egypt: African U23 Championship 2 - 2 On 2nd December. 2015 / Nigeria Vs Mali. African U23 Championship (3 - 2) On 29th November 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 8:27am On Oct 16, 2014
Sampson Siasia has been appointed as the Head Coach of Nigeria U-23 Men’s Team.

Many had previously predicted that Siasia will be brought in as replacement for axed Stephen Keshi but the Bayelsa-born Coach was conspicuously missing in the list of consortium of coaches selected to temporarily thinker the national team for the next two Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Congo in Brazzaville and against South Africa in Uyo

As stated by the NFF executive committee, Siasia will be assisted by Fatai Amoo, while the Technical and Development will recommmend other members of the technical crew.

Indeed Siasia is returning to a familiar terrain having led Nigeria to the final of the Beijing 2008 Olympics where his team lost gold to Argentina.
Siasia will hope he can first qualify Nigeria for the Rio 2016 Olympics before setting his eyes on going for gold in Brazil.
Nigeria failed to qualify for the London 2012 Olympics under coach Augustine Eguavoen.

source: http://.com/siasia-returns-as-u23-coach

Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 8:29am On Oct 16, 2014
its time for wow football
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by davdandam(m): 8:40am On Oct 16, 2014
Tnk God, finally someone with brains. ...I suspect he's expected to build new players that'll make up the new national team when he's appointed as coach in 2016.
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 8:41am On Oct 16, 2014
guys what do think of this...........
to nigerian football
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 8:41am On Oct 16, 2014
which players will you recommmend for u23
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 16, 2014
Majority of the lads that won the FIFA U17 world cup for Nigerian last time should be brought in. Also some good local boys should be included. I trust Siaisia will do well and becone Suoer Eagles coach in 2017.

1 Like

Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Bigloaf: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2014
this is a very good development.
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 16, 2014
Siasia would have written his name twice in the sand of time if it were not for that little dare devil who denied him gold twice.first,in holland 2005 and olympics,2008..he will never forget lionel messi in a hurry...i wish him success with the U-23 side...
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 1:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
Daninya1:
Siasia would have written his name twice in the sand of time if it were not for that little dare devil who denied him gold twice.first,in holland 2005 and olympics,2008..he will never forget lionel messi in a hurry...i wish him success with the U-23 side...

this time thier will be no match cos
iheanacho will not have a rival
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2014
Sia one profile:
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 4:54pm On Oct 16, 2014
Samson Siasia
In 2005, Samson Siasia coached the under 20 team (Flying Eagles), taking them to the finals of both the 2005 Under-20 World Cup and the U-20 African Youth Championship. He won the African Youth Championship and advanced all the way to the world final – before losing to Argentina 2–1. He also assisted Augustine Eguavoen in coaching the national team.

Samson Siasia was appointed national U-23 coach on January 2007. In 2008, he coached the Nigerian Under-23 Olympic squad to the final against Argentina. In a superbly played series of matches, Nigeria's team earned the Olympic Silver Medals. Earlier in 2008, the U-23 team won the inaugural Intercontinental Cup in Malaysia. This fine team was composed entirely of domestic Nigerian players and won the Cup against many teams headed for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.

In addition to his position as head coach of the Under 23 Olympic Eagles, he developed a youth academy in the capital city Abuja, called SiaOne Soccer Academy. On 17 March 2009, he was reappointed as the head coach of the under-20 team after the finished a disappointing 3rd in the 2009 African Youth Championship. He received a six-month contract to coach Heartland F.C. in July 2010.[4] On 4 November 2010, he was named as the national team coach to succeed Swedish Lars Lagerbäck. He was fired on 28 October 2011 for failing to take the Nigeria team to the 2012 African Nations Cup in Gabon & Equatorial Guinea
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2014
robosky02:

i concur
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2014
Daninya1:

i concur

of course it cant be less
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Yello1(m): 9:25am On Oct 18, 2014
uhmmmm,just like big boss,he dey stubborn too,naija dey always rotate coach jawe small time keshi go stil come back
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 2:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
Yello1:
uhmmmm,just like big boss,he dey stubborn too,naija dey always rotate coach jawe small time keshi go stil come back

am sure he has learned his lesson
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 3:04pm On Oct 18, 2014
Siasia promises to produce the next Eagles:

