Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay (5401 Views)

Wike Climbed Into The Governorship Seat Over Dead Bodies - Prof Itse Sagay / For Peace To Reign In NASS, Tambuwal Should Resign - SAN / Tambuwal Should Go - Agbakoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Eboski(m): 12:57pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:

You are the liar and hypocrite here. I never said anything contrary to my post that you quoted. Those that d
ecamped have the right to decamp and i have nothing against their decisions. However, Saraki should resign as the senate president simply because APC as the party in majority owns the senate presidency seat. A member of the minority party cannot preside over the majority, it is a basic tenet in democracy all over the world.
Zombie this is what your Prof said 2014
I am strongly of the view that he is entitled to resign from the Peoples Democratic Party and join any party of his wish, in accordance with his constitutional rights; particularly since the provision for election of speaker does not have any party label. It does not say ‘Somebody belonging to the majority party, or somebody who was elected on a particular platform.’ It doesn’t say so. It is a free provision, which allows anybody in the House to be elected, provided he has the simple majority.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Eboski(m): 1:00pm On Aug 02, 2018
buhariguy:
are you blind?
Read the red paragraph.
Read the quote from Prof then, I am strongly of the view that he is entitled to resign from the Peoples Democratic Party and join any party of his wish, in accordance with his constitutional rights; particularly since the provision for election of speaker does not have any party label. It does not say ‘Somebody belonging to the majority party, or somebody who was elected on a particular platform.’ It doesn’t say so. It is a free provision, which allows anybody in the House to be elected, provided he has the simple majority.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Eboski(m): 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2018
Does the Senate President election has any label in 2015? did Saraki used a party label then to stand the election, that was what Prof Sagay his saying to PDP then 2015, APC has no moral ground for Saraki to resign as Senate President.

I am strongly of the view that he is entitled to resign from the Peoples Democratic Party and join any party of his wish, in accordance with his constitutional rights; particularly since the provision for election of speaker does not have any party label. It does not say ‘Somebody belonging to the majority party, or somebody who was elected on a particular platform.’ It doesn’t say so. It is a free provision, which allows anybody in the House to be elected, provided he has the simple majority.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by deltaisgreat: 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:

You are the liar and hypocrite here. I never said anything contrary to my post that you quoted. Those that decamped have the right to decamp and i have nothing against their decisions. However, Saraki should resign as the senate president simply because APC as the party in majority owns the senate presidency seat. A member of the minority party cannot preside over the majority, it is a basic tenet in democracy all over the world.
did you insist this way in 2014 that tambuwa should vacate his office as the speaker then when he defected to APC from PDP. What goes around comes around okay?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by FarahAideed: 1:11pm On Aug 02, 2018
Ndonu101:

Ngenekwenu can you please move this page to front page for fairness? grin

Karma is truly a bitch grin cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by buhariguy(m): 1:12pm On Aug 02, 2018
Eboski:
Read the quote from Prof then, I am strongly of the view that he is entitled to resign from the Peoples Democratic Party and join any party of his wish, in accordance with his constitutional rights; particularly since the provision for election of speaker does not have any party label. It does not say ‘Somebody belonging to the majority party, or somebody who was elected on a particular platform.’ It doesn’t say so. It is a free provision, which allows anybody in the House to be elected, provided he has the simple majority.
provided he has the simple majority.
That is the point I have be explain to the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra terrorist .
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:13pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:
Brilliant analysis from prof. Itse Sagay. A division occurs in a party once there is a parallel faction irrespective of whether inec recognises the faction or not. And I also support the idea of allowing political office holders to join whatever party that appeals to them. Their should be no legal restriction for an elected or unelected politician to move from one party to another. The people should be allowed to decide their case during election.
the internet never forgets grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:15pm On Aug 02, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:

Leaving would have been ideal in a saner climate but not this PDP-Rapped-Country, where the winner always takes all!

If he attempts to resign today! PDP would bar him from entering the house citing one yeye section of the constitution!

