Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,899 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. (6218 Views)

Photo: Who Is Your Best President So Far? / Obasanjo Wants To Make Buhari President So That He'll Die In Office - Fayose / Who Is The Best President Nigeria Has Ever Had? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2014
First of all, before I am crucified, let me say that what I mean is in a comparative sense rather than an absolute sense; I believe he's performed far better than the others since democracy, and here's why:

He established the EFCC, the ICPC and strengthened the Code of Conduct Bureau to fight corruption in Nigeria. Convicting for the first (and only) time, high-ranking government officials like Tafa Balogun and Alams, albeit politically motivated, I wish the tempo could have been maintained subsequently.

When he left office in 2007, the growth rate of the economy had risen from 3% to 7%, making Nigeria one of the fastest growing economies in the world. He did this by finding really excellent people to work with him eg Ngozi, Ezekwesili, Ribadu, Soludo, El-Rufai, Dora etc. He discovered all these people and convinced them to contribute their quota.

The Nigerian foreign reserve was only $2 billion when he came into office in 1999. By 2007, when he left office, the reserve had risen to a whopping $43 billion and he secured $18 billion debt pardons from the Paris and London clubs and got Nigeria free of debt!!!

The banking consolidation and reform, the telecom reform, the education reform (with Obi's UBE), the due process office reform, the servicom reform, the privatization reform, the NAFDAC and NDLEA reforms and finally, keeping the peace, both internally and in our international peace-keeping mission that always brought us glory, were all from this administration. I wonder how we were surviving without GSM in 1998, and how many jobs that revolution created. All this in 8 years, while Jonathan has been there since February 2010 (4 years plus now), with absolutely nothing to show for it except corruption and insecurity. Jonathan's locomotive trains I think is a good start sha.

He wasn't perfect, but I think to have achieved all these is somewhat commendable, especially the institutional strength he built in the country. I'm always in tears when I compare that to this near-imbecilic government that people are shouting all over the place about because of rice and beans they will get. We deserve much better.

-Chylo

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by ahmed486: 2:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
That is a pure lie
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
ahmed486:
That is a pure lie

Which part of the article is a lie, sir?

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by mailadedamola(m): 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
true talk. kudos dude.
Gud leaders re like basebal umpires; they go practically unnoticed
when doing their jobs right while we later realise them when they
leave office. eg Former Nigeria president (OLUSEGUN OBASANJO)

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by tit(f): 2:57pm On Nov 04, 2014
What criteria do you use to judge a government.
I shall propose:

1) justice delivery (for the public)
2) rule of law (for the political class)
3) security
4) education
5) health
6) agricultural production
7) transportation
cool power generation
9) public water supply
10) housing

how well did Obj do in these areas?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Adminisher: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
Supported. To add to that, all currently well performing GEJ ministers were inherited from the Obasanjo administration or nominated by him personally. You can go and check this fact.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by iconize(m): 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
Genbuhari, please come and do justice to this moronic opinion.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by saintikechi(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
All that period we did not have light in my area, one could hardly sleep at night cos of the noise from i pass my neighbour. But today the story is different. gej has performed more than obj.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by jamace(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by redsun(m): 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2014
The only reason why OBJ walks the streets of Nigeria a freeman today is because Nigeria is a rogue state.

In a law abiding society,he will either be locked up for the rest of his dubious life or be executed for crimes against humanity.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
iconize:
Genbuhari, please come and do justice to this moronic opinion.

Forget pre-democracy, lets assume they were all equally as bad then, but what do think from the period of our new democracy?
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:04pm On Nov 04, 2014
jamace:
Obasanjo's ill gotten wealth:
https://www.nairaland.com/1580013/derivation-deprivation-ii-ill-gotten-wealth

I never said he dint loot or get illegal wealth (afterall all the subsequent govts have looted too), am talking about performance now.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 04, 2014
Gowon will have something to say about that.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
Obiagelli:
Gowon will have something to say about that.

What about post-democracy? Leave the whole old generation of leaders, lets class them as same.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by tobtap: 3:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
Chylo:

I never said he dint loot or get illegal wealth (afterall all the subsequent govts have looted too), am talking about performance now.
dont waste your time trying to educate dos ignoramus like REDSUN and other fellow saTANoids

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
Chylo:

What about post-democracy? Leave the whole old generation of leaders, lets class them as same.
You have got to give it to obj, the man had a vision, if only he was allow to pick his successor. I also believe greed did him bad on his side.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 04, 2014
Obasanjo presidency was actually great. I agree his presidency will be remembered in Nigeria as one of the greatest.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by dridowu: 3:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
Hate him or like him, i gbadun Baba Iyabo as a person.
@op, all dos agency you mentioned are dead now , the only thing remaining for them is to be buried anytime soon.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Ngwakwe: 3:26pm On Nov 04, 2014
To summarise this thread, PDP has transformed Nigeria beyond expectations before Jonathan's administration destroyed everything with his cluelessness.

If OBJ had succeeded with his third term agenda, Nigeria would be among eight ( 8 ) best Economies in the word.

Goodluck Jonathan has destroyed Nigeria Agricultural revolution, Power generation and comatose every rail and road infrastructure inherited from previous governments.

GEJ must be sent back to Otuoke in 2019.

7 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by kasiem(m): 3:31pm On Nov 04, 2014
if obj is a great president why are u guys still telling us that pdp has been killing us since 1999? see irony of deceits
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by jamace(m): 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:35pm On Nov 04, 2014
kasiem:
if obj is a great president why are u guys still telling us that pdp has been killing us since 1999? see irony of deceits

Oga, you seem to have a hard time distinguishing facts from politics. It doesn't matter the party I support, what i'm saying is Jonathan govt is the worst we have seen since democracy. That is the point you need to argue.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
Thief O ?