Newly confirmed U-23 Nigeria national coach, Samson Siasia has told that his mission in this his second stint, as the national U-23 team coach is to produce players for the Super Eagles.
“I am deeply honoured that the Nigeria Football Federation believes I can do this job and I want to thank them,” Siasia told in Abuja.
“I am familiar with the task ahead but I am better prepared for it,” he added.
Siasia was at the helm of the team that went all the way at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and lost narrowly 1-0 to a Lionel Messi-inspired Argentina team.
“The main work for the U-23 setup is to get players ready to transit into the main national team by getting them ready. There will be players that will be discovered in the next two years that should help the Eagles at the next World Cup in Russia.
“Even though, my personal ambition is that Nigeria becomes stronger again on the African continent and in the world as we have too many talents to be struggling as we are doing presently.”
He also said his job has started though he refused to comment on the dismissal of Stephen Keshi, who took over from him in 2011 as the Eagles coach.
“It is not in my position to comment on what position the NFF has taken concerning ‘Skippo’ [Stephen Keshi] but they must believe that what they have done is in the interest of the country.
“The main thing in life is that there will always be ups and downs. The measure of men is how they react to down situations. Keshi is a great coach, who won the Nations Cup – he will always be great,” he concluded.
Rumours circulating before Keshi was sacked on Thursday had indicated that Siasia could be given the job but he has now been saddled with getting the U-23 to the Brazil 2016 Olympics and getting the top prize. He will be assisted by Fatai Amoo
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 1:02pm On Oct 21, 2014
players from the Nigeria Professional Football League would form the base of siasia team:

New coach of the U23 team, Samson Siasia has said that players from the Nigeria Professional Football League would form the base of his team for the qualifying series for both the All African Games and the Olympic Games.

The trainer said that in as much as he has absolute trust in the availability of football talents in the country, he was also mindful of the fact that the AAG and 2016 Olympics qualifying series are not FIFA-listed tournaments.

He stated that in other to get the right kind of players to be invited for screening, he had contacted all the coaches of the various clubs in the premier league to give him names of very good players in their clubs.

"I have to start an early preparation so that we can pick the best players through elimination by substitution so that we can begin blending of the team before the qualifiers which is billed to commence in February 2015," Siasia disclosed.

Meanwhile, the former Super Eagles coach maintained that he is not shutting the door on the foreign-based players as they would be joining the team at a later date when they would be ready to go for the major championship.

"The foreign based players, especially some of them in the Super Eagles camp who are still within the age limit, would still make the team but that would be at very crucial point or when we must have qualified.

“The problem is that our competition is not under FIFA, so securing their release would be very difficult. But we are sure to get them when we eventually qualify," Siasia told SportingLife.

This is Siasia’s second stint in charge of the U23s. He led the team to winning silver at the Beijing Olympics Games
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Goke7: 1:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
robosky02:

this iheanacho no go die for our hand o, today na u-20, tommorrow na super eagle, now its u-23 na wa o, we dey look sha
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 2:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
Goke7:

this iheanacho no go die for our hand o, today na u-20, tommorrow na super eagle, now its u-23 na wa o, we dey look sha

the projection is brazil 2016 olympics
not just today

in fact he should be allowed to gradually graduate

u20 nex year 2015
u23 2016
then we can think of the world cup 2018
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
Top six foreign players to make the u-23

1.Kenny Otigba
2.Leon Balogun
3.Hope Akpan
4.Nedum Onuoha
5.Imoh Ezekiel
6.Kelechi Iheanacho

Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 4:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
i think this set u-23 both home based and pros will be better than the mikel set
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by Smooyis(m): 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
Congratulations sir. Make sure you carry God along. Good luck!
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
Smooyis:
Congratulations sir. Make sure you carry God along. Good luck!

yes all the way
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by watchindelta(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
siaone my boi. pray u succeed
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 9:10am On Oct 22, 2014
watchindelta:
siaone my boi. pray u succeed

na your oga
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by watchindelta(m): 9:26am On Oct 22, 2014
robosky02:

na your oga
no na my small boi back in the hood them
Re: Siasia Returns As U23 Coach by robosky02(m): 2:13pm On Dec 15, 2015
about a year ago we did this and having qualified for the olympics

the world will see the best of Nigerian football...........

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Fans, Caption This Photo Of Henry And Messi In The Emirates Stadium. / Liverpool Defender Alberto Moreno Says Signing Robertson Gave Him More Stress / I Don't Think Barcelona Will Ever Play In The Premier League- Arsene Wenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.