Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,807 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44542 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 17, 2008
@fayahsoul

I like the thread you have just created, you can as well pull off your clothes, walk into the bush, fetch leaves to cover dong and live the way you are supposed to live (use leave cover yansh way of living)

With that ur trouser wey no touch ground.

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Oats: 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2008
i think the point of this thread was totally missed

white women dont chemically alter there hair to have it match weave. it just does

he wouldnt have ANYTHING to say if your hair was in its natural state with a KINKY weave

and thread starter can i just say : MOST of us have has our hair relaexd from a young age (i was FIVE) WE KNOW NO BETTER
and its hard to transition back to natural, especially if you know nothing about it. You also lose your hair length
get stares from other BLACK people and if your afro hair is short in the begining its not versitalie

i dont mess with skin bleach, i cant even be bothered to cream my body self grin
i do use wigs as i just shaved off all my hair to go natural- my wigs are striaght and as long as hell 23"

and for some people wigs and weaves are used for a change like - long hair down to your bum for 4 weeks, short rhianna style for another 4 weeks
it does add verity to some of our lives

SOME OF US DO THE RELAXER THING SUBCONSIOUSLY

AND i dont frequent those asian shops, if someone is going to get rich off of me, trust me that person will be black, & black women dont be fooled just becuase they have a black girl working for them, or behind the counter that the shop is owneed by blacks! its not and asians hate you

now men if you do see a woman with her natural hair, tell her out looks nice, the bravery, strength and courage it takes to wear it out, not putting a weave or wig ober it, you would not believe
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by carmelily: 2:21pm On Dec 18, 2008
Oats:

white women don't chemically alter there hair to have it match weave.

So totally not true.

he wouldnt have ANYTHING to say if your hair was in its natural state with a KINKY weave

He said NO WEAVE, ok?

and its hard to transition back to natural, especially if you know nothing about it. You also lose your hair length
get stares from other BLACK people and if your afro hair is short in the begining its not versitalie
Easier than you think. I did it.

SOME OF US DO THE RELAXER THING SUBCONSIOUSLY
huh?

AND i don't frequent those asian shops, if someone is going to get rich off of me, trust me that person will be black, & black women don't be fooled just becuase they have a black girl working for them, or behind the counter that the shop is owneed by blacks! its not and asians hate you

It's still Asian hair you're buying!! cheesy

now men if you do see a woman with her natural hair, tell her out looks nice, the bravery, strength and courage it takes to wear it out, not putting a weave or wig ober it, you would not believe

you're right about the complimenting part. But going natural is not as hard as you say at all!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Oats: 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2008
carmelily:

So totally not true.

to have it match weave? they but chemicals init, i think not.
chemically alter it to make it CURLY yes
carmelily:

He said NO WEAVE, ok?
OKAY, !

carmelily:

Easier than you think. I did it.
my hair is natural too, and in my experience it hasnt been easy at all

carmelily:
huh?
subconsciously poor spelling smiley my bad, we relax out hair without thinking twice, or even questioning why we do it

carmelily:
It's still Asian hair you're buying!! cheesy
its manufactured in korea cheesy, most of the hair in the UK is european.

carmelily:
you're right about the complimenting part. But going natural is not as hard as you say at all!
individual  diffrences, to ME hair is psychological and my mother and friends think its discusting and if you have all these negative things around you talking about the natural you, it is as difficult as i stated  wink
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by carmelily: 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2008
Oats:

to have it match weave? they but chemicals init, i think not.
chemically alter it to make it CURLY yes

is hair dye a chemical (s) or not? If a blonde White woman wants red hair to match her red weave, what does she use? water? There are MANY hair-altering chemicals for ALL races!

my hair is natural too, and in my experience it hasnt been easy at all

eyah! cheesy not so hard though. Takes patience, yes

subconsciously poor spelling smiley my bad, we relax out hair without thinking twice, or even questioning why we do it

i always questioned why i did it till i stopped. was never subconscious for me. My problem wasn't with your spelling, honey

its manufactured in korea cheesy

Is Korea in Asia or not? European hair manufactured in Korea = money for Koreans! simple arithmetic grin cheesy grin

my mother and friends think its discusting and if you have all these negative things around you talking about the natural you, it is as difficult as i stated wink

This last comment of yours kind of shocked me and is the first proof i've seen on this thread to support fayahsoul's argument!
Is your family black? and they think Black hair is "disgusting"?!

Funny, but i get a lot of admiration for my natural hair EVERYWHERE i go! Never heard a negative comment about my natural hair. Your family needs to meet with fayahsoul asap.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 7:06pm On Dec 19, 2008
i-biz

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate
« #526 on: December 12, 2008, 02:37 PM »

considering the nature of our hair as[b] Africans its difficult 4 us 2 just go on our natural hair witout applying relaxers or fixing weaves,[/b]as for d health risk stuff,almost every thing has its own health risk e.g your cellphone,perfumes,deodorant etc but that has not stopped people from using them.so i wonder why u are so particular about perms.

