Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? (25277 Views)

Why Today's Women Should Marry Before Age 25! / 30 Rules For A Woman To Have Successful Marriage / Danger Zones You should Not Cross To Have successful Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Emmalot121(m): 8:40pm On Oct 22, 2014
skydeep:
I chose women as the subject because they are the pillar of the house. Shaky pillars is a warning to a catastrophic occurrence of a building. Today's women are really focused on their careers more than their families . An instance is the trend, or can I say the norm of celebrities especially the women having failed marriages. Does that mean our women have lost the motherhood qualities? They embrace their careers so much that it almost choke. Where is the love for the family?

I have a friend who was filing for divorce just because her husband asked her to quit her job and concentrate on building the joy back to their family.
There are things we just have to compromise for the sake of the future of our children.

The solutions are extended family and polygamy. Women expectially in the west(muslims) are tapping into the immense freedom these two give. Just imagine you giving birth to a child and after weaning, there are already five people willing to care for the child. You can travel for months because your husband does not depend on your wifely duties. Think about it and give me your reply. Carefreewannabe, cococandy, what's your take? These are simply few of our lost african treasures, which we are consequently feeling the effects. These are the cheap ways to female freedom, which is easily available to you, yet you pay for it under feminism.
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by daey118(m): 8:43pm On Oct 22, 2014
chaircover:

. . . and women running successful charities and volunteer all over the place
Some women are out there in Syria and Liberia just handing out food and medical supplies. They dont even get paid for it
Pastors wives nko?
Are they career women? grin
Pastors wives are ministry women grin #IGuess

1 Like

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 22, 2014
A
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by barnaby04(m): 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2014
To me, lagos is a very crazy place for a woman to maintain her career and still keep her home intact considering the crazy chaotic traffic that makes you leave home by 6.am and return back late in the evenings.

Whenever I see women stuck in lagos traffic, I do pity them a lot because first and foremost, as a wife and mother, she needs to be there to take care of the children and tend to their needs and also for her husband.

A woman that usually returns home late and tired, will she be able to fulfill her bedroom duties to the husband and also take care of the family effectively?
Whever she fails to meet basic things, cracks begins to set in which may eventually consumes her home if care is not taken.

1 Like

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by 4C2215131: 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2014
This is a re-cycled, over-flogged, dissected and analysed topic. Mods please do your jobs! With due respect to the Mods, in other forums I happen to contribute to discussions, there are usual admonitions from Mods amongst which is one advising would be thread starters to make sure they use the search tool to make inquiries about their topic of intent with the aim of seeing if it had been discussed in the forum already. The purpose is to keep the forum lively, fresh, entertaining, trendy and informational.

Sadly, this isn't the case here. You keep seeing old re-worded topics hitting FP. It makes the whole NL experience boring and un-fulfilling. Indeed NL in my opinion has seen its better days, it needs an over-haul (it might still be the best thing since Indomie noodles for some folks, but I suppose these folks didn't know the Nairaland of the mid to late '2000s). Folks may dis-agree with me, but again, certain folks know I'm on point. Mods sit up!

4 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by kaboninc(m): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
Kimoni:

Can it be averted? Can you ever be happy with someone that is killing your goals in life?

Imagine if your father stopped you from furthering your education in order to take care of him in his old age? You were top in ur class and always wanted to be a medical doctor. Can the frustration within you be averted especially when you have classmates who also have aged fathers and were able to agree alternative arrangements with them, but ur own father refused to work anything out and insist you must stop school as his time on earth is very limited.

How would you feel? Remember he seems to have very valid reasons.

Just to answer you, not everyone is capable of making sacrifices. And I strongly doubt if you're also capable.

In fact sacrifices that seem so silly and foolish yet valid as you said.
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by soulglo: 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2014
chaircover:

Are you saying that the fish seller who wakes up at 3am to catch the 4am danfo to badagry to buy fish, comes back home to Barracks to smoke the fish, then sells them at Iyana Iba market in the afternoon and the night market at okoko is not a career woman?

