Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx (15873 Views)

Changing My Torn Car Leather Seat / Torn Between A 2004/05 Toyota Sienna And Honda Odyssey-advice Pls / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by SailorXY: 8:53am On Nov 17, 2014
FlyboyZee:

I drove my elder brothers 05/06 4Runner and admired it for its solid performance. Hitherto to that day, I hated the SUV so much because of its blandness, especially the interior and the cramped-up-like interior space.

I never noticed the Honda Pilot even though my friend's mum owned one which my friend now uses until I bought one recently and noticed that it is as solid as any SUV can be. If you do a head count on Nigerian roads, you would realize that the Pilot is as plenty as the 4Runner or Highlander. This shows you that it is very reliable and has little or no maintenance issues contrary to what those 'stay off Honda' misfits are saying.

I used to own an Acura TL until recently. It is the most solid ride I have ever driven in my entire motoring life. My elder brother's wife own an 03/04 Acura MDX which she has misused and abused, yet the SUV refused to give up on her. That's how good the car is.

My opinion:
I am not a Toyota freak, no matter what Nigerians say or make the Toyota look like. The Acura is an SUV you would drive in style and comfort for long journies. It is so comfortable that by the time you arrive Sokoto from Lagos, it would look as if you are just waking up. It is the best for long distance journies. And lest I forget do you know that, that Acura MDX can move? Lol...

My Verdict:
Go with the Acura MDX and you won't regret it.
bros... that part no be true tongue
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by chucky234(m): 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
FlyboyZee:

I drove my elder brothers 05/06 4Runner and admired it for its solid performance. Hitherto to that day, I hated the SUV so much because of its blandness, especially the interior and the cramped-up-like interior space.

I never noticed the Honda Pilot even though my friend's mum owned one which my friend now uses until I bought one recently and noticed that it is as solid as any SUV can be. If you do a head count on Nigerian roads, you would realize that the Pilot is as plenty as the 4Runner or Highlander. This shows you that it is very reliable and has little or no maintenance issues contrary to what those 'stay off Honda' misfits are saying.

I used to own an Acura TL until recently. It is the most solid ride I have ever driven in my entire motoring life. My elder brother's wife own an 03/04 Acura MDX which she has misused and abused, yet the SUV refused to give up on her. That's how good the car is.

My opinion:
I am not a Toyota freak, no matter what Nigerians say or make the Toyota look like. The Acura is an SUV you would drive in style and comfort for long journies. It is so comfortable that by the time you arrive Sokoto from Lagos, it would look as if you are just waking up. It is the best for long distance journies. And lest I forget do you know that, that Acura MDX can move? Lol...

My Verdict:
Finally someone with first-hand motoring experience, no Toyota compares to the MDX.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by chucky234(m): 12:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
SailorXY:

Drive a second generation Pilot then you'll surely understand why the bland 4runner cannot be compared to the Pilot's elder brother, Acura MDX.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by SailorXY: 1:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
chucky234:
Drive a second generation Pilot then you'll surely understand why the bland 4runner cannot be compared to the Pilot's elder brother, Acura MDX.
again you are trying too hard, there's no need for all this. the OP is looking @ the 2004 range of SUVs, besides both vehicles were not really designed for same target customers. so give it a rest, sir.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by chucky234(m): 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2014
SailorXY:

again you are trying too hard, there's no need for all this. the OP is looking @ the 2004 range of SUVs, besides both vehicles were not really designed for same target customers. so give it a rest, sir.
He listed both cars bro, I think he will do better with the amazing MDX which offers everything you need in SUV, from reliability, smooth driving, fuel economy to luxury.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by SailorXY: 1:44pm On Nov 17, 2014
chucky234:
He listed both cars bro, I think he will do better with the amazing MDX which offers everything you need in SUV, from reliability, smooth driving, fuel economy to luxury.
I'm sure he's heard you
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by FlyboyZee: 2:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
fanex:
you clearly fan of compromised aesthetics over reliability.
What do you mean by compromised aesthetics over reliability. I have never found a Toyota reliable. I have seen Toyotas & Benzes do what you think happens to Hondas alone. This your Toyota craze is... Mschew!!!
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by FlyboyZee: 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
SailorXY:

What part is not true, please?
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by afope: 4:15pm On Nov 17, 2014
i have researched the cars I mentioned on carcomplaints.com and I found out that MDX and Pilot have transmission issues (that is the highest number of complaints about these cars). However, that is not to say all MDX and Pilot have transmission issues.

