Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! (16371 Views)

MTN GPRS on PC Using Phone Modem or Bluetooth? / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? / MTN Nigeria GPRS [Includes Configuration Settings] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 2:08pm On Sep 24, 2005

I just got this tip from a close friend of mine. Here's how to browse on your phone if you're a Vmobile Nigeria Network Subscriber:
- Compose a new text message and type wapgprs
- Send this text message to the number 184.
- You will recieve the settings on your phone as SMS. Select "save settings".
- Start browsing!
- Visit wap.nairaland.com to access the Nairaland Forum from your phone.

Share it with your friends - it seems to be free for now. For the first time since I launched MobileNigeria, I have the privilege of browsing the web from a phone and it's a lovely experience!

grin

The manual working settings are as follows, for a Nokia Phone:
Vmobile GPRS
Homepage: http://wap.nairaland.com OR http://wap2.nairaland.com (optionally, http://wap.vmobile4me.com)
Session mode: Permanent
Connection Security: Off
Data Bearer: GPRS

Bearer Settings
GPRS Connection: When needed
GPRS access point: wap.vmobile (aka APN)
IP Address: 172.18.254.5
Authentication type: Normal
Login type: Automatic
User name: wap
Password: - empty - (update - it seems the password is also 'wap')

Questions for Vmobile Subcribers:
- Did it work for you?
- Are you able to browse Nairaland from your phone?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by cushman(m): 9:26pm On Sep 24, 2005
Thats really cool!
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by rufaai(m): 9:38am On Sep 25, 2005
Yep,

I know of the Vmobile GPRS to come. But I wonder who that person that gave you the setting is... any way i think he works with Vmobile right?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 9:45am On Sep 25, 2005
THe person that gave me the setting is a Medical student, so she doesn't work for V-mobile. do you think Vmobile management will be unhappy that their information has leaked out early?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by mufasa(m): 4:05pm On Sep 25, 2005
@ all vmobile gprs config can be gotten by sending a text "wapgprs" to 184. then save the settings and reboot your phone.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by mamba(m): 5:52pm On Sep 25, 2005
all you guys could be sued for leaking this info..
the stuff is not yet officially announced and ur all broadcasting the config.
anyway sha, i've been using it for sometime and it's not full internet but wap only..
enjoy sha!!
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 6:38pm On Sep 25, 2005
There's nothing that can make Nairaland grow in popularity faster than to be sued by a large company like vmobile because we are promoting their service!
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by timmy(m): 9:27pm On Sep 25, 2005
tried the stuff on my phone, (sagem Mx7) didn't work.. but i got an sms from +184 with settings info and all. any other tips seun?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 7:26am On Sep 26, 2005
Why not try the manual settings which I included in my first post. I want to advice those who are using handset models from smaller manufacturers like Sagem, Bird, etc to udse the manual settings.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by ProfCares(m): 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2005
It may not work because one has to supply the password. Password should not be empty. I suggest using the same thing for Username and Password. Just try that. Am giong to try it as well but the problem is that am presently in Ile Ife where the GPRS network might not available.

Asides, Can one get the setting if there is no access time on the phone?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by dennizman(m): 6:47pm On Sep 26, 2005
hi guys...on hearing about the vmobile gprs,i bought a new line..i have sent the test but there was no reply...i dont know the wahala nowwww...anyone he lpful
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Motee(f): 7:06pm On Sep 26, 2005
anything like this yet for MTN users?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2005
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by dennizman(m): 8:58am On Sep 27, 2005
Well now i believe the news cos i can now browse with my new vmobile line.just send the wapgprs to 184 as seun said.it might take sometime though...infact i m posting this with vmobile...peace
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by julea(f): 6:57pm On Sep 29, 2005
just sent the info to 184 earnestly expecting a reply.........maybe i'll b surcharged later for not being billed immediately with just 8 naira on my phone? grin
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by MYAGB: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2005
well guys i have not tried it but i hope is not another form of GSM "April fool" as the lastest GRPS seem to be
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by ambyzown(m): 7:28pm On Sep 29, 2005
Hi all, this is my first post on Nairaland.
I think this is a very good development for mobile telephony in Nigeria. A lot of people here only use their phones for voice calls and sms, but gradually, we'll begin to see a lot more people use their phones for instant messenging, stock quotes, news on the go, etc. After all, all four gsm service providers now offer gprs, and I understand that Mtel and MTN have plans for UMTS in the offing. cool
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by dennizman(m): 10:02pm On Sep 29, 2005
There is no charge for the text.the settings would be sent to u,but u l wait for quite a while..you can send more than one text for surer result...
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by timmy(m): 11:20am On Sep 30, 2005
IT WORKS, IT WORKS.....

i usewd the manual settings, but seun, u omitted the password.. i used a password to get mine up, password was wap too....

nairaland as been fun reading from my phone..

