Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,813 members, 7,806,285 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide (45443 Views)

FG To Take Over Expansion Of Lagos- Badagry Express Way / FG To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge – BPE / FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by xtervaganza(m): 9:16am On Oct 26, 2014
Dear minister of transport, e no go better for you and those wey de follow plan am

Okada is what saves me from traffic when I'm late

Eyin oloshi yi angry

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by chronique(m): 9:16am On Oct 26, 2014
They should ban them on the highway/major ways but not an all round ban as this would lead to a rise in criminal activities.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 26, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Lol. PDP's strategists should be fired. Word on the street is that okadamen in Lagos had vowed to vote out the APC in 2015. Now this. I wonder what Pro01 will say about this.
We know that Bro, this move is to further expose the hypocrisy of the apc, just watch.
PDP aint gonna ban no okada nationwide.
Already fashola has become relaxed in tormenting okada men, hence their presence even on expressways. But too late.

I'd rather vote in the one they thought was clueless to the one who's been confirmed a TERRORIST.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by stinggy(m): 9:20am On Oct 26, 2014
redcliff:

Okada as a means of transport if iam not wrong started in the early 90s. My question to you is this, how were people faring before then? Did they die? No! They still had it done. My only fear is that armed robbery would go back to the days of where thieves just came to your houses to steal tvs, iron and dvd players just to be able to eat. For a population of Nigeria where you have over 200million people and no functioning railway system, then there is something wrong with the government..i tell you.. imagine if Nigeria had a running railway system. You can live in lagos and work in ondo which by an unobstructed railway system would be 1hr..
My line of thought too sire. But alas, we are where we are now. Things have deteriorated and our people has evolved so as to sustain livelihood. I for one want okadas scrapped, totally, but we must get provide jobs albeit petty or risk the unrest that is bound to follow such a pronouncement.
We can't over-emphasize the importance of a functioning rail system, infact it is what we need most at a time like this
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 26, 2014
Amacaco:
Commentators on this issue should understand that this was a decision of the National Council on Transport which comprises all the commissioners, Directors of transport and other stakeholders in the transport industry from the 36 states of the Federation and Abuja including APC and PDP states. So those blaming or praising the Federal government on this should know it is a collective decision of all the states.
yeah but the implementation should not be immediate as the govt across all levels have failed and have no idea on how to engage and absorb unemployed, it should be a gradual phase out! i.e a timeframe in which the operators will switch into other alternatives

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by redcliff: 9:29am On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:

My line of thought too sire. But alas, we are where we are now. Things have deteriorated and our people has evolved so as to sustain livelihood. I for one want okadas scrapped, totally, but we must get provide jobs albeit petty or risk the unrest that is bound to follow such a pronouncement.
We can't over-emphasize the importance of a functioning rail system, infact it is what we need most at a time like this

The safety is just too mad if you include it as dome of its perks.. the number of people that die daily from road accidents should be up to 150k each year you cant have that if the bulk of people use rail transport. i wish i had the power to effect change the way i have experienced it in developed countries..

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by stinggy(m): 9:30am On Oct 26, 2014
lastpage:

!

Nigerians can stop this rot, if they really want to and want it badly enough.
But again, me dont think Nigerians want it badly enough, ...[size=16pt]maybe not just yet![/size] wink wink

Lastpage

You say it all sir
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2014
Do they have an estimated number of okadas we have in this country?
Do they know that some of the okadas are not owned by the person using it to work? Some do "balance and carry" while other balance daily.
Do they know how much an okada cost? Its cost between 120,000 NGN - 150,000 NGN

That aside.
Do they know how much a sound motor cab cost? Dead vehicles (the one that will you cause problems you will start thinking one witch in your village is worrying you.) is about 200,000NGN to 300,000 NGN. Average vehicles cost between 400,000 NGN to 600,000 NGN with less problems. (For this a pastor will pray for you and it will work for you). Good vehicle cost between 700,000 NGN and 1,000,000 NGN with little maintenance. Super cab vehicles cost above 2,000,000 NGN.

This government obvious does not know how many okadas we have in this country, they don't know that some of them feed daily with proceed from the business? What majors will the government put in place to care for them? How much loan will they receive and what will be the use? To procure a new vehicle? What kind of vehicle? How many people are entitled to this loan and how can they get it?

Would they just take the bike from them and allow them go into the streets with guns? Good but bad ideal. Can our law enforcement agencies contain them? If they do? what will they do to them? Kill them or put them in Jail? Is the Government planning to reduce the population by massive killing of her citizens.

