Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? (47689 Views)

Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Smartsyn(m): 12:10pm On Oct 23, 2014
Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone on the know put me(us) through on the difference between a Minister and a Minister of State in the Ministry.

We usually see somethings like The Minister for Education and then The Minister of State for Education and it is so in all ministries..

So please what is their different job description and all that.....

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by kolaaderin: 12:13pm On Oct 23, 2014
Just creation of job for looters.

196 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
Smartsyn:
Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone on the know put me(us) through on the difference between a Minister and a Minister of State in the Ministry.

We usually see somethings like The Minister for Education and then The Minister of State for Education and it is so in all ministries..

So please what is their different job description and all that.....

I have two answers

1. The minister is the oga and the minister of state is the vice/deputy

2. The latter is not necessary since the former is not even functional

so the difference is that they all wasting tax payers money!!

217 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Adventurist(m): 12:18pm On Oct 23, 2014
Question for the gods

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by adahib: 12:20pm On Oct 23, 2014
I've been wondering same oo

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2014
The minister is the boss while the other is the assistant. Just like governor and deputy Governor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by adanduka: 12:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
No difference.
However, there a lots of similarities
grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by azidomedogo: 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
like minister of defence and minister of state for defence.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by rocgirl: 12:59pm On Oct 23, 2014
Absolutely nothing! Just mere role duplication

17 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Rikidony(m): 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
FANTASTIC QUESTION: WELL I THINK IS JUST ANOTHER MEANS OF JOB CREATION AT LEAST THE PRESIDENT CAN COUNT THEM AMONG WHEN HIS TALKING ABOUT JOB CREATION

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by brownlord: 2:36pm On Oct 23, 2014
Party faithful need to be rewarded

46 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by PassingShot(m): 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2014
It was OBJ's strategy to share positions and money to his PDP cronies when he became president in 1999.

He was reported to have said that " No need to fight, there is enough for all to share". The result was all the useless positions including those of PAs, and Special PAs.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Demdem(m): 3:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
PassingShot:
It was OBJ's strategy to share positions and money to his PDP cronies when he became president in 1999.

He was reported to have said that " No need to fight, there is enough for all to share". The result was all the useless positions including those of PAs, and Special PAs.

Jonathan came in and adopted the same rot. The fool even went further to appoint ambassador at large. Yeye dey smell.

71 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by 0merta(m): 3:14pm On Oct 23, 2014
The creation of the posts of a "minister" and a "minister of state" is to afford representations of all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT in the federal cabinet. This wouldn't be possible if the minister of state position is non-existent as the number of ministries is not up to 36.

But I think the representative capacity should have been based on Geo-political zones and not on the number of states to eliminate duplicity of functions.

And for those saying the Minister of state is like a deputy Governor, I think you're all wrong. The Minister of state is independent of the "real" Minister with respect to portfolio assignments. The Minister of state functions as an intermediary between the federal government and the respective state ministries. For example, if the commissioner of education in Osun state wants to liaise with the Federal ministry of education in Abuja, he does that via the minister of state for education.

Conclusively, I think the position of the "Minister of state" was intrinsically created to make the "chopping of money" go round!

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

194 Likes 16 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by walad4yhu(m): 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
Was confused on this too
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by pazienza(m): 5:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
brownlord:
Party faithful need to be rewarded

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
The only dichotomy I experienced is :

The minister is the substantive CEO of a ministry who interract with both foreign governments on Nigeria and domestic affairs while in order to ease off the duty of the Minister, we have minister of state whose duty is predominantly on domestic affairs and rallying round states on Federal Government policy and frameworks to ensure uniformity as far as such ministry is assigned and I think He should report to the substantive minister and/or Presidency !!!

17 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
0merta:

And for those saying the Minister of state is like a deputy Governor, I think you're all wrong. The Minister of state is independent of the "real" Minister with respect to portfolio assignments. The Minister of state functions as an intermediary between the federal government and the respective state ministries. For example, if the commissioner of education in Osun state wants to liaise with the Federal ministry of education in Abuja, he does that via the minister of state for education.
This sounds more like it !!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Pennywise(m): 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2014
donroxy:
The only dichotomy I experienced is :

The minister is the substantive CEO of a ministry who interract with both foreign governments on Nigeria and domestic affairs while in order to ease off the duty of the Minister, we have minister of state whose duty is predominantly on domestic affairs and rallying round states on Federal Government policy and frameworks to ensure uniformity as far as such ministry is assigned and I think He should report to the substantive minister and/or Presidency !!!