People think carrer woman and automatically think of the women holding board positions and wearing skirt suits. . . . .

A lot of women are out there providing for their familes and many just dont have choices especially in a place like Nigeria where there is no welfare state for widows, divorcess etc

She's a working woman and not a career woman. In my opinion though.

I totally agree with you. Especially in Nigeria were a woman could be left with nothing at age 40 and nobody can help her except offer their pity. Few years ago I might have asked her to make the sacrifice but growing up and spending time on NL grin has showed me that women in Nigeria would be idiotic to drop a career. I'd even encourage them to own properties in their names and in a trust for the children just like the man does to secure his future. A man who's selfish enough to ask his wife to give up her career could be selfish enough to drop the marriage if she refuses to go something life changing in the future. Then what? I would never recommend it for a nigerian woman in Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by daey118(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
4C2215131:
This is a re-cycled, over-flogged, dissected and analysed topic. Mods please do your jobs! With due respect to the Mods, in other forums I happen to contribute to discussions, there are usual admonitions from Mods amongst which is one advising would be thread starters to make sure they use the search tool to make inquiries about their topic of intent with the aim of seeing if it had been discussed in the forum already. The purpose is to keep the forum lively, fresh, entertaining, trendy and informational.

Sadly, this isn't the case here. You keep seeing old re-worded topics hitting FP. It makes the whole NL experience boring and un-fulfilling. Indeed NL in my opinion has seen its better days, it needs an over-haul (it might still be the best thing since Indomie noodles for some folks, but I suppose these folks didn't know the Nairaland of the mid to late '2000s). Folks may dis-agree with me, but again, certain folks know I'm on point. Mods sit up!
. Seconded
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by weaseloo: 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
This will continue to be controversial topic because we all face different circumstances in life.

Striking that balance between family and home does not come easy. In fact, it is impossible in most cases. I would say much depends on the woman and her priorities, does she love her home/children more, or her job? Is her career demanding? Is she lucky enough to have a job that gives her just enough time to take care of her family? If she decides to stay and take care of her kids, how easily can she find the befitting job when she is ready to go back? Is the husband willing to support her during this time? Is she willing to be perpetually broke while at home? Ain't an easy decision to give up your job but, like I said it depends on her circumstance and priorities.

But women really do take on a lot: household duties, pregnancy, childbirth, child rearing, wifely duties. I believe God have us the strength to do these things. Work with what works for you and your family and do not look at others. You really can't have it all in life.

2 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Kimoni: 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2014
kaboninc:

Just to answer you, not everyone is capable of making sacrifices. And I strong doubt if you're also capable.

In fact sacrifices that seem so silly and foolish yet valid as you said.

Still searching for ur answer...
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Tallesty1(m): 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2014
zeb04:
Asking someone to quit their is to the extreme.

Why do we take decisions without considering the other party.is it only the woman's duty to bring joy into the family, .......weren't our mother's successful family and carrier women .

You don't ask someone to make sacrifice you know you cannot do youself and marriages don't just pack up because of someone's ambition.

We all have purposes,ambitions,goals in life and we can do that carrying everyone along.
What are you saying?
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Pamcrest(f): 9:40pm On Oct 22, 2014
Op, yes we can....and many of us do! A woman is built to multitask and with the right support from her family, she can reach d peak in her career while maintaining her home. It takes determination, focus, organisation and finding d right balance. Not forgetting the grace of God.
I am not saying it is easy but it is do-able.
My humble submission

5 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by kaboninc(m): 9:42pm On Oct 22, 2014
Kimoni:

Still searching for ur answer...

