Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Call it whatever! - Poems For Review (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Call it whatever! (9838 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2006
If I had killed you, the reality would be I killed you. Even if I talked about it, I could not undo it: The reality would still be I killed you. If I claimed I didn't kill you, it wouldn't be the reality nor an opinion, it would be a lie. If I said my killing you was just because of the way you treated me, that, finally would be an opinion.

Probably all of the above --- in addition to a closing vicious circle.
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 11:25pm On Oct 30, 2006
Yes Gwatala. I recently jioned.

@ Somegirl

Pele- sorry
Pele o- hello (term usually used by elderly people to hi)

Miss Lady, your first word was Pele- which means sorry.
what is strange to me is how you overlooked all that was said just to find the negative point when I actually tried to compliment the both of you.

Please refrain from commenting on this futher, seeing as how I'd much rather converse intelligently rather than debate blindly.

@ Gwatala,
do you have any recent works, have you published any of your work, have you thought of publishing in the U.S., ever heard of the poor-man's copyright.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:13am On Oct 31, 2006
@chiluvGod8:

Yes, I used "pele" but it was directed towards Gwatala. He had said that he didn't feel well and I wrote my post while you were writing your own.

You can use "(e) pele" for example when somebody has hurt him/herself to express your sympathy. Didn't you notice that Nigerians tend to say "sorry" in the most odd situations? For example, when you trip, they might say "sorry" and you will wonder what for they are apologizing. Is your husband Igbo? Many Igbo names start with "chi"; that's why I am thinking he might be. If so, ask him what "ndo" means. As far as I know, "(e) pele" and "ndo" have more or less the same meaning. If you want to say "sorry" in Yoruba as in an apology you might say "(e) ma binu" (don't be angry).

Now, look at the time stamps and how close together your (#119 on: Yesterday at 03:17:26 PM) and my own (#120 on: Yesterday at 03:19:06 PM) post were posted; I hadn't even seen your own post when I wrote mine.

All this means I never apologized to you (neither did I apologize to Gwatala in that specific post; I simply expressed my sympathy because he was not feeling well). Hence, my question "which apologies?".

My dear, do you understand my post better now?
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 12:48am On Oct 31, 2006
@ somegirl

Miss Lady,

How silly of me to have misread and spoke on my misconception of what you were saying.
I stand corrected. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

However, I would still rather talk to you and gwatala about poetry and how awesome I think your work is rather than to go tit for tat. Who knows, one of you may have pertinent information that I could use and likewise, I may pertinent info that the either of you could use. smiley smiley smiley

Once again Miss Lady, with all due respect, I stand corrected. Good bye for now and God bless. cool
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 12:56am On Oct 31, 2006
And no, my husband is straight up Yoruba.

Secondly, in english we use the term sorry a lot as well. The tense in which you used it seemed to be a bit sarcastic. If you re-read your post you will that although you were not talking to me, if I thought that you were talking to me it would seem to a bit sarcastic don't you think?
Especially for a person who has just started speaking the Yoruba language.
So for me, it can be interpreted that way. smiley smiley smiley

But once again Miss Lady, I stand corrected.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:58am On Oct 31, 2006
Hey, come on, I never said you were silly. I don't even know you. However, you seem to like poetry. That's a nice thing for a start. smiley

Dear lady friend of mine, take my hand,
together we can run to this awesome land,
where a flowery language blossoms freely
and where we can write and read it daily.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 1:08am On Oct 31, 2006
chiluvGod8: Secondly, in english we use the term sorry a lot as well.

Really? When I say "sorry" (to express my sympathy), people here always tell me "it's not your fault"! grin

To be honest, I don't know what your understanding of my post to Gwatala might have been. One might need to know some of our personal history to understand it, even if fluent in Yoruba. On the other hand, maybe the message was not that well hidden as I want to think. grin
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 1:17am On Oct 31, 2006
Help, something some of us don't appreciate.
Beauty, something most eyes can't see.
Freedom, a liberty that some can afford to take.
Hate- it affects the world, it affects you, it can end with me.

