Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,427 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

The Skywalker Series - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Skywalker Series (15011 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 3:55pm On Dec 16, 2014

Later that morning I witnessed The Pit attain its fullest ever capacity. The arena was filled to the brim and people were jostling to get inside. Men,Women,Boys and Girls all sat down all around the arena talking in hushed tones,fear and uncertainty unmistakably showing on their faces.

In the centre of the arena lay the fallen King, still covered in that same turban. That cursed turban.

The seemingly uncontrollable noise died down when Ochiagha Ohaeto stepped into the heart of the arena and motioned for silence. All was calm.

Then he began to speak.

Far away from the corpse and the General,
perching behind one of the four pillars of the Pit,were me and Aninye,confused and scared witless. We were afraid because if Akaeze's dead body was discovered, it was the beginning of the end for both of us.

I turned to look at Aninye. By God,she still looked beautiful,even if she was dishvelled and afraid. She bit her fingernails as if she had nothing to eat in the past three market days. She looked lost. Her eyes were already red from crying.

Then the unexpected happened.

She stood straight, looking with intent across the arena. I followed her eyes,but could see nothing.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" She screamed.

I looked again.

Then I saw,saw what Anyanwu made me dread.

On the pavement overlooking the arena, looking like death itself,was the Ayradan.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 2:02am On Dec 17, 2014
Merry Christmas everyone!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 2:35am On Dec 17, 2014

"A day of sadness is here!" Ochiagha Ohaeto began.

Many of the women began stifling their tears. Men shook their heads in utter disbelief.

" It has come upon us like a mad man forcibly trying to have carnal knowledge of a damsel! Our Enemies have struck again! They have taken the crown off our heads,our shoes off our feet,and our robe off our bodies!"

The sniffs and the sobs grew a little louder.

"King Ani was one of the greatest sons of Idumuje,always ready to quash any problem facing his subjects. To have him taken from us? In this horrible manner? Kidnapped like a slave and slayed like a mongrel? This is cruelty from the High God!"

The sobs graduated into high-pitched wails. Ochiagha Ohaeto looked around him and motioned for quiet. The wails went back to being sobs.

"But we will not sit idle. No. Our forefathers fought the battle of Carthage four hundred rains ago, side by side with these Tuareg urchins! They can not mistake our loyalty for cowardice!"

The men audibly supported his statement with roars.

" As the highest ranking Ochiagha of the King's War Cabinet, it behoves on me to salvage what is left of our pride. You remember that a moon ago, Akalazu reminded us all about our dangerous position with these dogs. He says that we prepare for war. Today, I say that we start cutting down our enemies!"

As expected, a deafening roar swept around the arena.

I had been standing for close to three minutes with Aninye, watching the Ayradan silently observe proceedings. It seemed the creature had a mind of its own. I could feel my muscles twitch. True,I felt fear,but that fear seemed supplanted by dread. A stupid wish that all of this never happened. I wished Anyanwu was here with me,in this trying time,I longed for his angry voice and fatherly companionship. Inexplicably he had been missing from the arena. For what reason I do not know.

With Ochiagha Ohaeto's last statement, I spiritually sensed bloodlust flow through the arena like a tidal wave. And then my heart sank. This was one of the many things the Ayradan fed on.

I looked up to see it jumping down from the pavement overlooking the arena,through the air to the ground towards Ochiagha Ohaeto and the dead King.

1 Like

Re: The Skywalker Series by fhunkhy(f): 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2014
Wahala dey. Athanatos keep it up. U r too good
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 12:33am On Dec 21, 2014

Time seemed to stand still.

The Ayradan landed,raising a cloud of dust. People strained their necks to see what fool was playing foolish games during a time of great mourning. Alas,they were in for the shock of their lives.

The cloud of dust faded away,revealing the Ayradan in its deadly glory. Pandemonium broke loose. People scattered in different directions.

Ochiagha Ohaeto stood transfixed to a spot,not believing what his eyes had seen.

"Surely this beast is a creation of the dark arts." he muttered,drawing his sword to do battle.

The Ayradan seemed to size him up,and seeing that Ohaeto was no match for it,drew back in mockery. It was not after mere mortals. It came for me,for my gall.

From nowhere,a foot soldier who seemed like a glory hunter ran toward the beast,battle-ready. He threw his spear at the Ayradan,and the next thing that happened left me gasping in horror.

In one fell swoop,the beast deflected the spear and threw its paws at the soldier,and off came his head.

Ohaeto,on seeing what happened,came to the conclusion that fighting the beast would be futile. But it was too late. He only took two steps when the beast caught him by his armour and held him aloft,like a child would hold an egg. It had changed his mind. It would make a hefty meal out of the villagers,starting with these two,and then come for me. It was about to start chewing Ohaeto when I heard a voice.