Yes I agree with flybozee though.. Acura has a lot of gadgets and is sooo fly.. especially the 2006 model upward. with luck I might get an Acura that will not give me transmission stress but do I want to take that risk??.

na wa oo
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by nurey(m): 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
afope:
i have researched the cars I mentioned on carcomplaints.com and I found out that MDX and Pilot have transmission issues (that is the highest number of complaints about these cars). However, that is not to say all MDX and Pilot have transmission issues.

Yes I agree with flybozee though.. Acura has a lot of gadgets and is sooo fly.. especially the 2006 model upward. with luck I might get an Acura that will not give me transmission stress but do I want to take that risk??.

na wa oo

My brother, if the MDX tickles your fancy please go for it if you get a solid well maintained car, then you are bound to enjoy it once you also maintain it and follow the manufacturers recommended operational use and timely maintenance.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by nurey(m): 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
afope:

na wa oo
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by SailorXY: 6:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
afope:

na wa oo
& what common complaints did you get from a 4Runner cheesy

if you dey find car with *better* gadgets, then look no further than the Audi, Benz & BMW tongue
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by afope: 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
SailorXY:

& what common complaints did you get from a 4Runner cheesy

if you dey find car with *better* gadgets, then look no further than the Audi, Benz & BMW tongue

Common problem with 4runner is cracked dashboard and brake problems
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Export1: 7:17pm On Nov 17, 2014
Going Head-to-Head

As expected, the base Pilot's $29,670 MSRP makes it drastically less expensive than the base MDX, which checks in at $42,290. With the MDX's higher price come features like leather seating, an eight-speaker sound system, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, paddle shifters, seat-position memory and 18-inch wheels, that are not part of the base Pilot.

Things get more competitive, however, when comparing the the top-of-the-line Pilot Touring to the Acura MDX. This Pilot comes with standard features that that the base MDX simply cannot match, including trailer wiring, front and rear parking assist, navigation and voice-activated controls, rear-seat audio controls, a roof rack, fog lights, and a 10-speaker sound system with Dolby Pro Logic II surround and 650 watts of power. All of these top-notch features pull the Pilot's price up to $39,820, which is still substantially cheaper than the base MDX.

Under the hood, the MDX does trump the Pilot with its 3.5-liter V6 that sends 290 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque through a six-speed automatic transmission. The range-topping Pilot's 3.5-liter V6 only cranks out 250 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque, and connects to a five-speed auto transmission.

The Pilot does defeat the MDX in interior room, as it has 152.7 cubic feet of passenger volume to the MDX's 132.3 cubic feet, seats up to eight people to the MDX's seven-seat configuration and carries up to 87 cubic feet of cargo to the MDX's 68.4 cubes of cargo space.

1 Like

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by afope: 9:28pm On Jun 05, 2015
I am so happy I settled for the 4runner. I got me a 2004 v8 silver color sport edition.it comes with 4 wheel drive and hill descent assist..

7 months on, and all I ever change is oil and absolutely nothing else. Still drive on the stock brake pad, tyres and battery.. I cant believe it.. Fuel consumption is not too bad. I use half tank per week and the full tank is 87litres. You can do the math...

Admittedly, the car does not have gadgets, no reverse cam, no dvd and no Bluetooth but men nobody will remember all those if the car is problematic.

Drivability is smooth, merging into traffic is awesome and acceleration is wow. Quiet ride and no road noise. The only issue is a small squeaking sound coming from the trunk area. I plan to investigate that when I have the time.

All in all, don't have any regrets at all and I will recommend this car to anyone anytime anyday... I now understand why we shout Toyota in this country.. Their reliability is unbeatable.

Thanks all

4 Likes

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 05, 2015
afope:
I am so happy I settled for the 4runner. I got me a 2004 v8 silver color sport edition.it comes with 4 wheel drive and hill descent assist..

7 months on, and all I ever change is oil and absolutely nothing else. Still drive on the stock brake pad, tyres and battery.. I cant believe it.. Fuel consumption is not too bad. I use half tank per week and the full tank is 87litres. You can do the math...

Admittedly, the car does not have gadgets, no reverse cam, no dvd and no Bluetooth but men nobody will remember all those if the car is problematic.