Somegirl, what a beautiful flowery poem.  I really like it.  I could see a quiet meadow, green with plush grass & pretty flowers- pink, violet, blue. The sun was shining but not too high.  The wind was blowing but not too hard and there was this one true with the perfect shade that seemed to invite me to sit down and share my thoughts with it rather than the blue book that I held in my hand.

Nice. Short and sweet.  
Lately my poems have been sort of dry and preachy.  
Maybe next week I can write something pretty.
However, I like what you wrote.
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 1:21am On Oct 31, 2006
You are very funny. grin

I think that I just completely misunderstood what you wrote all together. shocked tongue cool

Anyway,
My husband and my mom says that I misunderstand everything anyway. English and Yoruba
grin
just kidding
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 1:29am On Oct 31, 2006
chiluvGod8: Especially for a person who has just started speaking the Yoruba language.

Keep learning! It'll mean the world to you hearing your beloved one say "o so/ko yoruba daradara" (you speak/write Yoruba well). With hard work you can get there. So just continue your efforts.

Wise things you are saying about help, beauty, freedom and hate. I wished there was not this much hatred in the world and that you could accept any hand offering help without having to fear the knife that might be hidden by a long sleeve.

Ka sun re o! Good night; it is allready after midnight here.

PS: Thanks for your compliments. I am looking forward to more of your poems as well. smiley
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 12:47pm On Oct 31, 2006
I see you guys have been busy in my absence.

@Chiluvgod8. I would like to know of the poor man's copyright, and any ideas you have. Be well.
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 3:47pm On Oct 31, 2006
gwatala:

I ask why you write. i.e. What is your immediate motivation for those two last poems. My (former) blogger profile? Recent conversations? Stray thoughts? or just the almighty muse in its recurrent mischief?

The above is my latest question to you Somegirl.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 4:13pm On Oct 31, 2006
somegirl: Probably all of the above --- in addition to a closing vicious circle.
Re: Call it whatever! by chiluvGod8(f): 5:44pm On Oct 31, 2006
Mr. Gwatala,

The poor man's copyright:

It is used a lot by American artists or artist who wish to be published in the US. I was initially discouraged until I discovered that all courts of law in the US and it's counterparts accept the poor man's copyright. Many artists publish their work based on the poor man's copyright then once they receive royalties from said copyright materials they register their work with [url=http://United States Copyright Office]United States Copyright Office[/url]

www.copyright.gov/

I also discovered that if I typed and edited my own work that I could take it to any printer to have it printed. Once it is printed, you can either take it to a publisher for publishing or negotiate a deal for stores to sell your work at a certain price ( the negotiation relies on how much the store would make off each book. say you wanted to sell the book for $12 dollars then you could negotiate that the store would get three dollars and you would get nine. If one million copies are sold then you would have made nine million dollars and the store's profit would be three million.)

Poor man's copyright refers to the method of using registered dating by the postal service or a notary public to date intellectual property, thereby helping to establish that the material has been in one's possession since a particular time. The concept is based on the notion that, in the event that such intellectual property were to be misused by a third party, the "poor-man's copyright" would at least establish a legally-recognized date of possession before any proof which a third party may possess.

The PMC was originally used by authors who sent copies of their own work to themselves through the mail without opening the envelopes in hopes that it would grant them legal protection by establishing a date at which the work was created.

Use of this method will probably not hold up in a court as it is simple for individuals to pre-send envelopes which can then be used later by placing the actual IP materials inside.

[url=http://The United States Copyright Office]The United States Copyright Office [/url] has this to say about the subject:

"I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it? The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration. "[1]

While the United Kingdom Patent Office says this:

", it may help copyright owners to deposit a copy of their work with a bank or solicitor or send a copy of their work to themselves by special delivery (which gives a clear date stamp on the envelope), leaving the envelope unopened on its return; this could establish that the work existed at this time. (Further details of special delivery should be available at Post Offices)."
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2006
Ah, now I know. I think I knew about this.

One day we should really compile these poems, maybe for performance (What do you think Somegirl?), or for publishing. I still think highly of that earlier collection "Drawing, line, "
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:42am On Nov 01, 2006
Performance sounds great, especially of the scene described in the lines below. grin But how do we get everybody back to Noffield House?

gwatala: To the Rugs of Noffield House, where it all began

Since they won't squeak when our host lay next door
snoring, reading, or wondering the evening away like us!
Even the Cameroonians missed the tryst that played
like a serenade beneath the walls of their gathered noses.