[size=28pt]Who is Thief Olusegun Obasanjo?[/size]

[size=28pt]The ex-president that sold off virtually all our oil-blocks with no accountability of what happened to the revenue realised[/size]
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
@ OP

Are you talking about the Thief O that we know?

smh
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
GenBuhari:
@ OP

Are you talking about the Thief O that we know?

smh

So is it cabal Yaradua, or Jonathan that are not thieves? Remember, I was speaking comparatively. So tell me who has been the best then. Jonathan? Am talking about performance now. All past leaders have stolen, big stealing or small stealing!

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by freelife4all(m): 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2014
Chylo:
First of all, before I am crucified, let me say that what I mean is in a comparative sense rather than an absolute sense; I believe he's performed far better than the others since democracy, and here's why:

He established the EFCC, the ICPC and strengthened the Code of Conduct Bureau to fight corruption in Nigeria. Convicting for the first (and only) time, high-ranking government officials like Tafa Balogun and Alams, albeit politically motivated, I wish the tempo could have been maintained subsequently.

When he left office in 2007, the growth rate of the economy had risen from 3% to 7%, making Nigeria one of the fastest growing economies in the world. He did this by finding really excellent people to work with him eg Ngozi, Ezekwesili, Ribadu, Soludo, El-Rufai, Dora etc. He discovered all these people and convinced them to contribute their quota.

The Nigerian foreign reserve was only $2 billion when he came into office in 1999. By 2007, when he left office, the reserve had risen to a whopping $43 billion and he secured $18 billion debt pardons from the Paris and London clubs and got Nigeria free of debt!!!

The banking consolidation and reform, the telecom reform, the education reform (with Obi's UBE), the due process office reform, the servicom reform, the privatization reform, the NAFDAC and NDLEA reforms and finally, keeping the peace, both internally and in our international peace-keeping mission that always brought us glory, were all from this administration. I wonder how we were surviving without GSM in 1998, and how many jobs that revolution created. All this in 8 years, while Jonathan has been there since February 2010 (4 years plus now), with absolutely nothing to show for it except corruption and insecurity. Jonathan's locomotive trains I think is a good start sha.

He wasn't perfect, but I think to have achieved all these is somewhat commendable, especially the institutional strength he built in the country. I'm always in tears when I compare that to this near-imbecilic government that people are shouting all over the place about because of rice and beans they will get. We deserve much better.

-Chylo
You are an enemy of Nigeria. Well, since this is your opinion, i don't need to abuse you. But to be frank you dey talk like person wen dem break in head. OgborOgbo.
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
freelife4all:
You are an enemy of Nigeria. Well, since this is your opinion, i don't need to abuse you. But to be frank you dey talk like person wen dem break in head. OgborOgbo.

Though I don't know what ogborogbor is, please can we have your opinion too with facts and figures? Who has been a better president since democracy?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 04, 2014
So basically what you are telling me is that he achieved nothing tangible in 8 years

Non of the things you listed is of anyisgnificance to the man on the street. brb no time now.
Chylo:

-Chylo
Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
Every single president has been better . IBB maybe a close second worst to Thief O.
Chylo:

So is it cabal Yaradua, or Jonathan that are not thieves? Remember, I was speaking comparatively. So tell me who has been the best then. Jonathan? Am talking about performance now. All past leaders have stolen, big stealing or small stealing!

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by Chylo(m): 4:17pm On Nov 04, 2014
GenBuhari:
So basically what you are telling me is that he achieved nothing tangible in 8 years

Non of the things you listed is of anyisgnificance to the man on the street. brb no time now.

My friend, keep quiet. Wat do you mean? Would you have that China fone dat ur using to type this nonsense? What about all the people working in MTN, Glo, Airtel, Etisalat, Huawei, Multilinks and all dose type of companies? What about all the alaba boys or the guys in computer villages eating from unlocking fones, pimping fones, selling recharge cards and repairing mobiles, what about all the FDI from it and gains in internet coverage? Believe me, that policy alone has created millions of jobs and the only thing that would come close is when someone fixes power.

That is only one sector oo, I dont even want to go into banking or the other sectors. Why not argue intelligently? What affects lives more than food to eat. Is it raising fuel price or locomotive train or rebasing economy that has benefited Nigerians? Take time o

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by oduastates: 4:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
Yep.
But he always gravitates towards stupidity whenever it is time to choose his successors. He ends up destroying his work

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Obasanjo Has Been Nigeria's Best President So Far. by focus7: 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2014
Op I really pity u o, for what I know the Jonathian on NL will not take this easy with u o, they can take anything but not u exposing the evil administration of Jonathan, they will be here asking for ur head soon. But in all honesty u have really hit the nail on the right point. This deceptive and hypocritical government knows nothing but to be feeding the populace with loads of lies and fake report of Jonathan is working shit. All the structures that Obasanjo built that should have been sufficient for a competent leadership to use as good bases to run a good government were destroyed by Jonathan to give room for mismanagement and corruption. Amaechi was among the first to cry out that Jonathan is killing the economy but some ignorants called him big mouth, Mrs Ngonzi has dined with the devil, she has thrown the integrity we all know her for into the air to become a serial liar telling us that the economy is growing only for us to hear not long again that they are dipping hands into ECA. That account is fast going into extinction due to Jonathan looting in collaboration with minister of petroleum and Ngozi Okonjo. We have heard enough lies as relating to the security development. To cut it short, Jonathan has no idea of how to rule Nigeria, its a disaster going to happen to re-elect him into power for another term.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Anyone Watching Aljazeera Analysis On BH? / Senator Akpabio Speaks On Biafra / Fuel Will Continue To Sell For N145 Per Litre-NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.