Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? (1530 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / BRT With Full Passengers Plunged Into Lagos Lagoon From 3rd Mainland Bridge / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by shortgun(m): 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
Hello Nairalanders and gurus in d house.

Every time I go to renew my vehicle license I am also asked to pay for 3rd party insurance which most times is the most expensive document when renewing vehicle papers.
I also noticed that the VIO office selects insurance companies at their discretion and ask you to pay, the insurance company for last year is different from that of this year.
The car owners has no say as to which insurance company should insure his vehicle.

With my little knowledge of insurance, I understand that third-party insurance is to cover the cost of damages/repairs for the other vehicle(s) and not the title holder.

Now, fast forward to an accident scene, the police will come, measure distances, blame a particular driver for the accident and asks him to fix the car of the other driver or his vehicle will be towed to a police station and left there to rust if you can't afford to pay for d damages/repairs or until you are able to pay up.
Nobody talks about insurance

What is the use of paying for a service you will never get?
Are there means that a layman like me can demand for for d insurance companies appointment by the licensing Office to pay for repairs?
Can we decide not to pay for 3rd party insurance?

1 Like

Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2014
You have a say as to what insurance service you want to use, but most nigerians want a complete package in 1 place and so they don't mind if its "gazzuzz and sons insurance company nigeria ltd" as long as it expires in a years time they are ok with it.

3rd party insurance as the name goes covers the "3rd" party meaning if you cause an accident, the property you caused damage too will be fixed by the insurance company and not yours.

3rd party is minimum compulsory insurance cover for vehicles in nigeria.

Now to the effectiveness of the insurance company, its dependent on who u use, ill check my particulars and recommend 1 for you they paid 230k when my drivers door was involved in an accident (city 2007) 2 years ago.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by shortgun(m): 5:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
You have a say as to what insurance service you want to use, but most nigerians want a complete package in 1 place and so they don't mind if its "gazzuzz and sons insurance company nigeria ltd" as long as it expires in a years time they are ok with it.

3rd party insurance as the name goes covers the "3rd" party meaning if you cause an accident, the property you caused damage too will be fixed by the insurance company and not yours.

3rd party is minimum compulsory insurance cover for vehicles in nigeria.

Now to the effectiveness of the insurance company, its dependent on who u use, ill check my particulars and recommend 1 for you they paid 230k when my drivers door was involved in an accident (city 2007) 2 years ago.
You mean your 3rd party insurance company paid for the damage to your car?
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
shortgun:

You mean your 3rd party insurance company paid for the damage to your car?

Nope the other way round, and after that I changed insurance company.
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by shortgun(m): 6:07pm On Nov 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Nope the other way round, and after that I changed insurance company.
OK, I get it.
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by Gentlebabs(m): 6:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
Third party insurance is supposed to indemnify (compensate) the person you hit of an amount not more than #1,000,000. It saves you the stress and time of speaking too much grammar at the scene of crime. It is a civil way of resolving "You Don Hit My Car " Cases. All you need do is to ensure that your 3rd party is genuine & there is a website to check that, just Google it. The flat amount is #5,000 & you have a right to choose whatever insurance company you choose to offer you this service. Hope this little piece helps. Cheers!
shortgun:
Hello Nairalanders and gurus in d house.

Every time I go to renew my vehicle license I am also asked to pay for 3rd party insurance which most times is the most expensive document when renewing vehicle papers.
I also noticed that the VIO office selects insurance companies at their discretion and ask you to pay, the insurance company for last year is different from that of this year.
The car owners has no say as to which insurance company should insure his vehicle.

With my little knowledge of insurance, I understand that third-party insurance is to cover the cost of damages/repairs for the other vehicle(s) and not the title holder.

