Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,753 members, 7,806,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

. - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / . (6229 Views)

Tourist Trapped On Australian Island After Being Stalked By A Crocodile / Shocking: Australian Prime Minister Stoned By Protesters / This Is Australia, Shape In Or Ship Out Muslims - Australian Pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
why are you buying the American F-35s? Are you about to go to war with anyone?

Why are you spying on Indonesia? Are they a threat to you?
Re: . by cubnake: 11:42pm On Nov 04, 2014
majekdom2:
@ cubnake , you are a great guy . very smart in answering questions. I have aways thought if australia would survive without their exports because I looked up on the manufacturing sector over there and found it is not as strong compared to other western countries . what government policies do you think is sustaining the economy right now over there . In europe now , its quite tough getting a job , I really can't say why , but I can relate it to the influx of immigrants. Do you think your country will be able to cope with a greater population ?

Sustaining the economy:

Right now the government doesn't really need to do much to sustain the economy, the mining sector is still booming with new development going up in the Northern Territory. Our current level of taxation seems to be able to sustain us.

Getting a job:

We also have fairly high levels of legal immigration which are being increased under the current government because like most western countries our birth rate is slowing down, but we still need skilled workers to fill the gaps. Land surveyors are in fairly high demand at the moment.

Getting a job only gets difficult if you want a career that will buy you a house. Lower paying jobs are abundant and the casual labour sector will give you a job on the spot if you walk in and ask. It doesn't even where you're from or what you're like as long as you can lift ~20 kg and can legally work in Australia.

Greater population:

Australia's infrastructure is in need of an upgrade. We have the resources to do it, but it needs to be done slowly for political reasons. If there is a dire need it will be met, otherwise it's going to be done slowly.
Re: . by cubnake: 11:52pm On Nov 04, 2014

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
cubnake:

In the major cities outside of the Northern Territory the only animal that is at risk of hurting you is the various types of spider, but they avoid people and prefer to stick to corners and eat flys. Most people consider spiders bros because of the job they do. I have ~7 or so spiders in my house right now eating flys and other bugs that I just co-exist with. If you live on the outskirts of suburbia you do see kangaroos, but they're very timid and try to avoid leaving bush land. When kangaroo populations get too big we kill them off so there's never really a big problem.

Also the beach has sharks, but they only kill ~3 people a year and we have a killing program to keep their numbers down.

As you leave suburban areas the amount of spiders and snakes increases to the point where you will see them every day, but they will always try to avoid you. If you go to the Northern Territory where we just have a wet and dry season there are crocodiles who eat people, but they are pretty easy to avoid.
quite scary man , I should come sight see sometime . its gonna be an adventure to see snake almost everywhere. would like to know if aussie's migrate a lot ?
Re: . by cubnake: 2:02am On Nov 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: . by cubnake: 2:14am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 2:24am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 2:27am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 2:39am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 2:51am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by BekeeBuAgbara: 5:27am On Nov 05, 2014
Has Kevin Rudd retired from politics? Do you believe Tony abbott is fulfilling his election promises?
Between Tony Abbott and Julia Gillard, who has more friendly immigration policy?
If the prime minister is pressurized by US to legalize same sex marriage, do you think he would succumb?
Re: . by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:20am On Nov 05, 2014
cubnake:

Why are we buying F-35's?

Australia follows around the current world super power like a little brother. There are higher quality aircraft at a lower cost on the market, but that wouldn't be a trade deal with the US. Our current air force is due for an upgrade and while they aren't the best planes on the market, they are far from the worst.

Australia at war:

As far as most Australians are concerned we haven't been at war with anyone since the end of the second world war. Every military action we've taken since then has either been "peacekeeping operations" or aiding the US in their wars. We've never been under attack or truly at risk of attack since the second world war.

Spying on Indonesia:

They are the only power in the Oceanic region that could potentially attack us, we have opposing religious foundations, more land and a lower population and they are an emerging economy with a heap of potential growth. I think it's safe to say that most countries spy on each other, they just act like it's a big deal when they get caught. Our government still denies they did because it's Australian policy to deny everything no matter how much evidence there is.

Even so, the Australian people have little to no control over who the government spies on or goes to war with. It's very much the media that decides that, just like in the USA.
shocked grin
Re: . by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 05, 2014
cubnake:

Why are kangaroos only found in Australia?

They developed for the Australian environment and they can't really swim, so that limits their ability to leave Australia. I doubt they would have survived outside of Australia even if they did somehow make it. The only other environments similar would be dry plains environments in parts of Africa, America and Mongolia which all have bigger stronger equivalents and actual predators. Their only advantage is that they breed like rabbits.

Have I eaten kangaroo?

Yes. It's cheap, but it's very stringy and tastes pretty much like any other wild red meat.
You mean it's legal to kill the kangaroos that roam the streets,since you've been eating them.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: . by cubnake: 11:32am On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 11:38am On Nov 05, 2014
laykorn:

You mean it's legal to kill the kangaroos that roam the streets,since you've been eating them.
Ayamlaykorn

You need a license to kill them legally. As far as I know we're the only country that regularly eats all the animals on its national emblem.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2014
cubnake:

You need a license to kill them legally. As far as I know we're the only country that regularly eats all the animals on its national emblem.
You eat those spiders too? undecided
And the snakes?
Ayamlaykorn
Re: . by cubnake: 3:48pm On Nov 05, 2014
Re: . by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 05, 2014
cubnake:

I never have, but I could imagine they've been sampled at some point.
Oho!
You can ask us questions about our country too. You can open a new thread and tag us. We will be nice enough to answer them.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: . by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2014
Australia and South Africa seem to share so much in common. For most people in this part of the world, to get to Australia, we need to go through South Africa. What was the relationship between Australia and Apartheid South Africa?

