Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here (2278 Views)

Knickknacks For Programmers/ Web Developers And UX/UI Professionals / Ten Great UX/UI Design Cheat Sheets / Front-end And Back-end Web Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 10:16am On Nov 08, 2014
Hello, I am a Front End Web Developer. I also do UX/UI Design too. I barely come over here to nairaland, but when I do. All I hear about is Java, Programming, c++, etc. No one talks about the great javascript and its frameworks (angularjs, nodejs) or its perfectly compiled library(jquery). People don't also talk about the beautiful features of html5, and css3. I am a hungry front end developer. I design everyday, I do UX/UI work too, most of which are freelance. I want to know, is it that you guys are not interested in it or what is the problem. Currently I teach, and I do it for free. I am building a ui for a design blog I want to build for my naija people. Just as research is the first principle of good ux. I need to know what the problem is. Why do we care less about good design but care too much about functionality?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by davidsmith8900: 11:02am On Nov 08, 2014
omeizaowuda:
Hello, I am a Front End Web Developer. I also do UX/UI Design too. I barely come over here to nairaland, but when I do. All I hear about is Java, Programming, c++, etc. No one talks about the great javascript and its frameworks (angularjs, nodejs) or its perfectly compiled library(jquery). People don't also talk about the beautiful features of html5, and css3. I am a hungry front end developer. I design everyday, I do UX/UI work too, most of which are freelance. I want to know, is it that you guys are not interested in it or what is the problem. Currently I teach, and I do it for free. I am building a ui for a design blog I want to build for my naija people. Just as research is the first principle of good ux. I need to know what the problem is. Why do we care less about good design but care too much about functionality?

I can't speak for others, but there are 2 things I want you to please consider.

1. There is a special thread for web designers, web developers at - https://www.nairaland.com/webmasters . More than likely you'll find people talking MORE about web development and web designing over there than here in this thread. People 4get that Web Designing & Web Programming ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. I personally can program any web site but I can't make a good web design. I'll need a design to rely on because Im not creative when designing websites.

2. I might be wrong but I've personally noticed that from creating new threads, there seems to be mostly 2 types of people on Nairaland's Programming Sections that look at my threads and respond. There are others but mostly 2 types of people respond. The 1st type are either beginners/novices and are trying to get in the game . Some to make money (which I understand) and some to learn, but mostly to make money quick and easy. These people ask questions like 'So where can I get this book?' 'Is Java or Python better?' 'How long will it take me to get this done?' 'What do I need to make an app like ____?' N then there is the 2nd type, they are the experts/veterans who really know what they doing. They've been in this game for years and can tell you the best tools to use and have tested/experimented with different things. These people leave responses like "If It wasn't for Linus, you wouldn't have an open source computer talk less of a smartphone', 'Python is a better programming language for APIs' n then they post APIs or other work they've build with Python. In other words, the experts/vets talk shit and then they back it up work of their own so that people can use to their stuff or promote it. But then they argue back n forth.

With that said the beginners/novices are not worried about the details as of now bcuz they need money to survive and live with the small amount of time that they have, while the experts/vets already know the details but are focused on other things. I might be wrong, but that is what I've noticed.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by africanaija: 11:13am On Nov 08, 2014
OP, I understand where you are coming from but to begin with Nairaland's Programming section doesn't really have that many viewers to begin with. Like I don't know if people are taking Nairaland's programming section serious but I've statically watched Nairaland and from my observation, about an average of 7,000-8,000 (guests + members) come to Nairaland everyday. Now Alexa and Wolfram Alpha tells me that Nairaland has about 1 million+ visitors a day but I personally see 7,000-8,000 (guests + members). Now out of that 7,000-8,000, from what I've seen about a max of 50 (guests + members) come to the programming section. Many of them are the same people I see all the time, like asalimpo, dhtml18, Javanian, blueyedgeek, (if I 4got u, please 4give me) and many more but they are the same people. So maybe if we had more people come to Nairaland not to even talk about Nairaland's programming section, more than likely they'll have different wants and needs, than those already posted.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by naijatechworld: 11:18am On Nov 08, 2014
Yeah, I feel you. I've seen alot of Node.js and Angular.js stuff, but I didn't know if people were interested. By the way, can somebody please tell me what is the difference between a web designer, a web developer and a web programmer?
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by GodMode: 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
davidsmith8900:

1. There is a special thread for web designers, web developers at - https://www.nairaland.com/webmasters . More than likely you'll find people talking MORE about web development and web designing over there than here in this thread. People 4get that Web Designing & Web Programming ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. I personally can program any web site but I can't make a good web design. I'll need a design to rely on because Im not creative when designing websites.