Now, fast forward to an accident scene, the police will come, measure distances, blame a particular driver for the accident and asks him to fix the car of the other driver or his vehicle will be towed to a police station and left there to rust if you can't afford to pay for d damages/repairs or until you are able to pay up.
Nobody talks about insurance

What is the use of paying for a service you will never get?
Are there means that a layman like me can demand for for d insurance companies appointment by the licensing Office to pay for repairs?
Can we decide not to pay for 3rd party insurance?
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by shortgun(m): 8:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
Gentlebabs:
Third party insurance is supposed to indemnify (compensate) the person you hit of an amount not more than #1,000,000. It saves you the stress and time of speaking too much grammar at the scene of crime. It is a civil way of resolving "You Don Hit My Car " Cases. All you need do is to ensure that your 3rd party is genuine & there is a website to check that, just Google it. The flat amount is #5,000 & you have a right to choose whatever insurance company you choose to offer you this service. Hope this little piece helps. Cheers!

Can I really ask my third party insurance company to pay for damages/repairs to the other vehicle(s)?
How do I go about this?
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:43pm On Nov 04, 2014
shortgun:

Can I really ask my third party insurance company to pay for damages/repairs to the other vehicle(s)?
How do I go about this?

this how it works in UK

third party insurance mean that if you get involved in an accident and it is your faulty your insurance company will cover the cost to the damage

if it is you who is at faulty still your insurance will cover the damages but your montly premium will go up

Third party insurance is the legal minimum. This means you're covered if you have an accident causing damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property. It doesn't cover any other costs like repair to your own vehicle.
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by lonelydora: 11:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
I do mine just to make policemen not to delay my movement, I'm not bothered which coy does it because in Nigeria, Insurance hardly works.

I had a personal experience with Insurance coy when i was still in Kaduna.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by colossus2: 6:50am On Nov 05, 2014
I do it just for my papers to be complete.
I doubt if that thing works in naija for the layman....maybe just company cars.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by Gentlebabs(m): 5:57am On Nov 22, 2014
shortgun:

How do I go about this?
Yes you can. If your 3rd party is geuine, call the insurance coy at the scene of crime and report the incidence, then they will.advise you, usually to take the 3rd party vehicle to the nearest garage.
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:35am On Nov 22, 2014
Gentlebabs:
Yes you can. If your 3rd party is geuine, call the insurance coy at the scene of crime and report the incidence, then they will.advise you, usually to take the 3rd party vehicle to the nearest garage.

in this case its the other driver's insurance that has to pay the cost of repairs but only if that driver is at faulty

if you are at faulty your insurance only cover the cost of repairs to other driver, yourself you have to fix the car at your own expense

remember the 3rd party is cover you when you are in accident that you are at faulty hence you UK any car on the road should be insured so that even at any accident that you are not even at faulty you are covered by the other driver's insurance whether the policy is 3rd party or comprehensive
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by Gentlebabs(m): 10:40pm On Jan 24, 2015
shortgun:

How do I go about this?
Yes you can, check your policy document, get their phone number and call them. But be sure your 3rd party is original. Check your vehicle insurance status on (www.askniid.org)
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by Lancier(m): 2:15am On Apr 01, 2015
Do you know you need not leave the comfort of your home or office to process your insurance policies? We at InsuranceDirect2U will do all the hassles for you by processing all needed documents promptly, ensuring you get prompt and efficient service. We deliver your policy documents direct to your doorstep plus full claims support should you have a claim in future.

Call us now and give us your brief. Our number is 08033054437 Email: lancier224@yahoo.com BB Pin: 2bd85fdb WITHIN NIGERIA ONLY

InsuranceDirect2U...Quality Service Delivery Guaranteed!!
Re: How Can A Vehicle Owner Benefit From 3rd Party Insurance? by Ninilowo(m): 11:31am On Apr 01, 2015
Good lesson I ve learnt.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Possible 'tokunbo' Jeep That #5 Million Can Buy / Joint Tax Board Bans Sale Of Emblems, Stickers, & Issuing Of Levies To Motorists / Likely Cost Of Mitsubishi Eclipse Engine.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.