Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,118 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons (12612 Views)

Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? / Best City In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by hilary26(m): 6:11am On Nov 02, 2014
Dubai is a city determined to retain its heritage while racing at breakneck speed to embrace the 21st century. As a vibrant, international city, it encompasses all the good, bad and ugly of any large city. The  experience of living and working in Dubai can be most enjoyable and a great adventure if expats leave themselves open to the experience and abide by a few simple rules. Here are some pros and cons of living in Dubai. 

Cultural awareness in Dubai

It's important to always remember that Dubai is an Arab emirate. While it's the most liberal of all the emirates, there are a few cultural restrictions of which expats must be aware. The Islamicreligion impacts every aspect of Muslims’ lives and they prioritise their life in this order: religion, family, country. The call to prayer occurs five times a day, Muslim women are respected and expats should be aware that some will not be comfortable in the presence of a man.  

PRO: Muslim country, but other religions tolerated

Although Dubai is an Islamic emirate, other religions are allowed to be practised (there is a church compound in Jebel Ali with Christian churches and a Sikh temple) but there is a strong warning that no evangelisation will be tolerated. Ramadan, the holy month, will mean shorter hours and lots of Iftar parties in the evening after the fast is broken. 

CON: Cultural adjustments needed when in a Muslim country

The call to prayer five times a day can mean that non-Muslims may have to wait a bit to continue their business until Muslims return from prayer. During the holy month of Ramadan work slows to a crawl and most restaurants will be closed during the day or serve a limited menu. No alcohol will be served until the fast is broken at sunset.Arabs are generally gracious people and it is ingrained in their culture to not make anyone lose face. Therefore, they say “no” in such gracious ways that sometimes one is not certain that they have said so, and this can be confusing for expats not used to this. Important cultural restrictions to be aware of: modest dress is required (minimum is being loosely covered from neck to elbow to knees); drunkenness, drug use, dishonest behavior, foul language and public displays of affection are all criminal offenses with severe punishments; the raising of the third finger hand gesture can land one in jail; to beckon someone it's best not to wave with the hand palm up but with the hand palm down; and never argue with or raise your voice to a policeman or other official. 

Accommodation in Dubai

Renting property in Dubai is the best option as purchasing a place can be difficult because of the restrictions on foreigners owning property. There are many sections of the city to live in, depending on one's preferences. Dubai Marina is an exclave of expats, Deira and Burj Dubai is the more traditional area. Outer communities include Arabian Ranches and the Green Community. Jumeirah, Al Wasl, Al Safa and Umm Seqeim have lovely residential accommodation. All will have mostly newer high-rise apartments and attached villas available for rent.   

PRO: Housing is mostly new and short-term leases are available

Accommodation in Dubai is mostly new and pleasant. Serviced apartments are available everywhere in the city. These come furnished and are serviced as part of the rent; short-term leases are also available for this type of accommodaton.  

CON: Dealing with realtors and landlords can be tricky

Annual rents on apartments in Dubai must be paid in full and up front. Some companies will cover this for their employees and then deduct amounts monthly from their wages. Realtors can be difficult to work with. It's better to find a place by word-of-mouth and then go directly to the property or engage a realtor to handle matters thereafter. An agent is required to complete a rental agreement. Maintenance on buildings can be sporadic and absentee owners who do not pay their fees can mean the renter will experience restrictions on use of some of the amenities of the building.  

Doing business and working in Dubai

The economy in Dubai is moving forward at a rapid pace. This offers many opportunities, especially for entrepreneurs and professionals. All kinds of services are needed. Most of the goods available in Dubai have been imported. As a young country, the UAE it is still struggling to establish efficient operations in many segments of industry and relies on expats to provide this expertise.  

PRO: Lots of opportunities for entrepreneurs and professionals

There exists a never-ending list of services, goods and expertise needed in Dubai and the UAE. There are numerous free-zones for various industry segments that will help a new business get started such as Media City, Healthcare City, Knowledge Village and the Dubai International Financial Centre.    

CON: Emiratization and setting up a business can be frustrating

Emiratization, an effort to increase the presence of Emiratis employed in the private sector, is a high priority for the government, and is a serious consideration for all private sector companies. This means it's not uncommon to have an Emirati superior who is less qualified than his subordinates.  Setting up a business in Dubai can be time-consuming and frustrating. Government regulations can be a maze and difficult to understand; it can even be difficult to get the same interpretation when working through the process. There are times when one department is not connecting with another and applicants can run around in circles. There is also the question of ownership – in some cases, an Emirati sponsor is needed to establish a business and the Emirati must own 51 percent of the business.  Be very careful of an employment contract. Everything should be in writing up front i.e. salary, end of service payout, health insurance, etc. Some companies have been known to take advantage of their workers. Expats should not bring their family members over until they have their work visa, which allows them to sponsor family resident visas. For Westerners, the pace of doing business will be slower than they may be used to. Getting a decision made is sometimes the biggest challenge. 