Drivability is smooth, merging into traffic is awesome and acceleration is wow. Quiet ride and no road noise. The only issue is a small squeaking sound coming from the trunk area. I plan to investigate that when I have the time.

All in all, don't have any regrets at all and I will recommend this car to anyone anytime anyday... I now understand why we shout Toyota in this country.. Their reliability is unbeatable.

Thanks all

I use a Highlander 2.4l AWD, its being touted as rubbish, bland, weak, but its still going strong and I'm always falling in love with it over and over, its decent in acceleration, it seats 5 comfortably, but 6 normal sized adults can fit it and be okay for a short trip. (Naija style) wink Need I say its gone on site work more than some 4x4. Interior is still very clean, exterior is still good, engine is silent and transmission is smooth, superb brake performance, silent cabin. I am thinking of going 3 more years with it before disposing it off.

My RX is another epic WoW factor.... No Acura MDX of same year model tht ive seen has defeated it in terms of reliability, comfort and build quality. Superb acceleration, brakes, silent cabin, silent engine, smooth gears.

Bro, Toyota's previous motto, "good thinking, good product" and their later motto, "take the lead" is real and can always be felt in their product.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by afope: 9:18am On Jun 06, 2015
lomomike:

I use a Highlander 2.4l AWD, its being touted as rubbish, bland, weak, but its still going strong and I'm always falling in love with it over and over, its decent in acceleration, it seats 5 comfortably, but 6 normal sized adults can fit it and be okay for a short trip. (Naija style) wink Need I say its gone on site work more than some 4x4. Interior is still very clean, exterior is still good, engine is silent and transmission is smooth, superb brake performance, silent cabin. I am thinking of going 3 more years with it before disposing it off.

My RX is another epic WoW factor.... No Acura MDX of same year model tht ive seen has defeated it in terms of reliability, comfort and build quality. Superb acceleration, brakes, silent cabin, silent engine, smooth gears.

Bro, Toyota's previous motto, "good thinking, good product" and their later motto, "take the lead" is real and can always be felt in their product.

You are right lomomike. In as much as I don't want to detract from other brands I think Toyota is still the best. This is my 4th ride and the closest car I can compare to the 4runner in terms of durability and stability on the road is my first car- Mercedes Benz v-boot. Now that is another crazily durable car.. I had to give it out after five years when it refuse to die after years of misuse..
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by nurey(m): 9:33am On Jun 06, 2015
afope:

You are right lomomike. In as much as I don't want to detract from other brands I think Toyota is still the best. This is my 4th ride and the closest car I can compare to the 4runner in terms of durability and stability on the road is my first car- Mercedes Benz v-boot. Now that is another crazily durable car.. I had to give it out after five years when it refuse to die after years of misuse..

Toyota durable and reliable of all vehicles, I laugh in spanish, the oldest car you will still see in naija on road is a VW beetle A.K.A IJAPA. And VW still build engines like before.

TEAM VOLKSWAGEN

2 Likes

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by peterjero(m): 10:18am On Jun 06, 2015
Whether people talk or them no talk, Toyota is the highest selling brand of car in the world, be it USA, Australia etc... Toyota went to USA and beat the likes of cadillac, ford, gmc, jeep/chrysler to their game. And we Nairalanders still think Toyota isn't reliable, the world is fully of average people and Toyota isn't the cheapest brand yet the biggest car brand. Does that not say they are good. By the way I drive a Camry and benz c200 2000 model. I must add this nothing beats my Camry, 3s fe that car has done 10 years still starts with one touch, AC works, the list is endless

1 Like

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 06, 2015
nurey:

Toyota durable and reliable of all vehicles, I laugh in spanish, the oldest car you will still see in naija on road is a VW beetle A.K.A IJAPA. And VW still build engines like before.

TEAM VOLKSWAGEN
Which motor you dey use? no lie..

1 Like

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by pacino26(m): 1:42pm On Jun 06, 2015
FlyboyZee:

My opinion:

My Verdict:

My brother you've said it all. People think the MDX is one sick puppy that cries out in bad road. Mehn the 2004 model has enough features to keep it moving even with a bad tyre got one for my dad and it still stands tall.

