Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,058 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:10 AM

Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House (27227 Views)

Senate Will Reconvene To Consider Ministerial List — Saraki / GEJ Plotting To Reconvene House – APC / Sovereign National Conference: North Set For Showdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 5:07am On Nov 01, 2014
NOVEMBER 1, 2014 BY JOHN AMEH

Members during plenary at the floor of the Nigeria House of Representatives
The Peoples Democratic Party members in the House of Representatives and their All Progressives Congress colleagues are set for a showdown over alleged plan by the PDP caucus to reconvene the House next Tuesday.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the PDP lawmakers’ plan jolted their APC counterparts many of whom had already travelled to their constituencies to prepare for the party’s primaries.

It was gathered that the APC leaders vowed to oppose the move with “every means possible.”

The Speaker, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal, on Tuesday adjourned sitting in the House till December 3, 2014 shortly after he dumped the PDP for the APC.

On the other hand, the Senate adjourned to reconvene on November 4, 2014.

It was learnt that both the Presidency and the PDP national headquarters were displeased with Tambuwal’s defection.

A PDP source, who did not want his name mentioned, told Saturday PUNCH that the Presidency felt that Tambuwal adjourned sitting in the House to enable him to settle down in his new party, the APC.

But when the PDP caucus reportedly began making a move to reconvene sitting, the APC caucus described such as “a very big joke and laughable proposal.”

The House Minority Whip, Mr. Sampson Osagie, who confirmed the anger of the APC members, told Saturday PUNCH that the only authorised official to reconvene the House was Tambuwal.

He explained that even Tambuwal could not do it alone until he received the approval of the leadership of the House.

Osagie said, “It will amount to complete illegality for anybody to contemplate a thing like that. The House was properly adjourned by the Speaker on Tuesday; he is the only authority by our rules to reconvene the House.

“This will come after a meeting of all the party caucuses in the House.”

According to Osagie, the planned PDP caucus decision to resort to collecting signatures of members to reconvene the House is an illegality and totally against the House rules.

But PDP members dismissed Osagie. One of the members, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “This is a very simple and straightforward issue. It is like telling the whole world that if the Speaker is sick, and there is an emergency, we cannot reconvene the House.

“All that is required is to get 120 members to sign to reconvene the House. There is a Deputy Speaker who can preside over the House in the absence of the Speaker.”

Asked why it was necessary to reconvene the House barely one week after it adjourned till December 3, another senior PDP source replied that it was to “discuss the 2015 budget, Petroleum Industry Bill and of course, any other important matter that needs urgent attention.”

Ironically, the House gave preparation for the budget, PIB and party primaries as the reasons it earlier took the lengthy adjournment.

It was gathered that Tambuwal might be prevented from entering the National Assembly to preside over any session of the House as part of the wider plan to “effectively frustrate him.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-set-for-showdown-over-move-to-reconvene-house/
Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 5:12am On Nov 01, 2014
Let the games begin...... but one thing I theKingsmen know very well is that before this year runs out Amino Tamumuwal must cease to be the speaker. The blacksheep has eaten more grass than he can chew...

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by tunwumi: 5:16am On Nov 01, 2014
This will dent the bad image of GEJ more as he is seen as anti northerners.

But do we still have a constitution in this nation.
Oh I guess it's PDP 's constitution that they are applying.

This is not a smart move at all for them.

79 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by redcliff: 5:25am On Nov 01, 2014
Asked why it was necessary to reconvene the House barely one week after it adjourned till December 3, another senior PDP source replied that it was to “discuss the 2015 budget, Petroleum Industry Bill and of course, any other important matter that needs urgent attention.”

Pdp would burn this country to the ground.. no respect for the constitution..why are nigerians practicing hate politics? pdp:- desperate since 1998.

52 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by tonyot(m): 5:44am On Nov 01, 2014
Tambuwal made a very big mistake. No matter how smart he thinks he is, one thing that is certain is that "You can't fight the power that be".
Gej till 2019

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by wallex1983(m): 5:45am On Nov 01, 2014
How come Tambuwal iڪ believed to play on their intelligence? I thought we should have the best of brains in that house. They saw defection coming that day, yet did not resist the move to reconvene Dec 3 until the gavel was hit. At least they all initially agreed to reconvene.

Again, who told them that by de robing the speaker of his security details will make him reconvene? They should even remove his clothes and boxers, he's still the speaker until he either resigns or he's impeached. Infact, let them remove his security details, boko haram can provide a better security in this country 2day. It happened in a southern state before, when touts protected the governor.

I just dey watch sha

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by ichidodo: 5:59am On Nov 01, 2014
"Hell hath no fury like PDP scorned"...ichidodo,2014.#gej4ever.

12 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 01, 2014
redcliff:

Pdp would burn this country to the ground.. no respect for the constitution..why are nigerians practicing hate politics? pdp:- desperate since 1998.

There are merely enforcing section 68 of the constitution. Tambuwal is no longer the speaker and is in no position to reconvene the house

25 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 6:00am On Nov 01, 2014
wallex1983:
How come Tambuwal iڪ believed to play on their intelligence? I thought we should have the best of brains in that house. They saw defection coming that day, yet did not resist the move to reconvene Dec 3 until the gavel was hit. At least they all initially agreed to reconvene.

Again, who told them that by de robing the speaker of his security details will make him reconvene? They should even remove his clothes and boxers, he's still the speaker until he either resigns or he's impeached. Infact, let them remove his security details, boko haram can provide a better security in this country 2day. It happened in a southern state before, when touts protected the governor.

