Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,598 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction (4871 Views)

Government Working On Petroleum Pump Price Reduction — Osinbajo / NNPC Denies Reports On Fuel Pump Price Reduction / Gbenga Adeyinka Mocks Jonathan Over N10 Fuel Price Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 8:12am On Nov 04, 2014
As news filtered in about the reduction in the price of Dangote cement, a greater number of people were in jubilant mood citing its positive effect on cost of building.

But in the real sense of it, how many will benefit from this?, how many people have that capability to even rent apartments they desire more or less buy land and build on it? is the current state of things in the country giving credence to the cement price reduction? will the masses not be at the receiving end in the long run through unemployment through the inability of other firms to compete? are Nigerians a forward thinking people? is the said Capitalist ( dangote) not after his own personal good and not collection good? Why is it only dangote that reduced his cement price? what is the position of the other cement producing and importing firms? Why is the FG not carrying other firms along in its plans to reduce housing deficit?

These and many more are questions begin for answers.

THINK! NIGERIANS THINK!

Like SOLA SALAKO wrote on her Facebook page:

"Obviously, this is another move in the attempt to
stifle competition coming on the heels of getting SON
to regrade cement classification in its favour via
political patronage.

While this seems like a benefit for consumers in the
short term, I fear it is very inimical to growth in that
sector in the long term. The few competing brands
may eventually close down if they don't survive the
price war after emerging bruised from the pseudo
classification battle. More unemployment looms...

Just as Dangote has the singular power to determine
pricing downwards, who will challenge him when he
pushes price to N3,000 after he has successfully run
competition out of the market? This is akin to a rat
nibbling away at your feet and blowing soothing air so
you don't feel it...until it hits blood!

Nothing to rejoice about here if we are long term
oriented people. Unfortunately, Nigerians are not,
so...."

5 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by bigiyaro(m): 8:43am On Nov 04, 2014
Mr op, i think oda competitors can very well afford d new price. Moreover if a few thousand should lose their jobs for a few million to get their personal homes, its worth the hazzel

2 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by Danfoditee(m): 9:07am On Nov 04, 2014
hmmmmm
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by BlackPeni5: 9:30am On Nov 04, 2014
What is this OP saying...I think most people criticize just because they can. Even if it affects the competitors, the major beneficiaries will be the consumers which is my primary concern. Let us enjoy it while it lasts because when they increase it again, wahala go dey.

8 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 9:31am On Nov 04, 2014
bigiyaro:
Mr op, i think oda competitors can very well afford d new price. Moreover if a few thousand should lose their jobs for a few million to get their personal homes, its worth the hazzel

How do you know they'll be able to afford it? how? and where did you see the millions that will build their personal homes? look at your environment and give me twenty people who are on cause to build their houses? is cement the only material used to build a house? what of the sand? stones? irons? woods? and among others... what is the government doing to push down the prices of those? what are the roles of the mortgage banks in these?

Why are we not using our heads properly?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 9:37am On Nov 04, 2014
BlackPeni5:
What is this OP saying...I think most people criticize just because they can. Even if it affects the competitors, the major beneficiaries will be the consumers which is my primary concern. Let us enjoy it while it lasts because when they increase it again, wahala go dey.

what you are simply after is the short term benefit.... what of the long term effect? are you really thinking very well? be sincere to yourself, are you building presently? how many do you know that are building? why are you seeking after your own good not minding whose ox is gored?

1 Like

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 9:38am On Nov 04, 2014
Danfoditee:
hmmmmm

I want to believe you are still thinking...will be waiting for your response
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by BlackPeni5: 9:44am On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

what you are simply after is the short term benefit.... what of the long term effect? are you really thinking very well? be sincere to yourself, are you building presently? how many do you know that are building? why are you seeking after your own good not minding whose ox is gored?

Long term wetin...What long term benefit have I ever enjoyed from the lousy policies of governments over the years. This is capitalism, you must do whatever you need to survive. Improve your quality, reduce your price, render better services, etc etc but you must do something rather than always rely on government to control everything.

