Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) (8402 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Steps Out Again With His 4 Wives (photos). / How Bode George, Agbaje Rigged Primary, Obanikoro Tells Court / How Bode George Planned To Celebrate With 5 Cows, 4 Aso-ebi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 20, 2014
Hello house,

I just saw a publication: Our Daily Manna written by Pastor Chris Kwakpovwe (October - December 2014 edition. Page 94)

It narrated how the legal icon died.

According to the narration, Bode Thomas was "an excellent but arrogant lawyer."

Many years ago, he was appointed chairman of the Oyo divisional Council then with many prominent people as members including the former Alaafin of Oyo (Oba Adeyemi).

During the first appearance in council, as Chief Bode Thomas entered, everyone stood up in deference hailing him, except the former Alaafin. It is common knowledge that the king should not publicly show overt respect to anybody, including his mother!

Bode arrogantly challenged him and there was strong verbal exchange as the King felt very insulted.
Noteworthy was is that Bode was 34 whilst the king was in his 60's. The Alaafin said he was barking at him and would continue like that.

Chief was said to have continued barking when he got home till he died in the early hours of the next morning. November 23, 1953.

A panel was set-up and the King was "deposed."
The deposed king was said to have gotten angry and placed a curse (soroye) on Awolowo. That he would be almost there but never really there.

The piece even alluded, using history, that that's why Awolowo was "the best president Nigeria never had."
The deposed king later went into hiding.

Caveat: I am not promoting the book or am I his fan. Just disclosing evidence. His point however was to be careful with words. He then went on with the regular pious intent.

How many people have heard this tale or believe it is true. I was surprised when i read it. Could this have really happened? A popular street in Surulere, Lagos is named after Chief Bode Thomas. Just wondering......
Re: How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) by brownlord: 7:11pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ok
Re: How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) by delpee(f): 10:30pm On Oct 20, 2014
That's the story I heard from older people years ago. I don't know for sure that its true.

I wish that History is reintroduced as a compulsory subject for some years in our schools. The younger generation will benefit from it.

1 Like

Re: How Bode Thomas Died (former Alaafin Called Out) by superfour(m): 10:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
That's the story. Google it you see how it happen.

(1) (Reply)

National Assembly Moves To Amend CBN Act / 2019: Plot To Hack INEC Database, Fear Heightens / Aisha Dikko: No Plan To Withdraw Charges Against El-zakzaky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.