Sometimes we try too hard to find solutions to problems that do not exist or we go rigmaroling/sommersaulting looking for answers that stare at us in the face.

Minister of state is a creation of the Obj Goverment to deputize for a substantive minister. The real essence is for political jobs to go round. It was an expedient decision of Obj to spread the goodies among supporters and loyalists not minding that state resources can ill-afford it. If GEJ had any leadership spirit in him, he would have since abolished that position. I suppose we all have to wait for Buhari.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 23, 2014
Pennywise:

Sometimes we try too hard to find solutions to problems that do not exist or we go rigmaroling/sommersaulting looking for answers that stare at us in the face.

Minister of state is a creation of the Obj Goverment to deputize for a substantive minister. The real essence is for political jobs to go round. It was an expedient decision of Obj to spread the goodies among supporters and loyalists not minding that state resources can ill-afford it. If GEJ had any leadership spirit in him, he would have since abolished that position. I suppose we all have to wait for Buhari.
Some Nigerians and problems with issues !

The Op asked a good question regarding difference Minister of the federation and Minister of state and we provided answers regarding established difference between both !!

It is not as if both are doing same job so wetin be all this Obasanjo this , obasanjo that ..... If you don't know the difference just say so and zoom-out ! .....

The op never asked you for Obasanjo,GEJ and /or Buhari ... !!

28 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Pennywise(m): 3:29am On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
Some Nigerians and problems with issues !

The Op asked a good question regarding difference Minister of the federation and Minister of state and we provided answers regarding established difference between both !!

It is not as if both are doing same job so wetin be all this Obasanjo this , obasanjo that ..... If you don't know the difference just say so and zoom-out ! .....

The op never asked you for Obasanjo,GEJ and /or Buhari ... !!

Understand what I am talking about. Besides the obvious that the minister heads the ministry, the new creation is essentially a duplication of his function. The next logical question then is why?

Why do you think dictionaries sometimes give u the historical basis in their definitions? To have explanation in perspective. Think. It ain't hard.

25 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 3:57am On Oct 24, 2014
Pennywise:

Understand what I am trying to say. Besides the obvious that the minister heads the ministry, the new creation is essentially a duplication of his function. The next logical question then is why?

Why do you think dictionaries sometimes give u the historical basis in their definitions? To have explanation in perspective. Think. It ain't hard.

My brother you are the one that should think harder because that is why this country is failing due to undue criticism in a wrong manner !!

It is not a duplication of function since both of them don't do the same thing .... Each of them knows the matters they are addressing ... ......Where a memo belonging to minister of state is mistakenly address to substantive minister then he has to reject and/or redirect viceversa ........

My only criticism is that : maybe there is room for functions of minister of state to be included to the functions of substantive minister and the latter would still do both effectively and efficiently but due to our love for wastage (which is your arguement) we wouldn't do that!!

We would have attached seriousness to your criticism if you were able to atleast provide the difference between both, as the thread/op rightly required, then launch your discontentment regarding the creation as many posters rightly did !!

Imagine a test asked you difference between Minister and Minister of state and you doll out Obasanjo, Jonathan and Buhari ...

there is no suggestion in the Op that he wants criticism , he wants the ''difference'' and you wanna make politics outa holistic question without providing any difference ..... Within twinkle of an eye ....... You will turn here to APC vs PDP battle ground .... Mba abeg !!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:30am On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
My brother you are the one that should think harder because that is why this country is failing due to undue criticism in a wrong manner !!

It is not a duplication of function since both of them don't do the same thing .... Each of them knows the matters they are addressing ... ......Where a memo belonging to minister of state is mistakenly address to substantive minister then he has to reject and/or redirect viceversa ........

My only criticism is that : maybe there is room for functions of minister of state to be included to the functions of substantive minister and the latter would still do both effectively and efficiently but due to our love for wastage (which is your arguement) we wouldn't do that!!

We would have attached seriousness to your criticism if you were able to atleast provide the difference between both, as the thread/op rightly required, then launch your discontentment regarding the creation as many posters rightly did !!