Whether I'm building now or not is not important, at least some Nigerians will benefit. Most people are complaining simply because it will not affect them directly. i.e. They are not building.

6 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ducii: 9:46am On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:
As news filtered in about the reduction in the price of Dangote cement, a greater number of people were in jubilant mood citing its positive effect on cost of building.

But in the real sense of it, how many will benefit from this?, how many people have that capability to even rent apartments they desire more or less buy land and build on it? is the current state of things in the country giving credence to the cement price reduction? will the masses not be at the receiving end in the long run through unemployment through the inability of other firms to compete? are Nigerians a forward thinking people? is the said Capitalist ( dangote) not after his own personal good and not collection good? Why is it only dangote that reduced his cement price? what is the position of the other cement producing and importing firms? Why is the FG not carrying other firms along in its plans to reduce housing deficit?

These and many more are questions begin for answers.

THINK! NIGERIANS THINK!

Like SOLA SALAKO wrote on her Facebook page:

"Obviously, this is another move in the attempt to
stifle competition coming on the heels of getting SON
to regrade cement classification in its favour via
political patronage.

While this seems like a benefit for consumers in the
short term, I fear it is very inimical to growth in that
sector in the long term. The few competing brands
may eventually close down if they don't survive the
price war after emerging bruised from the pseudo
classification battle. More unemployment looms...

Just as Dangote has the singular power to determine
pricing downwards, who will challenge him when he
pushes price to N3,000 after he has successfully run
competition out of the market? This is akin to a rat
nibbling away at your feet and blowing soothing air so
you don't feel it...until it hits blood!

Nothing to rejoice about here if we are long term
oriented people. Unfortunately, Nigerians are not,
so...."

What you don't understand is if he pushes the prices upward his competition will just come back in.

4 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 10:00am On Nov 04, 2014
If the price has risen to 2500 the opposition will use it against the govt,now it is reduce criticism follows it,which policy will nigeria ever apriciate?,WHICH LONG TERM POLICY HAVE WE EVER ENJOYED IN THIS NIGERIA?

8 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 10:00am On Nov 04, 2014
BlackPeni5:

Long term wetin...What long term benefit have I ever enjoyed from the lousy policies of governments over the years. This is capitalism, you must do whatever you need to survive. Improve your quality, reduce your price, render better services, etc etc but you must do something rather than always rely on government to control everything.

Whether I'm building now or not is not important, at least some Nigerians will benefit. Most people are complaining simply because it will not affect them directly. i.e. They are not building.

thank God you know its capitalism, he basically took that decision to survive and be in control of that sector, exactly what economics taught me.

on the surface, it seems to favour the masses (which are is not there anyway) but deep down, his plan is to chase competitors out of business...a real capitalistic tendency

1 Like

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by sleekpro(m): 10:16am On Nov 04, 2014
Mr op, pls don't come and spoil our FRESHAIR with your NEGETIVE thinking.

Its ppl like you that goes blind to any good thing happening in negeria under GEJ's govnmt.

Have u ever buoght cement below 1k since 1999?

Even if cement becomes FREE, ppl like you will still complain, because na GEJ lead govnmt!

GEJ till I buy land biuld house!

If you agree LIKE jor!

8 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by sleekpro(m): 10:18am On Nov 04, 2014

Its ppl like you that goes blind to any good thing happening in negeria under GEJ's govnmt.

Even if cement becomes FREE, ppl like you will still complain, because na GEJ lead govnmt!

GEJ till every body buy land biuld house!

If you agree LIKE jor

3 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2014
ducii:

What you don't understand is if he pushes the prices upward his competition will just come back in.

when the competitors will have been forced out of the market right? You really don't understand the dynamics of market activities and rationales behind each market decisions.

You need to for more of market research bro
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 10:27am On Nov 04, 2014
sleekpro:

GEJ till I buy land biuld house!

