Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. (702 Views)

Independent Candidacy Bill Pass First Reading / Local Government Autonomy, Creation Of More States / Lawmakers Approve N17b For Independence Anniversary ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. by mcdokwe(m): 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
News filtering in has it that lawmakers have made a case for independent candidacy.

www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/183891-national-assembly-okays-independent-candidacy
Details later.

My take:

The issue of the independent candidacy in my opinion is the best things that can happen to democracy anywhere especially in Nigeria where party structures scheme out individuals whom the people feel would serve their best interest.

However, the local government autonomy is not new, the 1999 was explicit in its provision on the local government. however, and for reasons best known for them, governors exploited the loopholes in the constitution and saw to it that that level of government remained a mere extension of the state. It is left to be seen how far this amendment would go in protecting this "autonomy".
Re: Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 22, 2014
Its not new
Re: Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. by Octaves(m): 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2014
Wateva they do. I'm sure it won't make any much difference with regards to providing basic services to the LGA's in question, with the corruption and the rate at which people get away with negligence of duty in the con3. They should just begin the process to transition to full fledged federalism not this travesty we are practising. Thap is what will interest me most and that will put to rest a lot of ethno political issues griping the country
Re: Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 7:39pm On Oct 22, 2014
Time to contest for president as an independent candidate
Re: Lawmakers Approve Independent Candidacy, Local Government Autonomy. by mcdokwe(m): 10:52pm On Oct 22, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
Time to contest for president as an independent candidate
goodluck

(1) (Reply)

Reps Order Probe Into Killing Of Nigerians In Dubai / Fellow Nigerians / Jonathan To Project Key Gains At Today’s Declaration -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.