Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,194 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Career Inquiry - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Career Inquiry (1330 Views)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / I Want To Be A Part Of The It Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Inquiry by mathefaro(m): 6:29am On Nov 02, 2014
To be more specific, can a graduate of mathematics actually make it big time in the IT industry (with lots of professional certifications in the IT sector though)?
I need this info to advice a student who needs counseling

1 Like

Re: Career Inquiry by LordRahl001: 12:40am On Nov 03, 2014
yessire!! the maths will come handy when he needs to solve some complex problems and will help in formulating algorithms, so yes, he can make it!!
Re: Career Inquiry by davidsmith8900: 12:49am On Nov 03, 2014
mathefaro:
To be more specific, can a graduate of mathematics actually make it big time in the IT industry (with lots of professional certifications in the IT sector though)?
I need this info to advice a student who needs counseling

What is your definition of success? Is success determined by money? If so, then a Comp Sci degree is NOT needed. Is success determined by getting degrees and writing papers? Then a Comp Sci degree IS needed. Is success determined by peace of mind and having a family? Than a Comp Sci degree is NOT needed. Let me give u a quick answer. There are many Bachelors, Masters & PHD. holders of Comp Sci n IT but do u know the funniest thing? Majority of them end up working for people who don't have a single degree in Computer Science and IT. Isn't that funny? Most billionaires around the world never went to college, there are even more millionaires that are high school dropouts. At the end of the day, I think it is about chance, determination, luck and opportunities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Inquiry by mathefaro(m): 6:16am On Nov 03, 2014
davidsmith8900:

What is your definition of success? Is success determined by money? If so, then a Comp Sci degree is NOT needed. Is success determined by getting degrees and writing papers? Then a Comp Sci degree IS needed. Is success determined by peace of mind and having a family? Than a Comp Sci degree is NOT needed. Let me give u a quick answer. There are many Bachelors, Masters & PHD. holders of Comp Sci n IT but do u know the funniest thing? Majority of them end up working for people who don't have a single degree in Computer Science and IT. Isn't that funny? Most billionaires around the world never went to college, there are even more millionaires that are high school dropouts. At the end of the day, I think it is about chance, determination, luck and opportunities.
Thanks, you're a life saver.
Re: Career Inquiry by mathefaro(m): 6:17am On Nov 03, 2014
Any other person?
Re: Career Inquiry by Dacronym(m): 1:25am On Nov 04, 2014
Ofcourse NOT, a comp. Sci. Degree is in no way a requirement (although it could be helpful). In fact d combo of Mathdmatics and a career in programming is a very good one and will b helpful in a LOT of ways to say d least. Many respected, renowned, professional and powerful programmers were not even directly frm d comp sci./ I.T education side.

1 Like

Re: Career Inquiry by mathefaro(m): 6:05am On Nov 04, 2014
Dacronym:
Ofcourse NOT, a comp. Sci. Degree is in no way a requirement (although it could be helpful). In fact d combo of Mathdmatics and a career in programming is a very good one and will b helpful in a LOT of ways to say d least. Many respected, renowned, professional and powerful programmers were not even directly frm d comp sci./ I.T education side.
thanks for your input

(1) (Reply)

Best Core Java Tutorial That I Want To Share / PHP & Javascript Developers Needed / Javascript - Closures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.