Lol.
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by remsonik(f): 9:55pm On Oct 22, 2014
Well it would be very difficult for me to quit a rewarding career path after all the hardwork I have put in for years. My father didn't train me to become an housewife and where I come from there's nothing limiting you as a woman cos you are given same opportunity as the men.
Its better to get married to someone who understands that you are a career woman and it will be very selfish for a man to wake up and tell you to quit.
With the way the country is nowadays every woman must work!! I repeat every woman must work. If your husband is winning the bread you can be winning the butter. Plan yourself well and raise your kids well.
My mom was a career woman and she got to the peak of her career and today she has 4 kids doing well in their chosen careers too.
If our dreams and goals are conflicting then we can't walk together Amos 3:3

9 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by kaboninc(m): 9:57pm On Oct 22, 2014
Very controversial topic.

Whether we like it or not, it is the duty of a man to provide for his family. If the woman supports, beautiful. Most importantly the man provides and that's the pride of a man. The woman's role is to support and if possible complement his efforts. That's her joy.

Sadly life can turn you upside down that it becomes the woman who provides. A caring, loving and responsible man will always support his wife to see her aspirations come true especially when she is playing a crucial role to his success. Today women are actually taking up traditional 'manly' roles in business, government, academia, etc. To me, there's no problem but she must never forget her 'primary' duty. So long as she doesn't, she's got my support. Besides, there are times when ones career would have to be put on 'hold' and never 'terminated' as its been argued here; most cases it is the woman's career and in few cases, it is the man. This is where compromise and sacrifice comes in.

My 2 kobo.

2 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by GodofGrace(m): 10:00pm On Oct 22, 2014
I couldn't wait to read page 2&3 before I make my point, I'm still in my middle twenties anyway but I have to say this why do you women think you can compare your self with men?. is not that I don't want career women to grow but at the same time if your family is felling the pain of your career then is out of ordinary, the last time I check my bible it said wives are the helper of their husband....... the little I expect woman's to do is assisting their husband spiritual, financial,emotionally and morally to bring up their children in a Godly way. so now tell me when woman become a competition with men in a career world.
insult me if you want,I don't care I have said my mind.
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by buchilino(m): 10:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
dis is a decision both has 2 discuss with great understanding. making decisions in marriage is not easy, so i advice both parties 2 show maturity especially d husbands, we sometimes need 2 swallow our pride (dats is if ur married 2 a good woman).

2 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Amechi189(m): 10:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
I don't think so
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by GodofGrace(m): 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2014
kaboninc:
Very controversial topic.

Whether we like it or not, it is the duty of a man to provide for his family. If the woman supports, beautiful. Most importantly the man provides and that's the pride of a man. The woman's role is to support and if possible complement his efforts. That's her joy.

Sadly life can turn you upside down that it becomes the woman who provides. A caring, loving and responsible man will always support his wife to see her aspirations come true especially when she is playing a crucial role to his success. Today women are actually taking up traditional 'manly' roles in business, government, academia, etc. To me, there's no problem but she must never forget her 'primary' duty. So long as she doesn't, she's got my support. Besides, there are times when ones career would have to be put on 'hold' and never 'terminated' as its been argued here; most cases it is the woman's career and in few cases, it is the man. This is where compromise and sacrifice comes in.

My 2 kobo.
. good points that is it .they almost turn our societies to something else, did they expect a man to guide a grown up daughter on what to do during her menstural period all do they expect grown up daughters to confide with their father easily with a relationship issues especially when she knows that her father is no nonsense man
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by ELLYsian: 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2014
GodofGrace:
I couldn't wait to read page 2&3 before I make my point, I'm still in my middle twenties anyway but I have to say this why do you women think you can compare your self with men?. is not that I don't want career women to grow but at the same time if your family is felling the pain of your career then is out of ordinary, the last time I check my bible it said wives are the helper of their husband....... the little I expect woman's to do is assisting their husband spiritual, financial,emotionally and morally to bring up their children in a Godly way. so now tell me when woman become a competition with men in a career world.
insult me if you want,I don't care I have said my mind.

Not everyone is a Christian.