Seun try working on posting comments via wap, it should be an added value than just reading.....
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 11:29am On Sep 30, 2005
Please visit wap2.nairaland.com for the WAP 2.0 version, which allows you to login and participate in the forum! WAP 1.1 version only lets you browse the forum.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by tenderson(m): 11:41am On Sep 30, 2005
[color=#000099][/color] This is a supprise to me ..how you got this code for gprs...anyway thats nice and one of the advantage of joining online forums.i have a question...can it work without airtime on my phone cos now i dont have airtime and am very ancious to try it before i recharge my phone....
this na new invention men....tenderson
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by timmy(m): 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2005
tenderson:

[color=#000099][/color] This is a supprise to me ..how you got this code for gprs...anyway thats nice and one of the advantage of joining online forums.i have a question...can it work without airtime on my phone because now i don't have airtime and am very ancious to try it before i recharge my phone....
this na new invention men.tenderson

well it worked for me without airtime, the initial sms sending also worked without airtime, so bro try it grin
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by jedisquare(m): 2:13pm On Oct 01, 2005
i'm not in nigeria so i cant get any of tht but i need pple 2 reach me at jedisquare@hotmail.com
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by coolstuff4real(m): 4:07pm On Oct 01, 2005
Hi pple am from portharcourt using nokia ngage and my gprs is active on my phone with the (G) sign, but i can not browse any site i get error msg "no gateway reply" when connected cos a sqaure box covers the G sign. vmobile did not send me any settings to my phone when i text "wapgprs" to 184, i only got a welcome msg thats all. So i had to use the settings provided below:

Vmobile GPRS
Homepage: http://wap.nairaland.com OR http://wap2.nairaland.com (optionally, http://wap.vmobile4me.com)
Session mode: Permanent
Connection Security: Off
Data Bearer: GPRS

Bearer Settings
GPRS Connection: When Available
GPRS access point: wap.vmobile
IP Address: 172.18.254.5
Authentication type: Normal
Login type: Automatic
User name: wap
Password:wap

People what else are we missing here, has anyone actually browsed with it or Vmobile is still test running their stuff.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by dennizman(m): 10:33pm On Oct 01, 2005
Well thats about all the setting you need.i dont know why u aint browsing wet. Try sending the text wapgprs2 to 184 again-
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by bambi(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2005
sending wapgprs to 184 takes a long time. you may have to wait for eternity. when my phone was reset, i had to go to my sony ericsson website picked my type of phone, country and network and in a jiffy the settins were sent to me.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by bambi(m): 5:19pm On Oct 02, 2005
hello seun. yuo seem to be the guru, whats the difference between csd and gprs. i know many folks do not know. thanx a lot. vmobile tells youwapcsd and all that stuff. how do you know what your phone supports.

also my phone tells me sender address not recgnised if i attempt to send an mms, is it cos the recipient is not subscribed to the wap protocol
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by anonymous: 12:45am On Oct 03, 2005
does the Vactive work all over Vobiles Cell sites in Nigeria, or is it Just Lagos?
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by akintayo: 11:23am On Oct 03, 2005
i want the setting of GPRS ON HAND SET [BIRD A120 CAMERA]PHONE NUMBER 08027769026
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by Seun(m): 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2005
@Anony: the best way to know if you have GPRS in your location is from your phone. Nokia phones show a [G] symbol if they are recieving GPRS signals in the area, even if the GPRS has not been configured. So if you don't see the [G] on your phone, maybe it's not in your area.
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by shallar1(m): 12:29pm On Oct 04, 2005
Am using Sendo SV663, and after sending the wapgprs for about 3 times,I finally received the settings which I saved in my phone, though I overwrite the manual configuration already inserted.

To cut the story short, am browsing on the phone, and also able to download content, view BBC news, UEFA list, Tones from Kennis Music etc.

Please could anyone send me wap site where I can download tones like Shaggy, Dilemma etc.

Vmobile............................. all about us
Re: Vmobile GPRS Settings: Send 'wapgprs' to 184! by shallar1(m): 3:38pm On Oct 04, 2005
This is coming from my phone. It is really mic- I

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I've Got The Xiaomi 20000mah Powerbank. Any Question? / Glo Posts Largest Data Penetration In 2017 Quarter 1 / GLO Annoying Way Of Checking Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.