Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials (12276 Views)

8 weeks Exclusive Pattern Drafting Class Begins.(Valisimo Fashion School) / Fashion Books On Pattern Drafting Plus Sewing Technics (valisimo Fashion School) / Omotola Jalade’s Outfit To Lagos Fashion & Design Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 9:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
So I know a little about pattern drafting and want to share my knowledge with some people. I also want to learn from more experienced people. Depending on the number of people that show interest, we'll begin. It's not an easy task so don't want to waste my time I barely have. Would also plead for patience when we begin cos my job is pretty tasking but will try my best to update as often as I can.

So if you're interested signify by raising your hand. Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by goforwardagu: 7:38am On Oct 22, 2014
hands raised grin
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by ucheody: 8:43am On Oct 22, 2014
Mee!

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by stunning4real: 9:26am On Oct 22, 2014
hands up

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by Thorerah(f): 9:42am On Oct 22, 2014
I'm interested smiley

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by khoray(f): 10:31am On Oct 22, 2014
interested
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by juliesure: 11:01am On Oct 22, 2014
Interested
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by lizzydamsel: 11:09am On Oct 22, 2014
Present ma
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 12:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
OK, we have quite a crowd. cheesy good stuff. So before we start I will let you know what materials we need.

1. Pencil/ eraser
2. Brown paper ( about #200 for a dozen)
3.ruler ( transparent)
4. Long ruler (also called tailor's ruler)
4. T square ( optional)
5. French curve (#200 for the set). For drawing curved lines like the armhole
6. Measuring tape

Long list, but the things are cheap, promise. Brown paper is good for beginners so you can clearly see what you are doing. Later on you can switch to a cheaper option. Some people use newspapers pinned together.

These materials can be gotten at your local bookshop. So lemme know when you are set.

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by goforwardagu: 3:05pm On Oct 22, 2014
ready as soon as you are smiley
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by nobledeals(f): 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
following
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by ladyju(f): 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2014
Following
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by Godmother(f): 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
Two hands and legs raised. Ride on OP.
Following*
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by Annie09: 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2014
Following
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by leemarhsparkz(f): 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2014
i dont mind sharing my designs here...m still here to learn tho'....plz start d tutorial oooo

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by oluwawunmi(f): 11:06pm On Oct 22, 2014
me too
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by sheroliciouz: 8:48am On Oct 23, 2014
Peach Couture has got you!
Peach Couture is specialized in African and English wear,
uniforms, bridals, suits for women and
kids Styles that exude glamour and designed.
Peach Couture is unparalleled when it
comes to professional skill and
innovation. We pay much attention to
details and perfect finishing in other to
make you stand out!
Address: H Shopping complex , Galilee
Olodo, Ibadan,Oyo state

BBM: 22B8C55A
Call 08075252560
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by evesogodo: 3:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
Present anty
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 8:55pm On Oct 23, 2014
So we start by taking measurements. So will list out the measurements we need to draft our first pattern which is a simple straight skirt.
1.) Waist _____+2inches SA+2inch ease=______divide by 4 =A_____ inches

2.) Hips _______+2inch SA+2inch ease=______ divide by 4 = B_______inches

3.) Waist to hips _____+____ at waist =C_____inches

4.) Desired length____+1inch hem + _____ SA at waist = D________ inches

Note*** SA refers to seam allowance, half inch for each seam
* ease provides breathing room

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
Lemme know if there's any confusion or if I should go ahead
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by tapingil(m): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
The number3 on ur list, try to explain more.. It wud be best if u added a diagram u know this is intro 101...for beginers and some taking this as refresher course

2 Likes

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by debola23(f): 1:57am On Oct 24, 2014
Oh my God class has started. I am following tokan tokan
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 5:26am On Oct 24, 2014
tapingil:
The number3 on ur list, try to explain more.. It wud be best if u added a diagram u know this is intro 101...for beginers and some taking this as refresher course

Your waist is the smallest part of your body, while your hip the the largest
To get the waist easily tie a string around your middle and see where it hits you most snugly (usually around your navel) then take that measurement. That is your original waist.
However people alter this (like they did for the model in the picture attached) because they usually don't want their skirts beginning from that point. So you can alter it to where you want your skirt to begin.
The original waist is still very important as this is what we will use to draft our bodice and dress patterns. So make sure you get both the original and the one for the purpose of this skirt drafting ( if you don't want to use the original waist point)

Your waist to hip measurement is the distance between the last two lines in the pic. That is, where you took your waist measurement to where the hip (fullest part of your body) begins.

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 6:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
For example, my waist is 32 inches, I will add 2 inch sewing allowance and 2 inch ease (you can add more or less). This will give me a total of 36inches which i'll divide by 4 to get 9 inches.

Do the same for the hip measurement.

Then take the waist to hip measurement, mine is 8 inches, I will add the same sewing allowance I used at the waist to this to give me 10 inches. This is the measurement we'll use here.

Take the length you want your skirt to be, mine is 30 inches, I'll add 1 inch for the hem and the 2 inches we took from the waist to make the final measurement, 33inches.

Any other questions?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by noncy21: 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2014
Interested ma. Just came across dis thread
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by classic01(f): 12:28am On Oct 27, 2014
I'm in ooooooo grin
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by noncy21: 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2014
@OP...ur students are waiting. hop all is well? Take care ma
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 11:38am On Oct 28, 2014
Lol noncy21 everything is fine o. was waiting for you guys to tell me to proceed na cheesy. Am at work now, will update by evening. Thanks for checking wink
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by noncy21: 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
AmenJoan:
Lol noncy21 everything is fine o. was waiting for you guys to tell me to proceed na cheesy. Am at work now, will update by evening. Thanks for checking wink
ok ma. Weldone ooo
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 7:24pm On Oct 28, 2014
So on to stage 2. Get out your brown paper, ruler, curve, and biro.

A few notes before I start the process. In pattern drafting, we usually draft the front and back differently especially for the bodice. But for skirts it's possible that the back and front are the same.
So when drafting we usually draft half of what we intend to make.
For example we want to make a skirt, we are drafting the front of the skirt which we may later use to cut the back. But we draft half of the front of the skirt, then place on a fold of fabric to get the full front. This is because we want to get exactly the measurements for the left and right sides of the skirt front.

You'll understand this better as we go ahead, for now just concentrate on the steps.
Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 7:44pm On Oct 28, 2014
Lemme demonstrate with a rough sketch before I show you the one I did.
On the top left of your brown paper, mark a spot for the waistline,(this is marked 1 in my rough sketch). Draw a straight line to the right.

Mark half an inch or 1 inch above that first mark to plot the waistline curve (marked 2 in my sketch)

Mark the distance from waist to hip (marked 3 in my sketch)

Measure your desired length and mark it (marked 4 in my sketch)

1 Like

Re: Pattern Drafting for fashion design- Tutorials by AmenJoan(f): 7:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
Next

From Mark 2, place a ruler perpendicular to the fold and mark waistline width A (remember your waist measurement divided by 4, this was part of our measurements at the beginning)

From Mark 3, place a ruler perpendicular to the fold and mark hip width B

Mark the desired length D.

***all measurements are taken from the top of the skirt, i.e where the waist begins

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup / Become A Good Tailor In 3months. Is It Possble / ........... WIGs ......................

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.