Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? (997 Views)

Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money / 100 Small Business Ideas You Can Start In Nigeria / What Business Can I Start In Nigeria With N3000000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by anienge001: 6:07am On Nov 07, 2014
It is neither news no secret that every government contractor(whatever the magnitude) is unofficially 'required' to give 10% kickback to the officer facilitating the contract award. This is even discussed openly in some offices. Initially it was regarded as corruption, but today, it is the order of the day. Aside government officials, anybody that shows you a direction to get any money wants you to part with 10%. It has gone so bad that even when you get a scholarship, people in the office granting the scholarship want 10%.

Some weeks ago, a guy approached me and asked if I can make supply of some commodity to a company in diaspora. I said yes. He started negotiating the price per unit of the commodity. His bargain was not even the cost price of the good at source. But the most annoying part, was that he wanted 10% of the price for each unit I supply. My question are; Who started this 10%? When did it start? Is it legal? Is this a universal thing or one of those things unique to Nigeria?
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by Chazzyboy: 6:41am On Nov 07, 2014
Is called chop make I chop
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by kennyslim1(m): 6:41am On Nov 07, 2014
it's sheer greed
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by Curiouscity(m): 4:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
Chazzyboy:
Is called chop make I chop

Yea, that is the mentality. IMO, it is d bane of our society. People should do their work and mind their salary.
@Op, it started in d '90s but got worse with d coming of civilian rule in 1999-2003. Everyone wants to get rich overnight.

2 Likes

Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 3:08am On Nov 10, 2014
Curiouscity:

Yea, that is the mentality. IMO, it is d bane of our society. People should do their work and mind their salary.
@Op, it started in d '90s but got worse with d coming of civilian rule in 1999-2003. Everyone wants to get rich overnight.

I did say it started in the so called first republic, that was the underlying reason why Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu lead coup.
10 % is always the starting point, by the time you pass through all the conduit pipe of corruption, you will arrive at 40% percent.
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by anienge001: 7:09am On Nov 10, 2014
Curiouscity:

indigene:

I did say it started in the so called first republic, that was the underlying reason why Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu lead coup.
10 % is always the starting point, by the time you pass through all the conduit pipe of corruption, you will arrive at 40% percent.

Thank you guys.

@indigene, it is really terrible. But most of us think, it is normal. Is it really normal?
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 11, 2014
anienge001:

Thank you guys.

@indigene, it is really terrible. But most of us think, it is normal. Is it really normal?
How can corruption in whatever shape or angle be deem to be normal financial corruption is far worst than terorisim, it kills thousands on daily basis, it is the worst human right abuse. But no longer than neccessary, all those from irksome office petty clerk who demands for pure water, and those in corridors of power shall soon vanish (Bible Book Of Psalms 37 verses 9-10) Proverbs 2vs 21-22 statement are clearly assuring.
Corruption do not end only on looting public tresuary, if such thing exist, Moral corruption debases family, the community, etc
Drop by at http://jw.org
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 11, 2014
anienge001:

Thank you guys.

How can corruption in whatever shape or angle be deem to be normal financial corruption is far worst than terorisim, it kills thousands on daily basis, it is the worst human right abuse. But no longer than neccessary, all those from irksome office petty clerk who demands for pure water, and those in corridors of power shall soon vanish (Bible Book Of Psalms 37 verses 9-10) Proverbs 2vs 22 statements are clearly assuring.
Corruption do not end only on looting public tresuary, if such thing exist, Moral corruption debases family, the community, individuals, a corrupt person hates the almighty God, even if he puts on outward cloak of hypocrital holiness.
Drop by at http://jw.org
Re: When Did 10% Start In Nigeria?? by mobileincome(m): 1:38am On Nov 11, 2014
This is the crazy legacy that has eaten deep into the Nigerian system that our fathers cannot wash themselves clean from. I wonder what the coming generation will look like......not a wonder..SCARED

(1) (Reply)

She’s 21, An Entrepreneur And Trains Others To Start Businesses / Has Konga Affiliate Program Become A SCAM? / 80% Nigerians Do Not Have Taxpayers Identification Numbers – Edo Tax Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.