Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,930 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

All Sins Are Equal? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Sins Are Equal? (4841 Views)

Some Say All Sins Are Equal, Others Disagree. Nairalanders, Your Thought On It. / All Men Are Equal Under God? / Are All Sins Equal In The Eyes of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2006
When God said this, i don't mean he meant a sin like killing somebody and stealing a sweet are the same. I think he meant it in terms of both sins are disobeying him regardless of how big, or small, its still a disobedience. Share your views!
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 7:09pm On Aug 04, 2006
I don't think he meant**
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by LiquidMind(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2006
Sin, pass sin oO, they are not equal

We have sin
We have transgression
We have iniquity
We have abomination
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by dondele(m): 7:59pm On Aug 04, 2006
it is equal in the sense of disobedience only not in the gravity of the offense cuzz rape and lying aint the same level.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 8:04pm On Aug 04, 2006
dondele:

it is equal in the sense of disobedience only not in the gravity of the offense cuzz rape and lying aint the same level.

Yeah, i agree
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by jagunlabi(m): 11:48am On Aug 05, 2006
Sin get level.
Only religious psychopaths and perverts can rank the sin of taking an innocent life with stealing sweet.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kenshin(m): 2:16am On Aug 06, 2006
interesting, I am persuaded that God is no respecter of persons, If you sin, you are in essence disobeying God, so if you steal sweets, rape, or even commit murder as long as that person does not make right with God, The end result is death Roms 6:23, for the wages of sin is death
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Ironside: 7:21am On Aug 06, 2006
Are all sins equal? Yes and No.

Yes, in the sense that every single sin in whatever degree they may be in brings eternal damnation.

No. In the sense that there are gravities of sin.

1Jo 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

I know there is a debate concerning this "death" here. Is it physical death or spiritual death? I take the former. But the point is, there is a sin leading to death.

Mt 12:31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? it's when you resolutely with finality resist the woings and pleadings of the Holy Spirit to come to Christ.

A parallel in the Old Testament is:

Isa 22:14 Then it was revealed in my hearing by the LORD of hosts, "Surely for this iniquity there will be no atonement for you, Even to your death," says the Lord GOD of hosts.

The people did not turn away from their sins and instead they set their hearts all the more to it. And have come to a place of no return and so God utterd this horrible statement.

it's not that God refuses to forgive. it's because these people have so decided that they will embrace sin than God till they die. God saw it in thier hearts thus the words.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kamsy(f): 12:10pm On Aug 07, 2006
All sins are equal in the sight of God. The consequences and Penalty are also eqaul in the sight of God.'' For the wages of sin is death , "Rom 6 23.HELL FIRE is the end point cept you get bornagain that is the only way you can run away from it. It can be likened to people working in the same company but in different department. the truth is that they all work in the same company of sin but in different department like dept of lying, Dept of fornication, Dept of adultery, Dept of malice, Dept of 419, Dept of raping, Dept of bearing false witness Dept of dis and that name it anthing wrong in the eyes of God.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by 4getme1(m): 3:26pm On Aug 07, 2006
Good point, LiquidMind.

It's true that the Bible makes clear that all sins are not equal. Some sins are forgiveable and some are not. Most religions view sins differently. Islam also has a belief in "forgiveable" and "unforgiveable" sins, and the method of dealing with them are different from the way these are dealt with in other religions.

Another thing that crosses my mind is that in Catholicism, sins are classified as either "venial" (that is, pardonable) or "mortal" (heinous and deadly) sins. It does not appear that Catholic tradition deals with sins in a clear-cut Biblical context of "forgiveable" and "unforgiveable" sins.

On the whole, whatever is the understanding we have on the subject, we should pursue righteousness and shun sin in all its forms; not even allowing any such in our lives under the excuse that they are "forgiveable".
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2006
LiquidMind:

Sin, pass sin oO, they are not equal

We have sin
We have transgression
We have iniquity
We have abomination

Hey LiquidMind,

Can you explain exactly what each of these are and examples if possible. Or any1??
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Ka: 8:41pm On Aug 07, 2006
"Yes, in the sense that every single sin in whatever degree they may be in brings eternal damnation."

