Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:34 AM

Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? (1270 Views)

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans / How To Embbed Gps In A Search Engine(j2me) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by VivaLaFrans: 11:15pm On Nov 01, 2014
Iam a Computer Science student and just wanted to know where all the topics in this forum are being stored. Since it'll last forever, then where are they stored. Google?
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 02, 2014
VivaLaFrans:
Iam a Computer Science student and just wanted to know where all the topics in this forum are being stored. Since it'll last forever, then where are they stored. Google?
if you claim you're a computer science student then you must be in 100level.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by codemarshal08(m): 7:09am On Nov 02, 2014
mobolaji88:

u self ..lol
Anyway, Op it is stored in a database
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by VivaLaFrans: 7:18am On Nov 02, 2014
mobolaji88:

Is that your final answer?
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by VivaLaFrans: 7:21am On Nov 02, 2014
codemarshal08:

u self ..lol
Please what database? MS Access?
You know I never asked a lecturer this question in school. Still studying HTML for now
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by codemarshal08(m): 8:08am On Nov 02, 2014
VivaLaFrans:
Please what database? MS Access?
You know I never asked a lecturer this question in school. Still studying HTML for now
In its simplest term, a database is the collection of information in an organized form in order to make this information easier to manipulate (e.g store, retrieve , update, search and more).

Ms Access is an example of a database management system. Other examples are MSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server.
Note: You can always Google for more formal definitions !
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 02, 2014
codemarshal08:

u self ..lol
i dint mean to be rude to the Op actually..just suprised he mentioned google!!
Anyway to butress your answer, nairaland stores its data in a database, most likely mysql(it may be any other though). I'm guessing Op is intruiged and confused about how nairaland can store so much data and still hold it in to be processed..
@Op, you need to read up on relational database analogy and then see how data can be partitioned on RDBMSs to ensure optimal server loads.
Besides, a modern database can store well over than 2gb conviniently without much fuss(provided the programmer uses modern techniques too), Nairaland.com's database is filled with texts; attachments are stored on the server's file system, so there really shouldnt be much problem keeping the database server efficient in response. You may read more on wikipedia.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by VivaLaFrans: 11:31am On Nov 02, 2014
codemarshal08:

In its simplest term, a database is the collection of information in an organized form in order to make this information easier to manipulate (e.g store, retrieve , update, search and more).

Ms Access is an example of a database management system. Other examples are MSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server.
Note: You can always Google for more formal definitions !
Thanks
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by davidsmith8900: 3:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
VivaLaFrans:

To answer the main title, I'll say that Nairaland has the ability to become a search engine (if the workers were taken it seriously), but I doubt it if they are. Nairaland has the potential to become a rival search engine to Google, but the ogas at the top don't seem to be pushing it or let's just say innovative.

As far as where the topics are stored, more than likely in a database.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by Djtm(m): 10:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
I'm having the laugh of my day.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by dhtml(m): 7:39am On Nov 03, 2014
VivaLaFrans:
Err, an interesting question. . . .

davidsmith8900:

To answer the main title, I'll say that Nairaland has the ability to become a search engine (if the workers were taken it seriously), but I doubt it if they are. Nairaland has the potential to become a rival search engine to Google, but the ogas at the top don't seem to be pushing it or let's just say innovative.
As far as where the topics are stored, more than likely in a database.
Excellent response as always.
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 03, 2014
dhtml:

What kind of fooolishness is this? Oh la, la! I see it but i dont believe it. . .even your ID sef seem foooolish to a spanish speaker like me to be honest.

An igbo adage says "Onye na ju ajuju ona e fu uzo" meaning A person that always ask questions can never miss his/her way.

He wants to know.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by VivaLaFrans: 9:10am On Nov 03, 2014
phatjoe50:

An igbo adage says "Onye na ju ajuju ona e fu uzo" meaning A person that always ask questions can never miss his/her way.

He wants to know.
Thank you brother...
U know they always want to pick up a quarrel with someone.
I don't get angry easily cuz I have better things to think about

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by dhtml(m): 10:28am On Nov 03, 2014
VivaLaFrans:
Thank you brother...
U know they always want to pick up a quarrel with someone.
I don't get angry easily cuz I have better things to think about
I was just testing your anger. . . .and it seems you are quite decent, mucho gusto (pleasure meeting you).
Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by asalimpo(m): 5:00pm On Nov 03, 2014
NL becoming a search engine?
No. Not now not tomorrow.
It has a lotta topics, but search engines require mega architecture, and advanced cutting edge databases. We're talkg databases that scale to petabytes and zetabytes of data.
Server farms with cooling systems comprising entire buildg complexes compare tht to d tiny fan that whirls wen u put ur laptop/pc on!
It requires computer scientists workg on optimizg search algorithms - not commodity type programmers - not to talk of typical huge capital.
You cant run a search engine on Rdbms. It's too primitive for it.

1 Like

Re: Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? by dhtml(m): 7:38pm On Nov 03, 2014
^^^Nice one there!

(1) (Reply)

Cicada 3301 - Today Is January 5th / Are You An Awesome Developer? / Help With This Python Algorithm....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.