Op get a clean MDX and enjoy luxury and ruggedity.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by DGD1(m): 3:13pm On Jun 06, 2015
peterjero:
Whether people talk or them no talk, Toyota is the highest selling brand of car in the world, be it USA, Australia etc... Toyota went to USA and beat the likes of cadillac, ford, gmc, jeep/chrysler to their game. And we Nairalanders still think Toyota isn't reliable, the world is fully of average people and Toyota isn't the cheapest brand yet the biggest car brand. Does that not say they are good. By the way I drive a Camry and benz c200 2000 model. I must add this nothing beats my Camry, 3s fe that car has done 10 years still starts with one touch, AC works, the list is endless

I wonder what part of Nigeria most nairalanders stay, yabbing Toyota like its rubbish.
am a testifier to Toyota's slogan: "good thinking, good product"

bt I want to ask o,
of what use are all this gadgets in cars when you are not sure if the car won't fail you.
NOTE: if its Toyota's so called blandness that makes it very reliable and stand test of time, I pray they continue been bland. IMO

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 06, 2015
DGD1:

I wonder what part of Nigeria most nairalanders stay, yabbing Toyota like its rubbish.
am a testifier to Toyota's slogan: "good thinking, good product"

bt I want to ask o,
of what use are all this gadgets in cars when you are not sure if the car won't fail you.
NOTE: if its Toyota's so called blandness that makes it very reliable and stand test of time, I pray they continue been bland. IMO
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by nurey(m): 10:53pm On Jun 06, 2015
lomomike:

Which motor you dey use? no lie..

That's like a second term agenda.

You should see the miracle the sienna performed lately I took it where the hilux would thread softly and it performed.

But am still a VW fan, toyota is just my first real ride.

1 Like

Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by domack99(m): 6:24am On Jun 07, 2015
pacino26:

My brother you've said it all. People think the MDX is one sick puppy that cries out in bad road. Mehn the 2004 model has enough features to keep it moving even with a bad tyre got one for my dad and it still stands tall.

Op get a clean MDX and enjoy luxury and ruggedity.

Bros how far with your ride
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by bravolad(m): 7:52am On Jun 07, 2015
nurey:

That's like a second term agenda.

You should see the miracle the sienna performed lately I took it where the hilux would thread softly and it performed.

But am still a VW fan, toyota is just my first real ride.

Some arguments are unimaginable. You use the first generation of Toyota Sienna yet you condemn the product. Try what you do with your Sienna with a VW, come back and tell us your experience.

I think we need to be real and understand issues in perspective. Those Toyota models being discussed here may not be exquisite in design but are solidly rugged & reliable. There's also a difference between aesthetics & reliability. This discussion is about the later. Most dudes here show overt hatred for Toyota and offer advise based strictly on the personal preferences. Their yardstick for comparison is faulty. All over the world, it is not debatable that Toyota is a reliable brand. They may not necessarily present the best aesthetic designs but you can't beat the reliability of their cars.

An average Nigerian user rooted in ignorance about car maintenance can keep a Toyota brand running for several years with all kinds of abuse & lack of care which other brands cannot survive. I think this is the crux of this discussion and not personal prejudice @ preference.

My first car was a Honda product but I switched to Toyota due to constant visit to mechanics while using the Honda. In the last 8 years, I have had peace of mind using my Toyota cars. I have friends and neighbours who use other brands, our stories and experiences are not the same. A neighbour of my mine has a Cadillac SRT 2011 model, the boot of that SUV has been faulty and no mechanic has been able to fix it. She cannot open the boot. We have tried so many workshops yet, no hope.

Reliability and technical know how are a major consideration when purchasing a car.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 07, 2015
bravolad:

Some arguments are unimaginable. You use the first generation of Toyota Sienna yet you condemn the product. Try what you do with your Sienna with a VW, come back and tell us your experience.

I think we need to be real and understand issues in perspective. Those Toyota models being discussed here may not be exquisite in design but are solidly rugged & reliable. There's also a difference between aesthetics & reliability. This discussion is about the later. Most dudes here show overt hatred for Toyota and offer advise based strictly on the personal preferences. Their yardstick for comparison is faulty. All over the world, it is not debatable that Toyota is a reliable brand. They may not necessarily present the best aesthetic designs but you can't beat the reliability of their cars.

An average Nigerian user rooted in ignorance about car maintenance can keep a Toyota brand running for several years with all kinds of abuse & lack of care which other brands cannot survive. I think this is the crux of this discussion and not personal prejudice @ preference.

