Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (56806 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by SexyRihanna(f): 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2014
u run 1st to the police station of course or barrack
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Oracle6wh: 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2014
It was said somewhere in the bible that if you kill somebody accidentaly u should run away from the scene to the next village so that the dead's relatives and people around wont kill you out of anger in return, so i think the best thing to do is to run away that instance, then wen you realise that the preasure has quieting down then u can go to the nearest Police station to report and identify yourslf. It wil save you from havin the same lot with the unfortunate lecturer.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Boss13: 12:35pm On Oct 28, 2014
Interesting topic. My response might seem harsh but since we are prescribing naija solutions to naija answer. I would say RUN AWAY and don't look back. If you enter into the police station, you might be charged for manslaughter if you cannot bribe your way out. I had an experience like 4 years ago, I was on Oshodi-Apapa expressway going to the airport and an Okada man and his passenger were on that road (an express road oh) and for christ sake you know how these Okada guys (especially the hausa ones) can be. There was a truck right in front of me and I think the truck suddenly applied brake, I swerved to the right close to the okada rider and controlled myself but because okada do not have enough balance, the okada man also swerved to the right to dodge me, however he lost control and both him and his passenger flew off the bike.

I could not wait and stop. It was an express road but I observed them on my rear-view mirror. Then I saw a commercial bus by my side and the people inside were insulting me. We got to cele busstop (for those who know the place) and there was traffic, this commercial bus blocked me and passengers came out and was shouting that I killed somebody. The look in their eyes showed nothing but my grave and I was confused. Some started hitting my car and trying to open the door. Luckily for me, the traffic moved a little and I zoomed off.

You may say I acted harshly, but I thought the government had banned okada from the express way. Again, I think they may be pretty hurt but they were not dead because I observed them duly. Now guess what those guys would have done to me - Burnt my car, beat me up silly, rob me off my possession and abandon me in pains for an accident I did not create.

So in naija, I will not advise you to wait. If you have the chance zoom off and don't stop. Go park somewhere else and come back on foot to assist.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by SexyRihanna(f): 12:35pm On Oct 28, 2014
colossus2:
Listen to your conscience or whatever your mind tells you to do ATM
rubbish, ur mind must be off by then
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by adanduka: 12:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
I LOVE YOUR ANALYSIS OF ROAD USERS & TGE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES. grin
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Wheellz(m): 12:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
ALL U GUYS V BIN TALKING IS RUNNING TO D NEAREST POLICE STATION LYK FAST N FURIOUS.....
SUPPOSING DIA IS TRAFFIC ENOUGH TO MK U GO SLOW R CATCH UP WIT U,
HW WLD U GET DIA?
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by lawrenceunaa: 12:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
I don't knw what best to do undecided
Both running and reporting aint safe undecided

But it is better to stop immediately cos in aba if u run main check ur rear view okadas are chasing u
Some bus drivers might help in the race shocked

Last year my best frn's mum hit by a hummer bus while she was buying gala her skull broke and she died b4 reaching the nearest hospital. The bus driver didnt run he stayed in the cell and was released on the agreement to facilitate the burial expenses.

Few weeks back around 7:30pm i was coming back from a frns house a Toyota corolla hit down a girl of not more than 18 years after hitting the brakes see as passersby rushed at the car one holding the steering others shouting @him to come down. Thank God no injuries sustained but never try 'hit and run' in aba in the day time cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Talkcentral: 12:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
lolz
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 28, 2014
[deleted]
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by ONYEBALL: 12:43pm On Oct 28, 2014
Baba God abeg make i no jam person with my vehicle in Jesus name.Amen

11 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Johnnoo(m): 12:45pm On Oct 28, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Hit and run is a crime, hit and don't run is a sin (against ur self naija only).

grin grin grin

I wish to also advise all road users to adhere strictly to all "Prohibitory & Regulatory" road sign (even without the presence of FRSC personnels). The signs include among other things like;
1. Never overtake dangerously;
2. Always give way to vehicle on the left @roundabout;
3. Do not exceed the speed limit of an area especially in built-up areas;
4. Give way to vehicles using the speed lane when you are crawling.
5. Padestrians should always use padestrian crossing and avoid "jay walking";
6. Never drive against the traffic;
7. Always slow down @Zebra crossings;
And so on.