Imagine a test asked you difference between Minister and Minister of state and you doll out Obasanjo, Jonathan and Buhari ...

there is no suggestion in the Op that he wants criticism , he wants the ''difference'' and you wanna make politics outa holistic question without providing any difference ..... Within twinkle of an eye ....... You will turn here to APC vs PDP battle ground .... Mba abeg !!

both functions can be merged for one ministry / minister nah. its mere corruption

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by segend(m): 8:13am On Oct 24, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

both functions can be merged for one ministry / minister nah. its mere corruption

The issue is that we must have 36 ministers, if 10 new states are created today, then we must have 46 ministers, whether there is a ministry for them or not. I think the real issue should be why should each state have a minister, each state is already well and equally represented in the senate and house of representative. The job of a minister is not to represent his state, will make more sense if ministerial appointment is by zone, maybe 3 per zone.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by brainpower(m): 8:28am On Oct 24, 2014
The OP asked a simple question which a lot of people have been asking innocently, but I can see a lot of people politicizing it. Even if OBJ did it to share the money then it might be because a lot of People from different states were asking for it. It is the job of the national assembly to consider it and scrap it if there is no use for it. So if there are any grievances then it should be addressed to the national assembly but of course a lot of you here don't even know who your councillors are not to talk of knowing where your constituency office is. Don't worry very soon nairaland will have constituency offices as usual where you can rant and speak English and think it matters in the real world of politics. And those that are trying to bring GEJ in this should know that OBJ started it and this same OBJ is playing with our supposed saviors that want to bring change.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by horpe132(m): 8:33am On Oct 24, 2014

*** Minister Of Education ------Mrs Alingo Msc,Phd,,Prof -

*** Minister of Education for State ------ Mr Jalingo 'A "Colonel rtd",,Former Deputy Chairman Phee D Phee,,A friend 2d President.....

* D 1st Works while the later Loots the treasury,,,,,,Most of the tym dey share d loot 2geda........grin grin

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by mainheart(m): 9:04am On Oct 24, 2014
Op there is no difference, is only a political game in order to make ministerial seats get up to the 36 state in including Abuja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by agabusta: 9:11am On Oct 24, 2014
Demdem:

Jonathan came in and adopted the same rot. The fool even went further to appoint ambassador at large. Yeye dey smell.

I am a supporter of APC and Buhari, but sir I would appreciate if you can tone down your abuses on the president. You can criticise him as you deem fit and show the rot in his govt, but try not to resort to abuses.

Tnx

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:34am On Oct 24, 2014
segend:

The issue is that we must have 36 ministers, if 10 new states are created today, then we must have 46 ministers, whether there is a ministry for them or not. I think the real issue should be why should each state have a minister, each state is already well and equally represented in the senate and house of representative. The job of a minister is not to represent his state, will make more sense if ministerial appointment is by zone, maybe 3 per zone.

no mind them
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 9:45am On Oct 24, 2014
This is one of the many reasons we spend more than 70% of our national budget on recurrent expenditure,we have over-bloated civil service,oversize cabinet,over pampered national assembly and over-dependent state an local government...the only solution is to shut the oil flow from Niger delter,so that everybody wul look inward. sad sad

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 10:03am On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:

!
Seriously? Are u kidding me ..there is no duplication?u mean dos ministries can not function without two ministers?wat of in the period where the senior minister have resigned,didn't the ministries function without hitches?...Dora Akunyili left ministry of information an labaran Maku presided over till few week ago(wit a PhD in propaganda),didn't the ministry function?...Reuben Abati was doing juuuust fine,untill the presidency felt they needed someone"a bulldog" with experience in "counter-attack and image laundering"..and Doyin okukpe was the answer,now you have two ppl eatin from the same "pot", if you know how public service works,then u will know that those ministeries can be created in one and can also Be disposed off in one week,they are just political jobbers seeking for "settlement" cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by stalyf(m): 10:05am On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:
The creation of the posts of a "minister" and a "minister of state" is to afford representations of all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT in the federal cabinet. This wouldn't be possible if the minister of state position is non-existent as the number of ministries is not up to 36.

But I think the representative capacity should have been based on Geo-political zones and not on the number of states to eliminate duplicity of functions.

Conclusively, I think the position of the "Minister of state" was intrinsically created to make the "chopping of money" go round!

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

Very correct, you pass through school.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Talks Tough; Attacks Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, National Assembly / Jonathan Commissions 4 Navy Warships (Photos) / Tambuwal To Tinubu: When You Were Denied Buhari’s VP, You Tried To Rock The Boat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.