"Leave him alone,you creature from the bowel of evil! Come,let us do battle!"

I was surprised to find out that the voice was mine,and I was more surprised to find out that I was walking toward the beast with no fear.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 12:35am On Dec 21, 2014
fhunkhy:
Wahala dey. Athanatos keep it up. U r too good
Thank you very much ma. I appreciate!
Re: The Skywalker Series by emarkson(m): 12:58am On Dec 21, 2014
bros u too much. But d update it short, make it longer pls
Re: The Skywalker Series by emarkson(m): 12:58am On Dec 21, 2014
bros, u too much. But d update it short, make it longer pls
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 10:03am On Dec 21, 2014
emarkson:
bros, u too much. But d update it short, make it longer pls
Thanks bruh,will do that!
Re: The Skywalker Series by fhunkhy(f): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
Thanks for dat.longer updates tnx
Re: The Skywalker Series by fhunkhy(f): 3:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
update for us naw. merry xmas
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 8:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
fhunkhy:
update for us naw. merry xmas
Merry Xmas to you too! Will update by midnight. Watch this space.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 11:13pm On Dec 24, 2014

"Amadi! Come back! It'll kill you!" Aninye called.

For a second, I saw the surprised look on Ochiagha Ohaeto's eyes as I walked past his crouching figure and the body of the dismembered soldier toward the Ayradan.

"Amadi! This is madness!" She warned.

I was angry,angry at the fact that this vile creature gruesomely ended the life of that soldier whose body lay without a head, that this...this beast came all the way from the Tuareg empire to kill me. Well, I had tolerated enough. Its time to face your destiny head on,I told myself.

"Amadi! Think!" She yelled.

Suddenly I felt something leave my body. Seconds later,I saw myself standing with Aninye,who had been trying to restrain me. Funny enough,she did not know the powers that lay inside me untapped.
I looked further,and I saw myself standing in front of the Ayradan.

Then I knew.

My spirit had left my body behind.

It is called The Seperation.

I watched,amazed as the beast shrank back in horror,seeing lightning sparks on the outstretched palms of my spirit being. It sought for escape,but alas, I struck it with a thunderbolt. It dodged,and leapt towards me. I struck again.

And I hit the target.

The thunderbolt sent it flying sky high, and it landed with a deafening thud. I turned to see Aninye open her mouth wide in amazement. She now knew, I concluded.

That instant, I felt myself being pulled toward my body with immortal speed. I opened my eyes to see the beast lying lifeless, a big gash cutting across its abdomen. Then a horse trotted in,with a cloaked rider. He jumped down from the horse and walked briskly toward me. He stopped a short distance away and removed the cloak. It was Anyanwu.

"You have been found out. The Ayradan might be dead,but your magical firepower has been put to use. Right now,the Tuareg armies of the seven provinces are preparing to march against us. You have no time. Take this horse, and take her" he paused, pointing to Aninye, "to Ozuzu. The Chief Priest will welcome you with open arms. You will continue your training there." He concluded, motioning me toward the horse. It was white in colour and it looked glorious.

"Take this map." He said,squeezing a scroll into my hands, "and ride as fast as you can to Ozuzu. The stormclouds are gathering overhead, and I want you to be ready to face the powers of the dark."
Re: The Skywalker Series by ubjunior10(m): 11:44pm On Dec 24, 2014
Love The Combo Of Fantasy Nd Traditional Plot
Re: The Skywalker Series by Sirnuel: 5:37pm On Dec 25, 2014
Nice job... Keep it up
So when is the next update??
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 6:48pm On Dec 25, 2014
Sirnuel:
Nice job... Keep it up
So when is the next update??
Midnight sir.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
ubjunior10:
Love The Combo Of Fantasy Nd Traditional Plot
Thank You sir!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Sirnuel: 11:42pm On Dec 25, 2014
Athanatos:
Midnight sir.

Aiit anticipating
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 4:34am On Dec 26, 2014

I felt some measure of relief on realization of the fact that I had slain the Ayradan, though I didn't know how. I couldn't produce a lightning spark, nor use my thunder. Not in the least. That alone got me worried, and that fact alone made me look forward to the long journey to Ozuzu.

Nothing gave me joy more than seeing the dazed look on Ochiagha Ohaeto's face after the Ayradan had fallen. He didn't know what to believe - He only mumbled a few words abacout me joining the army,which Anyanwu promptly dismissed,telling him I wasn't ready in the slightest. Heartbreaking was the sight of Mother and Oma before I left the city. Mother couldn't come to terms with everything that happened, and I can't say I blame her - it all happened too fast for her to assimilate. The force with which she tightly gripped my hand and the tears that danced around her eyes made me have second thoughts. Oma, on the other hand was more enthusiastic about my journey ,telling me that everyone in town heard about what happened. That I had assumed hero status. He made me realise one thing: Brothers may not get along fine,but they always stand by each other in trying times.