Every road user should remember to drive defensively and not offensively...Cheers cool

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by MadCow1: 12:45pm On Oct 28, 2014
@ Topic...

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2014
Boss13:
Interesting topic. My response might seem harsh but since we are prescribing naija solutions to naija answer. I would say RUN AWAY and don't look back. If you enter into the police station, you might be charged for manslaughter if you cannot bribe your way out. I had an experience like 4 years ago, I was on Oshodi-Apapa expressway going to the airport and an Okada man and his passenger were on that road (an express road oh) and for christ sake you know how these Okada guys (especially the hausa ones) can be. There was a truck right in front of me and I think the truck suddenly applied brake, I swerved to the right close to the okada rider and controlled myself but because okada do not have enough balance, the okada man also swerved to the right to dodge me, however he lost control and both him and his passenger flew off the bike.

I could not wait and stop. It was an express road but I observed them on my rear-view mirror. Then I saw a commercial bus by my side and the people inside were insulting me. We got to cele busstop (for those who know the place) and there was traffic, this commercial bus blocked me and passengers came out and was shouting that I killed somebody. The look in their eyes showed nothing but my grave and I was confused. Some started hitting my car and trying to open the door. Luckily for me, the traffic moved a little and I zoomed off.

You may say I acted harshly, but I thought the government had banned okada from the express way. Again, I think they may be pretty hurt but they were not dead because I observed them duly. Now guess what those guys would have done to me - Burnt my car, beat me up silly, rob me off my possession and abandon me in pains for an accident I did not create.

So in naija, I will not advise you to wait. If you have the chance zoom off and don't stop.Go park somewhere else and come back on foot to assist.

I like the bolded.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by ignis: 12:48pm On Oct 28, 2014
ramdris:
If u r Sure d person died, don't stop bt rather drive to d nearest police station and report yourself cos stopping might get u mobbed. Bt if u feel d person is still alive,stop and take to d nearest hospital and Later report to the nearest police station as well.

How will you be sure the person is actually dead without stopping?

Besides if you hit and kill somebody without stopping, no matter where you are going, it could get the crowd infuriated and they could give you a hot chase. They won't even give you the chance to explain yourself.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by rebecca167(m): 12:48pm On Oct 28, 2014
Seriously, I will advice any 9ija guy, to run to any police station report yourself close to your way. Bt if na my area dis kind thing occur ...(ABA).. I will seriously advice the innocent people living around that the place the incidence occur, to leave town. Bc the police men will take it as a means to harass and arrest innocent people coming back from work later in the evening...( A day in police cell with 10k bail out will make u understand ABA well.)
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by jahbiz: 12:48pm On Oct 28, 2014
My brother hit a drunk man who jumped on the express road from nowhere, he was so nice to wait and take care of him but the people around almost killed him too. He took the man to the hospital and had to pay 10k @ that spot to revive the drunk man. He was advice by the FMC staff on duty to report the case to police b4 his people dd that they might rope him if they were the 1st to get to police. He reported himself to the nearby police and they almost put him in custody thank God we went to police station with a lawyer he would have slept in police station for reporting himself as a good nigerian..... The police also collected nothing less than 10k o. He spent nothing less than 50k in all plus his precious time being wasted for the drunkness and carelessness of another man and for being a nice man and good nigerian. U know what he will do if something of similar nature happens again.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by lurvy: 12:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
@ OP, Why don't we put more emphasis on prevention

Its far better to emphasize more on safety on the roads than on what to do when an incident has already taken place. Think about the pain suffered by the victim if alive, also think about the life which may be lost.

For instance, as regards the example you gave; if he trailer driver didn't drive recklessly then the lecturer wouldn't have tried to avoid him thereby killing innocent pupils.

If everyone simply uses the sense provided by God to drive carefully, inspect their vehicles often and also respect other road users including pedestrians then accidents will be reduced to the barest minimum!

