Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) (4061 Views)

Combating Halitosis / Mouth Odour Awareness And Prevention / Six Common Causes Of Dark Circle Around The Eyes And Remedies For Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 5:39pm On Nov 09, 2014
Have you ever talked to someone that has just woken up from sleep? What was the smell like? Foul I guess, that’s exactly what I mean when I say bad breath. Bad breath also known as halitosis is the foul smell you perceive when someone is talking to you or when you’re talking to someone.

Bad breath has a negative effect on one’s social life as no one likes to talk to a guy or girl who has mouth odour. It affects one’s self esteem and reduce one’s efficiency in their place of work or performance at school, it can even ruin your relationship. In general it’s hard to socialize when you’ve got mouth odour.

Causes

A lot of factors which include food, oral hygiene, lifestyle as well as medical conditions can cause mouth odour, some of these causes include;

v When we eat food general, the body digest this food and its then taken up by the blood for distribution, the lungs gets its share of the blood and if the food had strong odour like onions or garlic then the smell will come out with the air when you breathe of talk. Brushing or flossing will only cover up the odour temporary, the odour will surface sooner or later until the whole food in the system Is exhausted

v Particles of food eaten are usually get stuck in the gums between the teeth, bacteria act on the food particles giving off the odour.

v Dry mouth also known as xerostomia reduces the cleansing effects of the saliva and hence a bacterium which causes bad breath grows around the teeth, gums and tongue.

v Poor oral hygiene like not brushing of mouth and tongue promotes growth of bacteria around the teeth, gums and tongue and cause bad breath.

v Smoking or chewing of tobacco-based products.

v Hunger/fasting.

v Sleeping with the mouth open causes dry mouth which increases bad breath when you wake up.

v Eating of low carbohydrate diet.

Remedies

v Avoid eating food with strong odour like onions and garlic.

v Brush your teeth and tongue at least twice a day with toothpaste.

v Use fluoride based toothpaste.

v Change your tooth brush after every 2 to 3 months.

v Stop smoking/chewing tobacco based products.

v Eat low fat diet rich in vegetables and fruits.

v Keep the mouth moist by drinking water and/or chewing on sugarless gums.

v See a doctor if the odour persists.

for more info visit:http://www.joeterryscorner.com/2014/11/causes-and-remedies-for-mouth-odour.html#more

Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Skillfullulu(m): 6:11pm On Nov 09, 2014
No remedy, na wa o. How those affected wan heal themselves?
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 09, 2014
Ok I'm going to give some tips I discovered for a cleaner brush which hopefully would aid in eliminating halitosis.

1. Brush for at least 10 minutes, nothing shorter but longer is also good.
2. Brush in a side to side pattern, up to down pattern and in circular motions (like when cleaning a glass table). Mix all three motions for higher dirt removal chances.
3. Brush deep into your mouth, taking extra attention to detail at wisdom teeth, bottom row of teeth and top-row of teeth.
4. Scrub your tongue; pay extra attention here and ensure you scrub it also from the sides as food particles normally accumulate there.
5. After brushing completely, apply a pea sized dab of toothpaste on your brush and start over. I call this "insurance".
6. I learned this from a friend of mine: When done completely rinse mouth and with your clean toothbrush do a final scrub-over of everything. Research says saliva is good for breaking down plaque and using this method I've become a believer.

[EDIT]

During your day to day activities chew dental-themed gums like Orbit and Wrigleys. They are good for saliva production, fresh breath, digestion and facilitate appetite.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 6:48pm On Nov 09, 2014
Skillfullulu:
No remedy, na wa o. How those affected wan heal themselves?

them go follow the link
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Networkingprof: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2014
I believe there are probiotic oligosaccarides that will do just fine to balance the anaerobic activities of bacteria in the gastro-intenstinal track. Using Fohow spearmint+garnodarma with rose Olgosaccaride is a good way to start at eliminating bad breath. Change of lifestyle is good. www.fohowproducts..com
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Skillfullulu(m): 7:21pm On Nov 09, 2014
joeterri:

them go follow the link
. Don't referr them, even at that u gotta drop some hint. @ least
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 7:37pm On Nov 09, 2014
Skillfullulu:
. Don't referr them, even at that u gotta drop some hint. @ least
hint dropped
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Skillfullulu(m): 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2014
joeterri:

hint dropped
wa gbayi.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2014
Skillfullulu:
wa gbayi.

ortamen kanyi I Lu zaiyol wou grin
Skillfullulu:
wa gbayi.

ortamen kanyi I Lu zaiyol wou
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Networkingprof: 8:56pm On Nov 09, 2014
joeterri:

Wa gbayi means you will be famous or receive honor. wetin yor own min?
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 9:03pm On Nov 09, 2014
Networkingprof:
Wa gbayi means you will be famous or receive honor. wetin yor own min?
means "oga wetin b that" it's Tiv language
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Skillfullulu(m): 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2014
joeterri:

english pls
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Networkingprof: 9:16pm On Nov 09, 2014
joeterri:

means "oga wetin b that" it's Tiv language
Oh I see. One luv 9ja.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2014
Networkingprof:
Oh I see. One luv 9ja.
yes o

1 Like

Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by Skillfullulu(m): 12:04am On Nov 10, 2014
charix:
Ok I'm going to give some tips I discovered for a cleaner brush which hopefully would aid in eliminating halitosis.

