Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Endangered Languages - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Endangered Languages (1599 Views)

Different Languages Of Saying ."thank You" / Chinese Girl Writes With Both Hands At A Time, In Different Languages / Which Are The Two Languages Every One In The World Understands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Endangered Languages by hola2ng(m): 10:04am On Aug 07, 2006
Re: Endangered Languages by Oracle(m): 3:02am On Aug 22, 2006
Thatz true.
i watched something like that on CNN sometime, they brought one old woman and said that she's the only person that still speaks her language. she started teaching other people the language.

I don't ever think Hausa, igbo and yoruba will go into extinction as far as nigeria is concerned
Re: Endangered Languages by nilla(f): 3:14am On Aug 22, 2006
@ topic

i don't think most of our languages in Nigeria will be extinct with time. i do think a few will be, because there are currently some languages that are spoken by a little amount of people.

But i wonder, those languages that are close to being endangered is there anything that can be done about them also is there a need to preserve them? Ofcourse the original owners of the language are the ones that should be responsible for maintaining their language (by teaching their younger ones).

Because for one i dont see myself learning any other language unless its a major language that i'm interested in (such as yoruba, igbo, hausa, spanish and french). It will benefit me to learn these major languages just incase i get stuck in any of these places (so i dont look like a complete idiot). But i don't think it will benefit me to learn a language that has about 300 speakers (unless of course i marry someone that speaks that language).
Re: Endangered Languages by Oracle(m): 5:28am On Aug 22, 2006
there are so many languages in Nigeria, the common ones we know is hausa, igbo and yoruba.
Re: Endangered Languages by hola2ng(m): 8:06am On Aug 22, 2006
Re: Endangered Languages by nilla(f): 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2006
hola2ng:

Apart from languages being extinct, some animals too are on the endagered list.

true that
Re: Endangered Languages by iice(f): 6:28pm On Aug 22, 2006
Nilla i think you really passionate about endangered species grin Cool
@Topic, I agree with nilla, it's hard learning a language that only a few people speak what if you get stuck somewhere that the language is not used then you really are stuck then! But preservation of languages is good too, so teach i guess its about teaching others to communicate with the said language that will preserve it (Crap!! redundant lol. . .need to sleep)
Re: Endangered Languages by hola2ng(m): 8:01am On Aug 23, 2006
Some animals have become extinct because no one really cared if they existed, yea iice language is all about teaching and communicating so as to preserve it - If it is taken seriously enough !!
Re: Endangered Languages by Oracle(m): 8:51am On Aug 23, 2006
hola2ng:

Well i guess the only way to preserve any language is to teach people how to communicate with it.
Apart from languages being extinct, some animals too are on the endagered list.

it takes time to learn a language.
i'm talking from experience

Re: Endangered Languages by hola2ng(m): 9:17am On Aug 23, 2006
Yes it takes time to learn a language and to have a good grasp of it.
Re: Endangered Languages by Wumine(f): 5:40pm On Sep 03, 2006
i pray some languages become extinct in Nigeria!
Re: Endangered Languages by hola2ng(m): 8:33am On Sep 04, 2006
Wumine:

i pray some languages become extinct in Nigeria!

How's that !?

(1) (Reply)

Man Arraigned For Issuing Dud Cheque ! / In Naija We Say Things Twice / How To Start Browing Free With Your Glo Sim Card 24-7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.