Aninye... What else can I say? She is still the on-and-off damsel I met at the Pit a moon ago. She seems friendly this minute,and she's distant the next,but she'll come around. At least she might get to know me when we get to Ozuzu, beacause it'll be just the two of us... And that's exactly what I need.

These thoughts filled my head and coursed through my heart as I rode past the City gates and into the dark, toward an uncertain future with certain feelings. Ozuzu was the destination.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 4:44am On Dec 26, 2014
Apologies-I slept off. One more update for the morning.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 5:06am On Dec 26, 2014
Addendum 2

"Apologies my Lord! I know I am inexcusably late, but I assure that this is an occurrence that will never repeat itself" he sang, walking into the war chamber without any care in the world.

"Sit down, Baqqar. We are already behind time" A voice from the Crown Seat replied.

"Give this hallowed chamber your report" the voice commanded.

Baqqar produced a scroll which he unfurled on the table.

"The Scimitar has slain the Ayradan,the Lion of the Underworld" Baqqar announced, almost wishing he had not.

Shouts of surprise ran through the room.

"But it is not over yet. As our armies march across the Great Desert and from other provinces to annihilate these savages, a gladiator like no other is going to bring back the Scimitar's head" Baqqar cooed.

"And how can that be?" One of the Generals asked.

"It will happen because he is the Greatest Warrior that the Tuareg Empire has seen in the last fifty rains!"

"Wait, are you speaking of Razak?" The General quizzed.

"No other, friend,can get us the head of this little runt. Now come, we have a war to prepare for."
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 1:20am On Dec 28, 2014
Addendum 3

Baqqar looked furtively around. The look in his eyes was that of long-awaited victory. He walked gingerly,with an extra spring in his step. He would help himself to some wine and food from the Royal Kitchen. Tonight the Crown listened to him. Tonight the Empire approved his war template;they would use it. How else could this get better,he mused. After they would have crushed the savages,his rank would exponentially rise,he was sure of that.

"Othman!" He called,regaining regal composure on walking into his chambers in the Royal Court.

"You called,my Lord?" Othman bowed.

"Bring me the young man who sits beneath the palace" He ordered,waving him off.

He had his reasons for keeping Razak in the Palace Castle basement. If the Crown had perhaps rejected his idea,he would easily give him safe passage out of Hoggar,the Empire Capital. Apparently there wouldn't be any need for that.

"You called me,my Lord?" A huge young man with a gash on his cheek asked,sauntering into the room with an air of confident reverence.

"I did. As you may know,Lord Shaitan,The Crown,wishes you to go ahead with the project." He said,his face widening into a benign,fatherly smile,a rarity for Baqqar.

"I am indeed grateful,my Lord." Razak replied,getting down on one knee to pay obeisance.

"This is your chance to make yourself a god amongst the Provinces Of The Empire. I take it you know what you must do." Baqqar advised.

"Yes my Lord."

"What is it?"

"Ending the Scimitar and finding the Celestial Orb"

"Good. Your horse is waiting outside. You leave this moment. The Palace Sorcerer says he is heading for a small town called Ozuzu,not far from the Nri pass. Stop him before he acquires any more knowledge about his power."

Razak smiled.

"Surely,I will not fail Lord Shaitan nor the Empire. The Scimitar's head is mine."

1 Like

Re: The Skywalker Series by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
keep up the good job bro.

nice write-ups
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 12:24am On Jan 01, 2015
haydot95:
keep up the good job bro.

nice write-ups
Thank you so much!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 12:25am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy New Year everyone!!!! Have a prosperous 2015!!!!!!!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 12:35am On Jan 01, 2015
Regular Updates from Jan.2nd... Watch the space!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 7:24am On Jan 02, 2015
.....................................Update 100% loading
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 7:26am On Jan 02, 2015

We arrived Ozuzu at midnight, three days after we sojourned from Idumuje. Luckily for us,the journey was smooth and free of any hitch,but the fact that Aninye still kept to herself most of the time gave me a cause to worry.

We arrived at the City Gates just in time to see Ozuzu in its glory: a city filled with many shrines and worship places,unlike Idumuje. It could pass for a spiritualist resort,going by the preponderance of medicine men,sorcerers and necromancers. Simply put,the City was filled with Magic.

A few minutes of asking around for the Shrine of the Chief Priest of Ozuzu,and we were on our way. In a short while,we drew rein in front of his magnificent timber home with a tip that stretched forth toward the heavens.

I lighted my torch,got down from the horse with Aninye,and we made for the gates. They were made of fine cedar,the finest I had ever seen in my short period of existence. I lifted my hand to knock on the gate when,as if anticipating our arrival,the gates flew open.