The first time i heard the name Australia was in 1993 during the FIFA U-17 world cup in Japan. We played you guys and defeated you 2-1. I liked the name when i heard it. I loved and still love the way it sounds. The way you move your tongue when pronouncing it is sweet! Also, the jersey you guys wore on that day was beautiful. For a long time, i didn't hear of you guys. Your country is such a rare country. I guess it is the geaographical location. I only hear of you once in every 4 years and yes, it is always at the Olympics. Why is Australia so good at sports, Especially swimming? It was Michael Phelps that broke your monopoly in that sport.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 05, 2014
Why do you think the F-35s are not the best planes out there? Which would you have prefered, the F-22s, SAAB Gripen, SU-30s your neighbour have, or the the russian Pak whatever...cant remember the name now?
Re: . by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2014
How far is Australia from Antarctica? Does Australia have a territory there? Have you ever been there? Would you like to go there? Are there Penguins in Australia? What goes on (human activities) in Antarctica? What have humans ever done there? Do you think it will be inhabitable someday? Since the continent is at the bottom of the world, do the people stand upside down? cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy how much of sunlight do they get?
Re: . by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2014
do you think the national orientation in Australia is strong such that the people feel a sense of being Australian like it is among the Americans? What does it mean to be Australian?

The UK colonised you guys. They gave you the English language. Infact, some of you have roots in the UK yet, you speak English with a different accent! At what time did your accent start changing? What influenced it? I must confess that your accent is actually funny. Lol. You pronounce "maybe" as "mai be". Lol.

The last time David Cameron was in your country and was recieved by Julia Gillard, he tried to imitate your accent. Do you think he did it well? How did it sound to you?

How do you define the Australian culture? How different is it from other parts of the west?
How significant is the Opera house in Sydney to Australian culture? Do you think Australia has a very strong culture that impress so many people abroad? Why don't you guys export your culture like the Americans do? If you start exporting your culture, do you think it has the potential to take over the world like hollywood, bollywood and nollywood? cheesycheesycheesy
Re: . by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 05, 2014
do you know Richard Cypher? What about Cara? They both stared in the "Lengend Of The Seeker"
Re: . by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2014
craziebone:
do you know Richard Cypher? What about Cara? They both stared in the "Lengend Of The Seeker"
pls , try and make this interesting . let him answer one question before you drop another he should also ask wha he wishes to know about naija ? it should be mutual I guess. pls

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 05, 2014
majekdom2:
pls , try and make this interesting . let him answer one question before you drop another he should also ask wha he wishes to know about naija ? it should be mutual I guess. pls

i think it is ok for us to ask as many questions as we would like to ask since our time difference means that when he will be around to answer our questions, we may not be avaliable. So if we do it the way you want it, we may spend months here and still not talk about so much. Btw, He isn't complaining, is he?

He can open a different thread to ask us about our own country.
Re: . by NeverWait: 10:39pm On Nov 05, 2014
cubnake:

Yeah, I go to uni with two Nigerian guys. They're studying engineering in their third years, really great people.

Yeah, we have Nigerian students here as well. My experience with the Nigerians is that they are always friendly and polite, and you can sit with any of them and talk about anything, even about politics in their own country!
Re: . by moneybag100: 12:24am On Nov 06, 2014
craziebone:
Guy na wa for you o....
grin
craziebone:
Guy na wa for you o....
Re: . by Nobody: 2:50am On Nov 06, 2014
NeverWait:

Yeah, we have Nigerian students here as well. My experience with the Nigerians is that they are always friendly and polite, and you can sit with any of them and talk about anything, even about politics in their own country!

which country are you from?
Re: . by Nobody: 3:41am On Nov 06, 2014
craziebone:

which country are you from?
Seems like he's from Sudan.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: . by cubnake: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2014
Re: . by cubnake: 8:43am On Nov 06, 2014
craziebone:
Australia and South Africa seem to share so much in common. For most people in this part of the world, to get to Australia, we need to go through South Africa. What was the relationship between Australia and Apartheid South Africa?

The first time i heard the name Australia was in 1993 during the FIFA U-17 world cup in Japan. We played you guys and defeated you 2-1. I liked the name when i heard it. I loved and still love the way it sounds. The way you move your tongue when pronouncing it is sweet! Also, the jersey you guys wore on that day was beautiful. For a long time, i didn't hear of you guys. Your country is such a rare country. I guess it is the geaographical location. I only hear of you once in every 4 years and yes, it is always at the Olympics. Why is Australia so good at sports, Especially swimming? It was Michael Phelps that broke your monopoly in that sport.

Relationship between Australia and Apartheid South Africa:

Our government has primarily been anti apartheid since the 1970's working with the UN to dismantle legislative racism/segregation.

Australia and sports:

Beach culture and sport are a massive part of Australian culture. Almost every Australian knows how to swim and play at least one sport as we're taught both in early primary school.
Re: . by cubnake: 8:57am On Nov 06, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Israeli Military Misled The Media To Lure Hamas Fighters Into Bunker / Ranking The Top 15 Countries With The Most External Debt / Muammar Gaddafi Is Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.