2. I might be wrong but I've personally noticed that from creating new threads, there seems to be mostly 2 types of people on Nairaland's Programming Sections that look at my threads and respond. There are others but mostly 2 types of people respond. The 1st type are either beginners/novices and are trying to get in the game . Some to make money (which I understand) and some to learn, but mostly to make money quick and easy. These people ask questions like 'So where can I get this book?' 'Is Java or Python better?' 'How long will it take me to get this done?' 'What do I need to make an app like ____?' N then there is the 2nd type, they are the experts/veterans who really know what they doing. They've been in this game for years and can tell you the best tools to use and have tested/experimented with different things. These people leave responses like "If It wasn't for Linus, you wouldn't have an open source computer talk less of a smartphone', 'Python is a better programming language for APIs' n then they post APIs or other work they've build with Python. In other words, the experts/vets talk shit and then they back it up work of their own so that people can use to their stuff or promote it. But then they argue back n forth.

With that said the beginners/novices are not worried about the details as of now bcuz they need money to survive and live with the small amount of time that they have, while the experts/vets already know the details but are focused on other things. I might be wrong, but that is what I've noticed.

web designing is part of programming... the issue is been discussed https://www.nairaland.com/1985673/webmasters-section-dying
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by asalimpo(m): 1:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
Op, there's a webmaster section. That's where ur post shudve gone.
@davidsmith,
you're right. Theyre 2 distinct groups tht visit d programmng section. Newbies, intermeiates/advanced.
Most of d threads are novice related. I thnk personally, many pros/intermediates are inactive/exiting d section going by d amount of non-trivial threads posted.
Threads of a weighty nature die out here discouragng d pros from partcipatg more.
Overall, the programmng section is considerably less active than other sections.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by akay48(m): 11:41am On Nov 09, 2014
naijatechworld:
Yeah, I feel you. I've seen alot of Node.js and Angular.js stuff, but I didn't know if people were interested. By the way, can somebody please tell me what is the difference between a web designer, a web developer and a web programmer?

Personally, I believe the designer is mostly involved in the front end development, looks and feel of the website. The programmer on the other hand takes care of the backend requirements, the scripting, security and 'Functionality' of the website. And lastly, I think a web developer is just a hybrid of the two others. Although, the answer you get most times depends on who you ask.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 09, 2014
Space booked (in case i come up with something to say which is doubtful as davidsmith has already said it)
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I don't get what this post is about. Is it about making money or designing. Designing is a broad concept. It requires you know programming...and point of correction. Everyone is creative. My designs are aweful before I started following design principles. If you want to be creative, you need to channel more energy into design.

And also, I saw the segregation between programmers and webmasters. My bad.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by internetpo(m): 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
Course not many esp. the novices on Nairaland have an idea on it. besides who wants to waste time on discussing UX and UIs when you can discuss on how to make N50,000 from programming one adsense blog like that. grin grin
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 6:53am On Nov 11, 2014
internetpo:
Course not many esp. the novices on Nairaland have an idea on it. besides who wants to waste time on discussing UX and UIs when you can discuss on how to make N50,000 from programming one adsense blog like that. grin grin

Ok o, Lemme tell you this. I did a freelance design job for a client on elance. I got paid $960. Is that a waste of time. See, before now...we just design. We do not care about usability. When I started learning ux, I did a lot of pro bono projects to help me improve. Read a lot of psychology notes and trust me, I am still learning. We Nigerians need to start doing things just because we are passionate about it. Its ok to care much about money. But, if you enjoy what are doing, money is just something you collect to appreaciate your effort. In other words, know your onions and you won't have any problem with money. All what I just told you are advice I got from great designers like chris coyier, douglas, charkely, the teamtreehouse guy nick pettit, sara viera, nicholas gallagher, I had the prevelege of sending words to them on twitter(and they replied). If you want to get their attention, you can also send words to them and these people are so humble that upon the thousands of tweet they get in a day. They still have time to reply we upcoming designers. I am a front end dev, but if you are a back end dev. You might need to look for very good developers to tweet to.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 6:59am On Nov 11, 2014
akay48:

Personally, I believe the designer is mostly involved in the front end development, looks and feel of the website. The programmer on the other hand takes care of the backend requirements, the scripting, security and 'Functionality' of the website. And lastly, I think a web developer is just a hybrid of the two others. Although, the answer you get most times depends on who you ask.