If our government are really grass root thinkers, they would know that Stopping Okada transport system is a huge project and not a paper thing. The local governments councils should largely be involved, it is a gradual process.

The problems is with the 3 executives arms of the governments. The politicians, we Nigerians. We are after one thing and nothing else!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by 2scorehigh(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2014
Make dem no try am o...ah ah...na wetin na?!

Before you ban, abeg make you create so many alternatives abi u wan make ruff boys come begin dey disturb me for nite wey I dey sleep?

Hian!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ojimbo(m): 9:32am On Oct 26, 2014
I will be the happiest man on earth to see this dream come through. Okada have kept anambra state in a hopeless condition. instead if making Good roads and widen their roads, the useless govt is busy making narrow roads. never in a day pass without recording a death as a result of Okada accident in Nnewi. God have answered my prayers oooooo
#dancingskelewu
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ojimbo(m): 9:35am On Oct 26, 2014
I will be the happiest man on earth to see this dream come through. Okada have kept anambra state in a hopeless condition. instead if making Good roads and widen their roads, the useless govt is busy making narrow roads. never in a day pass without recording a death as a result of Okada accident in Nnewi. God have answered my prayers oooooo
#dancingskelewu
anambra will be the most affected state, no wide roads, no city shuttles, no town planning. everything is jaga jaga their
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Lucasbalo(m): 9:36am On Oct 26, 2014
legalwealth:
What do they want them to be using to feed their family?
This is a bad step!
Gbam,
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by smokeyupu(m): 9:38am On Oct 26, 2014
Here they come again with policies that are bound to worsen the lives of already deprived and neglected Nigerians.

How come they want to ban a sector that employs / provides a livelihood for over ten million self employed Nigerians without creating a tried / tested replacement for those affected to fall back on. This only shows gross incompetence and wickedness on the part of our decision makers. It also reveals their distance from the realities on the ground in the Nigeria they are supposed to be ruling.

There are towns in this nation where taxis / tricycles have been tasted and found unviable. Otukpo in Benue state is a perfect example. "Okadas" are the only reasonable means of movement in such a situation. what do they want the people to do if motorcycles are suddenly removed?

Decision makers should always as a guide carry out an "IMPACT ASSESSMENT" of plans before executing such. PROS & CONS must be carefully reviewed prior rolling out the plans.

The claimed that the recent automotive policy has created over 700,000 jobs is blatant lie. Fewer vehicles are being cleared at the ports daily compared to pre-policy. Assembled cars can only be bought by companies / banks / government. Cost of "Tokunbo" has risen astronomically cos of rise in tariff.

Government decision makers should take a great look before leaping lest they put us all into the great abyss. Nigerians have endured.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by oniconx: 9:39am On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

. Nigeriams and President bashing! Mostly out of ignorance This is not a GEJ proposal or idea or something he might eventually support. Give dis man a break folks. The Natiomal Council onTransport is a conglomeration of all stakeholders in the transport sector including all state commissioners of transport Apc and Pdp states. The president is not even a member and here you are already bashing him as if it is his idea. God save us from ourselve.Nigeria would overcome.Amen
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Sibabasibaba1: 9:41am On Oct 26, 2014
As usual, many people have started cursing the federal government without knowing how the decision came about. National Council on Transport comprises the transport ministries of all the states. The Minister of Transport is only the chairman.

What this means is that both APC and PDP states took the decision since the Minister of Transport read the council's decision. So, hold your states responsible for the proposed plan and not the FG.

Unfortunately, the journalist who wrote this report is not knowledgeable enough to know the constitution of the council.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by onihaxy: 9:42am On Oct 26, 2014
idris4r83:
another good reason to vote out GEJ come 2015

Did I hear you say "banning commercial motorcycle nationwide" is another reason to vote out GEJ?, tell me, was it gej or pdp party that started it in lagos since 2012?.

I'm not a sympathiser of any party but I hate it when some people try to attach an evil to a party as if there own party is clean. The more the "lies propaganda", the more I hate this party called "APC"
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ojimbo(m): 9:46am On Oct 26, 2014
ghost1718:
if them try am, thief GO plenty for we country oh FG THE BEST THING IS TO HANDLE THEM BY GIVING THEM LAW AND RULES THY WILL UNDERSTAND THAN THAT
my dear. Nigerians are lawless and foolish. get that in your mind
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by stinggy(m): 9:48am On Oct 26, 2014
redcliff:

The safety is just too mad if you include it as dome of its perks.. the number of people that die daily from road accidents should be up to 150k each year you cant have that if the bulk of people use rail transport. i wish i had the power to effect change the way i have experienced it in developed countries..
We all wish sir, believe me. The death rate as a result of bike crashes is maddening, but yet, are the people ready?
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by supereagle(m): 9:55am On Oct 26, 2014
Fresh air hardship till 2019. Many Graduates are doing this business as a means of surviving unemployment.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 26, 2014
2sexi:
shut da fvck up... Didn't APC ban it in Lagos? Rubbish!

