Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,412 members, 7,800,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? (5277 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? / Conditions That Can Make Me Reconvert To Christianity And Belief In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
I just want to know......do theists feel captivated by the chaotic beauty of the stars or the beauty in birth.....or does a "god-did-it" glass filter this sense of wonder and inquiry? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Elkewwty(f): 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
Who could have created the universe if not God? your dad angry undecided
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Infomizer(m): 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2014
Oh lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, consider all, the works thy hands have made...My point? The composer of this song is one theist that felt it.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Elkewwty:
I guess the op is tired of gullible people like you that's why he asked the question as topic and you still came on here to show how shallow your mind is or do I say narrower than the fake righteous path in which you believe.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
Op here's is my dumb contribution to the religious freak and wise to the freethinkers,Religion did none but brought about division and like you rightly wrote 'kill the sense of wonder' I really don't blame the religious freak because its what they grew up to and I regret even going hard on that lady above but its annoying sometimes when you can't rationalized to the truth,THINK about this----before henry townsend introduced christianity to nigeria prior to colonization,didn't our forefathers have their way of doing things and if God existed,he would be universal and there wouldn't be no belief system called religion,What if they told you jonathan is your president and you never saw him,would you believe there is anything called president.

5 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Tallesty1(m): 8:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
aaronson:
Op here's is my dumb contribution to the religious freak and wise to the freethinkers,Religion did none but brought about division and like you rightly wrote 'kill the sense of wonder' I really don't blame the religious freak because its what they grew up to and I regret even going hard on that lady above but its annoying sometimes when you can't rationalized to the truth,THINK about this----before henry townsend introduced christianity to nigeria prior to colonization,didn't our forefathers have their way of doing things and if God existed,he would be universal and there wouldn't be no belief system called religion,What if they told you jonathan is your president and you never saw him,would you believe there is anything called president.
Some people haven't and will never see Jonathan.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
hahahaahahhahahahahahhaha bros you funny sha

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Tallesty1(m): 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2014
aaronson:
hahahaahahhahahahahahhaha bros you funny sha
My comment has nothing to do with the topic here.

I'm just stating a fact.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:
My comment has nothing to do with the topic here.

I'm just stating a fact.
You good man.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by chidekings(m): 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2014
Tallesty1:

people like u and me
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Tallesty1(m): 9:05pm On Oct 16, 2014
chidekings:

people like u and me
Hahaha.

I have seen him twice already.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by pesty100(m): 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
Elkewwty:
my dad would have done a better job
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by mesoade(m): 10:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
aaronson:
if he doesnt exist,how then do you explain miracles?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 7:50am On Oct 17, 2014
mesoade:
actually you are the one who believes in miracles....therefore you should give us proof of it.... tongue

3 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by pesty100(m): 8:54am On Oct 17, 2014
mesoade:
don't shift the burden of proof
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 17, 2014
Yeah sort of.....cus sum people tend to ova do d god tin
But God is alwayz ahead so.....
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by mesoade(m): 11:31am On Oct 17, 2014
davien:
actually you are the one who believes in miracles....therefore you should give us proof of it.... tongue
explaining christ to an atheist lol! Only divine intervention can make you change. . . U know,there ar 1001 proofs dat God doesnt exist against d 10 proofs dat he does . .but still,i can feel his presence.u just nid divine intervention.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 11:41am On Oct 17, 2014
mesoade:
explaining christ to an atheist lol! Only divine intervention can make you change. . . U know,there ar 1001 proofs dat God doesnt exist against d 10 proofs dat he does . .but still,i can feel his presence.u just nid divine intervention.
so you are saying you believe that it would allegedly purposely make 1001 proofs against itself then condemn people who do follow the evidence for eternity?!
including your kindred that never "heard the word" and were "never saved"? undecided doesn't sound so loving does it? undecided

And if truly it is about "divine intervention" why aren't we all born with this?.... or is it good to let people freely follow their own intuition and then punish them for it?.... or rather design a car that can drive itself anywhere and then expect it to drive you home? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Liekiller(f): 1:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
I would agree that it kills the sense of wonder and inquiry. Most of all the sense of inquiry. The religious system strongly discourages an inquisitive mind. Asking questions could reduce blind faith... As for the sense of wonder: people brainwashed into obsessing about sin and hellfire won't be the ones looking at the world around them lovingly and with a sense of awe. Take their fear of evolution for example. If they looked at this open-mindedly they would be amazed and stunned. Instead, they are not allowed to do so. They must believe a mind-bogglingly foolish incest story instead.

3 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by hungryboy(m): 1:58pm On Oct 17, 2014
you are on point Op,
religion not only kills your sense of wonder,
it kills your sense of rationality and common sense
imagine the bible saying that god sent his son to die for our sins,
and later on the same bible tells us of how Jesus was resurrected and taken to heaven,
looking at this scenario, you will realise that Jesus didn't die for no one's sin, it was a charade orchestrated by his dad (God) in heaven, who wanted us to believe that he sacrificed his son for our sins,
has a sacrifice ever been resurected?