1 Like

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
That's true
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Dcmg(m): 10:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
Busybody2:
Something's got to give and in most cases its the children that loses out on "quality" time.
No matter my ambition or career,i'm ready to give quality time to my children but in that case the wife will lose out.
If you dnt give quality time to your children,who will?
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 22, 2014
yes , it is very much possible, with the help of a good husband. Being a career woman should not affect motherhood in anyway and it should not be a reason not to take care of one's kid. I think being good mother is also a personal thing. I know a family where the wife is a full housewife yet the children are wayward and she barely has time for these kids also. its a personal thing really.

5 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 22, 2014
jaybee3:

Do you really want to compare physical stress to mental stress?

A career woman must have gone through all sort of hoops just to climb the career ladder.
Like?

U guys should learn to appreciate ur ladies here o kiss cheesy
I don talk my own.
U appreciate a woman, u see her wanting to do more and more to please u.
Infact, its a secret I will share with u only tongue
Treat her special and sit back and watch as things unfold. Ladies give in their best when there is no inhibition, lord over and overly possessive man around them.

(I no fit argue,family section sabi argue pass lawyers cheesy)

Do this and thank me later mr jb. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by massada: 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2014
No be lie,my bros.for real!
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
chaircover:

she is a career woman grin
she did an apprenticeship on how to smoke the fish

Do you know that there are apprecticships for things such as selling fabric and how to repair shoes
All those girls in isale eko measuring fabric are learning how to be fabric merchants too one day

@moca, when you go to dubai, you will think that half Nigerian women have left Nigeria. These are the women running these so called "family friendly" businesses.
There are also tailors that sew express and are up all night
Sis, u don't have to tell me,I've been there several times to witness what happens.
In my office alone, d ladies joggle office workk with supermarket and children all together plus parents o!
Common balogun or onitsha main market is another example. Some will sell o, park their things out for d night session. U will see some selling and breasttfeeding at d same time.

Its only here that women r not celebrated.

Abeg my family celebrates me a lot.
If I tell u my everyday schedule now,u won't believe it.
Some folks simply need reorientation.

6 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by kuderrich: 10:31pm On Oct 22, 2014
zeb04:
what the hell is that
I'll pretend as If I dunno wat u're saying
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
moca:

Sis, u don't have to tell me,I've been there several times to witness what happens.
In my office alone, d ladies joggle office workk with supermarket and children all together plus parents o!
Common balogun or onitsha main market is another example. Some will sell o, park their things out for d night session. U will see some selling and breasttfeeding at d same time.

Its only here that women r not celebrated.

Abeg my family celebrates me a lot.
If I tell u my everyday schedule now,u won't believe it.
Some folks simply need reorientation.
@bolded. I know right lol. The fear is real. Love don't live around here anymore grin.

2 Likes

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by buskeh(m): 10:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
Xcuss me..is a masculine suppose to have a pie here??
Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Phoenixfrank(m): 10:38pm On Oct 22, 2014
Wow, a lot of radical feminist. Keep it up maybe one day we will have a reasonable female president.

1 Like

Re: Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 22, 2014
skydeep:

She is busy woman grin

Jokes apart, you actually do have a point...a career woman is sort of different from a busy woman...here's d reason why:

A career woman has a boss to impress so she toils day & night to improve on herself sometimes to the detriment of the family but a busy woman above rarely toys with her family...infact sometimes she makes her children help her @work & @d end of the day spend more time with her family in another dimension....datz how most family businesses spring up...like how I use to help my mom in her bookshop business...and we all in the family manage it 2geda...we still spend quality time 2geda then.....but if she was a career woman she likely wouldn't have had my time..

A busy woman can still have time for her family but a career woman will have to squeeze out time.

I for one cannot marry a sit @home woman...I desire an educated and industrious woman...one who wont be a liability...but @same time I dont want an overzealous woman that wont have time for me & my kids....let there be moderation(balance) in all things... I recommend all women reading this to go read & digest Proverbs 31....it gives a perfect picture of the wife & mother ever woman should be...mind you aint a pastor or spirikoko...i'm an original badboy who happens to believe in God's wisdom...cheers!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What My Dad Wanted Me To Do On His Behalf / Missing 3 Siblings In Lagos (Photo) / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.