Onlybin the state nd not the whole country
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by brownlord: 9:57am On Oct 26, 2014
Let him foolishly ban okada now and not like my state governor who bought bike and helmet to campaign and ban bike after winning election.

I hope jonathan implement this before election and see if he can get up to 5 million vote.

Nonsence there are some places vehicle don't get to, the only means of transportation is okada apart from the factt that it employs millions of people who they unable to provide job for
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 26, 2014
ojimbo:
my dear. Nigerians are lawless and foolish. get that in your mind

Lawless but not foolish
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by smallgod(m): 10:02am On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

I totally agree with you Stinggy. Yes, Okada riders create a great deal of problems for other motorists and boarding an okada is a most unsafe thing to do. However, it provides a much-needed means of livelihood for the poor and for that reason I don't believe we are ready for such a ban yet. The opportunities for a poor person in Nigeria to pull himself out of penury are very few and the ban on okada would further reduce these opportunities and leave millions of people with no choice but to go into a life of crime. MAN MUST EAT!!!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by lawrenceunaa: 10:03am On Oct 26, 2014
words undecided this policemen and soldiers will still ride the ceased motor cycles shocked
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 26, 2014
The nigerian government is insensitive so what do u expect, they should keep passing meaningless bills in their aircon offices. Really the senate are not representing their constituency, they only represent their selfish desires and goals. I wonder why people keep voting in these narcissistic human beings.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by getukudo(m): 10:06am On Oct 26, 2014
People will get used to it, when they banned it Calabar everyone screamed that 'How will the poor survive?' But the good Lord that we serve brought back our Plumbers, Carpenters, Electricians, Vulcanizers, Barbers, MC Compere's etc...Hahaha! it's a welcome development if implemented, believe me people have gotten so used to it here in Calabar that we barely even remember that there used to be bikes around. It's Nigerians nature to always complain, but we'll get used to it.

Happy Sunday NLERS.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2014
Amanwulu1:
wen so many of d riders have not been provided wit any alternative job. Na armed robbers n petty thieves una wan manufacture b dat.my hand no dey am o!
but ur leg dey am nah!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by experimentist: 10:07am On Oct 26, 2014
Clueless decision from a cluesless president at a clueless time..

Buhari 2015!

TANdroids os 0.6 don't quote!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 26, 2014
prince3009:

Come sef...this cramjones...whose side are you on? You were pro apc the other time and shifted to pdp and now, you are clamoring for a ban on pdp again. Cramjones: Confused since 2003!
what do u expect from a crack addict

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 26, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Lol. PDP's strategists should be fired. Word on the street is that okadamen in Lagos had vowed to vote out the APC in 2015. Now this. I wonder what Pro01 will say about this.

At this point it is only a recommendation. It hasn't been ratified, which means that it is not yet a matter of policy. I'm 100% sure that the president would not ratify the recommendation.

The fact remains that it is impossible to ban Okadas at this point or even in the near future. We simply do not have the transport infrastructure and affordable alternatives that will make okadas irrelevant. I can understand this policy in places like Abuja where taxis are numerous and affordable, with a good road network. Not places like Lagos or other states where taxi fares are ridiculously expensive and the roads are a big mess.

All states and the Federal Capital Territory have therefore been advised to establish a public transport system that ensure strict regulation of the operation of public passenger transportation system through a well-articulated management
system for enhanced safety, security, effective and efficient service delivery,” the statement said.

It added, “The states are to also develop master plans for the development of intelligent transport system to facilitate the development and management of their transport operations in line with emerging trends and global best practices.

Should this not be in place FIRST before making any attempt to ban okadas? Why put the cart before the horse? In fact, will okadas not die a natural death (without the need for an outright ban) if the various state governments implement "intelligent" and efficient transport systems?

With due respect, the nitwits on that so-called National Council on Transport are detached from reality, and they have no business recommending nonsense to anybody. The presidency and the PDP know better than take those clowns seriously.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by condi1704(m): 10:16am On Oct 26, 2014
Nonsense! Rubbish! it can Neva hold water. Write it down. Finished Government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

25 Abbreviations You Must Know About / Trailer Load Of Jonathan/sambo Rice Involved In Accident / What Is Wrong With This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.