If you agree LIKE jor!

Is that why you have to post this twice?

whatever happens to forward and backward thinking strategy that applies to this present cement market situation.

Is it that this government has put a covering on your eyes that you can't see nor read between the lines or you are just some sentimental dude that calls white black no matter the level of clarity??
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ducii: 10:35am On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

when the competitors will have been forced out of the market right? You really don't understand the dynamics of market activities and rationales behind each market decisions.

You need to for more of market research bro

What do you mean I work in an investment bank, that decision was made by Dangote to increase his market share. Even at N1,000 they will still be making profit. At this level Dangote makes about N400 per bag while Larfage Wapco makes about N200 per bag and CCNN is at break-even at this point.
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by shift15(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2014
People with the mindset of the Op are the reason why many felt Nigeria is not moving forward.
Maybe because they live is penury because of their laziness, they thought everyone lives in poverty like them.
For your information, Op, there are more cars on Nigeria road in the last 4 years than it was before, what does that tells you?
There are more houses being built all over Nigeria than they are before, just go to Lagos-Ibadan expressway and see for yourself, go to Mowe and see. Go to Igwuruta in PHC and see, go to Airport Road in Owerri and see new places being developed. Go to Abuja-Keffi Road and see more settlement coming up.
Don't sit in your penury and assume everyone lives in poverty.

6 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 11:02am On Nov 04, 2014
ducii:

What do you mean I work in an investment bank, that decision was made by Dangote to increase his market share. Even at N1,000 they will still be making profit. At this level Dangote makes about N400 per bag while Larfage Wapco makes about N200 per bag and CCNN is at break-even at this point.

please show me the link where you got your facts from bro....let's see the chart.....

why is it that it's only Dangote that announced the decrease? we'll see the effect on other firms in the coming days...
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ducii: 11:09am On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

please show me the link where you got your facts from bro....let's see the chart.....

why is it that it's only Dangote that announced the decrease? we'll see the effect on other firms in the coming days...

BUA just announced. the owners of CCNN just announced that they are following suit.
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 11:32am On Nov 04, 2014
shift15:
People with the mindset of the Op are the reason why many felt Nigeria is not moving forward.
Maybe because they live is penury because of their laziness, they thought everyone lives in poverty like them.
For your information, Op, there are more cars on Nigeria road in the last 4 years than it was before, what does that tells you?
There are more houses being built all over Nigeria than they are before, just go to Lagos-Ibadan expressway and see for yourself, go to Mowe and see. Go to Igwuruta in PHC and see, go to Airport Road in Owerri and see new places being developed. Go to Abuja-Keffi Road and see more settlement coming up.
Don't sit in your penury and assume everyone lives in poverty.

You just opened your mouth and blab gibberish!! If you are not in a rush I'll feed you monthly comfortably....

presently I'm working for a finance institution on the island and I'm being paid well..you see all those things you mentioned are on borrowed funds. Presently, my bank has an outstanding loan of more than #1billion naira in Lagos-island market alone, how much more other places and other banks in Nigeria. I have personal given out loan of #6million naira in the last one month to business people..

my bank churn out loans in hundreds of millions monthly...do you know the number of employees that take housing and car loan yearly? if other banks open their books for you, your mouth will tear in amazement!!

Is it the government that bought cars and built houses for those that owns them? why is unemployment still on the increase year in year out? and the same government keep stealing from unemployment youths in proxy (SURE-P FERMA, NIS et al).. Nigerians keep moving out of the country enmass despite the prevailing circumstances outside our shores...and you open your mouth to talk trash!!!

I. won't blame you, I'll blame the system that moulded you...an unfinished useless product like you! I pity your end

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2014
ducii:

BUA just announced. the owners of CCNN just announced that they are following suit.

stop dwelling on hearsays.... show me the link guy...

birds of a feather.....
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ducii: 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

birds of a feather.....