Lifestyle in Dubai

PRO: English is widely spoken and the nightlife scene is vibrant

English is a common language in Dubai, and spoken and understood by most people in the emirate. People are generally very friendly and eager to make new friends and, since it's an international city, expats will have the opportunity to make friends from all over the world.  The plethora of fast-food franchises means it's possible to get foods that are familiar. Expats can get anything delivered at almost anytime, including food, groceries, dry cleaning and office supplies. Friday brunch is a popular activity for expats, with every hotel and restaurant offering delicious arrays of food and drink to patrons. Dubai is a fun city that caters to the young. Nightlife is lively but doesn’t start until after 9pm and goes on to the wee hours. Big name entertainment and parties are advertised all the time.  This is a unique city and country that offers quite a lot to see and explore. Dubai boasts museums, film festivals, art festivals and sporting events. To experience a taste of Emirati life there are also the souqs, desert safaris, dune bashing, camel riding and pearl diving experiences. And expats can “shop til they drop” as Dubai is a shopping destination with a mall on almost every corner.  

CON: Bureaucracy

Getting official paper work, i.e. resident and work visas, utilities set up, bank accounts opened and mobile phones connected can be a bit frustrating as it can be difficult to navigate bureaucracy in Dubai. Many documents will have to be translated into Arabic. Be sure to use a reliable company. The Dubai Roads and Transportation Authority Al Barsha office offers this service at a nominal fee. Groceries come from all over the world, so expats will need to learn to grocery shop by country of origin. And, since all food is imported, it can be a bit expensive and one's favourite item from home a bit illusive when the supply chain breaks down. Pork will only be available in specially designed areas of some grocery stores. While most modern businesses stay open all day, many traditional shops will close from 1pm to 4pm but they do stay open very late, sometimes until 10pm.  People come and go from Dubai, making it a never-ending circle of suddenly making and losing friends.   Alcohol can only be consumed in certain tourist hotels. Always take a taxi if planning to drink alcohol as there is zero tolerance for driving, which means jail time, with even just one alcoholic drink. If wanting to purchase liquor to be consumed at home, a liquor license is required. Liquor carries a 30 percent tax in Dubai.  Illegal drugs – just don’t do it – will lead to jail time for sure.  

Getting around Dubai

PRO: Good public transport

Dubai Metro – if it is going where you want – is a nice, clean, affordable way to move around the city. There is a system of feeder buses offered at most of the major stations. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. For air travel, once expats have their residence visa, they can get an EPass which expedites clearing customs.  

CON: Driving can be hazardous and temperatures are extreme

Driving in Dubai is for the stout hearted. The road system is difficult to navigate and the driving can be erratic and fast, especially on the main expressway, Sheikh Zayed Road. There are limited street signs and not all streets have names. Directions are given in landmarks. If making a wrong turn or taking the wrong exit in Dubai, the city is totally unforgiving. It can take more than 30 minutes to get going in the right direction again. Except from November to March, it is far too hot to walk any distance in Dubai.

2 Likes

Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by Mologi(m): 8:09am On Nov 02, 2014
oga u try o.....enchor!!!!!
Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by olamisegbe(m): 6:45pm On Nov 02, 2014
Well said...lovely write up...but how can 'I' get to work there?
Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by hilary26(m): 4:36am On Nov 07, 2014
You wanna work there for real?
Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
I hate a country where your freedom is repressed. I want to dabble myself on the sunny beach with a big jumbo wrap of weed in my mouth, and my smooth bikini on my browny tan skin. I cant do that in dubai wtf!

2 Likes

Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by nibblekenny: 12:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
Please I need an honest opnin abut wrking in dubai. BCS I wana go befre the year runs out. Whatshould I expect?
Re: Dubai...the Best City For A Nigerian To Live And Work. The Pros And Cons by suxes2005(m): 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2014
diluminati:
I hate a country where your freedom is repressed. I want to dabble myself on the sunny beach with a big jumbo wrap of weed in my mouth, and my smooth bikini on my browny tan skin. I cant do that in dubai wtf!

I liked this smiley

~ Sheyi

(1) (Reply)

Third Batch: Another 180 Nigerians Return From Libya On Tuesday / Should I Study In Paris Or The Province? / Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.