I was having this discussion with people and they used this excuse. This is completely an untrue. As difficult and shameful as it is to admit it the standard of beauty is straight- Caucasian looking hair. If perms, weaves, hot combs and such implements and practices developed back in the day to help slaves look appreciable to their masters then natural hair would not be difficult.
There is really nothing difficult about natural hair, its stronger than relaxed hair, healthier than hair tortured with weaves and better looking than those nasty mats-on-head people call wigs. The truth off the matter is too many people are afraid of being ostracized or criticized for having natural hair "Nappy" hair so they make all the excuse in the world to fit in to the white standard. The supposed black women's hero Madam CJ Walker succeeded in making her hair white enough to fit in and she marketed her goods. So sad.

1 Like

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by carmelily: 2:00pm On Dec 22, 2008
@savanaha

I asked you for styling tips/pics and u never replied cry cry
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 7:09pm On Dec 25, 2008
carmelily:

@savanaha

I asked you for styling tips/pics and u never replied cry cry

Am sorry I had finals. The problem with pictures is that I don't like putting my picture on the internet that's why I don't have facebook, myspace or none of those things.

I try to change my hair style up with cornrows, rope twists etc. I don't know if that helped. The rope twists are my favorite because its easy and I can make it really thin or thick for different styles. With the cornrows I make up my own styles or find styles I like over the internet. Also I wash my hair with the rope twists and I wet it daily and when I unwind the rope twists I wear it curly like that for some time and it looks pretty good. I'll find the style and put a picture up.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by igbogyel(f): 6:49am On May 28, 2009
uu know this whole thing about blacks trying to be more acceptable by imitating whites makes no sense . white people don't have naturally straight hair . the ones that do get the japanese perms or whatever uu call it . one of my white friends has it . it makes ur hair bone straight . the only race that has baturally straight hair is asians .

permed hair is easier to maintain and uu can do a lot of different things w. it . whereas natural hair can only be braided , twisted , && things of that sort . I'd say it can be pressed buh thats also altering the hair's natural state as was said -_- .

ii* have naturally thick nappy woolly hair . perming it makes it easier for me to maintain . when ii was little before ii got perms , hairdressers would do my braids once and refuse the next time becus my hair was so thick and they'd break several combs trying to do my hair ; or I'd be crying the entiring time they were tugging at my scalp . ii* find perming easier . no combs break and no hairdressers turn me away lol .
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by girl22(f): 11:59pm On Jul 08, 2009
@stillwater

black people did not wear their hair natural and scream "black power because they were insecure to build power.

they started to wear their hair natural because the perm was invented to make their hair look like white people.

im not saying that people that wear their hair permed is because they are trying to look white. but that is the reason it was invented.

blacks in america were, raped, beaten told they were ugly, told their hair was ugly, uninelligent, were told their skin and nose were ugly. they were made fun daily by whotes. so they began to tell themselves they were beutiful and that their hair was beautiful.

please do not talk on things you know nothing or can even grasp the understanding of. you did not suffer the same things blacks in america/carribean suffered so you cannot identify with why they did/do certain things.

we did not undergo what you went through under colonialism so we do understand or grasp fully why do/did the things you do.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by dfdeei: 10:03am On Jul 10, 2009
AMERICAN VENDORS

www.californialacewig.com

www.thehairnetwork.com

CHINESE VENDORS

RemyHair Manufacturer: http://www.visionremyhair.com

Email: visionhaircn@gmail.com

Good Luck
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by hmmph: 6:54am On Apr 04, 2016
jgirl3:
I love my wigs. . . hardly use them
I love my perms . . . get them all the time
I love my weaves. . . have one on right now.

Health issue - No one has died from excess use of moisturizer on either skin or scalp.

Financial issue - Technically, Asians make cars too. . . should we stop buying cars then? Nigeria should make their own hair products if it makes them feel so good.

Sacrilegious - not all of us are christians and for those of us that are, it talks about not putting tattoos or permanent marks on our bodies as desecrating God's temple. Premarital sex does that too . . . why not preach that first?

Psychological - It increases one's self esteem and improves one's body image.

Any questions?
The fact that it gives you a self esteem you never had shows how self hating you are. Do you see white people wearing afros and saying that that gives them self esteem?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by hmmph: 7:00am On Apr 04, 2016
sexyLeamon:
Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate

no i do not think it's self hatred.if you want to perm your hair, then that's you.
i don't think afros are ugly, i just can't pull off the look and i would rather have something more manageable perming my hair gives me the ability to put my hair in many different styles. Do you also think, its self hatred that a lot of white women dye their hair, wear weaves, and get botox and tan? Instead of fizzy brown or black hair and pale skin?

Why compare the two, white and black I mean? They have their reasons for doing those and it is not the same for black women. Why do y'all have to copy white people? Only inferior complexity would make one copy another race of peopke
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by foxxymobile(m): 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2021
[Enugu Enugu Foxxymobile Wig Wigs Hair Online Stores in Enugu Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Makeup Transforms A Masculine-Looking Lady To Feminine-Looking / Photos: Am The Most Handsome And Decent Nairalander, Your Take / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.