For some time,I stood ,shellshocked. Then I stepped in,and Aninye followed suit. I looked to the right and I saw a frightening inscription written in Nsibidi Language. It read:

THE WORKINGS OF THE HIGH GOD ARE MYSTERIES
THAT MORTALS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.
IF YOU BE PURE OF HEART,COME HITHER,
IF YOU BE EVIL,COME TO YOUR DEATH,
CHOOSE.

I flinched, aware of Aninye's steady stare on the inscription,then I realised.
She thinks herself a murderer because of Akaeze's death and that makes her evil. I took two steps toward the house,then I noticed I was walking alone.

"Aninye come on,we haven't got time!"

"I'm evil. I can't go in there." She replied,fixing me a steady stare.

"You were defending yourself! Think!" I pressed on,trying to win her over.

"Listen,there's no need to argue. I'd find accomodation within the City. I don't want to die,at least not yet."

"What powerful soul has set foot on the sands of the Eye of Ozuzu?" A small voice asked,breaking the heated argument I was getting into.

I was lost for words. I turned,and I couldn't see the owner of the voice.

"Tell the damsel to come in,she has done no wrong" the voice commanded.

After a little hesitation,Aninye came with me into the compound. It was really big. We were lost,for we did not know where the voice may have been coming from.

"Come to the posterior part of the building." The voice directed.

I was still trying to figure out how the owner of the voice could talk to us from distance. Surely this form of magic is advanced,I thought.

We went round the large building to the back,only to discover a big shrine dedicated to the High God. At the entrance sat someone cloaked in white,sitting quietly in meditation. We walked toward the person and stopped a short distance away.

"Errrrm... Greetings?" I managed to mutter.

That instant the cloaked person jumped from her sitting position and stood before us,removing the cloak.

And for the next few seconds,I stood at a spot in awe.

It was a girl.

And she was so pretty.

"By God!" I yelped,albeit trying not to show that I was awe-stricken.

"Greetings!" The girl answered,displaying a smile that made me want to fall to my knees in worship. She was a fast talker as well.

"Thank God that this 7-day meditation period is over,at least I can think of having fun!" She chimed,speaking too fast we couldn't hear her.

"Errrm...You say?" I asked,trying to catch at least a word that escaped her cute lips.

"Oh,don't worry! My name's Mmagwu, and I've been monitoring your movements since you came into the city. No,don't panic,the Chief Priest asked me to do it to ensure that you are safe. Now he cannot wait to see you. Come with me."

1 Like

Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 7:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
Update Loading .................100%
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 7:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
Addendum 4

The tavern was empty. Osunbor heaved a sigh of relief. The day's work was over. He would clean up,shut down the tavern and run home to his mother. He thought about his love interest,Ereko.
Today he would have time to go over to her place and see her. His master Odion sat down,directing him.

"Take that basin outside and pour the water away." Odion ordered.

He obediently obliged,and took the water basin out the back door to dispose. That saved his life.

Almost immediately,the tavern doors swung open,and a huge figure wearing a cloak stepped in. Luckily,Osunbor chose to stand by the door and watch things happen from the dark.

"You own this place?" The cloaked stranger asked.

"Yes,what do you want?" Master Odion queried,looking unperturbed.

"I need a drink." The cloaked stranger replied.

"We're closed for the day, I can arrange you a drink,but it'll cost you 10 cowries." Master Odion replied.

"Get me a gourd." The stranger ordered.

Master Odion turned round to summon Osunbor when the unexpected happened.

The huge cloaked stranger flashed his sword and struck Master Odion,seperating his head from his body. He struck so hard that Master Odion's head flew out the back door and rolled to a stop at Osunbor's feet. Those bulging eyes,that big nose...his master! Dead!

He turned to see the cloaked stranger open the sale boxes and carry all the money from the day's sales. He stuffed them in a sack.

Then he took off his cloak.

And he turned toward the back door.

Osunbor silently prayed that the stranger did not see him.

The stranger turned, smiled at the darkness that for a moment Osunbor thought he had been found out.

He ducked away from the door and took deep breaths. When he peeped again the murderous bandit was gone.

He ran as fast as his legs could carry him. He would tell anybody who cared to know that he saw a stranger who spilled blood in the Akpava colony of the Tuareg Empire,known throughout the empire for uncommon peace.

Most of all,he would tell his mother that this huge bloodthirsty bandit had a gash across his cheek.
Re: The Skywalker Series by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 04, 2015
Either u see comments or not...ur updates just flows,u re the best man!
Re: The Skywalker Series by Athanatos(m): 11:36am On Jan 04, 2015
haydot95:
Either u see comments or not...ur updates just flows,u re the best man!
I'm honoured,brother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reading Habits You Shouldn’t Take Into The New Year / Do Animals Think?? / Best Books You've Read This Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.