1. Brush for at least 10 minutes, nothing shorter but longer is also good.
2. Brush in a side to side pattern, up to down pattern and in circular motions (like when cleaning a glass table). Mix all three motions for higher dirt removal chances.
3. Brush deep into your mouth, taking extra attention to detail at wisdom teeth, bottom row of teeth and top-row of teeth.
4. Scrub your tongue; pay extra attention here and ensure you scrub it also from the sides as food particles normally accumulate there.
5. After brushing completely, apply a pea sized dab of toothpaste on your brush and start over. I call this "insurance".
6. I learned this from a friend of mine: When done completely rinse mouth and with your clean toothbrush do a final scrub-over of everything. Research says saliva is good for breaking down plaque and using this method I've become a believer.

[EDIT]

During your day to day activities chew dental-themed gums like Orbit and Wrigleys. They are good for saliva production, fresh breath, digestion and facilitate appetite.
let people feel u directly. U shouldn't forget to wash benethe ur tounge.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 3:17am On Nov 10, 2014
Skillfullulu:
let people feel u directly. U shouldn't forget to wash benethe ur tounge.
good point
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by emygreat747(m): 8:45am On Nov 10, 2014
my fresh breath has got my babe hanging onto me,lolz!!!!!
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by dennykel60: 10:44am On Nov 10, 2014
Tea tree and Echinecea are powerful herbs that helps to treat mouth ordor...for more info, whatsapp or call 08136478517

Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 11:56am On Nov 10, 2014
emygreat747:
my fresh breath has got my babe hanging onto me,lolz!!!!!

good for you
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 11:57am On Nov 10, 2014
dennykel60:
Echinecea is a powerful herb that helps to treat mouth ordor...for more info, whatsapp or call 08136478517
what is the mechanism of action of the drug
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by dennykel60: 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2014
joeterri:

Call or whatsapp to get more info.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 2:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
dennykel60:
Call or whatsapp to get more info.
you can as well put it here for the benefit of everybody, guess that's what this section is about... you may as well boost your market
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by dennykel60: 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
joeterri:

tea tree oil is made from tea tree, it helps to slow down the build up of plaque in the mouth. Echinecea is a herb that fight infections in the body. When taken by mouth, it goes into the gums to fight germs and bacterias tht cause mouth ordour, mouth ulcer and sores. After brushing, rinse the mouth with one cup full of undiluted mouth wash spit it out. Tea tree mouth wash is very effective for bad breath and its An excellent breath freshener. It contains tea tree oil and echinecea.
Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by lillyjane(f): 7:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
These few tips will help you cure bad breath

1. Cleansing Water
You will be needing 1-2 Oranges, 1 lemon, 2-3 Strawberries and water.

Cut the fruits in sizes to fit into your container or storage jar, fill it up with water and put in the refrigerator to sit overnight, allowing all the vitamins to seep into the liquid. Drink in the morning along with breakfast, and whenever you feel the need throughout the day. This will keep up to a week in the refrigerator.

This water will help kill the bacteria causing bad breath while keeping your mouth moist most importantly. Because oranges, strawberries, and lemon are incredibly high in vitamin C, and vitamin C will create an acidic environment hard for bacteria to thrive in. Vitamin C is water-soluble, so you can indeed get its goodness by infusing the water with the fruit.

Check up the rest here http://www..com/natural-ways-to-fight-bad-breath-halitosis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by LizNaira: 10:27pm On Nov 10, 2014
Mouth wash is great but too much mouth wash kills the health bacteria in your mouth which can lead to a worse smell but eating pineapple is great in killing unhealthy bacteria and removing odor. You still have to brush your teeth though!

2 Likes

Re: Causes And Remedies For Mouth Odour (halitosis) by joeterri(m): 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
LizNaira:
Mouth wash is great but too much mouth wash kills the health bacteria in your mouth which can lead to a worse smell but eating pineapple is great in killing unhealthy bacteria and removing odor. You still have to brush your teeth though!

nice contribution

(1) (Reply)

Eye Test: How Many Faces Do You See / Pls I Need A Drug Dat Would Help Me Sleep Well / Need Dentists' Help;cost Of Having A Crown On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.