Its a shame to sometimes see people driving on the road as if one is competing.

I've seen a trailer driver who drove recklessly on a busy road and about 5 minutes after overtaking our vehicle, the driver lost control of the trailer and went to the opposite lane where he climbed over a woman who died on the spot.

Tell me why should people with God-given sense chose to drive recklessly on the road in the first place?

Vehicles, machines , etc are supposed to be used for the benefit of mankind and not the reverse.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Boss13: 12:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
jahbiz:
My brother hit a drunk man who jumped on the express road from nowhere, he was so nice to wait and take care of him but the people around almost killed him too. He took the man to the hospital and had to pay 10k @ that spot to revive the drunk man. He was advice by the FMC staff on duty to report the case to police b4 his people dd that they might rope him if they were the 1st to get to police. He reported himself to the nearby police and they almost put him in custody thank God we went to police station with a lawyer he would have slept in police station for reporting himself as a good nigerian..... The police also collected nothing less than 10k o. He spent nothing less than 50k in all plus his precious time being wasted for the drunkness and careless of man and for being a nice man and good nigerian. U know what he will do if something of similar nature happens again.

A classic naija case. You wait - you get mobbed. You report to the police - you get jail time and bribe your way out. If you believe your car engine and tyres - just tap 120km/hr on first touch then applied 240km/hr on second touch.

4 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by kennosklint(m): 12:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
Kill nd run... grin
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by lordheir: 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
As for me.... i will speed to the Barack When soldiers recruiting
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by NizyO01(f): 12:54pm On Oct 28, 2014
The best thing anyone in their right mind Would normally do is wait and see maybe that life could be saved,but the way these mobs operate,they don't care to find out if the person can still be saved,all they can think of is how to pour their anger and frustration and making a scape goat of the driver..heard of scenerios where a man was burnt alive in his car just for the victim to wake up,which also left them no choice but to throw him in the burning car aswell,or is it a mother who went to pick her daughter from the boarding school,happened to hit someone and was set ablaze in her car with herself and her daughter in it..I would advice a person who finds themselves in that situation to run to the nearest police station,but wasn't that what someone did and met his death,cos there is very little difference between these pple and the police station within their reach.I think it would be better to run to a farther police station or army division,get to the nearest hospital or road safety ambulance for emergency first aid treatment.its better to try to get a chance to clean up ur mess,instead of been lynched before u even get the chance to profer solution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by asha01: 12:54pm On Oct 28, 2014
CityNG:
It's a complex situation.

Folks, Nigeria is not as unique as you folks want to think. Lynching, or severe beating, of drivers after an accident is not unique to Nigeria only and one just happened last week here in Los Angeles. I hate when you guys wants to make Nigeria seems to be a country on Mars. When you deal with emotions with humans then it does not matter what country you're in.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a major crime here in the USA, it's in fact a felony, the highest crime criteria one can commit and up there with murder and manslaughter. Why don't we see more of it in the USA? Because the Police are not only sitting in stations but are out doing vehicular patrols on the street and heavily armed to deter mobs. Mobs also knows that if they mob they would be brought to justice and face severe punishment.

"Neighborhood residents attacked the driver of an ice cream truck after it struck and killed a 7-year-old boy riding a motorized bike in South Los Angeles, authorities said.

The child had been riding alongside the truck on Wednesday when he apparently slipped for an unknown reason and was caught under a rear wheel, police Sgt. Timothy Colson said.

The collision was an accident and the driver, who sustained bruises in the beating, has not been charged, police said. His name was not released.

The driver told police that bricks were thrown at his truck and someone threatened him with a knife. He was taken to a police station for protection. Police were searching for the attackers."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/boy-killed-collision-la-ice-cream-truck-26394246

My other pet peeve is what someone said which is to not apply Nigerian solution to Nigerian problem. This is wrong and backwards in my opinion.

No matter how you cut it, we are Nigerians and we have a say and stake in what happens.

Now off of my soapbox.

