Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job (1823 Views)

Job Seekers And Entertainment News Group On BBM & Whatsapp &- Join Now! / Job Seekers Beware Of This Username / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Acegoals: 7:24am On Oct 25, 2014
In response to a job seeker who complained of not getting a job despite his efforts, this short article was wriiteen as a reply. Sadly the points noted here are true of most job seekers and until they get it right things may remain the same (God forbid!) Read and be enlightened.

4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get a Job

1) You do not apply early for jobs.
You either wait for an email alert or you start checking jobs websites by 10.am everyday when the sharp guys are already up and searching by 7.am and once the employer calls the first 10 qualified persons for interview and gets his candidate, he ignores thousands of others

2) Your CV lacks keywords
Do you know that HR managers are now massively utilising technology for recruitment because of the workload in manually going through thousands of CVs at once? They have various indigenously developed applications/software that filters CVs. They just enter a keyword or ket phrase in the search box and it brings out every CV that has that phrase or keyword in it. E.G 'Sales Executive' is entered into the box and if you've done anything sales and is not written on your CV, you are lost in the crowd. Another example could be that they want someone with a particular software knowledge or professional affiliation or particular language or even someone who has volunteered or interned or someone with a product knowledge. Just make sure your CV has all the words as related to your field and they necessary embodiments of the job descriptions. One way you can test this yourself is using the search box on you PC to search your whole documents using some keywords to know how high your CV will rank

3) The same CV for all Jobs
You may also be probably using one static CV for every job you apply for. Know something, your CV should be as brief as possible with 2 pages and 3 maximum (for really experienced persons). It is not all your experience that should enter your CV. Why do you think some job descriptions states that you must have so so 'relevant' experience for the position advertised for? It is not all your experience that are relevant to the position and some some editing is needed before you apply for some particular jobs. You may have managed several facebook pages (even if it was not official or paid for) and the position of a Social Media Executive with 1-3 or 0-2 years' experience comes up, then is the time to fit in those 'unofficial' experiences. Also editing of CV is needed for inclusion of keywords. Some people make the mistake of overlooking some requirements. When a job says you must know how to speak one Nigerian language, how do you expect the employer to know that you can speak such language when its not in your CV? IT WILL BE FILTERED OFF!

4) You fail PROFILING!
Profiling is the way recruiters are going now for serious candidates who take time to build a profile for themselves part time. 50% of the jobs available now are not advertised. Instead recruiters go back end to get their candidates. Profiling is putting yourself out publicly to recruiters so that you can be found. LinkedIn is a perfect example a place for you to have a profile. In Nigeria we have job boards like Jobbe.rman, NgCareers and shortlist Nigeria (Philips consulting) that you can have a well polished profile on. In as mush as you scout for jobs with a good CV, also have a profile that employers can see and then call on you even before they see your CV.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by sholikay(m): 7:37am On Oct 25, 2014
Have u heard of d mercy of God?..when God showers his mercy on u,ur CV is nothing.

12 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Acegoals: 10:56am On Oct 25, 2014
sholikay:
Have u heard of d mercy of God?..when God showers his mercy on u,ur CV is nothing.

Hello,

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate.

You talk of mercy but I think you actually wanted to mean grace (or that's what it is). You see, mercy bringeth redemption while grace triggers unmerited elelevation and special favour. Most children of God do not recognise this hence they harbour the thinking that once God showers mercy on them then all things start working together for good and they forget (even ministers of the gospel) that it is to them that love God and who are called by His name.

Now that said. What I posted is for information purpose and may be a way of God showing mercy (as you said) to someone who may have been doing some things wrong and this info is an answered prayer. 3 John 1:2 KJV says Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
Your soul can only prosper when you feed it with the right things. Prosperity for some may be a testimony of a new job, promotion, contract or business breakthrough or even spiritual upliftment. But even as they prosper they require a conditioning of the mind to help them believe, make corrections and aspire for greater heights. With mercy cometh grace... God bless (hope i've not derailed thread o!) :-)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by seagullbabz(m): 12:05pm On Oct 25, 2014
Even God will not ask you to just sit down and wait for the showers. You plan and do things right, then wait for the showers of God.......

@OP you have said right, still have someone I know who just got a job through shortlist.