If you take your time to do a little bit of research it will do your world a lot of good.
here is your link it took me 30 secs to get.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/bua-group-throws-its-weight-behind-cement-price-reduction-commends-dangote/193185/

2 Likes

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by shift15(m): 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

birds of a feather.....

http://leadership.ng/business/389188/bua-group-commends-dangote-cement-price-slash
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by babestell(f): 1:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ok this calls for action

There is a probability that the prices will increase after GEJ wins the election, so am thinking can I buy bags of cement and store it or should I mould blocks and keep till am ready to build house. Will the blocks break before 2 years?

Abeg anybody who knows should help me answer.
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by mex22: 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2014
THE OP IS THE AREA SALES MANAGER OF A CEMENT CO.I GUESS.YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT A SO CALLED LEARNED INDIVUDUAL IS WRITING.JEEZ.LET THE PRICE OF CEMENT BE 10K PER BAG SO AS TO SUSTAIN COMPETITION.RETARD!
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by omowolewa: 1:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
The price of any product is determined by a number of factors, not the production cost only.

One of the factors is the price of a market leader which Dangote like Cocacola is one. I am sure they can't sell below the cost just to out smart competition; it must have been what is obtainable within the industry.
Its just a reflection of the fact that the price has been somehow over priced before this time.

So op should relax except if you are only concern about you super profit.

1 Like

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2014
ducii:

If you take your time to do a little bit of research it will do your world a lot of good.
here is your link it took me 30 secs to get.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/bua-group-throws-its-weight-behind-cement-price-reduction-commends-dangote/193185/

everything is about politics...who is Dangote? who is BUA?.... still birds of a feather....they are the same.

the state of the economy will tell in weeks time
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
mex22:
THE OP IS THE AREA SALES MANAGER OF A CEMENT CO.I GUESS.YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT A SO CALLED LEARNED INDIVUDUAL IS WRITING.JEEZ.LET THE PRICE OF CEMENT BE 10K PER BAG SO AS TO SUSTAIN COMPETITION.RETARD!

Who is this one now? what is he saying? you don't have to resort to name calling you know...it shows who you really are..get a good life not some crooked one!!!
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by smada13(m): 2:26pm On Nov 04, 2014
omowolewa:
The price of any product is determined by a number of factors, not the production cost only.

One of the factors is the price of a market leader which Dangote like Cocacola is one. I am sure they can't sell below the cost just to out smart competition; it must have been what is obtainable within the industry.
Its just a reflection of the fact that the price has been somehow over priced before this time.

So op should relax except if you are only concern about you super profit.

sorry, where did you learn your own economics from? where did you school?

you sure need to go back to secondary school

please follow this link

http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/industries/7-most-commonly-pursued-price-determinants-in-industrial-market/22619/
Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by 99100(m): 3:42pm On Nov 04, 2014
@op,t
Let's commend good development when we find one.
Stop crying wolf were there is none.

1 Like

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ichidodo: 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2014
The market is key,the market is the determinant and benficiary to this price war.Dangote with the sheer size of his outfit stands at a great advantage,reducing the price is ' game,set and match' for his competitors as he gobbles up more market share leaving less-innovative rivals scrambling for scraps.At this juncture it will be crazy to manipulate or 'hoodwink' the market share gains far above the normal price point as this not only makes dangote products price unattractive but stands the prospect of losing his original market share-including his previous gains via reduction-to savvy cement rivals...Unless Dangote is a cement monopoly will he get away with it...

1 Like

Re: Negative Effects Of Dangote Cement Price's Reduction by ducii: 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
smada13:

everything is about politics...who is Dangote? who is BUA?.... still birds of a feather....they are the same.

the state of the economy will tell in weeks time

It is a price war, I just told you that they all still make profit

(1) (2) (Reply)

General Effiong's Son To Address Coastal Biafrans - Picture / Owo: Lawmaker Identifies Those Behind Massacre / 7 Facts About Beta Edu, The Suspended Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.