When I drive in Nigeria I drive with the outmost care and concern because of issues like this. I bite my tongue and let folks walk all over me, even the murawa and okada, especially okada riders are my boss on the road. They can win while I am in Nigeria because the system of violence supports them and I will just be a dollar sign in front of them or at least someone to take out their frustration on. I was sitting at a joint when I saw an okada (in this instance he was actual in the right) get hit by a car. Within 5 minutes there were about 50 okadas stopped right there. They slapped the driver a few times before some Army personnel stopped to intervene, if not for the army folks who knows what would have happened.

OP, I don't know the proper answer to your question but all I can do is drive defensively and just expect that the pedestrians are on a death wish I continue to let them be the boss of the road until I am sitting in the departure lounge at Murtala. I know the PC answer some wants to hear which is to stop and render aid but we know that is a death sentence in Nigeria, mostly.

To dual citizens like myself, please make sure that you register at the embassy as soon as you are in Nigeria (also try to use your foreign passport to enter Nigeria so that you can be helped, I know for the USA if you don't enter Nigeria with your USA passport you will have limited protection.

If you're also a dual citizen please know where your embassies are so that you can maybe if you're lucky run there after such an accident.

Good luck to all of us.

tremendous experience u have share here. very insightful and worthy contribution. thanks

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by doroboss(m): 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2014
Boss13:

So in naija, I will not advise you to wait. If you have the chance zoom off and don't stop. Go park somewhere else and come back on foot to assist.

Young man I have been searching for you! And finally you have confesssed. I will track you down very soon.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Boss13: 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2014
lurvy:
@ OP, Why don't we put more emphasis on prevention

Its far better to emphasize more on safety on the roads than on what to do when an incident has already taken place. Think about the pain suffered by the victim if alive, also think about the life which may be lost.

This is naija, where people refused to use pedestrian bridges but prefer to dance on express road. This is naija, where commercial drivers and okadas are half awake most of the time. This is naija where people act before they think. So you cannot avoid these carelessness. If you doubt me go to Lekki - Epe express road. The pedestrians would even frown at you for being slow to stop and you know how wide that road is.

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
Be extra vigilant and don't run while.driving especially when u come.to.where there are people
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by condralbede(m): 12:57pm On Oct 28, 2014
2legit2qwt:
The moral thing to do is to call for help and save as many lives as possible. You could be charged with manslaughter if you run away.
Don't just go thr!If u kill person at tiv land Benue state...my friend keep running,don't even go to police because if u r cut.Even a battalion of army can't be of help.I knw a boy they killed just like that,he ran to d police station they entered thr n drag him out,for hitting a man,not knowing that d man was still alive.This is how d young man loss his life.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Lilimax(f): 12:57pm On Oct 28, 2014
MadCow1:
@ Topic...

Are you suggesting that the person should run into the ocean undecided smiley

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

Which driving sch frsc doesn't do driving test before giving any driver license so most ppl learn driving frm frnds n relatives.

Its impossible to drive without ur horn in nigeria its more like drivin in a very dark road without ur headlight on.

Wen we dey even use horn to greet ppl here grin

Nigeria is quite peculiar regardin driving in everyway most pedestrains ll cross d road wen dey shld nt wavin u n forcin u to stop as if dey r one GCFR while others ll walk on d road, traders also display their goods on d road forcin vehicles to use wateva is left of d road angry

Well I love nigeria with all my heart grin n I can't imagine living elsewhere grin its soo must fun living here tongue
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by MadCow1: 12:59pm On Oct 28, 2014
Lilimax:

Are you suggesting that the person should run into the ocean undecided smiley

If you are caught between the Mob and the Ocean, you better pray you wore a bikini under that gown.. grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by amolex(m): 1:01pm On Oct 28, 2014
it is always good to save life and when u can, show some rumours......some people don't do dat rather they begin to justify their driving skills which could provoke anyone around to mobb them
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by folahann(m): 1:01pm On Oct 28, 2014
Just Pray!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Checkout The Features Of The Mercedes-benz 2017 E-class / Man Crushed To Death This Afternoon In Benin City (viewers Discretion Advised) / Ever Since I Bought A Mercedes Benz, It's Been One Trouble To Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.