Thanks for the points..... by d way, at the rate I keep making FP these days, I don dey fear make them Last Page people no cme kidnap me.
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by iyisco2001(m): 3:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
I dey come
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Acegoals: 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2014
seagullbabz:
Even God will not ask you to just sit down and wait for the showers. You plan and do things right, then wait for the showers of God.......

@OP you have said right, still have someone I know who just got a job through shortlist.

Thanks for the points..... by d way, at the rate I keep making FP these days, I don dey fear make them Last Page people no cme kidnap me.

I got my first job without applying for any. I was shortlisted! But how? Just a week after passing out from NYSC, I got a job because I've been applying all what I read online to my CV and creating profiles so that I'll be seen 4 months before hand. I had invites for interviews which I could not attend due to distance. Then I knew that my CV was actually catching attention by God's grace. That's my testimony sir. And I have the mandate to help other people by divine inspiration from God that's why the website acegoals.com exist today. Daily (where I work) we do shortlisting for top firms that do not like to come public with their vacancies. One of the reasons usually is that they are about to fire someone (most times the HR manager or top position) or they do not want people to flood their email address with CVs that are irrelevant. For about two years I have gathered tangible experiences which is only right for most job seekers to know because they will continue to get it wrong over and over again which pains why heart!

When God said "My people perish because of lack of knowledge" I believe He was actually underscoring the fact that people still expect manner to fall from heaven when he has made provision for people to learn how to manufacture manner for themselves... Wisdom is profitable to direct!
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Topewealth: 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2014
sholikay:
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Topewealth: 5:11pm On Oct 25, 2014
sholikay:

@ Op, I love ur respond to sholikay!wink

You answered him wit wisdom, the bible says my people suffer cos of their ignorance! Am a good Christian, I pray nd fast , and I never fail to develop my self , And most importantly I act!
And I see good results!

They was a time I was having some challenges in my business , I fasted nd cried to God, still nothing happen, I was planing to go for another fastn and prayer whn d only spirit ministered to me, he said ; God has answered ur prayer, he has done his part , and u ve to do your own part, Act! So I took some steps , and the rest is a swt story!

Some Christian will deceive them self with grace , favor etc fastn , praying thinkn God does not answer prayer !
Let me shock u , until u do d right tin u will remain in one position!

You re seeking for administrative job , nd you dnt knw ms word or excel instead of developn ur ict skill u re fastn , praying nd biding. I pity u!

Sometimes God has answered our prayer, but nothing seems to happen because you fail to act!

My 2 cent!

Tope Wealth

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by seagullbabz(m): 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2014
This is great...thanks for the tips... will surely pick one or two things for myself from this... Bless

Acegoals:

I got my first job without applying for any. I was shortlisted! But how? Just a week after passing out from NYSC, I got a job because I've been applying all what I read online to my CV and creating profiles so that I'll be seen 4 months before hand. I had invites for interviews which I could not attend due to distance. Then I knew that my CV was actually catching attention by God's grace. That's my testimony sir. And I have the mandate to help other people by divine inspiration from God that's why the website acegoals.com exist today. Daily (where I work) we do shortlisting for top firms that do not like to come public with their vacancies. One of the reasons usually is that they are about to fire someone (most times the HR manager or top position) or they do not want people to flood their email address with CVs that are irrelevant. For about two years I have gathered tangible experiences which is only right for most job seekers to know because they will continue to get it wrong over and over again which pains why heart!

When God said "My people perish because of lack of knowledge" I believe He was actually underscoring the fact that people still expect manner to fall from heaven when he has made provision for people to learn how to manufacture manner for themselves... Wisdom is profitable to direct!
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Acegoals: 1:02pm On Oct 27, 2014
seagullbabz:

This is great...thanks for the tips... will surely pick one or two things for myself from this... Bless

I'm glad sir. Its a pleasure.
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by techmatas: 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2014
good one op
Re: 4 Reasons Most Job Seekers Don't Get A Job by Acegoals: 5:17am On Nov 02, 2014
techmatas:
good one op

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Helpdesk/customer Support Officer(male Only) Urgently Needed / Interview For Greenoak International School, Port Harcourt / Air Liquide Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.