Then that's it really. All sins are equal. What's the point in talking about 'gravities of sin' when they all carry the same punishment? I might as well not waste my time trying to commit only a 'small' sin when I can knock myself out and kill, steal, rape, lie, steal again, kill again, etc.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2006
Ka:

"Yes, in the sense that every single sin in whatever degree they may be in brings eternal damnation."

Then that's it really. All sins are equal. What's the point in talking about 'gravities of sin' when they all carry the same punishment? I might as well not waste my time trying to commit only a 'small' sin when I can knock myself out and kill, steal, rape, lie, steal again, kill again, etc.

But the sins you commit have worldly concequences too as well as God's concequences. So you can't look at it this way.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 8:51pm On Aug 07, 2006
I hardly think stealing 10p from my mums pennie jar would put me in hell!
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kenshin(m): 12:42am On Aug 08, 2006
Softee:

I hardly think stealing 10p from my mums pennie jar would put me in hell!
You would be suprised at the things that have taken people to hell smiley smiley
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 1:19am On Aug 08, 2006
kenshin:

You would be suprised at the things that have taken people to hell smiley smiley

, Amd how many people do you know thats gone to hell! lol tongue

Nah God is a fair God, he will probably punish me in a small way for stealing 10p just so i no its wrong and the accept me as his child again.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kenshin(m): 1:24am On Aug 08, 2006
I point is it's not the stuff you steal that takes you to hell, it's the act of stealing itself
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 1:27am On Aug 08, 2006
Not every sin brings eternal damnation, and that is clear in God's Word. Thieves, prostitutes and liars have been forgiven after repenting; but no repentance secures forgiveness when one commits the blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

Paul was a blasphemer and was forgiven (I Tim. 1:13); most of the Corinthian Christians were fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners - but God forgave, washed, sanctified and justified them after they had repented and believed in Jesus Christ (I Cor. 6:9-11).

A small sin is as heinous as a big one, and as 4get_me said, we should not excuse any sin on the notion that it is 'forgiveable'. If I stole as much as a fiver and another stole as small as a 5p, if we don't repent of that sin and excuse it away, judgement is sure. May God help us to pursue after righteousness and shun the idea of petty thefts.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 1:28am On Aug 08, 2006
kenshin:

I point is it's not the stuff you steal that takes you to hell, it's the act of stealing itself

I guess your right. But i still belive that above all God sees the heart.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kenshin(m): 1:31am On Aug 08, 2006
That is why the bible says "God is not willing that any should perish but come to repentance"
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 1:44am On Aug 08, 2006
Just so that we don't misunderstand Paul's blasphemy in I Tim. 1:13, let's look at what the Lord Jesus said -

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." (Matt. 12:31).

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven." (Luke 12:10).

Question: which 'blasphemy' was Paul refering to in I Tim. 1:13? It is clear that he did not blaspheme against the Holy Ghost, but as we read in Acts, he was blasphemous against Christ. With contempt and reproaches, He had reviled the name of Christ in opposing Him, His Church and His cause, not previously believing that He was the Messiah. This is indeed clear in Acts 26:9-11 where he gave his testimony to the fact -

I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

So, in context, Paul was not blaspheming against the Holy Ghost, but against the name of Jesus Christ - and he did it in ignorance as in 1 Tim. 1:13.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Softee(f): 2:02am On Aug 08, 2006
How do you sin against the holy spirit?
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by kamsy(f): 12:59pm On Aug 08, 2006
what is blasphemy against the holy spirit?
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 2:32pm On Aug 08, 2006
Lol, Softee. . . I'd rather the question was rephrased as kamsy has it. You don't want to know how to sin against the holy Spirit; rather, it would be better to know what it is to sin against Him. Let's quote the text that underscores what the Lord Jesus meant by this -

Mark 3:28-30
Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. (compare the other passages in Matt. 12:24-32 and Luke 12:10).