The complete title of the "earlier collection" is Drawing a Straight Line from H to I. Well, I am not in H anymore but you still in I. Maybe, you can title the sequel Drawing a Circuitous Line from I to L. sad
Re: Call it whatever! by aparisexy(m): 9:34am On Nov 01, 2006
u guys good especially gwatala
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2006
C C, it always had meant to be,
U & I, quickly, the time flew by,
Yet, the M A ster plan of Mr. D-man,
Did not include A C nor A M C,
Y? Eh, me, see, I don’t know why,
But R N B got silence’n’lonelitude again.
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2006
RN never stopped broadcasting, I think,
chatting on even in solo nights
And AMC never left the signal, I think,
though it often beeped static lights

M A stars faded off on helpless dreams;
D-man drawling in his own solo space,
And there he will be/rot since now it seems
None knows nor helps his own disgrace.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 9:02pm On Nov 01, 2006
[center]Am I going to see you soon?
Will it be before the next blue moon?
Two bright, round faces already smiled on us,
I think there is something we need to discuss,
Yet, I'll keep my mouth shut knowing
That, from you, I'll get no ring.

Forever, could I go on and on?
But isn't the truth that you've already gone?
To a land that is bevond a mere human's reach,
Where they stare in amazment when you preach,
Yet you know my place is flowery and nice,
Loosing me, you'll pay a prize.
[/center]
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2006
A Price Indeed

All these known, having tried, having paid more than twice over
Long to strive for a space known, needed, but often beyond reach.
Losing too, I did, long before able to know why parents so preach
and yet balk at the moment when their strengths be all to lever.

If there be hope, these eyes search too in vain
because day by day it pares off in thick weals of pain.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2006
None knows nor helps His own disgrace, really?
Does He not have you bowing to Him willingly?
D-man and you, the two of you are not the same,
And, if you were, it would be nothing but a shame.

Did you understand that D-man's the one who's old?
That He's the one strongly condemning fake, western cold
And preventing His only heir to experience the difference?
AC and AMC are bad, He knows by experience.

Now, some girl is planning on stealing His son,
Y can d-boy not stay with a local girl as He had done?
And you, were you able to find a way to rhyme “again”
With “D-man”? Trying hard, you might find your demon.

PS: I know movie theatres are an unknown ground for you. So let [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=amc+%22experience+the+difference%22&lr=]Google[/url] be your guide.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:30pm On Nov 03, 2006
RN stopped broadcasting long ago,
for me, it was the final blow.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 12:43pm On Nov 03, 2006
Yesterday, in Private …

Loneliness, complaining about loneliness,
In the face of my offer for companionship,
Did you not just decline my request to bark a ship
Leaving known shore in quest for shared happiness?
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 10:49pm On Nov 07, 2006
I probably need to die
'Cause you won’t just say “hi”,
Only when laying 6 feet deep,
Will you come to weep.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 1:14am On Nov 21, 2006
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 10:30pm On Nov 29, 2006
Where My Heart Belongs

Emerald forests, hot and cold springs,
Roaming, merging, steaming, and I,
Shivering and sweating all at once
In between these unlike shores,
Am aching for the right site
Where the waters will warmly welcome me.

Such a long time I haven’t been home,
There, I hope to learn where my heart belongs.
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 6:43pm On Nov 30, 2006
[deleted]
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 10:26am On Dec 01, 2006
[also deleted]
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 3:07pm On Dec 02, 2006
I am tired of writing poems. Actually, somehow I think I have lost the flow. Did I tell you that this one has won me a book? I've blogged about it. Look it up.
Re: Call it whatever! by somegirl(f): 3:14pm On Dec 02, 2006
I can't tell you whether you lost it nor if you ever had it. All I can say is that I love some of your poems (not all) and that I just can't get enough of your writing. However, I miss your dreams.
Re: Call it whatever! by gwatala(m): 3:33pm On Dec 02, 2006
You miss my dreams? What is that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Poem for Change! / Write, Comment And Paste Your Poem Now! / Nigeria Of My Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.