4 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
davien:
I just want to know......do theists feel captivated by the chaotic beauty of the stars or the beauty in birth.....or does a "god-did-it" glass filter this sense of wonder and inquiry? undecided

one of the mods stupidly banned me once for pointing out the leadg nature of ur questions. Now ur askg yet anoda leadg q!
"god-did-it" glass filter.

Y not say wat u want to say instead of couch ur bias as a question?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 2:58pm On Oct 17, 2014
hungryboy:
you are on point Op,
religion not only kills your sense of wonder,
it kills your sense of rationality and common sense
imagine the bible saying that god sent his son to die for our sins,
and later on the same bible tells us of how Jesus was resurrected and taken to heaven,
looking at this scenario, you will realise that Jesus didn't die for no one's sin, it was a charade orchestrated by his dad (God) in heaven, who wanted us to believe that he sacrificed his son for our sins,
has a sacrifice ever been resurected?
atheism fries ur brain. So that u actively resist d truth even though it's glaring.
Even History recognises tht Jesus lived on earth. The roman style of execution-crucifixion was real.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

one of the mods stupidly banned me once for pointing out the leadg nature of ur questions. Now ur askg yet anoda leadg q!
"god-did-it" glass filter.

Y not say wat u want to say instead of couch ur bias as a question?

asalimpo please stick with the topic to avoid being banned.....
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 3:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

atheism fries ur brain. So that u actively resist d truth even though it's glaring.
Even History recognises tht Jesus lived on earth. The roman style of execution-crucifixion was real.
its glaring and yet your religion has over 41,000 of which most are contradictory sub-denominations..... undecided
and a good fiction is atleast based on something factual.....saying method of crucifixion is real therefore an unrecorded man of rumoured jewish "father/son/god" character is real is more like saying spiderman is real because New york,Manhattan is real tongue

History recognized no one called "jesus" ....that is why "jesus" is told as a mythology....not history and we talk about the "stories of the jesus in the bible" not the history and biography of "jesus" cheesy

And how can logical thought fry your brain against an unvalidated belief in flying dragons....wizards....giants....incest....witches talking snakes....donkeys and a floating zoo? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2014
davien:
how did d universe u see come about?
By ur wise thinking how was earth made?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

how did u universe u see come about?
[b] The scientific theory based on the isotropy of the cosmos....the distribution of the elements....red shift galaxies...the curvature of space-time around mass.... etc....with mathematical basis shows the universe emerged from a super dense singularity.... of which existed in an inconceivably minute dimensional plane...
I know none of the above makes sense to you.....because you don't pay attention to anything scientific but like the hypocrite you are you use the knowledge laid down by the scientific method....
And the earth was made like all planets from the accretion disk of the parent star.... or rather the gravity of a star as it forms acts on the surrounding debris that made the star and pulls the molten rocks into a spherical body(again gravity is involved in this).....dense metals like iron sink to become the core.....
I would stop there because i do not have a consensus to speak on this scientific field accurately....talk to an astronomer.....
i could continue but again it is doubting you can understand any of this.... undecided [/b]

At best all what i've said are the scientific well substantiated theories that are falsify-able....and based on reality.... as compared to mythical unvalidated ridiculous bronze age tales undecided

5 Likes

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
Space time curvature, singularity .
If u can't say it in a way a layman can understand you're simply bluffing.
Mathemaics proves a bumblebee is incapable of flight! Is it right?

Answer the basic q's and stop bluffg.
How did life strt,
how did earth come to be?
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by pesty100(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

How did life strt,

the bumblebee's flight doesn't violate the laws of physics

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bumblebee_argument

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

how did d universe u see come about?
planet earth is in its steady state,you came just to live here and one day you gonna die off here and return back to the soil of the same planet learn about Atmosphere-the air you breathe,Biosphere-your Life,lithosphere-the ground that produces the food you eat and where you would be buried for more manure to the earth and hydroshere-the water you drink,where did that niqqa called God comes in?

1 Like

Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by davien(m): 5:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:

How did life strt,

asalimpo please investigate your sources before coming to spew long debunked myths.....
the myth that mathematics disproved bumblebee flight was an error done by a single aerodynamicists which his peers told him to correct but soon the story caught flight.....after examining the wing under a microscope he recognized his folly... science is a self-correcting process cheesy

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg/nature/nw02/0325Insect_Flight_Myths.htm
[b]
how life started is a mystery....
a testable hypothesis like abiogenesis demonstrates that the building blocks of life can be obtained by purely physical processes in the environment of the early earth....