The religious leaders of the day accused Jesus of casting out demons by the prince of demons - Beelzebub (see Mark 3:22). In the text above, we learn that the Lord spoke those words to them about the terrible sin of blasphemy against the holy Ghost for one reason - "Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit." Thus, to refer to God's holy Spirit as an unclean spirit is a terrible sin and constitutes blasphemy against Him.

May God Himself keep our hearts and minds from this terrible sin.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by wormedup(m): 2:39pm On Aug 08, 2006
if a constant murderer ends up in the same place with someone who steals 5cents, what's the point saying one sin is grosser than the other ?
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 4:10pm On Aug 08, 2006
Well, that's because the Lord Jesus clearly made a distinction between sins, when in John19:11 we read: "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin."

It was bad enough that Pilate pressumed to exercise judicial power over the divine Son of God for no sin in Him; but it was even worse that someone should deliver Him to be condemned to death without a conviction of sin.

Besides, as we have seen, there are some sins which could be forgiven; and others which have no forgiveness. It's not really up to us to form arbitrary rules for codifying them - rather, God's Word has demonstrated this distinction between the types of sins anyone could commit and their consequences.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by wormedup(m): 5:02pm On Aug 08, 2006
i believe every sin is forgivable under God's eyes, once u have the heart to really ask for fogiveness.

what i am asking is, what's the point in differentiating the magnitude of sins when the consequencies for ALL sins are the same ??
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2006
Well, I wouldn't know how to address your enquiry other than to point out that God's Word in very fact indicates the difference and magnitude in sins. The ultimate consequence may be the same in terms of eternal separation from God - if the sin is unrepented of before the death of the person involved.

There again, you may be persuaded that every sin is forgiveable under God's eyes; but does that include the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? I don't think one can argue round the words of the Lord Jesus. There are clearly sins that are forgiveable as long as the person involved repents and seeks God's mercy. However, that should not make anyone disregard the warning and distinction God makes in His Word about "forgiveable" and "unforgiveable" sins.

When you begin to address the issue from the perspective of how sins are dealt with in both the OT and NT, you see there are differences in earthly and eternal consequences. I would rather offer that we take time to look more closely in what the Scriptures directly stipulate than be carried along by our personal reasonings. Blessings.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Mystique(f): 6:32pm On Aug 08, 2006
According to the bible, all sins are equal,

There is no where in the bible where sins are graded,

but the human mind sees it differently, It is the human mind that now decides to grade these sins

***Datz why people get life for murder, and just a few years for burglary***
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 8:06pm On Aug 08, 2006
Mystique:

There is no where in the bible where sins are graded,

"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven." (Luke 12:10).

"Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." (John 19:11).

"If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death." (1 John 5:16-17).

(a) There is a sin unto death (b) and there is a sin not unto death.

"And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree" (Deut. 21:22).

"Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD: for men abhorred the offering of the LORD" (1 Sam 2:17).

"If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him?" (1 Sam. 2:25).

"For he rent Israel from the house of David; and they made Jeroboam the son of Nebat king: and Jeroboam drave Israel from following the LORD, and made them sin a great sin." (2 Kings 17:21).
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by Alexos(m): 11:17am On Aug 09, 2006
Look, If a man steals a sweet and another commits adultery, When Judgment come, they will all face the same consiquencies.
Re: All Sins Are Equal? by barikade: 1:10pm On Aug 09, 2006
Alexos:

Look, If a man steals a sweet and another commits adultery, When Judgment come, they will all face the same consiquencies.

Under the Mosaic Law -

Exo. 20:14 >> Thou shalt not commit adultery. Exo 20:15 >> Thou shalt not steal.

Stealing
Exo. 22:1, 4 >> If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. . . If the theft be certainly found in his hand alive, whether it be ox, or ass, or sheep; he shall restore double.

Committing Adultery
Lev. 20:10 >> And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

In the NT.

1 John 5:16-17 >>
[a]If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death.

[b]There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Deep Secrets Behind Miscarriages / We Need True Peace For Prosperity To Thrive / All u need to know abt speaking with TONGUES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.