My first car was a Honda product but I switched to Toyota due to constant visit to mechanics while using the Honda. In the last 8 years, I have had peace of mind using my Toyota cars. I have friends and neighbours who use other brands, our stories and experiences are not the same. A neighbour of my mine has a Cadillac SRT 2011 model, the boot of that SUV has been faulty and no mechanic has been able to fix it. She cannot open the boot. We have tried so many workshops yet, no hope.

Reliability and technical know how are a major consideration when purchasing a car.

Of what use is a 5 seater SUV to a family person without the boot?

One is better off with a hatchback then.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 07, 2015
SailorXY:

the MDX is supposed to be luxury version of Pilot. if any 4Runner version competes with the MDX then that says a lot. they are not even built for the same purpose anyway. the 4Runner is truck-based which makes it a better off-roader & more reliable in any weather/terrain but lags behind in comfort. the MDX should be compared to the Highlander, let's not even look @ the Lexus RX
Dude u are delirious, an MDX beats an RX of same year hands down. I don't wanna go into details. But I find it appalling when u compare a bland highlander with MDX.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 07, 2015
kokaneprodigy:

Dude u are delirious, an MDX beats an RX of same year hands down. I don't wanna go into details. But I find it appalling when u compare a bland highlander with MDX.

Proof pls.... If none, better go to sleep and stop making such embarrassing lies.

Read thru these
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/103918-mdx-04-vs-rx330.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/24086-mdx-vs-2005-rx330.html

Its if you're choosing a later model comparison of both then I'll agree to MDX. But earlier models till 2006, nah.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by nurey(m): 10:43am On Jun 07, 2015
bravolad:

I have never debunked the fact that toyota is a reliable product but that not withstanding, other products are also reliable or even more reliable than toyota.

You talk about other brands, don't forget the ever rugged VW vanagon, the mercedes LT35 bus, mazda 2200 bus etc. Don't forget toyota too had some issues with cars like matrix with the pedal sticking to the floor and all. But I know the MDX and pilot are capable SUVs but whether 4Runner and Rx are better or not than the MDx/pilot its left for the individual willing to purchase them.
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by peterjero(m): 1:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
nurey:

I have never debunked the fact that toyota is a reliable product but that not withstanding, other products are also reliable or even more reliable than toyota.

You talk about other brands, don't forget the ever rugged VW vanagon, the mercedes LT35 bus, mazda 2200 bus etc. Don't forget toyota too had some issues with cars like matrix with the pedal sticking to the floor and all. But I know the MDX and pilot are capable SUVs but whether 4Runner and Rx are better or not than the MDx/pilot its left for the individual willing to purchase them.
Bros you dey spend for motor? No vex say I dey ask this question, my lecturer as far back as 2009 was driving a 1975 Toyota corrola green colour and since car is one aspect of my life I can't pretend about I asked why he still drive the car, he said everything about the car is soft yet reliable, the engine was still d original one that can with it. Back to my argument, you know why Toyota beats all car manufacturers they are present in all car category, bus viz big or small, suv- they other so called exciting brands to make SUVs, sedan, coupes, trucks, wagons, hot hatches etc. No other car manufacturer has more brands than Toyota even the famous GM. And each of their vehicle is famed for reliability and when you hear America shout recalls, they do so because their local brands ain't getting attention, when their brand has got even major issues with fire and security issues they are silent about it. Like I will always say Toyota isn't exciting to drive (which the average driver won't notice) but are very reliable. Vw beetle - bug is a disaster, same goes for the Mercedes first generation A class, and you name it
Re: Torn Between 4runner, Pilot And Acura Mdx by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 07, 2015
lomomike:

Proof pls.... If none, better go to sleep and stop making such embarrassing lies.

Read thru these
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/103918-mdx-04-vs-rx330.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/24086-mdx-vs-2005-rx330.html
html
Its if you're choosing a later model comparison of both then I'll agree to MDX. But earlier models till 2006, nah.
Dude we are in the present. I could have tolerated a comparison with RX, to think u actually compared MDX with a Highlander was way out of line. That was what got me posting else I could have looked the other way.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Mind Blowing Fun Car Facts You Need To Know / 12 Killed In Auto Crash At Ondo-Ore Expressway / BMW And Shell Unveils Future Hydrogen Refueling Station (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.