This is a pure constitutional matter. It would do the parties well if the court is allowed to settle this once and for all!

grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Ojiofor: 1:16pm On Aug 02, 2018
Karma don fück up zömbies real good.
What goes around comes around.
Ngeneükwüenü grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by deltaisgreat: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:

He should resign as the senate president since his party is not in majority. That is the honorable, moral and democratic decision that we should all urge him to take.
did you ask tambuwa to resign as speaker in 2014 when he defected to the APC from PDP even though PDP was the majority party in the house then. You are as unstable as the wind this shameless hypocrite. Go hide your face in shame. Saraki will remain the senate president and there is nothing you nor oshi-omo-ole can do about it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by surgical: 2:24pm On Aug 02, 2018
buhariguy:
That is the point I have be explain to the jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra terrorist .
That is before election after election it is 2/3 majority which APC can not muster now, they should just leave things the way they are.
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by buhariguy(m): 4:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
surgical:
That is before election after election it is 2/3 majority which APC can not muster now, they should just leave things the way they are.
you are trying to change the narrative.
sagay was telling thief tambuwal to still remain in the seat as he defect to APC because APC was the majority in the house but in the Senate PDP was the majority
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by buhariguy(m): 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2018
deltaisgreat:
did you ask tambuwa to resign as speaker in 2014 when he defected to the APC from PDP even though PDP was the majority party in the house then. You are as unstable as the wind this shameless hypocrite. Go hide your face in shame. Saraki will remain the senate president and there is nothing you nor oshi-omo-ole can do about it.
buhariguy:
you are trying to change the narrative.
sagay was telling thief tambuwal to still remain in the seat as he defect to APC because APC was the majority in the house but in the Senate PDP was the majority
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by DogmaNation: 4:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
buhariguy:
grin grin grin Kai life has really been unfair to u,is that what u are saying? Idiotic pig of Buhari!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by IsaAbubakar: 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
An expert in constitutional law, Prof. Itse Sagay, SAN, speaks on the contentious issue of whether the House of Representatives Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal, should resign following his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress, in this interview with TOBI AWORINDE

There has been some disagreement on whether or not the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, should resign his position, given his recent defection to the All Progressives Congress. What is your view on this?

In March, a court dismissed a suit filed by some lawmakers who defected to the APC in defence of their action. Is this ruling applicable to him?

In my view, it doesn’t (apply to him) because the constitutional provision says that if there is a division within a particular party, any legislator in that party can resign and join another party. In my view, there was a major division within the PDP, which has not been resolved. Therefore, I think there is a constitutional basis for him to leave the PDP and join another party. In fact, I don’t agree with the judgment of the Federal High Court, although the judgment is valid until overruled. But that judgment does not apply to him because he wasn’t a party to the case, and I hope the matter might go to the Court of Appeal for a resolution because that judgment, in my view, was wrong by not recognising the separate declaration by a group of PDP people that they are the proper executives and officers of the PDP, as against the orthodox group. Not recognising that as a division within the party shows that that court did not quite understand the language of the constitution.

How does this piece of legislation compare with those of other countries?

I think, in that regard, we are probably very unique. In most other countries, particularly in the developed Western democratic world—this I can say confidently—anyone can change from one party to another without any problem. The famous Winston Churchill used to be a Liberal, before he became a Conservative. Later, he became a prime minister under the Conservatives. They don’t have this restriction that we have here. And frankly, I think the restriction is illegitimate, because it restricts a person’s right of association.

The argument has also been raised that elected officials represent their parties at the point of election and that it is, therefore, illegal for them to defect to other parties. Do you agree with this notion?

The party merely provides a platform for electoral contest, so we cannot say it was a party that was elected. It was the person who was elected on that party’s platform. I think it is the case against (Rivers State Governor, Rotimi) Amaechi that is being used. But even that is an incorrect application of the case, because what that case said was that the original person nominated by the party continues to be the valid nominee, regardless of who actually contested an election. So, we must not mix up things. A party is not elected; it is a person who is elected on a party platform, and that person has a right to change his mind. The only penalty he can suffer is for the original party, under which he was elected, to use it to campaign against him in the next election, to ensure that he is not re-elected. That is all.

But the Independent National Electoral Commission says they recognise only parties, rather than individuals. Does this position not further justify such a debate?

I am not sure in what context INEC says it recognises only parties. It recognises only parties for the purpose of contesting elections. In other words, if you want to contest elections, you must be a party member. You must belong to a party—that is the present law. Beyond that, when the person has been sponsored by the party, and the election has taken place, the party still has a moral hold over him, but certainly not a legal hold.

Will you then say the constitution is flawed, because, as you have noted, it doesn’t unequivocally assure everyone of their right to freedom of association?

In my view, the constitution should not have any restriction on the right of a person to cross from one party to the other. It is not a good thing, because it shows a lack of integrity; it shows opportunism and lack of principles. What happens in all other communities and political cultures in the world is that the act itself condemns the person and he becomes unacceptable in future. That is the punishment; you don’t need a law for that. You need political culture for that. In essence, we should jettison that law and expect our political culture and maturity to develop and it will take care of that problem.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/interview/tambuwal-has-right-to-defect-sagay/
grin

ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu ngeneukwenu

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Ziggylady(f): 5:11pm On Aug 02, 2018
I love the internet cheesy

Ngene ukwu ewu and seunmsg were just talking rubbish forgeting that no condition is permanent..the only thing permanent is change

Now the chicken has come home to roost.