The earth formed from the accretion disk of the sun(again i'm repeating this)....these are orbiting debris of the suns formation' and are clumped together by gravity until heavier elements like iron and nickel( if you can still remember NIFE for nickel and iron being the constituents of the core in your early geography class cheesy ) sank to the bottom....while the less dense silicates floated to the surface in a process called planetary differentiation....after the meteoric bombardment ceased(that-is after meteor impacts)....the earth cooled and the gases that were trapped within the crust were released forming the atmosphere.....the core still hot and active from the formation of the planet created the earths magnetic field.....though having an atmosphere the water content of the earth would have been half the amount it is today....the rest or remaining half of the earths' water supply most likely arrived by comets and this is supported by the correlation of deuterium(an isotope of hydrogen) and protium(another isotope of hydrogen) alongside the abundance of water in comets....

Before explaining space-time curvature you should understand that space is a phenomenon that permits objects to be presented in a 3-dimensional plane relative to time....anything that has a substantial amount of mass....curves space....and light...revealing the specific geometry of the universe to be flat(this is not the only proof of space-time curvature nor understood this superfluously but the easiest verbal way to grasp)...

A singularity is what i am vastly unqualified to talk on....although it is best understood as a phenomenon that occurs when matter is too compact or dense....but as the case of the expanding universe.....all the matter and energy were once compact enough to be termed as one....
talk to a qualified astronomer and oceanographer because i've overstepped several fields here....lol! [/b]

again all of this were deduced by careful study and calculations……

http://www.indiana.edu/~geol105/1425chap3.htm

[url] http://www.superstringtheory.com/cosmo/cosmo21.html [/url]
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by asalimpo(m): 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2014
Earth formed from the acretion disc of the sun.
You were not there yet believe it.
Therefore the earth and life is all physcal.
The conditions can be recreated today, with modern tech,so y can't science re-create physcal life?

I'm a jjc wen it comes to science so i wouldnt b able to venture into deep debate. Notwithstandg the truth is simple. Science cannot present a coherent logical answer about the origin of the earth or life - it's all conjecture and heavily debated in d scientific community.

The bible is clear about how earth came to be.
A Being of infinite intelligence created it. Period.
It some places it gives some details. Like the present earth was re-created. Meaning the first one was destroyed - wen? During the war that ousted lucifer out of heaven.
Again, the bible doesnt go into details at all - just a hint.

Mathematics is based on truth, physics uses mathematical tools.
But the bible is based on truth also, but it shows that truths have scopes . E.g jesus walked on water,
impossible physically , but it happened. Y? Because, physcal truth was subjugated by a higher power.
Jesus rose to heaven,physcally, impossible physcally, the force of gravity shudve kept him earth bound. But no, it couldnt, physcal truth was subjugated.
Over and over , the bible shows tht physcal truths and laws can b over-ridden.
You atheists mock at it and call it myth! But the truth is it's you guyz and science that is deficient and bankrupt . Having some catching up to do.
Re: Does The Belief In God Kill The Sense Of Wonder In The Universe? by Liekiller(f): 9:43pm On Oct 17, 2014
asalimpo:
Earth formed from the acretion disc of the sun.
You were not there yet believe it.
Therefore the earth and life is all physcal.
The conditions can be recreated today, with modern tech,so y can't science re-create physcal life?

I'm a jjc wen it comes to science so i wouldnt b able to venture into deep debate. Notwithstandg the truth is simple. Science cannot present a coherent logical answer about the origin of the earth or life - it's all conjecture and heavily debated in d scientific community.

The bible is clear about how earth came to be.
A Being of infinite intelligence created it. Period.
It some places it gives some details. Like the present earth was re-created. Meaning the first one was destroyed - wen? During the war that ousted lucifer out of heaven.
Again, the bible doesnt go into details at all - just a hint.

Mathematics is based on truth, physics uses mathematical tools.
But the bible is based on truth also, but it shows that truths have scopes . E.g jesus walked on water,
impossible physically , but it happened. Y? Because, physcal truth was subjugated by a higher power.
Jesus rose to heaven,physcally, impossible physcally, the force of gravity shudve kept him earth bound. But no, it couldnt, physcal truth was subjugated.
Over and over , the bible shows tht physcal truths and laws can b over-ridden.
You atheists mock at it and call it myth! But the truth is it's you guyz and science that is deficient and bankrupt . Having some catching up to do.

so you believe that something is the "truth" because it is written in some random 2000 year old book that was written by bronze age desert dwellers as a sort of law book to organize their prehistoric society? Why exactly has this become your absolute truth, among the thousands of "absolute truths" you could have chosen from? Is it not because the colonial masters forced it upon our forefathers with much violence, and destroyed our culture by doing so? And why is it only that particular book you accept to contain the absolute "truth" now? Why is it that you are so brainwashed and blind now that you are unable to ask critical questions? What makes you think that the level of knowledge and understanding they had in the bronze age should still be applicable today?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We {muslim} Love Jesus More Than You / How Come Atheists Are Celebrating Christmas? / You Can't Lose Your Salvation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.