I just dey watch sha

Read the news.They don't need him to reconvene the house

15 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by iamodenigbo1(m): 6:06am On Nov 01, 2014
okpatara nku ahuhu si ngwere bia oriri,I don talk my own

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by clemzo101(m): 6:14am On Nov 01, 2014
Which image is dis one talking about? Everybody's image is damaged already, especially tambuwal and all APC big shots even APC E-Rabbits like urself......nonesense
tunwumi:
This will dent the bad image of GEJ more as he is seen as anti northerners.

But do we still have a constitution in this nation.
Oh I guess it's PDP 's constitution that they are applying.

This is not a smart move at all for them.

40 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by dlox147(m): 6:17am On Nov 01, 2014
Tambuwal's timing was just wrong. And for those shouting, do you think taking the resumption date to dec 3 was a wise move?? cos of his selfish interest you decide to slow the pace of governance in Nigeria?? when we have dwindling oil prices and need to review the budget benchmark if need be, the PIB and other important issue and you guys(tabuwal supporters) choose to to be comfortable with his selfishness...

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by arewafederation: 6:18am On Nov 01, 2014
But PDP members dismissed Osagie. One of the members, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “This is a very simple and straightforward issue. It is like telling the whole world that if the Speaker is sick, and there is an emergency, we cannot reconvene the House.

PDP politicians are naturally daft and can only exist in a country filled with clueless People.

Such abuse of power, denigration of the Nigerian constitution by the evil PDP is enough reason for the people to push the out of power.

Only lower animals will see nothing wrong with the actions of the executive in this matter.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by mankevo(m): 6:23am On Nov 01, 2014
Is the showdown for the benefit of masses or to flex muscle?
APC through Mr Sampson Osagie made its position known, why did a faceless PDP member(is he afraid of incuring anybody's wrat?) make PDP's position known?
Maybe there was no comment from PDP and the reporter "smuggled in" a balance.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Caseless: 6:25am On Nov 01, 2014
chukwudi44:

There are merely enforcing section 68 of the constitution. Tambuwal is no longer the speaker and is in no position to reconvene the house
u cant be more 'un-intelligent'.

51 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Caseless: 6:31am On Nov 01, 2014
thekingsmen:
Let the games begin...... but one thing I theKingsmen know very well is that before this year runs out Amino Tamumuwal must cease to be the speaker. The blacksheep has eaten more grass than he can chew...
No! U ar wrong. The blacksheep has rather eaten his portion of the grasses , and has decided to join 'cows' in eating theirs. This is how smart animals behave.
This is a war pdp cannot win.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by omenka(m): 6:32am On Nov 01, 2014
thekingsmen:
And he doesn't cease being the speaker I hope you will cease breathing...

Jonathan is a sentimental novice. He'd be taught what real politicking is in this episode.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by S3un(m): 6:32am On Nov 01, 2014
wetin concern me??

PDP o
APGA o
APC o
As far as Say Na GoodLuck B Dia Rep Den Gbam!!! U Av It..GEJ aint good I know but I prefer him to a consecutive loser who has nothing to prove

18 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Sunnycliff(m): 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
Watching this sweet season movie
Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by gbodimowo(m): 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
OK we are watching
Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by morbid: 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
I was just wondering what OBJ would have done to Tambuwal,if he were to mess with him this way. But,look at Jonathan and the PDP,running helter skelter. Does it mean that they can't come up with one plausible bribe accusation or something,just to mess Tambuwal up?? This reminds me of Senator Adolphus Wabara.

10 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by BlackPeni5: 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
The house should be reconvened because an extraordinary event (defection of a serving speaker to a minority party) has occurred.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
But that's none of my business...
On other news....
Welcome to another movie called November,the season 11 of 2014 with 30 thrilling episodes,sit tight and relax as God unfolds his blessings on u,happy new month............sweet November

5 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 01, 2014
It was gathered that Tambuwal might be prevented from entering the National Assembly to preside over any session of the House as part of the wider plan to “effectively frustrate him.”

Why is President Jonathan and PDP wasting their time? They have been trying every means to frustrate Tambawal-though Illegally but it ends up vindicating him. I suggest that the APC Reps Institute Impeachment proceedings against Mr. Presdent.
That should shake him off

6 Likes

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 01, 2014
arewafederation:

PDP politicians are naturally daft and can only exist in a country filled with clueless People.

Such abuse of power, denigration of the Nigerian constitution by the evil PDP is enough reason for the people to push the out of power.

Only lower animals will see nothing wrong with the actions of the executive in this matter.
I have always maintained that someone obviously tampered with the psyche of the PDP guys. They are not smart, not strategic, not logical but represent everything stupid and clueless.

They can't win this battle. APC Own them

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by sammieguze(m): 6:34am On Nov 01, 2014
This is getting interesting
Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 01, 2014
Am I the only one who is not surprise that this Thread makes it to the FP within few minutes of creation while loads of sensible ProAPC threads are detained in Politics section?

7 Likes

ok
Re: Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House by Damalex4luv(m): 6:34am On Nov 01, 2014
Tambuwal will win this battle, he's a lawyer and will have played his game very well before coming to conclusion of de camping to APC.. Jonathan and co will see for sure that APC is now the party to be feared by all and sundry...
GEJ till 2015
GMB till 2019

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bear With Me, Change Will Come — Buhari / Aisha Buhari Still Missing From Nigerian Public, Five Months After / Niger, Chad Attack Boko Haram After IS Pledge Opens New Fronts -YAHOO NEWS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.