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Ziggylady(f): 5:16pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:

You are the liar and hypocrite here. I never said anything contrary to my post that you quoted. Those that decamped have the right to decamp and i have nothing against their decisions. However, Saraki should resign as the senate president simply because APC as the party in majority owns the senate presidency seat. A member of the minority party cannot preside over the majority, it is a basic tenet in democracy all over the world.

Guy hide your head in shame...was APC the majority then when you were supporting nonsense?...only to cry foul now....Saraki will not resign.

You guys aint seen nothing yet

5 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by TimFisher2: 5:17pm On Aug 02, 2018
grin
This is worthy of Front page!
what goes around comes around
cc:Lalasticlala
cc:Seun
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Jokerman(m): 5:41pm On Aug 02, 2018
LMAO.... the internet never forgets.....

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by newsnjobs(m): 5:50pm On Aug 02, 2018
Karma lives behind APC. Infact Karma house dey in front of APC backyard. Now tell me how they will not meet it.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by CanineOfJackal: 6:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:
Brilliant analysis from prof. Itse Sagay. A division occurs in a party once there is a parallel faction irrespective of whether inec recognises the faction or not. And I also support the idea of allowing political office holders to join whatever party that appeals to them. Their should be no legal restriction for an elected or unelected politician to move from one party to another. The people should be allowed to decide their case during election.
You have been bursted here. shame on your generation

3 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by ThatIgboBoy: 6:48pm On Aug 02, 2018
what goes around comes around. APC should feel what it means to be betrayed by your person

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by duality(m): 8:29pm On Aug 02, 2018
This is interesting.

It even came from ngeneukwuenu.

Alright...

3 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by BrokenTV: 8:40pm On Aug 02, 2018
buhariguy:
are you blind?
Read the red paragraph.
Are you trying to say there is no division in APC, how did R-APC, game into existence because that is the only thing I can deduce from your analogue, kindly do us a favour by stating the obvious.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by FarahAideed: 8:43pm On Aug 02, 2018
duality:
This is interesting.

It even came from ngeneukwuenu.

Alright...

Yes
Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by jamace(m): 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2018
FarahAideed:

Karma is truly a bitch grin cheesy
Gbam!

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Racoon(m): 10:36pm On Aug 02, 2018
FarahAideed:

But today you are saying otherwise grin grin what a hypocrite
You mind the hypocrites angry

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Malawian(m): 7:35am On Aug 03, 2018
Just Negodu

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by Feraz(m): 8:08pm On Aug 03, 2018
I was wondering why Sagay saw nothing wrong with Saraki's defection and his insistence on remaining senate president till I saw his views here.

seunmsg:
I saw you foaming in the mouth the other time on why Saraki must resign as senate president and how forceful and illegal eviction should be encouraged but here you are, four years earlier, implicitly supporting Sagay on his views and you have the temerity to spew the drivel below:
seunmsg:

Was APC the majority party then? People have asked you that and like the proverbial ostrich, you hide your head in the sand.

Talk about being a first class hypocrite just like PMB who after hailing Tambuwal, is looking for every means via proxies to oust Saraki (who BTW, I could care less about). I recall the numerous warnings from neutral Nigerians especially people like Reference here on NL this precedence was about to set but APC stalwarts like you encouraged this impunity and here we are years later, changing our views. Shey, you all encouraged Buhari's flagrant abuse of court orders. I hope whichever government that comes in after his tenure does worse than what he did. I'd love to see your opinions and the reaction on your face by then.

Beremx, I can see your comments there also. I wonder what's going through your mind right now.

CC: Platteon, Reference, LordAdam16 and his alias grin, doctokwus, johnydon22

I wonder where the usernames she tagged then are right now not forgetting people like sweetlemon.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, we should oblige Ngeneukwenu's request by pushing this to the front page. I think. . .nah. . .in fact, it's worth front page.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Should Not Vacate His Seat: He Has The Right To Defect-Prof Itse Sagay by dlondonbadboy: 8:12pm On Aug 03, 2018
Ngeneukwenu has gone into hiding...LMAO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Barcanista Is The Nairaland Politics Section Person Of 2014 / CORRUPTION, RIGGING: Letter From Military Indicts Chief Minimah, Others / Ojukwu Is A Blood Sucker While The Igbos Are Slaves In Nigeria-EDWIN CLARKE 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.