I feel a web designer can be someone that designs(mainly graphics ui) the look and feel, but does not necessarily need to know how to code it. But, why not use front-end developer and back end developer?
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 7:05am On Nov 11, 2014
africanaija:
OP, I understand where you are coming from but to begin with Nairaland's Programming section doesn't really have that many viewers to begin with. Like I don't know if people are taking Nairaland's programming section serious but I've statically watched Nairaland and from my observation, about an average of 7,000-8,000 (guests + members) come to Nairaland everyday. Now Alexa and Wolfram Alpha tells me that Nairaland has about 1 million+ visitors a day but I personally see 7,000-8,000 (guests + members). Now out of that 7,000-8,000, from what I've seen about a max of 50 (guests + members) come to the programming section. Many of them are the same people I see all the time, like asalimpo, dhtml18, Javanian, blueyedgeek, (if I 4got u, please 4give me) and many more but they are the same people. So maybe if we had more people come to Nairaland not to even talk about Nairaland's programming section, more than likely they'll have different wants and needs, than those already posted.

So, how do we get the serious programmers to be interested?
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by sadcheese: 5:40pm On Nov 11, 2014
I work for a Boston Company as an AngularJS developer/UX researcher.
I was just talking to the guys over at Google NG about this stuff. There arent a lot of Front-enders around but that's because there arent a lot of web apps being built.
This is Lagos, not Palo Alto.
Boston is similar(in terms of lack of front-end engineers)
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by africanaija: 7:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
omeizaowuda:

So, how do we get the serious programmers to be interested?

What do you mean by "serious programmers"? I would think that everybody is taking programming serious in their own way. What are things a programmer must have to be classified as a "serious programmer" to you?

If you are interested in getting more programmers, than I think that 1st of all Nairaland needs to change its algorithms and setup. Then we need to let people know that there are some Nairaland programmers that are doing good things (with a backup of their work). I believe that success breeds more success. At times when I want to post reasonable things, I get banned. That is really frustrating when Im really trying hard to share information to people who really need it. Like no offense to anyone but I feel as if those who moderate/run Nairaland, do so like a tyrant. If they don't like something, then ban it. Look at other popular forums, they let free speech reign. Like Im still amazed that a site like this has been up for so long without any disruption from the competition.
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by omeizaowuda(m): 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2014
africanaija:

What do you mean by "serious programmers"? I would think that everybody is taking programming serious in their own way. What are things a programmer must have to be classified as a "serious programmer" to you?

If you are interested in getting more programmers, than I think that 1st of all Nairaland needs to change its algorithms and setup. Then we need to let people know that there are some Nairaland programmers that are doing good things (with a backup of their work). I believe that success breeds more success. At times when I want to post reasonable things, I get banned. That is really frustrating when Im really trying hard to share information to people who really need it. Like no offense to anyone but I feel as if those who moderate/run Nairaland, do so like a tyrant. If they don't like something, then ban it. Look at other popular forums, they let free speech reign. Like Im still amazed that a site like this has been up for so long without any disruption from the competition.

So, funny...that was a response to a reply from someone else who said there aren't a lot of serious programmers here at nairaland. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. LOL
Re: Why Does Anyone Never Talk About Front End Web Dev Or UX/UI Design Here by Knownpal(m): 8:23am On Nov 13, 2014
Well OP, I believe there are developers who do if not all but 90 percent of what you are thinking of. I read an article which said only 6percent of developers are in Nigeria, South Africa having 33 percent, according to github africa, africa developers don't just have internet pressence, that's why it is quite difficult to know who and who is using a framework or UI or UX, and to this fact its only CodeHouse I do see his works here on nairaland which truly motivates me and some other mates one problem with nigeria developers is stinginess and I don't wanna help attidtude (may be busy schedule) that makes it not knowing to them hide themself and work, I aint ecouraging bragging about our works buh with the aim of encouraging others and thereby increasing in number of programmers, was not happy when all the listed people by somene above me which are UI/UX designers were all yankies no nigeria and to nairaland issue, I don't want to get banned biko.

(1) (Reply)

Oya Programmers In Nairaland Showcase Your Finest Project With Success Stories / How Can I Download From Pirate Bay? / I Study Computer Sciences In A Finnish University. Ask Me Anything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.